Once Upon a Neighbor

By gkotiaho

She was the girl who held all the guy's hearts. He was the first one to give his heart to her. She was the o... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20

Chapter 7

92 5 0
By gkotiaho

Chapter 7

Jamie

Sunlight streaked in through the dark blue curtains, and landed on the plush carpet in front of the bed. Jamie turned onto the side facing away from the window only to fall off the side of the bed. Letting out a loud groan, she rubbed her eyes with the palm of her hands before fluttering them open. Someone chuckled to the side of her and she turned her head to face the person.

Thatcher. Why is he here, in my bed?

The events of last night slowly creeped back into her mind and she groaned again. She had told him about Andrew.

Why in God's name did I do that? She asked herself, with the shake of her head.

"Hey, Jay." His voice brought her back down to reality. "What are ya doing on the floor?"

Jamie looked up to him, the whites of his eyes contrasting his smooth milk chocolate skin. He was handsome, more handsome than he had been to her in last year. Not shocking, really. Thatcher would always stand out to her, not because of his skin color, but because of how much he cared for her and that he made sure to talk to her everyday, even when she didn't respond.

"I- I fell. What are ya doing in my bed?" She stuttered. He knows about Andrew. HE KNOWS ABOUT ANDREW!!!

Oh God, he's going to ask about Andrew, Jamie concluded as Thatcher leaned over the side of the bed with a concerned face.

"As far as I'm concerned, this is my bed now." Thatcher teased easily, opening a new playful conversation. Instead of going for his bait, Jamie shook her head.

"I'm going to shower. No need to wait for me." She said hastily, pushing herself up onto her feet.

"Its not a problem, I can go down to my house to shower and then I can come back up so we can hang." Thatch smiled at her but she just shook her head.

"Why not?" Thatcher asked.

How is he not getting it? Jamie pondered. She didn't want to hurt his feelings but at the same time she didn't want to be around him.

"Thatcher, I just need some space."

"Why, Jay? I mean, its not like we slept together." His black eyebrows furrowed.

She sighed, starting to get annoyed. "That means leave." Jamie pointed to the door.

His arms crossed over his muscular chest to let her know he wasn't budging.

"Whatever." She swung her aunt's guest room door open and took step onto the wood floor with bare feet. Thatcher's soft hand shot out and grabbed her arm.

"What's the bruise on your tailbone from?" He asked and she visibly stiffened.

Wren said that nobody would notice it, Jamie thought bitterly. Wren was one of Jamie's best friends from Minnesota. He was the gay best friend that every girl needed, and a perfectly hilarious and adorable one at that.

"Gymnastics." She answered shortly and tugged her arm back.

"Liar."

"I'm not lying." Jamie ground her teeth together. Why does he think I'm lying? It really IS from gymnastics!

"Yeah you are. Don't think I can't tell when you lie."

Jamie tensed. "Get out, Thatcher."

"What? Did I hit a sore topic? Ha. Get it? Because the topic is your bruise?" Thatcher joked, but Jamie was in no mood for his care free and joking attitude.

"Leave, Thatcher."

His face went from playful to serious with those words. Shock and hurt filled his brown eyes and Jamie took care to look anywhere but them. Eye contact would make her weak, she decided.

"Wha- why?" He asked slowly.

"Do I have to repeat myself?" She ground her molars together. "I told you to leave. You should have left the first time I told you." With that, she left a confused Thatcher standing in the doorway of her aunt's guest room, and shuffled into the bathroom. The door shut behind her with the flick of her wrist and then she locked it for good measure.

Her breaths were sloppy and fast and she knew that she was going to break down any second. So she took a few steps forwards, slid the clouded glass door open and cranked the shower on. There was a sudden flash of cold water which sent shivers down her arm, and sprung goosebumps onto her flesh.

Numb. Thats what she felt inside and the freezing temperature of the water just reflected that.

Maybe I deserve to feel this way. Inside and out.

Without a second thought, Jamie slipped the large hoodie over her head and dropped it onto the tile floor. Her shorts, underwear then sports bra were the next things to fall to the floor. She turned and looked into the framed mirror and just stared at her naked reflection. The girl in the mirror had full curves and a gorgeous face and body. But that wasn't her. The girl that she found herself to be was hollow, broken, flawed and scarred. And that was all she would ever be.

Jamie took a few steps away from the mirror and slid the glass door open. A cold draft greeted her instead of the warm steam she was accustomed to.

Change is good.

She stepped onto the cold tile of the shower floor. Her large hand reached out and slid the door shut again. Shivers ran all over her body as the ice cold water jetted down onto her. A numbness spread around her tan skin and when she exhaled she released a fog of Co2 release. The air swirled around like smoke being blown out by an addict.

An addict. An addict. An addict.

Nothing she could do could save her from the Ghost of Mistake's Past, and the memories from last week.

"A B C D E F G...." she started singing quietly. "H... I." Jamie's singing was cut short by a rapid shiver that ran throughout her body. This cold feeling reminded her of winter in Minnesota.

Minnesota.

Her teeth chattered from the cold rain of water, but her hands shook from anger. She hated Minnesota with a passion. It had taken so many things from her.

Her life in Texas. Her friends from Texas. Her beautiful bikini body. Her kinship with Jayden. But worst of all, it took her family.

Jamie could feel frozen tears starting to run down her face but other than that she felt nothing. And she wanted to feel something. Something that now replicated the fire that was burning inside her heart, consuming any hope of happiness, any butterflies in her stomach, any inch of joy, and any burn of passion. With cold, shaky hands, she reached out to turn the shower to the hottest temperature it could be. The change of the water temperature took a moment, but the change on Jamie's skin was almost instantaneous.

A warmth spread all over her, heating up her skin and turning it red with the sudden change. It was a fire, flames dancing on her arms and legs, the burning not unlike the burning inside. Deep. And painful.

Finally, when her skin was bright red, and body warm to the core, she shut off the shower and clambered out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her chest.

When she reached the room she was staying in, which was just across the hall, she locked the door behind herself and walked to the closet. Dropping the towel, she opened the sliding wooden doors and grabbed a pair of underwear and a bra and pulled those on. After those were securely on her body, she grabbed fhe fuzzy forest green robe she had hanging up and tugged that on too. Then she walked over to the outlet where her phone was plugged in and sat down beside it, pulling her knees into her chest. Jamie leaned back, head resting against the wall after unlocking her phone and placing a call.

A few rings later, there was a click, telling her that the person answered the phone.

"Mom, hey...."

A/N: This chappy don't make very much sense now does it? Well it will. This is only chapter 7 so its not like everything is going to be explained right away. Geez. Anyways, to the few reading this, I am sorry this took so long to write. I personally like writing in Declan's POV better so yeah. Also I am in the city of New Orleans so its super humid and I have been tired lately. If ya haven't already, check out my story Letters to the Little Me!

Like always, that one has more reads so it will be updated more often!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147 0 14
Samantha had always been the new girl, moving from place to place as her parents pursued their careers. When she started her senior year at a new sch...
1.3K 1 73
After another lost season in the NFL, Scout Ranger is under a lot of pressure. He is tasked by his owner and general manager, who also happens to be...
279 53 27
Small town girl named Rose. who lost her mother when she was very young. Rose lives with her father but he is very depressed as his wife is no more w...
293K 6.3K 50
Brooklyn Robins was left to be raised by her 7 brothers after her mom died and dad had abandon them a few years prior. Her brothers have always been...