The Realms of Thrice (Lesbian...

By stringsonthisguitar

THE REALMS OF THRICE by stringsonthisguitar The Realms of Thrice follows two unlike heroines, Emri Dyer and N... More

Copyright Notice / Introduction
Prologue
Chapter I - An Unexpected Friendship
Chapter II - Family
Chapter III - Happy Name Day
Chapter IV - The God of Than
Chapter V - The Return to Black
Chapter VI - Light Meets Dark (Part I)
Chapter VI - Light Meets Dark (Part II)
Chapter VII - Revelations
Chapter VIII - The Ties of Friendship
Chapter IX - Darkness is Deceiving (Part I)
Chapter IX - Darkness is Deceiving (Part II)
Chapter X - III Sides to Every Story
Chapter XI - Understandings
Chapter XIII - New Beginnings
Chapter XIV - Truths at Every Corner
Chapter XV - What I Regret
Chapter XVI - The Fairest Realm of All
Chapter XVII - The White Realm
Chapter XVIII - Return to Gray
Chapter XIX - Home
Chapter XX - A Great Injustice
Chapter XXI - The One They Fear
Chapter XXII - Is That Light I See?
Chapter XXIII - New Hope
**Alternate Ending** - Chapter XXII - Look to the Horizon

Chapter XII - The Walkers

813 47 3
By stringsonthisguitar

Chapter XII - The Walkers

Papers fluttered as the bitter draft from the large paned windows seeped through the thin, dry air. Anders had been keeping to the books since Ryker’s shocking discovery, occupying hours at a time in the library.  Milling through generations of past leaders, history of the realms, knowledge of Entery—their life and energy source, and studying the immortally of Gods and their offspring. Something had to be here, hidden within the pages. Tucked away between the lines. There was a reason for it all. There had to be. Kali did nothing rash. Everything was well-thought out—planned and executed with perfection. She was to gain something from this, but what he didn’t know.

But what was it?

In the thousands of pages he had scanned and turned, nothing had been mentioned about the great hollows. Nothing alluded to the realms being anything more than separate kingdoms, ruled by different rulers, yet overseen by the High Council of Thrice. Nothing to justify Nora’s claims, other than the sheets of parchment paper and the mythical purifier orbs she revealed.

Nothing to indicate Kali’s plot.

“What does she want?” he mumbled to himself. “What’da she get out of this?”

Being out of communication with the other realms didn’t help his efforts either. Kael, Ryker, and himself were the only visitors to the Black he trusted. He kept faith in no one else. Right now, his only true confidant was hundreds of leagues away. Heading straight into an unforeseen trap.

He turned the page in frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose. He looked at the page with  nothing more than boredom, until a heading caught his eyes.

Demigods

Half mortal and half divine in which the deity gene overtakes the mortal gene.

Defined as gods in their own right; hence, a demigod’s offspring will be deemed a demigod by birthright.

However, procreation by a demigod is an act against both divine and moral codes. Prosecution is weighed heavily according to the extent of violation.

He reread the passage several times, not understanding why, but doing it nevertheless. Then he began to thread possible scenarios together. Demigods were seen as an extension of the God that mothered or fathered them. They were a god in their own right, and with them came power—influence. But that seemed to be the most outlandish of possibilities.

A knock at the door broke this thought. After calling the visitor in, the heavy wooden door creaked open to reveal the eldest High Council Member.

Anders listened for the door to close before he began speaking, “Well? What news do ya bring?”

He watched while tapping his quill as the older man moved across the room and took a seat in front of him at the table.

“None good, I’m afraid.” He picked up the first book at the top of the pile and began to thumb through it. Stopping at a couple marked pages, and glancing over the words scribed there. “I’ve looked into your claims …” he said as he continued to turn pages.

“And?” Anders asked, not in the mood to wait.

“And, they’re true.”

“What does this mean?”

