Chapter Thirty-Seven

Steve took me to Annie's Diner, of all places. Not that I was complaining, of course I loved a good burger, but it suprised me that's what he picked.

It was a small diner, just outside the vicinity of the alien clean up. When we walked in, there were only a few people seated in the booths, none of which looked up when we arrived. I had put dark sunglasses on to hide my eyes, and my long hair was tied up in a ponytail. Steve looked a regular farm boy, with his checkered shirt. It looked good though. I noticed the girl who served us checking him out as we ordered, and it bugged me.

We sat down in a booth with tattered red seats. Steve sat opposite me, and crossed his arms. I pulled out the small silver box that Tony had given means set it on the table. Steve leaned forward curiously.

"What's in the box?" He asked, looking from the box to me, to the box again. I shrugged.

"I don't know. Tony gave it to me," I undid the latch on the lid and opened it up.

Nestled inside were two circular white containers, one with the letter R and one with the letter L. I pulled them both out and placed then ok the table.

"What is it?" Steve asked. I studied the boxes.

"They look like contact lenses containers," I glanced at the box and saw a small note on lined white paper. I unfolded it and read it out loud.

Keight,

My team (I mean me by the way) has been working on these while you were in confinement. They're contact lenses, but with a complex targeting system on each. This way you'll actually hit your targets when you fire. You're welcome. They also change colour to brown, whenever you want to go out in public. I know you don't want to be known. The targeting system and colour change can all be controlled via your phone, which I've already programed. They are like regular contacts, in that you can't wear then to sleep. But you can wear them swimming.
See you around kid.

You're welcome.
~Tony

"These will definitely make a difference," I said, folding the note away. Steve looked me in the eyes.

"I thought you said you didn't want to fight for anyone? Get it done and get out?" Steve recalled our conversation from the quin jet on the way to Germany. It seemed so long ago now.

I looked out the window, out at the rubble and the ruin.

"Well, I think I'll stick around a little longer," I turned to him and smiled. Steve stayed serious.

"Why?"

My smile disappeared. I cleared my throat and cracked a few knuckles.

"I guess, I can't go back to what I was. And my friends, they're safer if I'm not there. I don't have any where else to go," I couldn't make eye contact with him. I was letting out my feelings, which wasn't something I normally did. Opening up seemed easy with Steve. He had a look of genuine interest on his face, and there was something about him, something about the way his eyes glittered at me, and the way the corners of his mouth turned up when I spoke. I almost felt safe with him.

"So Fury offered you a place at SHIELD?" It sounded like Steve had been offered the same deal. I nodded.

"And you?" Steve looked down.

"Yeah. I guess that means we'll be working together," he said, just as the waitress delivered our meals. I gave her cash, and told her to keep the change. I sipped my drink.

"That's not so bad," I chuckled. Steve cocked his head.

"No, its not," he said, looking straight into my eyes, the bright blue mesmerizing.