The Second Path

By HusseinaJafiya

(Formerly known as: Kauna) After losing her sister, Miriam is stuck to face the real world all alone as an or... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
NEW COVER ALERT
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue
TITLE CHANGE: FROM KAUNA TO THE SECOND PATH
‼️ PLEASE READ: #JusticeforUwa and all rape victims out there
NEW STORY ALERT! - Abduction (Available on Okadabooks)

Chapter 16

2.9K 334 45
By HusseinaJafiya

Chapter 16

"Davina! Kauna! Hurry up!" I shouted from the parlour, "We're running late for church!"

"I'm coming let me just put this mascara quickly!" Davina shouted from the room.

I groaned, "There's no fine boy in church! I'm just letting you know!"

"Okay!" Davina replied and ran out of the room, "I'm not putting it anymore."

I sighed and muttered, "At least one problem solved."

It was Christmas Day, which happened to be on a Friday. There was only one Mass which was by 8 am and this was a sign that the church was going to be full.

I glanced at the clock to see it was 7:45 am, which meant we were late. Like really late. All because of the limited amount of seats in church for a large number of people. However, the early bed catches the worm.

"Kauna!" I shouted while standing in front of the clock.

"Kauna!" Daniella copied.

Kauna was the last person to dress up and every one of us were waiting for her in the parlour. Except for Kaka, who couldn't join us because of the remaining work at home.

I didn't blame Kauna for wasting time. This was going to be her first time ever going to church- any church. It could be that she was nervous, or she didn't have any idea of what to wear. Even though the rest of us wore our best traditional wear.

"What's taking her so long?" Davina asked while fixing the strap of her black high heels.

"I don't know." I groaned and turned to face David and Daniella sitting on the single sofa.

I heard the room door shut and footsteps walking into the parlour. I sighed in relief that she was done.

"We can go n-" I turned around and stopped when my eyes caught Kauna.

She was wearing a hijab. This was the very first time she was wearing a hijab. And to go to... church.

The others turned to look at her and only Daniella let out a gasp. Before any of us could say something, Kauna spoke up.

"Ummah tell me that this is a beautiful attire for special day." She said while looking down at her red hijab, "and today is Christmas. Is it okay?"

I looked at her without knowing what to say. I see most women wear it everyday but it seemed like Kauna's story was different. And there's no way I could stop her.

I turned to look at Davina and Daniella, and we all looked at each other weirdly. Nobody said anything but just remained silent.

"I guess you can wear it." I said, hoping I don't regret my decision.

I walked closer and squatted in front of Kauna.

"How do you feel?" I asked, curious about how she feels about her first time going to church.

"Fine." She nodded and stared at me.

"Remember what I thought you yesterday," I said, "How to do the sign of the cross."

She nodded, "Up, down, left and right."

"Good." I smiled, "Now let's do it together."

We both rose our right hands to our foreheads, preparing to start it.

"In the name of the Father," I said while we started doing the sign of the cross at the same time, "and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

We brought our hands clasped together and I asked, "And you say?"

"Amen." She replied.

*****

We trekked to church and got there when the Mass was about to start. Right from the gate, we've been getting a lot of stares.

As we got closer to the church building, everyone entering the church kept looking at our direction and staring mostly at Kauna. Some looked very confused, even the Mass servers that passed by.

The two priests that were about to enter the church looked at our direction too, but with unreadable expressions. At least we all knew the reason for their stares.

I was the one who was uncomfortable the most because I was holding Kauna's hand. Once we got to the front of the church door, I released Kauna's hand from mine.

"I have to leave you guys from here." I told them.

"What? Why?" Daniella asked nervously while everyone looked at me.

"There's a children's church in the other building. You know you guys have to attend Sunday school." I pointed to one of the buildings, "Only Davina and I will be entering the main church."

"But we don't know anybody." Daniella complained.

"Don't worry you have Kauna and David. Look after them since you're the oldest." I told her, "You have to go now because Mass is about to start."