“I’m afraid you already know the answer to that, Anders,” Kael said with a resounding thump as he closed the small yet heavy book. The elder leaned back in his chair and let out a long breath. “We are dealing with something far greater than we ever imagined. And that fellow of The White you asked me about? His name is Arturo, Supreme Leader of The White. Kali’s first husband.”  He paused, allowing the words to mingle in the air. “We are alone in this, Master Anders. I fear a cleansing is taking place. The White and Black have always been at odds, and we have never fared well between the two. If a King of White and a Queen of Black collaborate—” he stopped, and shrugged his shoulders.

Anders studied him carefully, noting the trepidation in his eyes. It was almost a look of defeat. Hopelessness. “I do not wish to think of the consequences.”

“But Kali … how can a human die and yet live again? Even by the Gods, it's impossible.”

“Kali’s death was ruled as intentional poisoning. It was meant to appear as a legitimate and lethal dose of poison. However, we’ve since discovered an extract that, when mixed with other exotic organics, can produce an effect similar to poison. You see, the victim’s heart rate slows to such a degree, a second heartbeat is never heard in tandem with the first. Their lifeless … eyes and skin alluding to death.”

“But people were executed for her murder,” Anders said in astonishment.

Kael nodded slowly. “Security, I’m sure. Had to look authentic, and death certainly is.”

“But why? She was High Empress of the Black! She had enough power and influence to reign successfully for years and years to come. Why piss it away?”

That is the question so many are asking. Why, indeed? I’m afraid we won’t fully know that answer until the fallen Empress and Miss Dyer make it to The Gray. Then and only then, once the transcendent portals are functioning fully, will we have our answers. Maybe not even then. Who knows the outcome of this. Perhaps the fallen Empress has been misled? We all could perish at the end of this. Regardless of how the next few weeks or months pan out. The transatmosphereic portals may indeed be unstoppable. Are you certain there is nothing else the lad heard? The smallest of detail can mean the difference between existence and nonexistence.”

“I told you everything he told me.”

Kael nodded in resignation. “Very well.”

“But I do have a favor to ask.” Anders began. “I need the lineage papers for both Emri and Miss Blackheart. More specifically, their parental lineage. Even if the blood relations were never contested.”

Kael’s brow furrowed; taken aback with the odd request. “Why? What for?” He approached Anders as if searching for something the other man was refusing to tell. Perhaps hopeful it would show on his face.

“Kali forged a plan. It’s been a long time in the making, and it revolves around these two women. I need to see what we’re lookin’ at here. If there’s anything hidden away, anything of significance.”

“Their ancestry will have no bearings, I’m certain of it. But regardless, I’ll see that they find their way into your hands.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Kael turned and walked to the door. “Bring the lad to me. It’s imperative that I speak with him as soon as possible.” Then he left, leaving Anders to find the young man.

At two levels below and several corridors later, Anders arrived at Ryker’s sleeping quarters. The halls were uncommonly quite, but given the time of day, mid-afternoon to be exact, most if not all inhabitants of this level were out working.

“Mister Tibbins,” he called out from behind the door, allowing three solid knocks in succession. He waited, but no answer came.

“Tibbins?” he called again, but after no answer the second time, he slowly opened the door and stepped inside. “Ryker?”

Nothing was out of place, but that in itself was alarming. He saw no personal items; no clothing or shoes and the bedclothes were folded neatly on top of the mattress. He looked around the vacant room, and it hit him.

 “Oh no,” he whispered and instantly made his way to the stables.

“Ay!” he shouted as he grabbed a stable boy by his sleeve, whipping him around with force. The poor boy almost fell to his feet. “I’m lookin’ for a young lad who might have ridden out on horseback. Short blond hair, green eyes, not from here.”

“Aye, sir. He left durin’ the witchin’ hour. Demanded our finest steed, he did.”

