Oracle

By Hiddenhearts93

Jaspar spent most of his life hiding because of his power. He should have listened to the warning not to go t... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Epilogue

Part 19

4.4K 301 16
By Hiddenhearts93

Water sat still in the docks, glimmering slightly with moonlight from above in the darkness. The smell of sea water and several unmentionable things were strong in along the concrete block of land. The water out at sea was more choppy but the dock barriers kept the waters within the dock calm and gentle. The area, on the other hand, was not so serene.

The docks were not a place to walk about alone at night unless you were strong like Elison. The maze of walkways between the cargo containers, warehouses and offices were lit with harsh fluorescent lights which hurt people's eyes if they looked too close for long. There were shrines dotted about the walkways, shrines to foreign gods which the sailors prayed too. In many ways it was a good thing that the sailors were more suspicious than not, it kept them safe from the monsters which prowled the darkness.

Calder's laws were thin here and in many ways, it was the most lawless part of the city. The location Elison was searching for was an example of this. A place Calder would have happily disposed of and washed his hands clean of the monsters within it but John allowed such places to exist. Some things Calder couldn't fight against.

The place was nicknamed 'Hell Calling,' for the creatures who resided within it. It was a safe haven for creatures who were not of the city to rest before departing to another land or risking remaining in the city. Assuming they could find the entrance. It was hidden deep in the maze and its entrances moved often though the physical location of the hideaway remained the same. Elison had been to Hell Calling, several times and so knew where to look for clues of a way inside. Or rather for someone inside to spot him and tell his Grandfather he was here.

Elison's grandfather, like a lot of the more permanent residents of the squat, was an illegal being in the city. The city was not as open-armed as it seemed at first glance and there were particular species or types of species who were not allowed into the city. IN particular, full bloodied demons were not allowed in. Half-demons and people like Elison who had an unknown amount of demon blood within him were allowed reluctantly but full bloodied were expected to leave the city or face being hunted down by the wardens. The wardens were always happy to dispatch a demon back to the hell fires from which they came.

To be clear, Elison's grandfather wasn't actually his grandfather but his great ten times something or other, grandfather. Elison wasn't sure how far back the line went but when Elison came of age and it became clear that a demon resided inside of him, the demon hunted him down to teach him the basics of their bloodline.

"Not entirely sure you should be wandering about today brat," a familiar voice commented from the shadows. Elison paused, standing under one of the dimmer lights to watch as his grandfather slid out from the shadows. "You make the others nervous when you come this late at night," the man scolded, reaching out to give his descendant a hug.

Elison's grandfather, being a demon and therefore immortal, looked barely old enough to be Elison's father, forget being his grandfather or more. Both had a rich olive skin tone with thick black hair and brown eyes which sometimes turned red. Elison's grandfather was slightly taller however with a more narrow face and an elegant gait about him. Elison was more rugged because of his human blood, his nose bigger, and his chin was wider. Still, it was obvious to anyone who looked at them that there were related.

"Grandfather," Elison greeted warmly, accepting the hug. "I needed some advice. I'm not here as Lord Calder's dog tonight, don't worry about that," he swore.

Since Elison had entered into employment with Calder, a man who had made his opinion on the demons hiding in the dock very clear to the city, he had not actually seen the inside of the hideaway. He had seen one of the doors briefly, but it was like the place itself was hiding from him now and not the people hiding it from him. No one wanted to see how deep his loyalties to Calder went. Instead, when he needed to talk to his grandfather, Elison walked around its general area until the man, or someone to tell him his grandfather was unavailable, showed up.

The term 'Calder's dog' was a term as derogatory as 'John's pretty boys and girls'. People used it much in the same way too, only it meant that Elison worked as one of Calder's muscle squad. It meant that he was either an enforcer or at the very least someone dangerous to fuck with. It was a title of strength but not really one of intelligence. It was not a thing he enjoyed being referred as or referring to himself as but Elison doubted Justice or Leo enjoyed being referred to as 'John's pretty boys' either.

It could have been a lot worse too. The unthreatening and more helpless of Calder's staff, like his aide for example, were referred to as Calder's puppies. Which was why Elison hadn't explained the term to Jaspar when he asked why the man at the Rook had called him a 'pup'.

"I should hope not," the older man frowned at Elison his face taking on a more serious expression. "I've heard whispers that you blinded a true seer," he commented.