She nodded in her nervous state and held Kauna and David on either sides of her hands. Kauna looked at me, afraid that I will not be with her, as Daniella was taking her away.

I gave her a small smile and waved at her, hoping that my decision to allow Kauna wear hijab to church doesn't cause trouble for her or anybody today.

****

"David, we're back home now. You can stop crying." Davina patted her little brother's back as she carried him on her back.

After hundred years, David finally stopped crying from being forced to sit on the lap of the church's Father Christmas that looked like babalawo's apprentice.

"I don't blame David. If it's me, I will pour anointing oil on that Father Christmas' head." Daniella said while looking down at the printed picture of David and the scary-looking Father Christmas.

I snorted at her response as I dropped David's toy gift from Father Christmas on the centre table.

"You're right, there were no fine boys in church too." Davina said to me as she pounced on the couch with David, "But that fair altar boy was kind of cute."

I shook my head, knowing Davina and her obsession with fair boys. Even if we just knew each other for few days, she kept talking about only 'fair' boys. I wasn't too surprise she only went to church to look for fine 'fair' boys.

I glanced at the parlour clock to see it was 11:20pm. Our Christmas has begun and we should be expecting visitors anytime soon.

"How was your children's mass?" I asked Daniella.

"Funny. The children didn't like the reverend sister," Daniella said while sitting on the couch, "Because she refused to speak Hausa. She said since we're children, we must learn English."

She kicked her high heels away from her legs and added, "She also told us to call her Sister because some people could not even pronounce 'reverend' well."

"I had that same issue when I was younger." I scoffed and turned to Kauna, "How was it?"

"Mmm." She shrugged, practically saying it was okay.

"Kauna was quiet throughout church, even when the Sister asked her a question, she didn't answer. She looked scared." Daniella said.

That was the typical Kauna.

"What did they ask her?" I asked.

"Who is God." She replied.

I turned to Kauna and was about to say something but kept shut. Didn't Kauna tell me about inna Hauwa telling her about the definition of love is God? If she had said that, I bet the Sister will be as amused as I was.

I was also curious to ask her about if anybody said anything about the hijab but I didn't say anything.

I simply made my way to the room to get changed, since nobody was entering the room at the moment. I entered the room and was about to make my way to the drawer when I stopped in front of the mirror.

I glanced at Christmas outfit and realized I didn't need to change to anything simple, since it was Christmas.

Kauna walked into the room without bothering to know whether I was changing or not. I brushed it off since I was not going to change. She slowly sat and the bed and I caught her looking at me through the mirror.

"Is anything wrong?" I asked, still staring at myself in the mirror.

She shook her head. I nodded and turned around to look at her.

"Did anyone question you about your dressing?" I finally asked.

"The Sister did." She replied.

"What did she ask?" I folded my arms and leaned on the wall behind me.

"If I'm Muslim."

"And what did you tell her?" I asked curiously.

"I didn't say anything."

I nodded my head slowly before the door opened and Daniella peeped her head through the door.

"The visitors have started arriving." She said.

I stood upright immediately. It was time.

"I'm coming." I said.

Daniella nodded and left while I made my way to the door.

"The Sister call me after church." Kauna spoke up the moment I got to the door. I turned to her and waited for what she had to say. "She tell me 'Don't feel scared about the stares. You're always welcome'."

"She did?" I asked, surprised that she didn't complain about her dressing.

She nodded, "And she tell me thank you."

"For what?" I asked.

"For coming to church." She replied.

I looked at her and nodded my head slowly. Thank God there was no judgement.

The Reverend Sister really did think Kauna was Muslim. Even though to me, she was half Muslim and half Christian.

****

Christmas was all about the celebration of the birth of Jesus for us Christians. As for others, it was simply just a celebration.

Kaka always celebrates Christmas in our house every December. She did it mostly for the Muslim friends and families around because this was always their one opportunity to celebrate it.

