Paul and Dawn: First Light

By gymnastgirlflips

Paul, now 17, decides to return to the Hoenn region to capture a Bagon and raise it to be a mighty Salamence... More

Chapter 1: Arrival in Hoenn
Chapter 2: Route 115
Chapter 3: Compromise
Chapter 4: Q&A
Chapter 5: Meteor Falls
Chapter 6: Deeper In
Chapter 7: First Breath
Chapter 8: Southward Bound
Chapter 9: Supplies
Chapter 10: Beginning
Chapter 11: Training Methods
Chapter 12: Continuance
Chapter 13: Supplies Surprise
Author's Note
Chapter 14: Mute
Chapter 15: Friends
Chapter 16: Labor
Chapter 17: Relaxation
Chapter 18: Survival
Chapter 19: Adaption
Chapter 20: Truth
Chapter 21: Tension
Chapter 22: Overpowered
Chaper 23: Hurt Pride
Chapter 24: A New Normal
Chapter 25: Pieces
Chapter 26: A Day Alone
Chapter 27: Dawn
Chapter 28: Late
Chapter 29: Three Days
Chapter 30: Battles
Chapter 31: Challenge
Chapter 32: A Different Strategy
Chapter 33: Apologizing
Chapter 34: Nostalgia
Chapter 35: The Rose
Chapter 36: Round One
Chapter 37: Round Two
Chapter 38: Victorious
Chapter 39: Lonely
Chapter 40: Distraction
Chapter 41: Complications
Chapter 42: Different
Chapter 43: Drama
Chapter 44: Questions
Chapter 45: On Accident
Chapter 46: Dozing
Chapter 47: Helen
Chapter 48: Moving On
Chapter 49: Falling
Chapter 50: Sketches
Chapter 51: Storm
Chapter 52: Payback
First Light Music Playlist
Chapter 53: Running
Chapter 55: Fracture
Chapter 56: Stolen
Chapter 57: Search
Chapter 58: United
Chapter 59: Rising
Chapter 60: Necessary Skills
Chapter 61: Right Reasons
Chapter 62: Time Alone
Chapter 63: Unexpected
Author's Note (Paul's Thoughts on Mega Salamence)
Author's Note: List of Future First Light Story Info
Chapter 64: Somewhere
Chapter 65: Laundry
Author's Note
Chapter 66: Sunset
Hidden Chapter: Chapter 49B
Chapter 49C- Stars
Chapter 51B- Do You Feel It? (Dawn POV)
Chapter: 52B (Dawn's POV)
Chapter 55 B (Dawn POV)
Chapter 65B: Petals

Chapter 54: Haunting

4.9K 188 201
By gymnastgirlflips

Chapter 54: Haunting 

There is something satisfying about being exhausted from exercise. It was hard to describe, but knowing one was attempting to become stronger to the point where they would sweat and bleed, would go through pain to the point of torture, was something I always appreciated about exercise. Yes, it was extreme, but those who went to extreme lengths were the ones who were the best at what they did.  

My Pokemon and I ran for hours that day. I don't know precisely how many, but we all could hardly move as we ran back to Dawn. 

"Make camp," I grunted to her, still trying to get air. Normally I would have waited until my breathing had calmed before seeing her, but I couldn't wait. I needed to sit, if not lie down, and breathe and be still while my limbs screamed at me, lectured me for going too far, too long, too hard on our run. 

Shut up, I told them as I crouched, wincing as my legs procrastinated from the movement. I sat down, resting against a tree trunk. If it weren't for my exercise I'd be weak. Just shut up so I can rest. I know it hurts. That doesn't mean you have to send me pain signals. I'm smart enough to determine my own health. 

I closed my eyes and breathed, listening to Dawn set up camp. When she finished I heard her feet move in front of me. "You went too hard." 

I chuckled. That was the most amusing thing I'd heard all day which is odd because normally I never would have found that even slightly entertaining. 

"What's so funny?" 

"Nothing." I opened my eyes and looked at her. Arceus, my muscles felt like mush. Is this what a Feebas felt like? It was horrible. 

"Are you even going to be able to move tomorrow?" 

"Of course," I said smoothly.  

Dawn looked at me doubtfully, but didn't argue. "Are you hungry?" 

"I should be." 

"Are you telling me you don't know?" 

I didn't even have the energy to shrug. "I'm tired." 

"You look like a mess."

I smiled at that too, something I normally wouldn't have done. "Do I?" 

"I'm sure you smell, too." 

"Naturally. I did just get done running for half the day." 

I closed my eyes against and heard Dawn unzip her bag. "I'll make dinner. You should at least have a little something." 

"Sure," I mumbled, feeling myself drift off.

I woke up slowly, noting how dark it was. I sat up and winced. My muscles were not happy with me. 

"Hey," Dawn said softly. 

I glanced next to me. She was sitting a few feet away against her own tree, Piplup in her arms. 

"How long was I asleep?" 

