Not My Alpha (Completed)

By mquistey

#1 in Werewolf - #1 in Mate The world is at war with something they told themselves didn't exist. Samantha w... More

Authors Note
Chapter One - The Beach
Chapter Two - The Beach Continued
Chapter Three - The Window
Chapter Four - The Woods
Chapter Five - The Woods Continued
Chapter Six - The Bedroom
Chapter Seven - Today
Chapter Eight - Goodbyes - Part One
Chapter Nine - Goodbyes Part Two
Chapter Ten - Trucks
Chapter Eleven - Discussing a Mutual Hatred
Chapter Thirteen - The Safe House
Chapter Fourteen - Sunset
Chapter Fifteen - Guns
Chapter Sixteen - One of Us - Part One
Chapter Seventeen - One of Us - Part Two
Chapter Eighteen - Fire
Chapter Nineteen - Chances
Chapter Twenty - Wolves - Part One
Chapter Twenty-One - Wolves- Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Two - Bound
Chapter Twenty-Three - The Alpha
Chapter Twenty-Four - All Hell
Chapter Twenty-Five - You're Not Going to Run
Chapter Twenty-Six - Faking
Chapter Twenty-Seven- Pain and Panic
Chapter Twenty-Eight - I Didn't Want to Freak You Out
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Just Call Me a Saint
Chapter Thirty - I'm Not So Dense
Chapter Thirty-One - I Don't Need a Wheelchair
Chapter Thirty-Two - What a Pleasant Surprise
Chapter Thirty-Three - Go On, Ask Me
Chapter Thirty-Four- Something I Should Know
Chapter Thirty-Five - I Promise
Chapter Thirty-Six - Three Days
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Eden
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Something's Happened
Chapter Thirty-Nine - I Have to Go
Chapter Forty - I Can't Let You Go
Chapter Forty-One - I Exploited It
Chapter Forty-Two - We Followed the Screams
Chapter Forty-Three - The World Seemed to Hold Its Breath
Chapter Forty-Four - The Night Turned to Glass
Chapter Forty-Five - The Pack House
Chapter Forty-Six - A Sermon in Syllables
Chapter Forty-Seven - For Now
Chapter Forty-Eight - It Was In The Tree Line
Chapter Forty-Nine - Living Hell
Chapter Fifty - He Cares
Chapter Fifty-One - A Liability
Chapter Fifty-Two - Bite You
Chapter Fifty-Three - It's Possible
Chapter Fifty-Four - Your Family
Chapter Fifty-Five - Unless I'm Not Alpha
Chapter Fifty-Six - Unconcious Vegetable of a Brother
Chapter Fifty-Seven - Everything Except You
Chapter Fifty-Eight - Too Good
Chapter Fifty-Nine - The Night We Live
Chapter Sixty - Should'a Known
Chapter Sixty-One - Making Everything Right
Chapter Sixty-Two - A Disgrace
Chapter Sixty-Three - To The Death
Chapter Sixty-Four - Not Fine
Chapter Sixty-Five - Chiefs
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve - Into the Woods

46.1K 1.7K 244
By mquistey

New highest ranking....#157 on Sep 27!!! YOU GO, GUYS! 

Picture is Margaret

This is a pretty short chapter, so I apologize for that! BUT I'm going to try and have the next chapter up this weekend. 

Thank you so much for your support!! I love you all and all your votes, follows, and especially comments! Those things make my day, seriously. 

Ok, enjoy!

Mquistey

***

I awoke to trees. Neverending masses of vibrant green spotted with shades of wood. It would have been a beautiful sight, but the sun was well into its descent. Shadows were carelessly dancing across the gravel, attempting to swallow the trucks who dared to invade their space.

It was suffocating. 

I took in my surroundings, waking from my light sleep, and looked over to Kade. His body was relaxed and his face neutral, but I could tell he was deep in thought. He noticed my stirring and glanced over at me, smiling quickly. 

"I was just about to wake you up. We're not too far from the drop-off." 