She was basically the Mother Christmas for them. Except that she gave food instead of gifts.

Kaka saves up all through the year for every Christmas celebrations, and some of the other families that come to celebrate in our house also help in contributing money for the food stuffs. While some of the women also help in cooking more food stuffs and all the celebration will be done in our house because our front compound was spacious enough for everybody. All thanks to my rich great grandfather for building this house years ago, because Kaka and I would never have been able to afford a place like this if it wasn't a family thing.

It has been three hours since visitors started arriving. It was a full house at the moment. Most of the visitors were muslims from our neighbourhood while some others were from the church.

Children kept running up and down and playing games in the front compound. The elderly women sat in groups and gossiped with Kaka among them. While the young adults stayed in the parlour.

The Triple D's and Kauna also stayed in the parlor while I was the one doing most of the work. Thankfully, some of the young women from church helped with serving the food.

I walked outside the house door, when I suddenly heard children throwing bangers outside the gate. The elderly women looked around in fear, probably thinking it was gunshot. And they knew this was a regular thing every Christmas and New Year period.

I shook my head and chuckled. The festive season was nothing without bangers.

As I walked down the two step, I came to see two small boys fighting in front of the building.

"Be careful!" I shouted and separated them. But they kept trying to kick each other while I held them on each hand.

This children will not kill me. I came in between them and they still kept trying to hit each other even though I stood in the middle. I looked around for help but there was nobody.

"Let this day just end quickly." I muttered in annoyance and shut my eyes.

Once I opened my eyes, I glanced at the gate to see two unfamiliar people entering the gate. Two girls. One was a big girl, dark skinned, tall and really big in size. She was twice my plump size. The other was a small girl who was about David's age.

They walked into the compound while holding hands as the small girl held a baby doll in he other hand. Who were these people?

"Wabani!" Davina shouted from the house door and the big girl turned to look at her with a grin.

She walked to meet Davina and Davina left the door and they met in the middle before hugging each other tightly.

I released the two boys from my hands as I watched Davina and her friend. The two boys ran away immediately and started chasing each other.

Davina brought her friend and the small girl closer to me as I stood in front of the house building. Daniella came out of the house and stood beside me. When she saw Wabani, she grinned widely and waved at her.

"This is my cousin, Miriam." Davina introduced me to the big girl.

She smiled and waved at me and I did the same.

"This is my classmate and very good friend." Davina grinned with her hands around the big girl's shoulders, "Her name is Wabani. While this is Jana," She played with the small girl's hair, "her younger sister."

"Wabani?" I asked Davina, "I've never heard of the name before."

"They're from Adamawa state." She replied.

"It's a marghi name." Wabani replied, "We're marghis."

"Do you mean like Maggi the spices." Daniella joked.

Wabani and Davina looked at each other with a flat expression before Davina shook her head at her dry sister.

"I've heard that joke a million times." Wabani scoffed before Davina dragged her into the house.

"Jana baby." Daniella pulled the small girl's cheeks and carried her before entering the house with her, leaving me alone. Just like that.

I looked around and shook my head.

"I need to add more rice." Junior Junior said to me while passing by with a plate that already had rice and stew on it. "The stew is too much."

"I'm sure you're just using it as an excuse to fetch more food." I teased.

"Actually..." He looked around and said, "Yes." Then he walked away.

I chuckled and turned my head around, only to see special guests entering the house gate. Hamid and his siblings. They were about 6 of them.

I looked at them in surprise, not knowing that Hamid was even going to show up. I walked up to meet him and the three small children that came with him started running around, mostly towards the adults' side.

"Embiyu!" He shouted while looking at their direction, "Gambo!"

"Looks like you brought your whole family here." I said while I got closer to him.

He looked up at me and grinned before walking into the compound.

"Sorry I didn't get to introduce the twins and the smallest one." He said, "They're rushing to see who will make the most Christmas money."