"Only an hour. Let me get you some food." Dawn put Piplup down after hugging him tightly to her chest. "I fed all our Pokemon too so no worries." 

Dawn handed me a plate of food. Now that I'd had some sleep and my body had calmed down I noticed how hungry I was. It woke me up. My muscles were no longer shaking, though they complained more as I moved compared to before falling asleep.  

I finished the entire plate and drank two bottles of water, glad to finally hydrate myself after sweating so much. I noticed how sticky my skin and clothes felt, wishing I could ignore the discomfort. 

I grabbed my backpack and put it over my shoulders, standing up. "I'll be right back." 

Dawn blinked a few times uncertainly. "You alright?  

"Yes." I studied her, frozen, watching me. "I'll be back in half an hour or so." 

"If you say so."

I began walking into the forest in search of a pond, a river, any source of water to bathe in. My legs argued with me the entire journey. It took me longer than expected to find a pond, but it was easily accessible from where Dawn had set up camp for us besides that time it took to walk here. 

The pond wasn't large. It was roughly the size of four Mamoswine huddled together in a circle. I'd seen much larger, but this was all I needed. I looked around, not seeing any Pokemon or humans in the vicinity near the water. With a deep breath, hoping moving would hurt less than it did, I began peeling off my sweaty clothes. 

Once I was done, I brought my backpack over to the shore and stepped in, submerging in clean spring water. The temperature wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm either. It was refreshing to be alone in the water, feeling my muscles relax, cleaning off grime that didn't belong on my body.  

I stayed longer than I should have, feeling at peace here in the dark, in the cool water. It was the first time in a while I didn't mind being by myself. Perhaps because I was too tired to want anything but necessities.  

After a long silence I decided it was best to get back to Dawn. I climbed out of the pond, wishing I had a towel. There was nothing I could do about it. As a Trainer I was forced to travel light. If I had to choose between food and materialistic goods I didn't need, my choice was simple.  

I heard movement through the trees and let out an annoyed sigh. Really? Right now, someone or something had to be near me? 

I grabbed my clean pair of clothes and attempted to stuff on my pants. I didn't even bother with the boxers. If I was going to get caught somewhat naked, I wanted to be wearing pants. 

What made the situation worse was how my legs hated every small movement I made, which was really unfortunate because I was in a hurry and my legs kept failing to go into the pant legs. This is why I never rushed anything. 

"Hey, Paul?" I heard from the same direction of the previous noise. 

Of course it was Dawn. And, really, I shouldn't have expected differently. Who did I think it would be, Joey? Not that I wanted him to catch me naked. Some part of my mind weighed the options- Dawn or Joey seeing me naked. Which would be worst? 

Why did I freaking care? 

I heard the water ripple and paused in my battle with my pathetic pants, glancing at the surface. Nothing was there. I swore at myself for getting distracted, though now my unease was starting to increase. I'd seen the water move and it wasn't because of the wind. 

I managed to get my pants up and buttoned the second before Dawn came through the trees. She gave me a worried look. "Where've you been? It's been over an hour." 

"I was getting cleaned up."  

"Oh." Dawn glanced at my bare chest before looking away abruptly. "Sorry for interrupting." 

"You didn't interrupt."  

A laugh came from above us. Dawn let out a little yelp while I looked for the source and moved closer to Dawn, instinctively reaching for a Poke Ball that wasn't there because I'd forgotten to bring my Pokemon with me. 

Stupid. 

They wouldn't be much help anyway, I thought to myself. They're just as tired as I am from today. 

The laugh echoed again, sounding deep and spooky. 

"What is it?" Dawn peeped. 

"Sounds like a Ghost Pokemon," I said before calling, "If you're here, show yourself. Don't be a coward." 

I felt the air move behind us and Dawn screamed. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I kept myself from allowing myself to flinch. Dawn hugged herself to me and I wrapped my arms around her, my eyes searching for the source of the laugh.  

"Show yourself," I ordered, done with games. 

A purple mass with a large tongue appeared out of thin air in front of us and yelled. Dawn cringed into me, hiding her face. I remained expressionless. It was just a Haunter, nothing more. Just a stupid Ghost Pokemon looking for fun. 

I wouldn't give it any fun and it would leave. 

"Just ignore it," I told Dawn. 

She nodded into my chest. 

The Haunter leaned closer, only inches away from my face. I felt it breathe on me but refused to recoil. It chuckled and stuck its tongue out. 

If that thing touches me or Dawn I'll kill it, I thought. 

The tongue lingered near my face for a good ten seconds before Haunter pulled away and studied me, obviously disappointed by my lack of reaction. 

"Are you done now?" I asked. 

Haunter frowned before grinning wickedly, hovering closer to the ground. 

"What's it doing?" Dawn whispered. 

"I don't know. " Right then, Haunted grabbed the bottom of my pants and pulled. I kept myself from swearing. "Cut it out." 

Haunter looked up, his eyes flashing mischievously, his hand tightening on my pants. 

This wasn't going to be good. 

