Balloon Animals (Girl Power S...

By moudenes

Overwhelmed children events stylist Tania Martin needed an assistant, and only ex-adult film star Devin Cole... More

Chapter 1 - Vacancy
Chapter 2 - Barista
Chapter 3 - Interview
Chapter 4 - Rentals
Chapter 5 - Farm Birthday
Chapter 6 - Back to the 80s
Chapter 7 - Carnival
Chapter 8 - Beach
Chapter 9 - Boho
Chapter 10 - Art
Chapter 11 - Pirates
Chapter 12 - Safari
Chapter 13 - Chef
Chapter 14 - Tea Party
Chapter 15 - Arabian Nights
Chapter 16 - Roaring 20's
Chapter 17 - Science Party
Chapter 18 - Supervised Visit
Chapter 19 - Halloween
Chapter 20 - Paris
Chapter 22 - Coffee Talks
Chapter 23 - Losing You
Chapter 24 - Change of Plans
Chapter 25 - I Spy
Chapter 26 - Christmas Tree
Chapter 27 - Uncelebrated
Chapter 28 - Cuban Passion

Chapter 21 - Familia

4.1K 335 31
By moudenes

I didn't tell him I love him... did I?

After surviving a nasty cold, I'm not sure of what I did, said or what happened between Saturday and Monday. I woke up on Tuesday feeling a whole lot better, but with fuzzy memories.

I guess Devin figured out I would be indisposed and amnesic because I found a sticky note on my laptop saying the party of last Saturday went fine and the check was in my purse. I did find it so it must be true. What freaked me out is that under the note he wrote Peyton's cat and I love you too.

I stick the note back on my notebook. Devin grins while he works making favor bags and I wonder if it is a joke.

The video call tone on my phone rings and the ID says it's mom. After answering, I hear ruffling sounds but my screen is black.

"Mom?"

"You need to turn the camera on," I hear one of my brothers say.

"I'm pressing it but nothing happens."

After he stops laughing, the video starts and I see him.

"She was pressing the actual lens," he laughs.

"I'm not a technology moron!" she complains. "Give me that! How are you mija?" she says in a too pleasant tone.

I'm suspicious about what this call could be about but I play along.

"I'm okay. And there?"

"Good, good. I'm calling you because I need your handy party skills."

A-ha! She usually calls to complain about the guys, so I knew such a greeting was to ask something of me.

"What are you planning?" I ask and look at Dev, who seems busy counting boutique chocolate bars but I know is listening.

"Oh, just a little get-together. Mostly family."

"Ma, there are like 50 of only those."

"And some friends and neighbors. Something simple. You probably have something to decorate in that magical shed of yours. With fall colors, and pumpkins, a forest theme. I already ordered the food. The usual, congrí, vaca frita and yuca con mojo. Natilla for dessert. That friend of your dad who plays in a salsa orchestra will come by with a few friends to take care of the entertainment."

"Why do you need me then? Everything is planned and probably you have more decorations at home than me in the storage."

Mom laughs lightly and fans her face.

"Oh, you know me too well. I was calling to invite you and to bring your boyfriend."

Boyfriend? I look at Devin who shakes from his silent laugh.

"Why do you think I have a boyfriend?"

"People talk. Even more when they see my daughter smooching with a man at the parking lot of Biggies. So, see you later. Told the family to be here at seven."

I'm so shocked I can't move or talk. Devin grabs the phone from my hand.

"See you then, Mrs. Martin. Thank you for the invitation."

Something like a scream and a giggle leave my mom's mouth before Devin hangs the call.

"What am I gonna do?" I lament.

"Seems you are going to dinner at your parents with a boyfriend in tow."

"But Dev... you and I... we- are we in a relationship?"

Devin smiles as he caresses my cheek. "Not if you feel we are rushing things. Let's go to your family and enjoy the night. I can just pretend we are together."

"You don't understand. My family can be... intense."

"I'll jump that ocean when we are there."

We continue preparing for the two upcoming events. As always, Devin looks like a magazine model and doesn't even need to change clothes. I put on a dressier outfit than the hoodie and leggings I wore earlier, and we leave to my parents. The 40 minute ride feels like an eternity.

The street has cars parked everywhere. We find a spot at the end and walk towards my parents. Kids run and play all over the place. Scattered around the den, the teens are glued to their phone screens.

"There you are!" I hear my mom say from the kitchen.

Suddenly, we are surrounded by all the females in the family. The chicken coop noise is loud enough that the kids even lift their eyes from their phones to stare at us.

"You are quite the looker!" one of my aunts says to Devin while cupping his face. "And he has blue eyes! You are lucky he likes you!" she says to me.

Here we go...

"I'm the lucky one," Devin says and the female population let out a collective sigh.

"Does he have money?" a cousin asks.

"Or a brother?" another adds.

"If you take care of your little problem, you can even make babies with this one," another aunt says.