"It's fine." I brushed it off, "As long as I know they're your siblings."

"Hello Miriam!" Sadiq grinned and waved before quickly leaving our side too. "Sai anjima, Ya Abdul."

"Hello." I said even though he had already gone.

I turned to their sister, Mariam, who just entered the gate and I waved at her. Mariam refused to reply and just walked away like she didn't see me.

I shook my head and turned back to Hamid.

"It looks like we're late since the place is full." Hamid looked around and back at me, "Sorry we came late, I had to go to the mosque... You know it's Friday."

"What are you saying?" I scoffed, "I thought you were not going to come since you didn't reply my message."

"Just because I didn't reply doesn't mean I rejected the offer." He shrugged and he waved his hands, "And... surprise! I'm here."

I frowned, "Just enter the house."

I led him to the main house building and as we walked, I noticed he didn't wear his army uniform today. But a kaftan again. This time it was light green in color.

"Before I forget, where is my birthday cake?" He turned to me as we walked, "The one from Kauna's birthday."

"You won't believe it." I replied, "It fell down and everything scattered."

His eyes widened, "How? After waiting for about 6 hours."

"My enemies came for me." I said and shook my head.

"Your enemies?" He asked.

"My cousins," I replied while looking ahead, "You'll meet them soon."

Suddenly, we bumped into Junior junior in front of the house.

"Abdul!" Junior junior called him in surprise.

"Mutum!" Hamid looked at him in surprise as well.

They clasped their hands together and gave a brief hug before drifting away. I was really surprised they knew each other.

"Mutum?" I asked in confusion.

Junior Junior and Hamid looked at each other before they chuckled.

"It means Human being." Hamid said.

I furrowed my eyebrows at both of them, still trying to understand if Hamid was on the bridge of realising that junior junior was actually a... human being.

"Okay..." I trailed off and said, "How do you know each other?"

"We're neighbours." He replied.

"Ohh." I mouthed in surprise. What an unusual coincidence. Then I looked back at Hamid, "So what would you like to do? Eat? Drink?"

"There's food at the back, let me show you." Junior junior told Hamid without waiting for his reply.

I followed them and met Mariam at the backyard as well. She was done fetching her fried rice and was looking for where she could keep the serving spoon.

I went over and left Hamid and Junior Junior to help themselves. I helped Mariam to carry the serving spoon. But she didn't appreciate me and just went on to fetch meat from another warmer.

"So is this your first Christmas celebration?" I asked, trying to start a conversation with Hamid's sister.

"How does that concern you?" She replied while looking for a meat in the pot.

"If you can excuse me but it's my food you're eating." I muttered to myself before I said, "Why don't you like me?"

She put a meat on her plate, covered the warmer and turned to look at me.

"Mariam." Hamid called, with a plate of food on his hand.

"Yes?" Mariam and I replied at the same time.

Hamid looked at us both for a moment before he realised that he just called both our names.

"Oh." He chuckled and shook his head, "I was calling my sister."

She left my side and went to stand in front of him. He told her some things in Hausa before she nodded and they both turned to me.

"Sorry I interrupted your conversation." Hamid apologised to both of us and grinned, "I see you two were bonding."

"Bonding my foot." Mariam scoffed.

"I notice you don't like my Mariam." He frowned at his sister, "Why?"

"Because she's fat." She shrugged, "and I don't like fat people."

I glared at her. Somebody is crossing the line.

Hamid put a surprised expression and said, "She's not fat. What are you saying?"

"If you had eyes you'll know what I'm saying." She said lastly and walked away.

I eyed her continuously before turning to Hamid. 

"If she wasn't your sister, we would have started a fight here. Doesn't she know who her seniors are." I hissed.

He chuckled and said, "She's 15."

"15?!" I looked at him, "She looks 12."

"Just like I thought you were 17." He said and grabbed a bottle of water from a cooler. "Do you want to go inside? I'm done."

