Behind Closed Doors

By Neffy1996

I'm royally screwed and I mean that Literally. One day I was graduating from Yale, and then the next day I wa... More

Behind Closed Doors
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7: (Connor's P.O.V) Say Something
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Epilogue: Happy Birthday, Your Royal Highness

Chapter 20

7.3K 255 10
By Neffy1996

I took short, clipped breaths as I stared ahead at the television set, the words Breaking News flashing in my mind over and over again. I had to see him, I had to see if he was doing fine.

When I stood my legs grew shaky and I crashed back down on the couch. What had happened in the hour and a half that I was home? Who had shot him?

***

Connor's POV

I smiled over at the rented limousine that Jennifer currently occupied as it pulled out of the private parking garage.

"Sir, " Phillip speaks catching my attention.

"Yes Phillip? " I ask, turning to look at him.

"Your father wants to see you. "

My father wanted to see me? I really didn't want to speak to him to be quite honest and I thought he had felt the same. Everytime we spoke to one another it turned into an argument. I didn't want to argue with him any longer.

"Tell my father I don't want to talk to him."

Phillip nods, opening the door for me to get into the back of my chauffeured car. I sat inside the car, smoothly running my hands over the beige leather material. I was happy, the entire getaway had put everything in perspective. I was no longer going to let my father make me un happy.

As soon as Caitlyn granted me the divorce I was going to get Jennifer to finally say yes to my marriage proposal and we were going to get married. It was an added bonus that she just might be pregnant. I had always imagined what it would be like if Jennifer had my heir and now it might be happening.

I was beyond thrilled and I wanted to tell the world. Phillip glanced at me through the mirror.

"Sir is everything alright? " he inquires.

I smile at him. "Everything is great, Phil. "

"Do you think Miss. Turner needs a security team with her as well? "

"I don't think that's necessary right now Phillip. "

He nodded and turned ahead as the driver turned a corner. I narrowed my eyes, glancing around at the unfamiliar neighborhood.

"Phillip, where are we going? " I ask concerned.

"I'm not sure, " he turned to the driver, opening his mouth to say something, but the driver pulled out a gun pointing it towards Phillips head.

My heart began to pound heavily within my chest as I stared head at the gun against Phillip's forehead.

"Sit back, and keep your hands where I can see them, " he urged Phillip.

Phillip lifted his hands in the air, but by the look on his face I knew he wasn't about to give up without a fight. Phillip promised to die for me and I knew that he would. I moved to stop him, to halt him, but before I could do anything the guy smirked and pulled the trigger.

I screamed surprised as blood splattered everywhere. I watched as Phillip's body sagged against the door. He was one of my friends and one of my most trusted body guards. I glanced around as my other security team stopped behind us. The guy turned around to look at me.

"Your Highness, it was a pleasure meeting you, but I'm afraid that this must be done. Bye. " He turned the gun to me and fired, what sounded like three shots. The pain was so agonizing that I couldn't take it. My eyes fell shut and I knew in that moment that I could die. This could be the last time I ever took a breath. And the last thing that was on my mind was Jennifer.

***

Jenny's Pov.

I walked into the hospital, my face drenched in tears. I walked over to the nurse's station and wiped my face quickly.

"Hi, I'm Jennifer Turner, I was wondering if I could see Con - Prince Middleton, I'm his advisor," I say.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Turner, but we can't allow anyone, but Family to see the Prince," the nurse informed me. "We're under strict rules. Unless you can get permission from one of the family members you can not go see him. I'm sorry. "

I bit my lip trying to hold in my cry and pushed myself away from the counter. I walked out of the hospital with my head low. I was ready to scream out loud, to curse, to hit things, to ball up in a ball and just lie there.

I just couldn't believe that this was happening. I had just saw him an hour ago and now he was lying in a hospital bed. I wanted to comfort him and touch him. He could die today and I'd never get the chance to touch him one last time.