He released his hold on the boy and looked out toward the same gate Emri and Nora had passed through. He ran a hand over his face in frustration. Both of his apprentices … gone, one most certainly lost, and the other in peril. Their chances were not looking good. With a  look of disgust, and with his head low, he headed back into the palace to give Kael the alarming development.

“Gone?” the older gentleman asked in shock.

“He went after them. Left at midnight.”

“Count him among the dead,” he stated gravely. He poured himself a nice goblet of wine as he walked to the nearby window. “They were too far out of reach. He would’ve never caught up with them. He won’t survive Fawr, not by himself. That’s a guarantee.”

“You underestimate him.”

Kael regarded him solemnly and offered him a glass of wine. Anders politely refused.

“You underestimate the dark forest. There is no life beyond the boundaries, and there’s a reason for that.”

“What happens now?”

“Nothing. Nothing more can be done until the portals are functional again. But bring me this Darcy character you’ve spoken of.”

●●●

Branches snapped and leaves rose from their keepings as the entity moved toward them with frightening speed. The pace methodic—familiar: thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump. Emri eyes remained closed as she listened, listened for the first noise to enter her striking distance, which would really be all too close to them to make a difference. The fire was still alight, giving them enough sight to see in the small radius around them.

Then, it was on them, like a bat startling a predator: sudden and without warning. It was a massive black creature who, once reared on its back legs, towered feet above them. The sounds emitted from the creature were ungodly. But something bright kept catching Emri’s eyes. It flashed in the light of the flames. Something metal, perhaps. That’s when it dawned on her. It was Trysu.

“Trysu?!” Emri called out, and the creature circled their tree, still panicked.

The older woman pulled away from Emri’s hold, releasing her own, as she searched for the horse. “Oh, thank the Gods!”

Both women relaxed as the threat vanished with their breath. But, the unnatural cries still sounded in the distance.

Nora rose from her spot and approached Trysu with calmness and ease, talking as she stepped, trying to soothe the spooked horse. The separation from Emri allowed her to process what happened moments prior. Even through all the excitement, Nora was still perplexed about the words uttered from the young woman’s mouth.   

“What was it you spoke?” Nora asked as she rubbed Trysu’s forehead.

“What?”

“You spoke something; it was not of our language.”

Emri jerked her head back, puzzled as her mouth opened and closed without a sound. “I—I didn’t say anything.”

“But you did, Emri.”

Emri started to stand, but eyes suddenly become lidded. Her head swayed side-to-side as her body moved with it. She fell back against the rear of the hollow, and Nora ran to her side.

“Emri?” she called, cupping her cheeks. "Emri, look at me.”

“I jus—” she tried. “Dizzy is all.”

“I believe you spoke the ancient language of the Gods. A rare feat in itself, let alone by a human.”

“Wha—”

“What did you say? You held me close and whispered something into my ear. What was it?”

“I just asked for the Gods to have mercy on us. To protect us.”

“Where did you learn to speak in such a way?”

“I never … I haven’t!” she said, exaggerating her point with a slight shrill to her voice. “I know no other language than my native tongue. My—my mother used to tell me verses written in the language of old, but … are sure that wasn’t what you heard?”

“I know many languages and tongues from my time as Queen, and I have never heard such words spoken before. But, the way you spoke, it was just as the tomes described. Beautiful, spiritual, calming—peace evoking. At that moment, I no longer feared.”

“I don’t remember.”

Nora noticed a slight tremor to her voice. She studied her for a moment while a thousand different scenarios came to mind, and saw that the young woman was shaking despite her heavy clothing and ample blankets.

“Are you cold?” she asked, placing her hands against Emri’s clammy cheeks then moving one to her forehead. She looked peaked. “You are warm. You have a fever.” She pulled an old rag from her pocket and did her best to wet it with what water they had. The next stream ran several yards from them. More distance than she was willing to put between herself and the incapacitated woman. She then placed the cool rag atop Emri’s forehead.

Nora hoped the fever would break by first light. If not, their situation became even direr.