"Only if that 12 year old isn't there." I insisted, referring to Mariam.

"No." He chuckled and shook his head, "She said she's going to stay outside with Sadiq and some other people."

"Good." I nodded and walked to go to the house with him and Junior Junior, who was standing in a distance.

As we got in front of the house, I glanced at the compound to see David and Faisal playing Ayo. It reminded me of the times Faisal and Arjun used to play it together.

Zainab came out with a sleeping baby Yahya on her back.

"Zizi." Junior Junior wiggled his brows at her as she passed him.

"Get out." She hissed and walked to my direction. "Why did you invite him."

"You know he wouldn't miss free food." I chuckled as Junior junior entered the house.

"Hello mr soldier." Zainab grinned at Hamid and smirked at me. I frowned at her, warning her not to do anything stupid.

"Oh, how far." He gave a small smile, "You must be..?"

"Zainab." She smiled, "Her best friend."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Abdulhamid." He nodded.

"I know." She smirked at me. I shook my head at her.

"No problem." He said and turned to me, "Where are the spoons please?"

"It's at the back as well." I said, "I can get it for you."

"Don't worry, I'll go myself." He hesitated, "Let me just go inside and drop the plate before I come back to get it."

I nodded and he walked into the house, leaving Zainab and I.

"If I had known he was coming," Zainab said and looked behind me, "I wouldn't have invited someone else."

"Who?" I asked and turned around to see what she was looking at.

My eyes widened when I saw Idris and Kabir entering the gate. I turned around to glare at Zainab.

"What is wrong with you?! You invited Idris and Kabir." I complained.

"What? I wanted to surprise you." She winked.

"Yesterday you called Hamid by boo. Today you're bringing Kabir for me." I groaned.

"Am I not the best person in the world." She scoffed and said, "And since you don't like Hamid, at least there's Kabir."

"I said I'm still not sure if I like Kabir or not." I said.

"She still does." Hamid butted in while walking out of the house door to meet us, "Since she has been fronting for me."

"Then try better." Zainab scoffed.

"I've tried." He said, putting his hands to his chest like he was hurt.

"I don't like any of you." I shook my head and turned around, only to come directly face to face with Kabir.

In shock, I took a step back and came to stand beside Hamid.

"Sunshine!" Idris called to Zainab.

"Baby." She grinned and came to hug him in front of all of us.

"Sunshine?" Hamid whispered to me, "But I thought-"

"I know." I cut him and snorted. He was trying to comprehend why Idris called Zainab sunshine when she was very black.

"He should have called her moonlight." He joked.

"Do you get any stupider?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"General Abdul!" Idris rose his hand and gave Hamid a loud handshake. For a moment I almost forgot Idris and Hamid were working together now that Idris was a soldier.

"Idris my man." Hamid grinned and spoke some things to him in hausa.

I glanced at Kabir, who was looking at me before he looked away once I caught him.

"Kabir... baa?" Hamid brought out his hands to him. Kabir nodded and they shook hands before they snapped their fingers.

"Do you people want to eat?" Zainab asked Idris and Kabir.

"What am I here for?" Idris scoffed, "When I hear free food, do you think I'll miss that opportunity."

"Alright." I chuckled, "Let's go to the back."

*****

It was evening, right before sunset, when I felt the need to finally leave the backyard. Ever since Kabir and Idris came into the house, I hid and stayed in the backyard throughout after they fetched their food and left.

I didn't know why I was hiding, but I just did. Maybe because of Kabir.

I left the backyard and came to the front compound of the house. It was empty as just few women from church were helping to sweep and tidy up the scattered compound.

As I made my way to enter inside the house, Junior Junior came out with about 6 take-away packs in his hands. Most of them had jollof rice or fried rice and chicken. Such a food lover.

"Bye Miriam." Junior Junior grinned while wearing his shoes in front of the house door.

"Junior junior." I chuckled and looked at him.