I decided I wasn't going to take it and began kicking at Haunter, though he just let me foot ghost through his body. 

"Do you have a Pokemon?" I asked Dawn, shaking my foot that he kept putting his hand on.  

"No," Dawn said, staring with confusion at Haunter. "What's he even trying to do?" 

"He wants my pants," I stated, hating it. 

"Why?" 

I kept myself from swearing again and ignored Dawn. "Go away before I make you lose your afterlife." 

My threat only made Haunter laugh.  

"Haunter, will you please stop?" Dawn asked in a gentle voice. 

Haunter paused, let go of my pants, and floated to our eye level to stare at Dawn who tried not to look scared. 

"There's no point in torturing Paul. He's nice," Dawn said. 

Haunter stared at her like he'd never seen a human before. 

"Yeah, I mean I guess he can be annoying sometimes," Dawn added thoughtfully, looking at me while I stared at her in disbelief. "And he used to be a real jerk and I don't blame you for wanting to prank people like that, but Paul's a good guy. It's not like he did anything to hurt you." 

Haunter grumbled and eyed me suspiciously. I did just try to kick him in the face. 

"So will you stop bothering him please?" Dawn asked sweetly.  

Haunter floated backwards a foot, obviously disappointed in defeat. 

"Thanks, Haunter. You're the best." Dawn smiled. "Would you like to go back to camp with us? We have some extra food." 

Haunter hesitated before nodding. 

"Cool. Ok, well I'm heading back," Dawn announced. 

"I'm staying here a few minutes." 

"Why?" 

"I'm half-naked."  

Dawn was still clutching me like a life preserver, her face against my bare skin. It was the first time I'd realized how nice her skin felt against my chest. 

Haunter snickered. 

Dawn took a deep breath and unglued herself from me. "Oh. Right." 

I tried not to be disappointed by our lack of contact. "I'll be there as soon as I'm dressed." 

"Right. See you." Dawn gave me a hesitant glance and looked at Haunter, wondering if he would follow her. He seemed dedicated to annoying me and uninterested in her, so she left after giving me a worried glance. 

I glared at him. "Really? My pants?" 

Haunter laughed manically. 

"Turn around while I get dressed," I ordered him as I put on my shirt. 

Authority wasn't something he respected as a wild Pokemon and, instead of turning around, I noticed he'd picked up my clean pair of boxers. 

"Give them back," I snapped. 

Haunter grinned. 

"Give. Them. Back." 

He opened his mouth and extended his tongue. 

I lunged at him. 

A few minutes later I got back to camp, disgruntled.  

"Where's Haunter?" Dawn asked, looking around as if he was invisible and trying to scare her. 

"As long as he's not anywhere around here I don't care where he is," I said. 

"What happened?" 

"I am one pair of boxers short. That's what happened," I seethed, sitting down and grabbing Weavile's Poke Ball, glad to have a Pokemon's power clutched in my hand. 

"Should I ask?" 

"I don't want to talk about it." 

Dawn gave me this look that was torn between amusement and worry. "Well then, I guess this is good night." 

"I hate that Haunter."

"I thought you didn't want to talk about it." 

"Good night." I pulled out my sleeping bag and unrolled it. I climbed inside, still too mad to sleep. 

"I didn't know you were scared of ghosts."

"I'm not." I attempted not to scowl. "But when anyone messes with my boxers, Shinx is going to happen." 

"I'll keep that in mind."

I rolled over to look at her. She was smiling softly, her eyes lit playfully. 

If only I was in the mood. 

"Good night, Dawn." 

"Sweet dreams."

Hey guys!

I feel like I've tortured Paul a lot, don't you? I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'm not sure when my next update will be, but probably no sooner than two weeks and I'll tell you that in the comments too if you ask. If you liked the chapter, as usual, make sure you vote, comment, and/or follow (if you aren't already).

Thanks to all of you for supporting First Light! It means the world to me and I'm so blessed to have such dedicated readers. 

Pokemon Question of the Day: What's the scariest thing about Pokemon? I'm thinking more Ghost-related stories like Lavender Town, but if you think something else is scarier (like Iris's hair) then that'll work as an answer too.  

Thanks again! Have an awesome day here in the non-Pokemon world. One of these days us fans should all agree to have a national "pretend Pokemon are real" day and drive everyone crazy by challenging them to battles when they pass us. That'd be fun.

-Flips

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24K 1K 52
Ash was unexpectedly selected for Kanto High academy - one of the most popular academy in all regions. There he met with all his friends - new and ol...
36.6K 408 20
(If you're not reading this on Wattpad, you're reading an illegal copyright version of it) Although this is marked as complete I will still post and...
8.9K 538 28
**COMPLETED** In which Paul Ikari, a high school senior, encounters a girl who's all alone, Dawn Berlitz. The two, grudgingly forced to spend their t...
163 1 39
A strange looking pod crashing lands within the outskirts of Japan leaving a shocking power reading following after it in dead of night awakening nea...