In the distance, haunting squeals and screams filled the pitch blackness. None sounded any closer, yet they didn’t sound any further away either.

“What are those things?” Emri asked as her eyes became lidded.

“I know not,” she said. The appalling cries increasing in loudness.

“Sounds like there’s more of ‘em. D’ya think the fire is drawing them?” Emri asked more alert than before.

“We’ll smother it, just to be safe.”

Nora began work distributing the logs and embers out so fresh moist soil could be dumped over the pit. The few larger logs were rolled off to the side, as the small campfire was slowly extinguished. Emri for her part had remained bow and arrow at the ready, still hunkered in her cubby. The cries in the distance seemed to stall as the drawing flames disappeared into the night air.

“I think it’s gonna work,” Emri stated with bated breath as her keen ears searched for alien sounds around them.

“Yes, I believe so.”

Emri released the heavy breath she had been holding, and the moist breath materialized itself thickly in the cool, damp air. “Damn, we’ve always had a fire at night, never gone without one.”

“We will this night, Emri.”

“It’s dangerous not to have a fire—”

“Yet we would be in more danger if we did, I’m afraid. Now rest. I will stay watch for a while.”

“Not gonna happen, Your Majesty.” Emri stated, grunting in pain as her body began to shiver.

Nora shook her head and sighed in exasperation as she moved to take the bow and arrows from Emri. “Your body needs rest in order to heal.  Have you forgotten our task?” she asked, irritation coloring her voice.

Their healths hung at the top of their priorities because without it, the lands they traveled on would surely take them. A strong body and keen mind could often overcome the most daunting obstacles.

“What? Of course not!” Emri said, sounding offended at Nora’s tone. The older woman insinuating that she might no longer be capable of the journey didn’t settle well. Emri never rested, always working hard for what she wanted. Never slacking when other’s depended on her.

She wanted to prove Nora wrong, that a few gashes and bruises would not stop her. But as she went to stand, the pressure put on her wounded hand and shoulder made her scream, the pain forcing her back down.

Understanding the younger woman’s plight; having experienced similar conflicts before, looked to her with a sad smile and kneeled beside her. “Then you know we cannot travel with you in such a state.” Her eyes kind as she spoke. Full of unspoken emotions: fear, worry, helplessness, care, and determination. “Now. Rest. Please.”

Emri agreed with a fair amount of reluctance and soon they found themselves pressed tightly up against the other. Each trying to crawl into the other; looking for relief from the cool, damp night air and from the apparitions testing their sanity. Nora’s strong arms encircled Emri’s waist as she pulled her side flush against her own. The tremors seemed worst than they were minutes ago.

“If you could have anything … anything at all … never mind the realm’s boundaries, what would you want?” Emri whispered into her ear as her teeth clattered violently. She desperately wanted to get her mind off the constant needle pricks that the threatening fever draped across her body.

She heard the Empress shallow thickly and a felt her inhale deeply. “Happiness,” Nora spoke. “To be happy, for once in my life. I want that, and all it entails.”

“And you don’t think you deserve that? Or are capable of that?”

“No, I truly do not,” Nora answered, full of truth and longing. Emri inhaled sharply at the fallen Empress’s openness. Emri urged Nora to turn over so she was facing Emri. Their personal space obliterated at the move. A small, graceful hand reached the small distance and brushed a few strands of dark brown hair from Nora’s eyes, tucking them behind her ear. “People like me are not rewarded with happiness,” Nora continued. “We are meant to suffer. To be examples for all who consider or are tempted by the dark side of life. We are the archetype of evil and how good always triumphs. As for me, no matter how desperately I long for happiness, and even if it was possible for me, I don’t think I would ever yield to it. It would just be one more thing to take away, and if that happened, I would not survive.”

“I think y’know that’s not true,” she said between teeth clatters. “You’re one of the strongest women I know. You get all that you want, and if you truly want happiness, you’ll get it.”

