Chapter Twenty Three

The computer behind Banner beeped repeatedly.
"Got it," Tony said, breaking the tension filled silence that swayed above us. Banner put down the scepter, not even realizing he had picked it up.

"Sorry kids. You don't get to see my party trick after all," Banner walked over to the computer. I puffed out some smoke, letting to drift over to Thor who looked utterly confused as to what I was doing. He shook his head and focused on the scientists.

"Located the Tessaract?" He asked simply. Tony didn't even nod.

"I can get there faster," he said.

"Look, all of us-" Rogers started.

"The Tessaract belongs on Asgard. No human is a match for it." Thor said. I agreed. That thing needed to go, so I could get out of here and somewhere safe.

Tony turned to leave, but Rogers, being Rogers, called out.

"You're not going alone," he said seriously.

"You gonna stop me?" Tony taunted. Roger stepped closer to him.

"Put on the suit let's find out."

"I'm not afraid to hit an old man," Tony said coldly.

"Put on the suit," Rogers repeated. I was honestly just about to step in and wave my cigarette around when Banner exclaimed.

"Oh my God!" He yelled.

That was when the explosion happened.

I'm not even sure what happened. It was so fast and yet so slow at the same time.
My cigarette floated from my hand to the floor.
Like a whirlwind, an arm wrapped around my waist and I was wrenched to the floor, a few feet short of the door. I hit the ground hard on my right shoulder, and my head smashed to the floor.
Black.
I felt something heavy on me, rubble or a body I couldn't tell. I saw stars in my mind, and felt something sticky dripping down my face.

"Put on the suit," a muffled voice above me said. I opened my eyes, and everything seemed blurred.

"Yep," the sound of mad scrambling beside me.

"Walsh? Are you alright?" Rogers was right above me, basically on top of me. His arm was still around my waist from where he had grabbed me before. I wiped my forehead with my hand, and looked down at the blood glistening there. My stomach clenched.

"I'm fine," I gritted my teeth and stood up, a sharp pain running through my shoulder.

Rogers nodded, and ran off after who I assumed was Tony. Fury was clutching his ribs on the ground a few feet away. I couldn't see Natasha or Banner, but I assumed they were down below judging by the hole in the floor.

"Hill!" Fury said into his earpiece. I looked at him, waiting for answers or orders or something. I'd been cocky before, and now that the real action was upon us I needed leadership. I didn't know what to do by myself.

Fury stood up wincing. His good eye looked into mine.
"Loki," he said, and I nodded.

Loki.

I sprinted through the hallways, fire extinguishers and alarms going off in every direction. It was havoc, agents running everywhere, yelling out orders and carring guns bigger than my arm. I rounded a corner and Tim passed me, a grim look on his face.

"Tim! What's happening?!" I asked, stopping him.

"We're under attack," he said, before turning around and running down the hallway.

My heart pounded as I ran into the containment unit where Loki stood, smiling mischievously at nothing. He head snapped around as he heard me enter.

"Come to join me, Keight?" He said slyly. I swallowed nervously, and stood up straighter. He needed to believe I was on his side. Maybe, he might tell me something of importance.

"Of course," I said, batting my eyes. He grinned wider at me, and I felt sick.
I felt the ground shake beneath my feet, and a distant roar. Loki looked away from me, delight in his eyes.

"This was your plan, wasn't it?" I said, stepping closer to the giant glass case he stood in.

"What was?" Loki teased. I couldn't help but feel attracted to him, to his tall frame, haughty face and bright eyes.

"To split us up. To make us fight and distract us from what was really happening. And to release the beast," I said, trailing my hand across the glass. Loki watched it with interest and what almost seemed like lust.

"And what is really happening?" Loki taunted me, his eyes raking my body, waving over every curve.

"Barton. He's here to break you out," I said, guessing with a limited amount of certainty in my answer.

"Ahhh," Loki breathed. "I was rather hoping you would be the one to do that."

My body seized, muscles tight and breathing shallow. However much I was attracted to Loki's devilish good looks and charm, I was also terrified of him.

"I thought you might hesitate. It's the human in you," Loki drawled, pacing the length of his cell. I was speechless, but Loki spoke for the both of us.

"You've grown attached to those mortals since the last time we spoke, I can see," he commented. My tongue managed to untie itself for a moment.

"Well, some of them aren't so bad," I said causally.

"But?" Loki prompted. I cleared my throat.

"But they're also idiots," I said, stepping so close to the containment my breath fogged up the glass. Loki stepped closer also, his face inches from mine separated only by the glass and the air around it.

"And you're not?" Loki said. The ground shook. I heard gunfire and yelling. I should have gone and helped. I could have done something. But Loki's eyes had me mesmerized, and I stood still, my heart in my head.

"What do you think, God of Mischief?" I flirted unintentionally, without being able to stop myself. It was like a spell, like something out of a dream. My eyesight was shiny, like disco lights were going off in my brain.

Loki grinned.
"I think you're smarter than the rest of those filthy mortals out there. More.... powerful," Loki whispered. I put my hands on the glass, the heat from them condensating the glass.
My head felt fuzzy, and I think I smiled giddly at Loki.

"I am very powerful," I said slowly. Lights glittered in the sides of my vision.

"Mmm," Loki mused, and moved away from the glass, and walked to the other side, nearer to the control panel. I followed instinctively, rushing to be by his side.

Fight it. Fight whatever spell he has on you.

The voice in the back of my mind rebelled against Loki's magic, but it was slowly silenced when I looked at him again.

"Get me out of here, Keight. Get me out and I will help you rule," Loki's voice was smooth and silky, like honey. I couldn't resist, however much the voice in the back of my mind protested.

"Rule?" I asked, starry eyed. Loki looked at me with lust and admiration.

"By my side, ruling the mortals of Earth together," his words sounded like music, sweet and smooth and tough all at the same time.

Stop it. Don't let him take you. Don't let him.

But I did.

"Yes, rule," I whispered, turning away from the glass and looking over at the control panel.

"Go," Loki encouraged. Part of my head said no but my legs obeyed Loki's command. They took me over to the control panel, where I opened the plastic lid where the buttons to open the containment were. Loki watched me in anticipation. My hand hovered over the button. A part of me, the sane part didn't want to push it. That part of me knew it was wrong. But most of me was enchanted by Loki's words, his smile and his eyes.

So I pushed the button.