"A true seer?" Elison frowned having never heard the term before. "I certainly blinded a seer who retained his powers after. Though that was only confirmed today..." he trailed off, not expecting his grandfather to explain that one. Facts were the demon grapevine was second only to the fae one. When something in the void or veil shifted unexpectedly, those who were free of any human taint knew.

"He didn't retain them. New ones developed," his grandfather explained softly, his eyes glazed over as he thought back over the years. "In the old days, when tributes were made to the goddess of luck, seers were almost always blinded when being taken to her temple to see if they were a true seer or not. True seers are powerful creatures if you know how to use them to their full potential," he paused, his eyes snapping back to the present to look at his grandson. "He is going to need a lot of support, though. He will need an anchor to escape the visions for the rest of his life," the man said in an almost sad tone.

"How come this is not common knowledge?" Elison frowned.

His grandfather shrugged. "Times moved on. It became less acceptable to maim a servant on a small chance his powers would increase," he said like it was a silly thing to have happened. Elison's human said shifted uncomfortably, his demon side chuckling.

"Calder made me the man's bodyguard," Elison informed his grandfather to try to change the subject from what was morally right and wrong. Elison knew his own morality radar was off at times and he was part demon. Arguing things which his grandfather about what was right and wrong was kind of horrific even for him.

Elison was pleased to see his grandfather's eyes widen with surprise at the news. His grandfather had not been impressed with Elison when he had bound himself to Calder as a lowly locator. It was a skilled job but one his grandfather considered being for low-level lackeys and not the sort for someone of his proud demon bloodline. His demon was almost perfect for the job but his grandfather thought it was a waste of their bloodline talents and a poor job to have in general.

"You're finally out of that business," his grandfather said approvingly, the corners of his lip lifting in half a smile. "I'm glad. As your guardian, I was quite concerned that job was going to bite you in the butt one day."

"It has," Elison grumbled unhappily, thinking about Jaspar.

"You're now looking after the man you blinded. Big deal," his grandfather shrugged, failing to see the issue which this.

"I'm looking after a man who great cause to hate me," Elison growled, trying to get his grandfather to comprehend that that might be an issue. "I'm sharing a bed with the man at night and demon..." Elison paused, his demon stirring at the mention of him. "My demon is acting strange," he settled with.

"That so?" his grandfather hummed, sounding more interested. "It must be able to smell the boy's potential."

"It's trying to form a bond with the seer," Elison grimaced. Even now he could felt the creature's power trying to connect with the seer's essence. Once it did, Elison would be bond to the young man for life and would have to serve him until he died. He would also get super possessive over the young man and refuse to get any rivals even touch him. Things which were not typically characteristics that humans looked for in a long-term lover.

"This is an issue because? And don't say because you're the cause of his blindness. That can be worked through and humans rarely stay angry for long. Especially to people who are taking care of them day in day out," his grandfather waved off. He was clearly unimpressed with the idea that it was a decent excuse.

"How about because I don't know what Lord Calder has planned for the boy!" Elison pointed out darkly. "I don't know how long I will be responsible for his welfare. I can't form a relationship with him, or rather I can't let my demon bond with him if it's going to be ripped away. Lord Calder made it clear he still wants me to work as a locator occasionally."

"Calder won't get rid of the boy," Elison's grandfather shrugged calmly. "And I don't think he'd make you the boy's bodyguard ignorantly. The young Lord deals with people with demon heritage too much not to know the risks which come to assigning the demon bodyguard to a weak and vulnerable creature."

"That I do," Calder's voice commented seriously from the gloom.

The human appeared, walking out of the shadows towards them which his head up high and his shoulders relaxed. His bodyguards following close behind. The dark brown man's black coat was open to reveal he was wearing a suit, as ever, with black gloves and a white scarf around his neck. Elison's grandfather cursed viciously under his breath, glaring darkly at the human man.

"Good evening gentleman," he smiled calmly at them as if this had been a planned meeting of friends and not an ambush. "I have some things I would like to discuss with you if you have time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

570 32 7
I would have never thought I would get to see him again... He stood in front of me with a smile... He looked way different from when we were kids...
263K 13.2K 32
His voice dropped a few octaves in a way that made my knees tremble and my body ache, "come here and I'll show you." Kellen Lacroix has suffered the...
3.7M 133K 94
Black Moon Series Book #3 Warning: #Mature #Gay #Triggering You shouldn't read this story before you have read at least I Would Give Him The Moon as...
60.8K 2.9K 44
So, basically, the humans have turned against the witches. Poor (M/n) was told by his family to run and leave them behind, which he did. He flew with...