I stretched my limbs, preparing them for the walking they were about to do. It was then I noticed the backpack at my feet, filled with my own supplies and their payment. 

"I almost forgot," I told him, rummaging through the bag. 

He watched my movements from the corner of his eye as he kept one hand on the steering wheel. I pulled out the grocery sack Remmy had given me, removing two or three items from the bag for myself. I put the few things back in my backpack and held out the rest for Kade. 

"What's that?" He asked.

"Uh," I hesitated. "A payment?"

Understanding light up his face. "Oh, that's right. You can give it to Margaret. But," He drew out the last word. I noticed the car slowing down as he stopped it momentarily. When we were at a standstill, he reached for the sack. He took out several more items and stuffed them into my backpack before giving me a small smirk. "You need more than an hours worth of food and water."

"But, that leaves you with hardly anything," I protested.

He let out a short laugh. "We're not the ones running through the woods for a couple of days. I think we'll be alright." His gaze lingered on mine, carefully watching my eyes. 

I looked again to the backpack, comparing it to the volume of the plastic sack. Kade had given me almost all of the supplies. I pointedly stared at it, not quite sure what to do. 

"I really can manage with less," I disagreed. 

Kade broke his gaze and rolled his eyes, pulling the car forward once again. "Trust me, you really can't."

"Well then, thank you," I huffed out a breath, trying to hide my excitement. The extra supplies really would help. I might stand a chance, now. I'd told myself I'd find food and water along the way, but I knew the slim chances of that actually happening. Now, I didn't have to worry and could focus solely on running. 

"Are we almost there?"

"Just a bit further," he told me before hesitating. "So, what's your plan?" 

"My plan?"

"Ya, like, how are you going to make it all the way up north?"

I paused. I hadn't thought I'd actually make it this far. "By walking, I guess."

Kade laughed once. "Do you know the direction?"

"North?" I questioned. 

He looked at me, worried now. Lines crinkled their way into the corners of his eyes along with a solid one filling his forehead. "Samantha, do you know anything past this point?"

I let out a long breath of air and thought carefully. "I have enough supplies to make it to the varying safe houses. I'll ask directions at each one, I guess. I brought some warmer clothes for the nights and I'll find shelter in between the houses."

"What about your scent?"

I paused, my face paling. I hadn't thought of that. I stuttered, trying to figure out how I could fool a wolf's most powerful tool. Especially one that probably had my scent memorized. Kade saw my white face and only laughed at my unease, placing one of his hands lightly upon my own.

"You're killing me," he drawled, not removing his hand. "There's not a lot you can do for your scent, apart from try and get a lead. Just stay upwind. Don't worry about that too much, though. It'd be hard for anyone to follow you out here. All you probably smell like is this truck and me."

The car suddenly stopped. I looked up from our conversation, noticing we weren't in an area that looked particularly different from anywhere else. The trees still looped over the road, and now that we were stopped it felt as if they'd succeeded in swallowing us. 

"Here," Kade said as he put the car in park. He proceeded to slip off his jacket, his shirt rising slightly with the action. Ignoring this, he handed me the dark material. "Wear this. It'll confuse the scent a bit more if anyone manages to get this far."

I took the jacket, gratefully. "I wish I had something give you in return."

"Don't worry about it. Like I said, you can pay us back someday. We'll count it as a favor."

I smiled warmly in his direction. Through the fading light, it was getting harder to read his expressions. However, his smile was still curled around his face, crinkling his eyes. He held my gaze for a moment too long, and I watched his expression falter slightly. His eyes got serious, pleading even, and he opened his mouth to say something. However, he was quickly interrupted. 

"Kade," Margaret was suddenly at our window. 

I jumped at the sudden appearance but quickly started gathering my things. Kade swiftly exited the car, leaving me to finish my preparations. I made sure my backpack was secure before slipping his jacket over my head. I lingered in the truck for just a moment, preparing myself to enter the wilderness. I never was one to love the forest, considering all the dangers it held. Now, I'd be living in it for days on end. 

