No Matter What

By trishthewriter

How far will they go to keep a promise? Misty and Jason are just nine years old when they make a promise to s... More

No Matter What
The Beginning
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
A New Beginning
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Epilogue

Chapter Four

11.5K 117 3
By trishthewriter

Misty:

One week. That’s how long it took Misty to finally break down and give in to her urge to see J.D. again. Of course, she didn’t admit to herself that’s what she was doing. Instead, she told herself she was just in the mood for some coffee and maybe a slice of pie. It was a lie. She knew it, but that didn’t stop her from getting dressed in her tightest jeans and lowest cut top. Nor did it stop her from brushing her hair until it gleamed.

A different hostess was on duty for the night shift, but she gave a knowing smile when Misty asked if J.D. was working that night.

“Yeah, he is, but his section’s full.”

“That’s okay,” Misty said, suddenly wondering why she’d come. “You can just seat me anywhere.”

“You know, if you’re looking for some time alone with him, you could buy a raffle ticket. There’s still time.”

“I don’t think so,” Misty said, trying to fight off the blush she felt in her cheeks.

The bright eyed hostess looked at her as if she’d lost her mind. “Are you sure?”

“Oh, all right,” Misty finally gave in.

Again, she told herself another lie. She told herself she was only buying the ticket to get the pushy hostess off her back, but she knew better.

“Great,” the hostess said, beaming at her. “Are you ready to be seated?”

The only thing she wanted was to get out of there, but she was afraid of what that would look like. She was grateful when the hostess led her to a table in the corner of the restaurant, where she was sure to stay out from under J.D.’s radar.

There was no need for a menu. Misty knew what she wanted. Seeing her closed menu, the waitress immediately came to take her order and returned with it just as quickly. Only two sips in to her plain black coffee she spotted him. The moment she did, she couldn’t take her eyes off of him. Though he wore a pair of loose fitting carpenter jeans, they didn’t detract from the perfection of his slim hips and muscled legs and thighs. The sleeves of his white T-shirt had been rolled slightly to reveal his ropy, bronzed arms. As she nursed her coffee, she watched him in fascination. There was no question of his confidence as he moved from one table to the next, expertly flirting with old women and young girls alike.

In that moment it occurred to her how foolish she was being. Just like a teenager with a crush, she’d chased this man down at his place of business just to be near him. She wondered what he’d say when he realized what she’d done. Well, there was no way she was going to let him find out. As soon as her waitress flitted by Misty asked for the bill. It was then that she realized J.D. had spotted her. Even as far away as she was, Misty could see the recognition in his eyes. Without waiting for the waitress to return, she dropped a five dollar bill on the table and slipped out the side door. The safety of her car was only a few feet away when she heard him calling her name, and she had no choice but to turn and face him.

“Oh, hi,” Misty said, trying to sound casual. 

 “Why are you running away from me?” J.D. asked.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Misty lied, and surely J.D. knew it was a lie as he watched her cheeks flush with heat.

“Yes, you do.”

“I wasn’t running away from you,” Misty forced herself to laugh. “I was just here for coffee which I finished, and now I’m going home.”

Finally, J.D. grinned at her. “You came here for coffee?”

“Why else would I come?”

“You tell me.”

“I did tell you.”

“You want to know what I think, Misty?” he asked, giving her a long and soulful stare that made her insides turn to mush.

Before she had time to contemplate the inexplicable way he’d aroused her just by saying her name, he suddenly reached out and pulled her into his arms. As their lips and tongues came together, a cyclone of emotions swirled inside of her, none of which she could explain. The way he kissed her and the way he held her, she sensed he understood everything about her. Kissing him felt safe yet exciting, and she momentarily allowed herself to sink into his arms. And then the strangest thing happened. Jason’s face flickered behind her closed eyelids. Panicked, her eyes flew open.

“I can’t do this,” she said, already pulling away from him.

“You’re not doing anything you don’t want to.”

“I already have done something,” Misty insisted, though she knew there was no way he could understand.

“I know how you feel about me. It’s the same way I feel about you. I know it, and you know it,” J.D. spoke softly as if afraid of frightening her away.

Misty hesitated. As wrong as she knew it was, she couldn’t deny her attraction to him, nor could she deny she felt more than attraction to him. There was something comforting in the depth of his eyes just as there was in the way he’d kissed her.

J.D. suddenly took a step backward. “I can see you need some time to think. When you’re ready to give in to your feelings, you know where to find me, Misty.”

Misty’s confusion deepened as she watched him turn and walk inside the restaurant without looking back. Several minutes passed before she finally got into her car, closing the door with a heavy thud. The irony of the gesture wasn’t lost on her. One door may have been closed, but another one had just been opened. Now what?

J.D.

