The Descent

By TechieInAK

After Denton foils a terrorist attack at an Intergalactic sporting event, he finds himself racing to save his... More

Chapter 1 - The Eternal Sun
Chapter 2 - Discovery
Chapter 3 - Breakthrough
Chapter 4 - The Point of No Return
Chapter 5 - The Descent
Chapter 6 - Exit
Chapter 7 - Darkness To Light
Chapter 8 - The Ghost
Chapter 9 - The Search
Chapter 10 - The Revelation
Chapter 11 - A Familiar Face
Chapter 12 - The Chase
Chapter 13 - Sarge
Chapter 14 - The Invitation
Chapter 16 - Boarding
Chapter 17 - Disintegration
Chapter 18 - The Arrival
Chapter 19 - Mars Arrival
Chapter 20 - Detention
Chapter 21 - Departure
Chapter 22 - The Arrival
Chapter 23 - Back To Work
Chapter 24 - Into The Storm
Chapter 25 - Rain
Chapter 27 - The Approach
Chapter 27 - The Runner
Chapter 28 - A Clue
Chapter 29 - Extraction
Chapter 30 - The Hike
Chapter 31 - Crash Landing
Chapter 32 - Landing
Chapter 33 - Forsythe
Chapter 34 - The Chase
Chapter 35 - Revelation
Chapter 36 - The Truth
Chapter 37 - In Transit
Chapter 38 - Mars
Chapter 39 - Evacuation
Chapter 40 - The Visitor
Chapter 41 - The Panther
Chapter 42 - On The Run
Chapter 43 - The Terminal
Chapter 44 - Anticipation
Chapter 45 - The Edge of The World
Chapter 46 - The Depot
Chapter 47 - Into The Dark
Chapter 48 - Dark and Cold
Chapter 49 - Beneath The Surface
Chapter 50 - The Confrontation
Chapter 51 - Into The Depth
Chapter 52 - Trapped
Chapter 53 - The Escape
Chapter 54 - Missing
Chapter 55 - Going In
Chapter 56 - Pursuit
Chapter 57 - Recovery
Chapter 58 - Alive
Chapter 59 - The End of the Road
Chapter 60 - Peace
The Descent (The Original SciFi Challenge Story)
Bonus Chapter: Quid Pro Quo
Thank You For Reading And What's Next?

Chapter 15 - The Aftermath

629 89 25
By TechieInAK

"I am not going to Earth," Denton said forcefully as he stood by the window in the sergeant's office, glaring out the window at the city below. "I'm not going. Why should I have to?"

"Staxx, you really don't have much of a choice," the sergeant responded from behind his desk, a pen tapping rapidly against the desk surface. "You got us into this mess, so it's on you to clean it up. What were you even thinking, visiting a foreign embassy without the proper authorization? A heads up would have been nice. You're lucky I was able to get through to the ambassador and warn her you were on your way."

"You make it sound like I'm some kind of criminal."

The sergeant shook his head and sighed. "You're not a criminal, obviously, but in this case, your behavior was completely unacceptable. You just can't do that. You know better."

Denton turned and faced the sergeant and his desk. "But they let her go, Sarge, I just couldn't let that slide. Gabi is the key to this whole thing, and you know it. Without her, this case is going nowhere fast."

"I should remind you, Staxx, that you almost caused a diplomatic incident with your stunt. The Colonel is breathing down my neck to have you stationed at some distant moon until you're walking with a cane. In fact, he'd rather not ever see you again."

Denton sighed and walked over to the chair in front of the desk and sat down. "You know how I feel about Earth, right?"

The sergeant nodded. "Of course I do. But in this case, Staxx, there's really not a whole lot I can do about it. You made the mess, you got to clean it up."

Denton shook his head. "I'm telling you, she knew exactly what she was doing. She practically taunted me. I bet you she knew my history and about my past experience with Earth. As far as I'm concerned, this should have been a diplomatic incident."

"I thought you said she was nice?"

"Well, yes, she was. She was very accommodating and, well, diplomatic. She actually made the whole thing seem like no big deal. I walked out of her office and even felt pretty good about going to Earth. It wasn't until I was on my way over here that I realized what had happened. I'm telling you, Sarge, she's a master manipulator."

"Maybe she is, maybe she isn't, who knows? The point is, it's a done deal. Either you go to Earth, or you won't set foot on Proxima b for a very long time. It's that simple. It's your choice, Staxx."

"Maybe some isolated chunk of ice would be better," Denton muttered as he ran his hands through his hair. The thought of going to Earth made him feel sick to his stomach.

"You don't mean that."

"Look, my whole family..." Denton said and then let his voice trail off. There was no point in bringing up the tragedy again. The sergeant already knew everything. He looked up at his superior, nodded and sighed. "Alright, I'll go, but I'm telling you, I don't feel right about this. We're being played somehow, I can feel it. She was too quick to pull me into her office and offer a solution, pretending to have diplomatic relations in mind. I'm not buying it."

The sergeant leaned forward. "You know, I bet you're right, and if that's the case, this is a great opportunity to prove your point and gather some intel while you're at it. Solve the case and show the Colonel it would be a mistake to get rid of you."

Denton shook his head and leaned back in his chair. "I don't like it."

"Noted," the sergeant said as he slid a stack of papers across the desk to Denton. "Here's all your travel information. You'll have digital copies as well but..."

"I know, I know, you prefer hard copies," Denon said and started flipping through the pages. He paused on a page that looked like a personnel file. "Who's this?" he said and showed the page to the sergeant.

"That's your guide. He'll meet you when you arrive in Earth orbit."

"Oh, a babysitter?" Denton said and threw his hands up in the air and rolled his eyes. "So, I'm invited, but I only get to see what they want me to see? Is that it?"

The Sergeant put his hands up in the air. "I'm just telling you what they told me. I don't know what his role is besides being your guide."

"Can I at least bring Tanner with me? I need his analytics if I'm going to solve this."

"Tanner? I don't know..."

"It's the least you can do if you're forcing me on this mission. I need some sort of backup, someone I can trust."

"I thought he drove you nuts?"

"He does, but at least I know what to expect from him."

"I'm not sure, the logistics of sending both of you to Earth, it's a nightmare. Not to mention the cost. The Colonel will have a heart attack."

"You want me to solve this thing or not?"

"Staxx, bringing Tanner is not just a matter of packing a suitcase, and you know it. He's heavily dependent on the data network and resources he's connected to here. Traveling, his knowledge and his ability to help you will be severely diminished. I don't think it's a good idea."

"It's better than nothing. Besides, he's a fast learner. He only needs to be connected to the Terran network, and he'll be all set. Even if he can't, he can analyze any data I feed him much quicker than I can."

The Sergeant sighed and thought about it for a moment, then nodded. "Alright, Tanner comes along. I'll make it happen."

"Thank you, Sarge."

 "Don't thank me yet."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.6K 2.7K 25
✨️WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST + AMBYS Top Pick, Science Fiction! ✨️ | Gio, a man jailed for a crime he didn't commit, becomes an augmented human in exchang...
46 9 17
When no one knows you're alive, its liberating and confining. It's one of the best things that can happen to you, especially if you're a villain! Yo...
30.3K 3.2K 39
There is no Planet B. Actually, there is. -------------------- [2021 WATTYS SCI FI WINNER🎉] [WATT-MULTIVERSE FEATURE] [HIGHEST RANK: #1 in LGBTPRID...
13.2K 869 36
{WATTYS 2023 WINNER} [Updates Every Monday & Friday] • Book 1 of the Daegelus series • While hunting for his missing friend, Elijah stumbles upon a f...