Straight-Faced

By wwl1102

Cameron Macias was gay, but he knew how to deny the fact with a straight face. More

act more straight
milk and eggs
logan
your average résumé
my first kiss
my high school experience
it's not okay to be gay
the toll of fame
interviews
hair gel
rules of being cameron macias
references
eighteen
the note on the napkin
onion pizza
the same blue eyes
rethink
one week
day one
day two
day three
day four
day five
plot twist
rash and rational
calm before the storm
#thatprettygirlonTD
shelter
eventful
gospel
redo
baby don't hurt me
code reds and pinks
carpet
drama queens
couple goals
mission
accomplice
target
almost the resolution
afraid
bliss
apart and together
in which things go wrong again
magazines
shatter
future
goodbye
left was right
announcement
community and family
hope
satisfaction
A.N. - thank you

miscommunication

6.7K 562 155
By wwl1102

"We are going to find you a girlfriend," Mike had announced at our monthly management team meeting.

"I have a boyfriend," I had brought up for the first time.

Everyone at the meeting suddenly seemed a lot more awake.

Mike stared at me for a few seconds before nodding curtly. "Exactly."

That had been yesterday. I hadn't broken the news to Luke yet, and honestly, I was a little uncertain about doing it. Of course he deserved to know that I was asked to fake-date a girl, but I was slightly scared of his reaction to the information. I doubted that Luke would hate me for it, but I also doubted that he'd be happy about it. I had been putting off telling him so that I could do it in person.

I'm here, I texted Luke as I stood on the front porch of his house.

door's unlocked, he responded a few seconds later.

I pushed the door open, stepped inside, and kicked off my shoes.

As I walked by the kitchen, I saw Luke's mom chopping vegetables on a cutting board. She still wasn't particularly fond of me, which was understandable. I had "turned her son gay", which was pretty rude of me.

Luke's mom and I made eye contact, and I decided to work on winning her over. "Hi, Mrs. Mitchell," I greeted her with slightly forced cheerfulness. "How are you?"

Mrs. Mitchell smiled politely. "I'm okay, thank you. How are you...?"

She had forgotten my name. I couldn't be too offended because I forgot names pretty often, even though I was dating her son. Maybe she wasn't ready to fully accept it yet. Again, totally understandable.

"Cameron," I reminded her. "And I'm pretty good. Where's Luke?"

"Upstairs," she replied.

Not wanting to continue the awkward exchange, I let our conversation drop. I said "thank you" to her and used it as an opportunity to escape.

I found Luke in his room. He was sitting at his desk, scribbling on a sheet of notebook paper. He looked up, and he instantly brightened when he saw me in the doorway.

"Hey."

I walked over to him and sat down in his lap. "Hi."

Luke laughed and shoved me. "Get off, fatass."

We moved to sit on his bed. Luke seemed a little tense, so he had probably had a long day. That made me feel really guilty about what I had to tell him. I told myself that it was better to do it sooner than anything else. I wasn't sure how to bring the topic up, though, so I decided to start a conversation based on a familiar routine question.

"How was your day?" I asked him, tilting my head to look at him.

"Uneventful," Luke answered. "Went to school, took a test, failed the test, have to retake it in a week. You?"

"Online classes. Stressing. Food. Not in order by amount."

Luke frowned. "Are you okay?"

I was surprised by how genuinely concerned he looked. I knew that I had people in my life who cared about me, and I was so lucky for that fact, but it was easy to forget sometimes.

"At the moment, yes," I said. "Ask me again in a few minutes. There's something I need to tell you."

I sat up a little straighter, and I hated myself for almost making a joke about it.

Luke nodded. "Okay. What's on your mind?"

I picked at a loose thread on his bedsheet. "Remember my manager?"

Luke groaned. "I don't like where this is going. If I'm being nice, then he can go die in a hole."

I smiled a little. "What if you're being mean?"

"I'm never mean," he informed me with a shrug.

I raised an eyebrow. "Right..."

Luke snickered. "Have you told him about us yet? I bet his homophobic ass is furious."

"And there's the problem." I took a deep breath. "My manager wants me to date a girl."

"Oh." Luke was quiet for a second. "You don't have to, right? He's always wanted you to, but you haven't been forced to since..."

Tiff.

I shook my head. "He's serious this time. He's got the girl picked out and our dates scheduled and everything."

He knew what I was going to say next, but he prompted me anyway. "And...?"

I sighed. "I can't refuse."

I TRIED, my brain screamed. I'M SORRY.

"Cameron..." Luke waited for me to look into his eyes. I didn't want to because I could already picture them by his tone of voice. I willed myself to lift my chin up anyway, and when I did, I regretted seeing what I had caused.

"Do you think we should break up?"

I had braced myself for a lot of different responses, but not that. My heart threatened to stop beating right then and there. I couldn't comprehend why he had asked that question. I searched his face for any signs to show that he was kidding, but I couldn't find any. He was dead serious, and I didn't know how to handle this.

I wanted to say "no, obviously", but then I realized that it wasn't obvious. There was too much going on in our worlds for anything to be obvious. Uncertainty was another name for our relationship.

"Why?" I asked softly.

His face fell. "Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that."

I didn't reply. If he had said it, then it meant that the thought had crossed his mind.

Luke wanted to break up with me, and it was all my fault. No one wanted a relationship where the hardships outweighed the happiness. Of course I had to ruin all the good things in my own life. I could blame it on my situation, but it was really just my nature.

"Cameron?"

I couldn't look at him anymore. I didn't want to listen to him either. He was just going to support his stance, and he would be absolutely right. I didn't want him to have a point in this, but I knew that I'd be wrong if I tried to argue. Really, our relationship had been doomed from the start. It was just now that I had to make myself accept it.

This must be the storm that Luke had been talking about.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Dilemma By Ty

Fanfiction

34K 1.1K 17
Nash Grier has never thought of himself as gay. So why is he having all of these feelings for his best friend, Cameron Dallas? It doesn't help when h...
2.4K 146 35
Cameron and Toby have always flown under the radar, never really being noticed by anyone. But they're keeping a HUGE secret. Since the ninth grade...
312 17 11
It all began with the summer of 2017. Caleb tried so hard to get the love of his life, but it wouldn't be easy. Because Brian, was as straight as the...
173 25 21
Life is difficult, teens are difficult, school is boring and annoying. Cameron Lancaster thinks this, he hasn't had the best Life, coming out at 14...