I quietly jumped from the truck and walked around to the front to meet them. By the time I got there, they were whispering harshly to each other. I tried to catch a word of what they were saying, but they fell silent at my appearance. I coughed uncomfortably, suddenly very ready to get out of here.

"Here's the payment," I told Margaret, handing her the small sack. 

She didn't so much as glance at it before tossing it into the bed of the truck. I watched her stiff movements, wondering what could have her so worked up. Flashbacks of mine and Kade's conversation in the car came to mind, but I was sure Kade wouldn't reveal what I was running from. He'd been looking out for me, helping me. He wouldn't stop now.

"Thank you so much for everything," I told them both, attempting to break a now awkward silence. 

"It's nothing," Kade told me. 

"There should be safehouses up the way several miles. I suggest you don't stop until you get there," Margaret spoke for the first time. 

I nodded my head in response while slipping my backpack onto my shoulders. The weight gave me a newfound excitement and determination. After adjusting the straps, I looked at them both. I caught them in the middle of exchanging firm glances with one another, silent communication raving through their faces. I could feel something off, but I quickly brushed it away. I'd be gone in a matter of moments and wouldn't have to worry about them.

"Alright, Samantha," Margaret sighed. "Just don't get killed. We'll know if you make it." She abruptly left and stalked towards her car, slipping into the passenger seat with ease. 

"Well, I believe that's your cue," Kade laughed. 

I nodded, smirking. "I believe it is."

I opened my mouth to say goodbye, but before I could I was enveloped in Kade's arms. My body froze involuntarily, and he either didn't notice or care. After a few moments, I felt my arms wrapping around his waist. I didn't know what I was doing, or why he was hugging me for so long, but I did have to admit - it felt nice. 

"Be careful, alright?" He spoke softly into my hair without breaking the embrace. I started to pull away, but he held me closer. 

"Kade," I protested, suddenly claustrophobic. 

"Just a second longer. You'll smell like me." 

I could only nod. I knew he had good intentions, but the captivity of his arms only brought back painful memories. My arms held him for a bit longer as I endured the embrace until I couldn't stand it anymore. Slowly, I peeled my arms back and he did the same, though somewhat reluctantly. He laughed when I noticed this, brushing it quickly to the side. I retreated from his tall frame, my footsteps crinkling in the leaves and sticks beneath me. 

"I'll see you later, Kade. Thank you, again."

He smiled and waved as I turned my back, heading for the line of trees. My heart started pounding harder in my chest the closer I drew. Now that I was directly underneath them, I realized how vast they were. Each tree was a different shape, size, and type, but they were all the sizes of small buildings.

I wanted to hesitate, to turn back, but I knew Kade was watching. For some reason this gave me the confidence I needed to move forward, pushing through the first line of brush. I let Kade's jacket fall past my hands, the material shielding my skin from the protruding branches and thorns. I kept walking forward until I could no longer see the light from the cars. At this point, I finally turned around, panting slightly. 

Like I'd thought, I was fully enveloped in the forest. The bright greens of the trees were dying down with the light, replacing the once vibrant color with a monotonous black. I realized that with the trees, the ground had also turned dark. The various uprooted timber and fallen branches were hidden to my view as I blindly stumbled forwards. I gripped trunks as I walked by them, steadying myself as I tripped with each step. After several painful minutes of staggering through the forest, I stopped again. I knew that at this rate, it'd take me years to get anywhere. 

This was going to be a long night. 

***

Thanks for reading!!

What do you think of Kade now??

What do you think Samuel is doing right about now?

Until next time! -mquistey

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 3.3K 26
Being a Human and Werewolf is not that hard as it seems. Well, that is what my mother said. My life is not what it seems is not normal is very compl...
13.4M 367K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
1.2M 43.3K 49
Liam was actually excited to find his mate. It would be nice to have someone to help him with pack business. Keeping the borders safe and punishing r...
1.3M 42.5K 41
"It was my fault." I stated looking down at my slowly growing clammy hands. He would never forgive me after I told him this. My deepest darkest secre...