"That boy is so sweet." Wabani said to Davina from the parlor, "He is carrying food for his siblings."

I glanced at Wabani and scoffed. You wish.

"I know I'm dreaming if you're actually carrying the food for your siblings." I said to junior junior.

"Like you know." He said, adjusting the 6 packs on his hand, "If they have legs, they should come here and eat."

He was about to leave but stopped and whispered, "But don't tell her that it's for only me. Let her continue to dream on."

He walked away immediately and I just shook my head at the silly boy.

I turned around and entered the parlor to see the few people left in the house. My cousins, Kauna, Wabani, Jana and surprisingly, Hamid. Zainab, Kauna and Hamid sat on one of the couches while Wabani, Jana and Davina sat on the opposite couch. As usual, David and Daniella shared the single sofa. Almost everyone was using their phone, while David, Daniella and Kauna were watching TV.

Zainab stood up once I entered, this time she was not carrying baby Yahya on her back.

"I'm going." She said lazily, while coming to stand in front of me.

"No problem." I said and looked around, "Has Kabir gone?"

"No." Hamid replied and shook his head, "He is waiting for you in the room. Ready for some knacks."

I sneered at a him while he wiggled his eyebrows in response.

"Don't mind him." Zainab chuckled, "He has gone. I will see you tomorrow."

I hugged her before she walked out of the house in her tired state. Davina stood up immediately before I could find somewhere to sit down.

She came to stand in front of me and brought out a picture in her hand.

"It's my Christmas gift." She said while stretching out her hands.

I looked at her in confusion and collected the paper picture from her and looked at it. My shoulders dropped. It was a picture of Mama and I.

I stared at it and turned it around in amusement. But I saw a phone number written at the back of the picture.

"That one is a mistake." She chuckled in embarrassment, "I was trying to give my number to one fine boy in Mr Biggs."

I just looked up at her without knowing what to say. This was something I really needed for a long time. A picture of Mama I mean. I needed a picture that I could remember what she looked like while growing up before she fades away in my memories.

I looked back at the picture. Mama and I were standing in front of our Abuja house with arms around each other's shoulders and we were grinning from ear to ear. We wore the exact same clothes because our parents always dressed us up to look like twins. For some reason, I remember this picture was taken about 4 years ago after a church Mass, before my parents died. Those were the times I was very fat that my dress zip used to cut anyhow and I had to use a black veil to cover my back.

I looked back at Davina and gave her a small smile, feeling the nostalgia in my chest.

"Thank you." I mouthed. She smiled back and nodded before going back to sit beside Wabani.

"Let me see!" Daniella said and jumped down from her chair to stand beside me.

David followed her and came to stand beside me as well. They both stretched and stared at the picture in amusement.

"Aunty was fat." David said.

"I know." Daniella agreed, "She lost a lot of weight now."

I didn't respond but just stared at the picture. I was in the mood for no joke. Seeing Mama's actual face again brings back memories. Davina seemed to have noticed my mood and decided to distract everyone.

"Who wants to go and play outside?!" She asked everyone.

"Me!!!" David, Daniella and Jana shouted gleefully. I couldn't help but be amused at big Daniella opening her mouth to join the little ones.

"Let's go." She said and stood up with Wabani to leave the house.

She touched my shoulders before walking out of the door behind me. David, Jana and Daniella followed them while Kauna and Hamid stayed behind.

I sat on the couch next to Hamid, causing him to sit in between Kauna and I.

"You don't want to play with them?" Hamid asked Kauna. She shook her head in response. "You should give it a try, it will be fun."

Kauna didn't say anything but stood up and went outside to join them, probably knowing what Hamid was up to.

"So it's just the two of us," Hamid smirked at me, "As always."

"Mhmm." I mumbled, still staring at Mama in the picture.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I rose the picture to his face. He stared at it and mouthed 'oh' before I placed it back on my lap.

"That's Mama.... right?" He asked. I nodded.