My eyes roll involuntarily.

"I'm comfortable financially, but I'm not rich. I do have a brother, although I'm not sure Mason is boyfriend material," my cousins giggle as he looks at them. "And about Tania not being able to have babies, we have each other and that is enough," he says while looking at me lovingly.

Does he mean it? Isn't it a deal breaker?

"Enough! Let the guy breathe."

Ricky parts the sea of women and places his arm around Dev's shoulders and brings him to the back terrace. I follow them as I have no desire to hear any more comments. The family men are glued to a projection screen watching a game, beers in hand.

"Here you go," My brother presses two bottles in our hands. "Avoid the kitchen and you will avoid trouble."

The game goes to commercials and my brother introduces Devin to the others. Contrary to the women, they chat without making a fuss out of it and for the first time, I see what the future could hold.

"How are you baby?"

I smile at those words and turn around to find my dad.

"Where were you? Hiding at the shed?"

"You know me well," he chuckles.

"Can I join you?" I look at Devin who has joined the guys and is discussing the game as passionately as them. I guess he can survive without me for a few minutes.

I walk outside with my father and sit on a low stool.

"So that is the 'boyfriend'..." the corner of his eyes crinkle.

"Oh, don't start on that." I say and he laughs.

"Seems like a nice guy. A good match for you," he busies himself organizing the tool box.

"Wanna know the truth? I'm not sure he is."

My father's face shows surprise and I feel the same. I really like Devin, but something doesn't make sense.

"How come you have doubts?"

"I think he's hiding something. No, I don't think anymore. I'm sure. I just don't know how serious it could be," I shrug.

"Have you talked with him about it?"

"Tried to bring it up, but he changed the topic as quickly."

"Trouble with justice?"

"Or a double life. I don't think he has another woman since he's always available when I need him. He has introduced me to friends and his family, but he's so fuzzy on the details about his past."

"Tania, what could be so terrible about his past that might change your mind about him?" Dad places his hands on my shoulders.

I reflect on my dad's words and can't think of anything. Just like Devin said when I hired him, he only had a few speeding fines when I ran a background check on him.

"You don't need to know about his past. People change, you know? If he's respectful and treats you well that is all what matters."

"Do you cook all that wisdom between sawdust and pots of varnish?" I tease him.

"I guess I do. Enjoy the party. Your mom can be nagging at times, but she went through all this effort because she loves you."

My dad holds me in his arms and gives me a sweet kiss on my head. We walk together to the house and find out that food is being served. Devin sits at the couch on the den with a plate piled high with food.

"This tastes amazing," he says as I sit next to him. "Only it has so much garlic and onions we won't be able to kiss like for a week," he laughs.

A plate gets pushed on my hands by one of my aunts.

"You need it to make babies. You are too skinny," she says before returning to the kitchen.

I look at Devin who is having trouble hiding a smile.

"They are totally obsessed. As if gaining 20 pounds will miraculously make me ovulate. I know, too much information. Get used to it around here," I say before digging in my food.

"It's cute. Your family is great."

My dad's words repeat in my head as I look at Devin. He fits perfectly in this environment. Never in my life I've felt so comfortable with anyone. Do I really care about whatever is he wants to keep private?

As we continue eating, my dad's friend finishes mounting his musical equipment. We watched amused as five guys make so much noise you would think we had a full orchestra.

"Come on, let's dance," I grab Devin by the arm and he looks terrified.

"I can't dance Tania! At least not to this music!"

I ignore his words and bring him to the dance floor where part of the guests are already busy showing their moves. Devin tries his best to follow and Ricky takes pity on him and teaches him the basic salsa step.

The noise reaches me first and like a swarm of bees, my mom and my aunts break the party. My mom has a shocked look, while some of my aunts and cousins look angry.

"Tania, how you dare bring this disgusting man into your parents' home! Asqueroso," one of my aunts say.

"Mom? What's going on?"

"What's going on is that your boyfriend is a cochino," another of my cousins say.

Dirty? A pig? What the hell? I look at Devin who has gone pale and his lower lip trembles.

"Your boyfriend is a porn star," the son of one of my cousins say, making the other kids present laugh naughtily. "You are dating Dean Dallas. It's all here in this video if you want to watch him in action." he shows me a mobile that his mom then snatches from his hand.

"Sorry," Devin whispers and hurries out of the house before I get to say or do anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238 18 7
He shrugs and ducks his head so he can look into her eyes. "Now may last forever." Her breath stills as she hears the weighted words. "Cole, I don't...
10.3K 184 39
This story starts in 2015. It will progress into 2019, so bear with me! Your name is Rachael Lynn McMahon. Yes, daughter of Vince McMaho...
145K 4.7K 63
"Okay fine, I'll admit it. He's hot. Like super duper duper duper hot. And yes, maybe I'm a little attracted to him, maybe not, who knows" "He is kin...
21.4K 1.2K 25
A Fatima Story