Cat Fight In The Kitchen-Watt...

By TigerLily7

This is all terrible writing advice, but we have fun. More

Cat Fight In The Kitchen-Wattpad Rant
Comments
The Werewolf Stories-Part 1: History
The Werewolf Stories-Part 2: Modern Literature
They're Doin' It
Names
Character Descriptions
Subtle Clues
Teen Pregnancy-The Happening
Hospital Scenes
Makeovers
Dialogue
The Monthly Visitor
One Direction Adopted Me!?!?!?!?
The "L" Word
The Human Body
Charities and Fundraisers
The Golden Boy
Make Me A Character
Virgins versus Sluts
How Not to Be Boring
How Not to be Boring (continued)
So Beautiful
Body Image
Continuation on Subtle Clues
The Male Best Friend and Gossip
Inside the Mind of a Man
Being Rude for the Hell of It
Labels
Teen Pregnancy- Finding Out
Cliché Conflicts
Glorifying Abuse
Long Term Effects of Abuse
You Saved Me
Romanticizing Sexual Assault
Life after Sexual Assault
Age Discrimination
A Downfall of Research
Sensitive Topics
Fast Paced Stories
The Male Best Friend Being Overprotective
Weird Personal Rituals
Fix You Plots
Bad Boys
Perfect Characters and Plots
Musicians
Writing a Male POV
Smut
Twenty Things
Gray Areas
Fangirls
She Was Asking for It
Living with a Bunch of Guys
FanFiction
Suicide
Things that Aren't Actually Romantic
Ten Common Misconceptions
No Offense But...
Unhealthy Relationships
Wattpad Parents
Male Best Friend Q&A (Part 1)
Male Best Friend Q&A (Part 2)
Things Writers Need to Stop Doing with their Female Characters
Bad Writing Advice
Things Writers should know about Trauma/Abuse Backstories
Top Three Worst Things about "Bad Boys"
Twists on Classic, Cliche Romance Moments
Fun Date Ideas for Romance Writers
Anorexia
Single Dads and Teenage Daughters
Top Five Things to know about Falling for the Best Friend
Tips for Writing Traumatic Backstories
Things to Stop Doing in FanFiction
Student/Teacher Stories
Things Writers Should Do with their Female Characters
Kidnapping/Stockholm Syndrome
Things to Stop Doing with Male Characters
Players
Where to Find Inspiration
The Tragedy of Love Triangles
Prodigies
Common Misconceptions about Male and Female Best Friends
PDA
Why I Hate Dialog in Dramatic/Traumatic Scenes
Real Issues for Teen Fiction (That Aren't Romance!)
Things that Happen in Books (But Not Real Life)
Mental Illness
Things Writers Should Do With Male Characters
What is a Strong Female Character?
Siblings
Bullies/Bullying
Point of View
Things that Aren't Actually Romantic (Part 2!)
Things Writers Claim Only Happen in Novels (But Are Wrong About)
Dystopian Stories
Things Writers Should Stop Doing
Fantasy
The Young CEO/Billionaire
Trigger Warnings
Writing Suspense
The Popular Crowd
Weak Characters and Character Weaknesses
Stupid Readers
The Great Big Character Depth Rant
Tomboys
Character Voice
Overused Plot Twists
Super Relatable Characters
Why Female Characters Suck
Horror Stories
Let's Get Physcial(ly Descriptive)
Wattpad vs Reality

Writer's Block

483 19 4
By TigerLily7

My best friend doesn’t go by his first name (and hardly anyone knows that, so y’all should feel special that I’m sharing such a scandalous secret with you), but he makes very pretty “J’s” so it’s a shame.

If you were wondering where this came from, he just signed a contract for the job he’s wanted for FOREVER and I’m super proud of him and excited for him and just all around happy for him. He sent me a picture of the contract, and it had his pretty name on it and it makes me smile…and I’ll shut up now, because this has nothing to do with the rant. I’m just insanely ecstatic for him and his wonderfulness.

And I like having random intros that are completely pointless.

But I’ll stop indulging myself and we’ll talk about: Writer’s Block

I personally don’t believe in writer’s block, but that’s not the point. (It’s simply a limitation of the mind, not a complete inability to write and therefore it does not exist in those terms.) But don’t worry, I’m not gonna preach about that.

Although laziness is the biggest cause of not writing (I’m guilty of just being too sick or lazy so don’t jump my ass. I’m not saying it’s bad to be lazy) another factor is fear. (Joe Rogan anyone? I love him.) They think that writing is supposed to be something that comes naturally.