“I think you know it’s not that simple, Emri.” Nora breathed; her trembling voice spoke volumes to her racing thoughts.

“What if it is?” she asked drawing Nora closer; their forehead bumping.

“It’s never simple.” Nora reiterated, but at that moment, all thought evaporated into the thin night air as Emri closed the small distance and kissed her ever so gently. It was hesitant and cautious, yet unyielding, and Nora collapsed into it.

Never had anyone shown Nora the care, attentiveness, desire and, dare she say, love that Emri was demonstrating. Nora understood it was far too early to give such actions deep meanings, but here, at this moment, she felt free to do so. Never had she experienced such an overwhelming joy, and all she wanted to do was crawl into it, and live within. She decided in that second, that happiness was not the only thing she craved.

The intense heat which radiated from the younger woman was alarming, yet Emri, for the moment anyway, did not seemed phased. She held back and just let every sensation that Emri offered, fill her to the brim and exploded at the millions of nerve endings within her body.

The kiss was chaste, and Nora found her hands escaping from the protective layer of blankets to reach up and tenderly grasp Emri’s red and chapped cheeks. With care, Nora separated them, and took a moment to study the woman who unknowingly took her breath away. She looked into diffident emerald irises which seemed to resemble the color of the darkened foliage that shrouded them. Her thumbs lovingly stroked the woman’s wind burnt cheeks before easing down to trace full, yet chapped lips.

Then, Emri’s face and body tensed as a fresh wave of pain washed over her. She jerked in Nora’s hold.

 “Nora,” Emri choked out as a sob escaped from her chest. Nora did her best to soothe and comfort the woman in her arms.

“Shh,” she whispered. “You’re safe with me. You’re safe. I won’t let you go.” Nora spoke trying in vain to calm not only Emri’s worries and doubts, but her own as well. She didn’t know if she actually believed her own words or not, but she hoped Emri did. This was bound to be a long night.

●●●

Eyes fluttered open to reveal the early morning rays of sun. She forgot what woke her, but the loud sound of clacking metal explained her wake from sleep. The sound shattered her head, and she groaned as she cupped her good hand over her eyes and her temples with the other. The pressure was astounding, throbbing from the backs of her eyes, to her temples, to the back of her head. She thanked the Gods she wasn’t standing, because the pain would surely have brought her to her knees.

A cool, damp cloth was laid over eyes, and she closed them on instinct, thankful for the fast relief.

After several minutes, the pain abated and a soft, melodious voice called her back. “Good morning.”

Emri moved the cloth and squinted at Nora standing above her. “I feel like death,” Emri muttered. “And like someone shook the shit out me to wake me.”

Nora said nothing, just continued to wipe her face. She pulled a small vial out of her pouch, opened it, and sprinkled the grainy powder under Emri’s tongue.

It tasted bitter and metallic as it filled her mouth.

“Your fever broke in the night,” Nora spoke. Emri could sense the tension in her voice. It was written in her eyes, too. “Soaked your clothes and blankets through. I have them drying.”

“What’s wrong with me?”

“I fear you have been poisoned. Either by the cat’s claws, teeth, or saliva … perhaps all three? It is too early for infection to have set in. We will not see that until later, I’m afraid.”

“What is it?”

“I do not know the extent of the poison, or even if is indeed that. I know nothing about what ails you, or how to treat it.”

Emri twisted her head to the side, away from the cloth and hand resting at her head. She stared out into the brightening woods. Her bottom lip and chin quivered. Now, she would certainly slow them down. A burden … that was what she had become. She looked back to Nora and placed her hand on Nora’s own, showing that she had appreciated the gesture.

“We need to keep moving,” Emri said, ignoring Nora’s concern.

Nora, however, threw her hands up in frustration.

“And how do you expect to do that? Can you even stay upright on a horse?”

“Nora, I can walk for now.”

