TOXIC ~ STEVE ROGERS [1]

By junosgarden

Book One in the Lies Series {Avengers Fan fiction} Keight comes from a troubled past but that doesn't stop he... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Twenty Two

4.3K 127 44
By junosgarden

"SHEILD monitors potential threats," Natasha's voice brought me back to the current situation.

"Captain America is on a potential threats watch list?" Banner said angrily. "How is that even possible?"

I looked around as each voice got louder and louder. As my eyes flicked to Natasha, I saw her looking from the screen to me, back and forward. I glared at her.

"Fury, what's this?" I yelled. Silence. All eyes were on me. Natasha shook her head at me, urging me not to say anything. But I ignored her.

"These files? They're more than just reports on my abilities," Tony was studying the files now. "These photos go back to when I arrived in New York. You've got my fight pattern analysed. How can you even do that?" I said harshly. Tony looked up angrily.

"Brain activity? Sleep patterns? Radiation output? That's some pretty illegal stalking," he said.

"I've had my abilities, what, a couple of days? But based on these files you've known it would happen for years. You've been watching me so you can what? Hook me up to some reactor and power the whole world?" I almost screamed, I almost launched myself at him. There was rage burning through my veins, and I felt my hands and spine begin to tingle furiously.

"It would have been a last resort," Fury began.

"You're talking about using a person as a power source. That's beyond inhumane!" Banner said harshly, the words sounded odd coming from his quiet mouth.

"I think both you need to calm down," Natasha said, trying to sound soothing. I shot daggers at her with my eyes.

"Uh, Keight? There's something on these files I think you missed," Tony called out. I spun around, my fists clenched as lightning zipped over my body.

"I don't think you want to look at that," Fury warned.

"I have every right to look at it," I spat and peered at the screen in front of me. Tony pointed to a diagram of my body.

"See this? Now I'm not a biologist but I'm smart enough to know that when a close up of your DNA has parts labelled 'Unidentified sequence' it's something to worry about," he said, glaring at Fury.

I must say, I was suprised to see another Asgardian on Earth.

Thor was staring at me, waiting.
"So he was right," I muttered, in shock. My mind felt numb, filled with cotton balls and unable to function.

"Who?" Banner said, asking the question the whole group was thinking.

"Loki. He talked to me on the mountain. Said he was suprised to see another Asgardian on Earth. I thought he was trying to trick me at first, but then it made sense," I said, staring at the screen.

"It makes no sense. How can you be alien?" Banner questioned, the scientist in him taking over.

"It makes sense because really, how can a human body hold the amount of power I have? You know I'm a walking bomb, right?" There was silence at my words. "If I went too hot, if I pushed myself too far, I would turn nuclear. That's not the kind of power a human could have. I have to be alien," I finished.

"Or half," Tony piped up. "Only half of your DNA is foreign. The other half seems relatively human. Meaning, you had one alien parent, not two." His words felt like bullets. Only one alien parent. Oh yes, so much better.

"That's no excuse to have plans to use her as a power source!" Banner exclaimed. Thor chuckled smugly, his arms folded.

"You speak of control yet you court chaos," he said gleefully. I could have punched him. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't particularly like Asgardians.

"It's his M.O, isn't it? I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're, we're a time bomb," Banners face was getting redder by the second. My fists were still clenched in anger, and I could feel the energy in my veins, waiting to be released.

"You need to step away," Fury warned Banner. Tony, on the other hand, grinned hugely. He slung his arm over Roger's shoulder.

"Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?" He said cheerfully. Rogers shrugged him off coldly.

"You know damn well why! Back off!"
Tony came face to face with Rogers.

"Oh I'm starting to want you to make me."

Tension was running high, and the only people who seemed unaffected were Natasha and Thor. Thor watched everything with amusement, while Natasha watched gravely.

"Big man in suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?" Rogers said harshly. He was beginning to sound less like a perfect soldier and more like what I would imagine a real life Slytherin to sound like.

Tony continued to stare into his eyes.
"Genius, billionaire, Playboy, philanthropist," he rattled off. Rogers looked him hard in the eye.

"I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. Yeah I've seen the footage," he paused, almost like for dramatic effect. "The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

I let out a breath a hadn't even realized I'd been holding.

"I think I would just cut the wire," Tony mused, knowing it would piss off Rogers even more.
He was right.

Rogers smiled, not a nice smile but a terrifying one, one that had seen pain and suffering and was only shown when he was truly angry.

"Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

Tony looked at Rogers, and I could tell by the steely look in his eyes a nerve had been hit by Rogers words.

"A hero, like you?" He said harshly. "You're a lab rat. Everything special about you came out of a bottle."

A beat.

Things were getting out of hand. I stepped forward, still very angry and possibly about to get out of control.

"That's enough," I growled. I got no response. I was ignored. I had the sudden feeling that this was exactly what Loki wanted. Our mismatched 'team' falling apart before it even had a chance to be together.

"Put on the suit. Let's go a few rounds," Rogers challenged, and I could almost smell the testosterone spiralling through the room.
Thor laughed loudly.

"You people are so petty. And tiny." I glared at him and he noticed. He stopped laughing and studyed my face intensely. I looked away, feeling uncomfortable.

Tony rubbed his neck and stepped away from Rogers.

"Yeah, this is a tee.." Banner muttered. I admit, I had no idea what he meant.
Fury glanced at Natasha before speaking.

"Agent Romanoff, would you escort Dr Banner to his-"

"Where? You rented my room," Banner said sarcastically.

"The cell was just in case-" Fury started.

"In case you needed to kill me, but you can't! I know! I tried!" Banner yelled.

In that moment, in the few seconds before he began to speak again, I realized how selfish I was. Here I was, making things all about me, all about my curse that has just been given to me, and here was Banner, who'd had to deal with his curse for years. He'd gotten so low, he felt he couldn't do it anymore. He'd had no one, isolating himself to a part of the world where all he could do was help people. I had always had people there for me, and even now I had people willing to try and help me, even if I couldn't be helped. I made myself a promise, right there. I would help this team, because honestly? It didn't seem like a team at all.

"I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on. I focused on helping other people. I was good, until you dragged me back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk!" Banner looked angrily at Natasha. She stood, unfazed. I, on the other hand, hastily lit a cigarette to try and calm myself, much to the disgust of Rogers.

Suddenly, Banners hand reached out and grasped hold of the golden scepter on the desk behind him.

"You wanna know my secret, Agent Romanoff? You wanna know how I stay calm?" He said threatingly. Both Fury and Natasha went for their guns in fluid motion.

"Dr Banner, put down the scepter," Rogers stepped forward, arm out.

I puffed on my cigarette, and quickly realized I had made mistake.

The nicotine didn't make me calm.

It got the energy in my veins pumping faster and stronger than before.

It fueled my anger.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

A New Hope By Mo

Fanfiction

133K 2.7K 20
She had never seen the outside world. Never seen the sun or felt the breeze. All she had ever known was the cold metal walls of the lab she had been...
16.8K 345 27
[CONTAINS SMUT] Going away for two years can be difficult, especially when you are going to another realm. But when you comes back things have change...
138K 4.1K 24
(A Dark!SteveRogers/Captain Hydra AU) Everyone thinks he was lost to the ice - but they could not be so very far from the truth. Wren Reed is underc...
21.5K 508 26
Y/N was trained by HYDRA, and has been for as long as she can remember. She has become more dangerous than you could imagine, and she has been given...