There’s this lie going around that “real” writers always know what they’re doing. They can sit down and write masterpieces because it’s in their nature. So I’ll let you in on a secret:

That is bullshit. If you find writing easy, I feel bad for you.

Ripping yourself open and bleeding on paper is one of the hardest things you can ever ask anyone to do but it’s also one of the most rewarding. Not everything has to be hard, but you shouldn’t be able to simply write something unless it means nothing to you.

That’s what makes writing so amazing. Because it means something to the writer. Because it’s a cathartic experience whether or not it’s based on real events.

If you find it easy to write you’re doing something wrong, in my humble opinion. (But what do I know…I typically don’t care much for all the crazes everyone else has)

But aside from all that, I have tons of suggestions, so let’s get started!

Usually if you find that you can’t complete the next chapter it’s because there’s a problem with the conflict. You have to remember that without conflict, there is no story.

So reassess.

What is the driving force being the story? What is the big idea? What are the characters fighting for/against?

Maybe there are too many conflicts or too few. Do you have a balance? Are readers going to get confused about what’s happening and why? Are all the conflicts necessary to reach the end? What do the conflicts achieve?

Once you answer those think about the characters themselves.

How are your characters handling the conflict? How do they get from the start to the end? Do the characters change or stay static? What role does each character play?

Answer all these questions. All of them.

When that’s over, you should have a good direction to go in. If you have too many conflicts, write a chapter that brings a few of them to an end. If you have too few, write a chapter that sparks a new conflict.

And if that doesn’t work then we’re back to the fear factor (JOE!). You cannot be afraid to sit down and write complete shit. You cannot be afraid of that, because every writer has written something terrible. It’s better to have a page full or crap than a blank page.

Why? Because EDITING. You can edit bad writing. You can’t edit a blank page.

Literally write down everything you want to happen in the chapter and don’t worry about literary devices or imagery. Don’t worry about anything but the plot. Don’t worry about how pretty it is.

Just write.

And when you go back to edit ask yourself questions. How did the character feel? Why did the character do it? What did it accomplish?

What does the scene look like? What did it sound like? What does your character smell or taste?

Ask about everything. Pretend like you’re stupid and you have no idea what’s going on in the story and ask why. Why does it all happen? How? How does it happen? (If you can’t do that, send it to me. I’ll ask TONS of questions (all of them equally stupid.))

Ask about everything and then answer your own questions.

It’s so simple, really. I’m one of those crazy people that LOVES editing, so I also find it fun.

And if none of that works, I have something guaranteed to work that I’ve actual taken from a couple of different writers: pretend you’re writing a letter to a friend.

Sit down and pretend that you are going to write out a chapter and email it to a friend.

It might sound really dumb, but I promise that it actually works and I’ll tell you why.

Isn’t it less intimidating talking to a friend than trying to accomplish writing an entire novel? I mean, seriously? Just thinking about all the chapters and pages and even parts is daunting. It makes me want to procrastinate on my procrastinating.

But then think of all the things you say when you talk to a friend. You tell them about your day, your thoughts, your ideas.

So why not do it with a story?

Write it like you’re telling a friend about your day, but instead you’re telling them a chapter of your story.

It’s kind of weird at first, but it works. Seriously. Try it sometime.

And if you really need help getting in the act, you can always write it up and send it to me. Follow through with the idea that it is seriously just an email or a letter. If you want, I’ll even give you an email address to send it to and if I have time I’ll give you a little feedback!

Just try it. I’ve written tons of things that way, because it’s easy. It’s like I’m literally going to sit here and tell my best friend all these things that happen with the little people in my head (that makes me sound crazy, but that’s okay.)

So try some of these things and see if they work.

Or better yet, share some of the things you do to help inspire you to write! I’d love to hear them and I’m sure other people would to! Don’t be shy; share away.

And just so we don’t have a repeat of the last rant, I’m just going to tell you that I’ll be gone so I may not reply right away. I took all my finals in two days and I’m busy with some other important/boring/God awful stuff, so I’ll be around when I feel okay or have some free time.

Other than that, I’ll get back to all the PMs/comments/emails when I can! Stay pretty, my lovelies!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96 8 5
Carl grimes fan fiction! This will include smut, fluff and other warnings which I will address at the start of each part. Enjoy!
869 86 38
random stuff. Questions. Facts. Rants. Stupid, stupid spellcheck. You name it, I'll do it. Seriously, I take suggestions. And If you want to k...
20K 545 33
I hope y'all enjoy my horrible writing about fantastic people.
4.4K 100 52
The cover is shit oop Why do you guys like this book I'm just writing random shit down how is that entertaining? also I don't like this book whatsoev...