I walked over to my car and got in, but didn't start the car. I sat there in the driver's seat with my car keys in my hand. My eyes stare ahead at the large building in front of me. I could hear the shuttering of camera lens and the firing of questions from inside my car.

I glanced up to see Peter walking out of the building, dozens of cameras trailing behind him.

"Is the Prince going to be okay? "

"How is Caitlyn doing?"

"Who shot the Prince? "

I got out of my car and followed Peter to his car, weaving through the crowd of paparizzi until I came to Peter. He stood in front of his driver's side door, his hands up in a defensive stance.

"I can't really say much, the Prince is still in Critical Condition," Peter announced, his eyes darting around the crowd until they came to me. He stopped looking at me, before he reached out.

"Jennifer, " He spoke, pulling me from the crowd. All of the attention turned to me.

"Miss Turner! How are you feeling? " someone asked.

"Is it true that you were sleeping with the Prince? " somebody else threw out. Peter squeezed my shoulder as I ducked into his car.

"Wait! Wait. Miss Turner!" they called as Peter shut the door. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back against my head rest. I heard Peter's door close and I open my eyes to glance over at him.

"They wouldn't let me see him," I say.

Peter sighed and turned on the car. I felt destroyed. I felt like everything in my life was crumbling and I couldn't stop it.

My throat began to burn as tears filled my eyes. My heart felt like it was about to explode through my chest as it hammered harshly.

I swallowed trying to hold in my tears. I didn't want to cry, I didn't want to hurt this badly either. It just hurt so much.

Peter glanced over at me a couple of times as I sat there my hands intertwined and settled in my lap and my face facing forward. The road seemed so long.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he asks.

What was there to talk about? The fact that I was heart broken? The fact that at this moment the one guy I had ever truly loved was lying in a hospital bed clinging to his life? Or maybe the fact that I can't see him because I was only his mistress?

"Peter, I know you were one of the main people to be against our relationship, but I really loved him. He made me happy." I stopped short, my emotions beginning to get the best of me. "I just can't believe that he's... " I stopped, pressing my lips in a thin line as I stared ahead. If I finished my sentence then I would start to cry.

"Jennifer, " Peter murmured softly, pulling to the side of the road. He shut off the car and unfastened his seat belt. He turned, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into him.

The hug only made the emotions worse and before I knew what was happening I burst into tears. Peter soothingly and sympathetically rubbed my back as tears ran from my eyes drenching his shirt. I fisted his shirt in my hand as I cried.

We didn't speak as we sat there in eachother's embrace. Finally after crying for what felt like hours I pulled away, wiping my face. My head was throbbing, a headache brewing.

"Did you see him? " I ask, sniffling.

"Yes, " Peter sighed, sitting up.

"How did he look? " My brows pulled together in inquiry.

"He didn't look too well, sweetheart. I'm sorry Jenny and even though I still think getting involved with him was a bad idea, I know how much you love him."

I close my eyes shut tight. "Peter can you please take me home?" I open my eyes, pleading with him.

"Sure." He didn't say anything else. He simply turned around and turned the car back on. The ride to my house was painfully silent and when he pulled out of my driveway I was extremely thankful. I just needed to be alone at that moment.

I walked up my steps and unlocked the door to my empty apartment.

What if I was with him?

I walked into my apartment with the question heavy on my brain. If I was with him? I walked pass my television set, the news blaring through the speakers.

"The man who shot Prince Connor was taken into custody as soon as the tragedy occured. The question is could the incident been prevented? Should the royal family travel with even more security and who can we trust? " I ignored it and walked into my bedroom. I walked towards my closet stepping on something hard on the floor. I bent down and picked up the white stick.

With everything going on I had almost forgotten about the pregnancy test. When I took it I barely had time to register the results. Instead my mind had been replete with thoughts of Connor. Finally I could look at my fate.

I look down at the results in the form of a plus it minus sign. Blinking I take it in, just a little surprised. My phone began to ring and I quickly look away and grab it.

"Hello? " I answer.

"Hello is this Miss Jennifer Turner? " A soft British voice asks.