“Well, if we’re going to leave, we best start moving again. We have hundreds of leagues to go yet, and I’m afraid our speed of travel has been lessened dramatically,” Nora said as she rolled up their bedroll and tied it to Trysu. With only one horse, and an injured woman, they’d be lucky to make

Emri, having difficulties even rising from her spot, protested. “All right, how ‘bout you ride first. I’ll walk.”

“Absolutely not!” Fuming, Nora stomped across the soon-to-be vacant campsite and poised an accusatory finger at the young woman. “You can barely stand, let alone walk.”

“The horse can’t support us both, Nora. At least not for the distance we’re lookin’ at. What else do you purpose we do?”

“You ride. I walk.”

She watched as Emri struggled to her feet. Nora ran and got her walking stick which had remained propped up against the tree. She grabbed under Emri’s good arm and steadied her as she finally stood.

Her legs felt heavy and her vision whitened as she stood for the first time. After several deep breaths, she regained her strength and waved Nora to continue packing as she waited out the nausea.   

Emri watched the fallen Empress bag the remaining items from their camp. Everything was almost ready.

Little did Emri know that dark burgundy eyes had watched her every struggled move. Every flinch, every muscle tweak in pain. Eyes saw the twinge and toil with each step.

 When verdant eyes met her own, she gave Emri a small, sad smile, and continued her task.

Emri limped the few yards distance to where Nora stood. “Hey, are—are you all right?” Emri asked, slightly winded from the sting in her flesh.

“I’m fine, dear,” she answered quietly.

Emri was about to protest, but a soft hand found purchase against hers; their fingers interlacing. “Truly,” she reiterated and squeezed Emri’s hand for emphasis.

“They were nightwalkers,” Nora began as she nodded toward the belly of the forest. “Before you woke, I went out to gather food. In the daylight I discovered the source of the screams—nightwalkers. They are what you so crudely referred to as half-breeds. They resemble humans except they are anything but.”

“How d’ya know?”

The older woman’s gaze cut to the forest and she pursed her lips. “I found one,” she said. Grabbing her bow and arrow bag, she inclined her head for Emri to follow. “Come.”

She walked a few paces in front of Emri, but kept her step even and slow as to not exasperate Emri’s wounds any further.

The walk took several minutes but eventually led to a grove. There, on the edge of the tree lay something still.  

Emri stood beside it, and pushed its shoulder back with her walking stick. “What happened to it?”

The stench surrounding it was not of death, but its own natural odor.

“Killed … by an arrow.” Nora said as pointed to its neck.

Emri exhaled in relief. “Yours,” she stated assuredly.

“No, Emri. I have never seen such arrows. Look at the wood. This was made from an indigenous tree. Trees that do not inhabit any of The Three.”

“What are you saying?”

“Something … someone killed this creature. Whether friend or foe, human or beast, I know naught.”

“We’re being followed?”

“Followed, pursued … hunted, again I know naught.”

Emri eyes widened as she immediately looked around them, searching the trees in vain for a sign of anything—something. But she knew whatever it was would be smart enough to stay hidden, out of sight.

She swallowed before looking back at the creature at their feet. “Are those claws?”

“Talons, yes, and deathly sharp ones.”

“Damn, the bone structure…it pays mind to that of a bird. They’re appalling creatures.”

“We best keep keen eyes and trained ears henceforth. These hollowed lands are not meant to be traveled. They are meant as a deterrent. Who knows what the Gods have placed within these wicked lands, and we’re heading straight into it.”

“It can’t be all bad.”

“My dear,” Nora began. “You have spent far too much time in The Gray.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 619 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
65 25 20
The aftermath of a war leads on to the fight for life, territory, and love. Anna still has the crown of the Vildridian king but what now? She hated t...
544K 28.9K 50
There is a darkness that lurks inside of me. The evil that runs through my veins is a constant reminder of the ruthless killer I once was. But someh...
2.6K 91 7
What if you got a second chance at life again? Well, For Teresa, she thought her story had ended. They say your inner regrets come out and make thems...