Everything happened faster than J.D. had been ready for. Her appearing in his life, her alone in the restaurant tonight, her sudden flight when she spotted him watching her. When he said her name, she hadn’t questioned how he knew that information and he was glad. He wasn’t sure how he would’ve explained it to her. It was instinct that had made him take her in his arms and kiss her. As he’d held her, he’d felt their bodies and souls molding together. He’d known in that moment he was in love with her, but something had gone wrong. Misty pulled away from him. Though she didn’t offer an explanation, she didn’t have to. J.D. knew the reason for her fear as surely as he knew the secrets of his heart.

It had been fifteen years for him but only a few days for her. When she pulled away, he backed off too, determined not to push her away and lose her forever. There was no doubt in his mind Misty would come to him when she was ready. All he had to do was be patient, something he’d become an expert at.

Misty:

While having lunch with Caitlyn a few days later, Misty confided in her that she’d gone to see J.D. Caitlyn listened silently, her jaw dropping lower with each sentence. By the time Misty got the whole story out, Caitlyn’s chin was practically scraping the ground.

“I can’t believe he kissed you.”  

“I know. I wasn’t expecting that.”

“It’s kind of romantic though.”

“Do you think I should go out with him?” 

“Are you kidding?” Caitlyn scoffed. “I mean, he’s definitely romantic and very sexy and a little mysterious. That’s a very volatile list of qualities. You’d be a fool to let him get away.”

Misty hesitated. “I don’t know.”

“Yes, you do. That’s why you went to see him and why you’re telling me this now. You know if you don’t see this through he’ll always be a question mark.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means you’ll never get him out of your system. You’ll never be able to move on because you’ll always be pondering the what-ifs.”

Caitlyn was right, and she knew it. That wasn’t the problem. The problem was Jason. There wasn’t a day that went by that she didn’t think of him, but he’d never been so strong in her mind as he had when she’d kissed J.D., and she couldn’t understand why.

J.D.

In spite of his determination to be patient and let Misty come to him, in spite of the fact that his heart told him she would, J.D. was worried. Several days had passed since she’d come to see him at the restaurant, and he hadn’t seen her since then. As he waited for her to come around, questioning a hundred times whether or not he should’ve kissed her, he grew anxious and even fearful that he’d pushed too hard. While he waited for Misty to make the next move, he tried to avoid talking to his mother. Emily was not going to be put off that easily though, and after a few days of silence she showed up on his doorstep.

“Mom?” J.D. said, surprised to see her. “What are you doing here? I could’ve been at work. You’re lucky you didn’t make the drive for nothing.”

“Are you finished?” Emily asked with an amused smile. “Because if you are, I’d love to come in and have something to drink. This heat’s got me parched.”

“Come in,” J.D. offered as he grinned back at her.

“Love to,” Emily crowed and stepped inside.

She took a seat on the couch and waited for him to bring them two glasses of ice cold lemonade. As she took carefully measured sips, she eyed him thoughtfully and J.D. tried not to squirm. His entire life, his mother had the uncanny ability to read her children’s minds. This was one time he didn’t welcome the intrusion.

“What’s on your mind, Mom?”

“Oh, not much. I was just waiting for you to tell me.”

“Tell you what?”

“Tell me about the woman who’s got you all tied up in knots.”

Though he’d expected her to figure it out, he was still surprised. It must have shown on his face because Emily laughed her knowing laugh. J.D. was silent for a moment as he debated how much to tell her, but Emily waited.

“I met a woman I really like.”  

“That much is obvious.”

“I like her, and I think she likes me. I want to see her again.”

“What’s the problem then?”

“I haven’t dated in a while,” J.D. said, which wasn’t entirely a lie.

“It’s just like riding a bicycle,” Emily assured him with a silly smile. “You might be a little shaky when you first get back in the saddle, but once you get your sea legs under you, you’ll be back to form in no time.”

“What kind of bike are you riding that has a saddle and works on water?” J.D. teased.

“The kind that doesn’t smart off to his mother,” Emily quipped. “Now, pull yourself together and ask her out, and when you’ve been out with her a few times I expect you to bring her to the house so your father and I can meet her.”

“You’re getting ahead of yourself.”

“Maybe and maybe you should learn to trust your old mother.”

“You’re not old,” J.D. joked.

“You’re hopeless,” Emily sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Okay, Ma, I’ll take your advice.”  

“Good, and don’t ever call me Ma again,” Emily said, and J.D. grinned at her.

For now, his mother dropped the subject. For now, she would let the sleeping dog lie and give him the chance to get on the bike, or back in the saddle, or whatever it was. He just hoped that for now would pass quicker than the past few days had.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 363 9
Wilhemina Venable x Fem!Reader. Your stuck with the woman who has tormented you every business day, but feelings you once felt begin to resurface as...
253 1 62
In a world where darkness never seems to end, Sierra's life starts as a really sad and lonely story. Her childhood was full of terrible things, makin...
176K 3K 34
BOOK 1: GRIDLOCK BOOK 2: LOCK UP BOOK 3: UNLOCKED * it is advised to read the first two books in this series to fully enjoy the final book * ~~~~~~~...
262 57 23
"Promise me that you always by my side.Don't leave me...Please..." "I promise you with all my heart." Will this promise will be forever?What if it's...