"Yes this is her. May I help you? " I reply softly. My mind was still running in circles.

"This is Emily Middleton, Connor's mother. Can I meet you at the hospital? " She asks.

"Uh yes ma'am. "

With that said she ended the call and I was left surprised, shocked and curious.

***

Connor's mother was beautiful, elegant and graceful. She looked like royalty and she knew it. She walked with such an impressive stature and she looked like a queen.

She stood in front of me in a soft peach colored suit and skirt. Usually I would find it extremely tacky, but she made it look so elegant.

Her brown hair was swept up in a loose bun with stands of hair falling free. I wanted to admire her for hours because of how beautiful she was.

She smiled at me and gestured to a chair in the corner of the small empty room.

"No thank you, "I politely declined.

"Well, let's talk shall we?" She approached me and I watched her cautiously.

"I know that you and Connor have been seeing eachother, and I know that he loves you. I can see that he loves you and right now... he's struggling and you can't even be by his side. I want you by his side, " his mother explained. She embraced me and instead of feeling uncomfortable I felt completely welcomed and safe. I felt myself becoming teary eyed once again.

Biting my lip I struggled with trying to hold it together.

She patted my back. "I'll take you to him," she whispered into my ear.

I nod, fearful of my voice betraying me. She released me and took my hand. Before we left the room she turned to me. "Maybe he'll wake up for you. " She pulled me out of the room and towards the elevator. Nurses and doctors and janitorial staff all casted glances our way. Some curious, some anxious and some judgemental. Mrs. Middleton pressed the button for the top floor and we sat back.

"We're going to take Connor to our own private facilities soon that way you can see him as often as you like. I will put your name on the list, " His mother continued.

I felt like I was dreaming about this entire ordeal. From Connor being shot to his mother treating me like a daughter. Finally the doors to the elevator opened and we both stepped off. The entire hallway of this floor was swarming with suits. Connor's mother walked gracefully through the swarm. Everybody in the area I recognized. Except Phillip. Where was Phillip?

"Where's Phillip? " I ask, lightly.

Mrs. Middleton stopped, and turned to me with a sad expression on her face. "Phillip, he didn't make it. He died for Connor. "

I close my eyes, trying to calm down. Taking a few deep breaths I reopened them nodding at Connor's mother. She pursued her lips and turned back ahead. She continued to walk until we came to a large brown door.

She opened the door and walked inside. Inside the room there was three uninformed security guards.

"We need a minute alone with Connor, " Mrs. Middleton informs them.

They nod and quickly get up and leave. Connor's mother turned to me a pained smile on her face.

"I figured you'd like to be alone with him, just call me if you need me." She walked out of the room and shut the door.

At this moment everything came into perspective. I stood there staring at Connor's still body in silence. I wanted to break down and cry, everything in my world was cast aside for this one significant moment. Seeing him so vulnerable so pale made it hard for me.

I slowly approached the side of his bed and took a seat. I took his hand, pressing a kiss to his knuckles. I didn't utter a word as I sat there staring at his unblinking eyes. Although I said nothing and he could do nothing this meant so much to me. It killed me to think that I may never get a chance to see him again.

Resting my head on his hand I silently sat there listening to the soft beep of the heart monitor and the filtering of air into his body. I close my eyes imagining him opening his. I let myself drift off to sleep, the hopes of Connor being awake when I wake up bubbling around in my head.

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

735 15 27
An arranged marriage. A deal struck between a new King and Queen. Lies and acts to prove their reign to power hungry nobles. And a gravitational pull...
433 51 52
One planet. Two kingdoms. Two rival families. The Maxwells and the Daltons. War has dominated planet Earth and split it's citizens in two, and it is...
174K 11.1K 31
COMPLETED ✔️ BOOK 1 of the Royal Trilogy [UPDATED version of I'm Falling for a Royal Prince] Folashadé was just a 21-year-old girl when she and her...
171 21 21
I go to high school and work for my family. I decided to stay with my mom but ended up working for my family instead of going to England with my fath...