He stared at the picture on my laps before pinching my right cheek, "Always been cute."

I gently removed his hands and looked at him.

"Do you know how painful your hand is?" I complained.

"I know." He smiled, "And that's why I like doing this."

He brought his two hands to both of my cheeks and started pinching them again. I pushed his fingers away and shook my head in dismay.

"I know you like it." He teased. I didn't say anything and he sighed and decided to give up his play play act.

We didn't say anything for a little while. I looked back at the picture. Hamid glanced at the picture and then looked away.

"Who is the girl that gave you the picture?" He asked, talking about Davina.

"My cousin." I said, "The queen of my enemies that I told you about earlier."

He chuckled and said, "But you don't seem to hate her."

I shook my head, "Not anymore."

"Sometimes our worst enemies give us the best gift."

"Which is?" I asked.

"A reason to stop hating them." He replied.

"I guess so.." I shrugged and looked at the picture, "At least I will not forget Mama's face anymore."

"Can I ask you a question?"

I turned to look at Hamid, waiting for him to say something.

"How did she die?" He asked.

I sighed and looked away. One way or the other, I knew he was going to ask this question.

"Well, we were popularly known as the 'rebellious orphans' because we used to steal." I started, "One day, I saw a henna in a shop and I always wanted one. I told Mama to steal it and a man caught Mama in the act. Then two men were taking her away to the market square while I hid behind. Long story short, I was going to rescue her by throwing a stone to one of the men but sadly, it landed on her. And that was how she died."

Hamid remained silent after I finished my quick explanation. I turned to look at him and he was just staring at me as if he expected me to say more.

"You kill-"

"Yes I did." I nodded. "And you can judge me. I understand."

"There's no way I was going to judge you." He scoffed and put his hand on my right shoulder, "Don't worry. Everybody makes mistake."

I shrugged and just stared into space. Heard that a million times.

"So did you ever get one?" He asked, removing his hand from my shoulder, "The henna."

I shook my head, "I always wanted one but then... you know."

"I know." He nodded, "But there are a lot of women that can put henna here in Kaduna so why-"

"Can we just drop the topic." I cut him.

"Sorry." He mumbled and looked away, "But I still pray some day that you'll get to have one."

I didn't respond but just shook my head. The topic was already making me feel frustrated. There was a little silence and I was starting to feel frustrated for just cutting Hamid off.

"Is there something you've always wanted?" I asked, "Like really bad."

"I will not say 'really bad' per se." He said, "But yes there is something."

"And what's that?" I looked at me.

He looked at me and said, "To visit and pray at the National mosque in Abuja."

"What's so special about it that makes it different from other mosques?"

"It's a really beautiful building. Golden in color." He said in enthusiasm, "Any Muslim man can pray there. Rich and poor, old and young, bachelor, married and divorced. Anybody. The one beautiful place that everybody is equal. And no man is greater than the other."

I nodded my head slowly, "I hope you go there one day."

"I hope so too." He sighed.

Silence was yet again, falling into place. I just felt that this was the best time for Hamid to go home since his siblings and everyone else had gone.

"So-" We both said at the same time and stopped immediately.

"It happened again." He chuckled.

"But I will let you go first this time." I insisted.

"Uhmm." He sighed, "Will you forgive me for something I haven't done?"

"What did you do wrong?" I frowned.

"I haven't told you something."

"Which is?" I raised my brow, waiting for him to get straight to the point.

"Merry Christmas." He said.

I scoffed, "It's not a big deal."

"It is-for me." He said, "because this is the first Christmas I'm celebrating. And thank you for that."

I stared at him and smiled, "Merry Christmas Hamid."

"Thank you." He whispered.

"Who's Faisal?" Davina asked, interrupting us from the door.

We both turned to see her standing by the entrance door and holding David's hands.

"My neighbour. Why?" I asked her.

"He took David's canvas." She whined. "And those were the only shoes he brought to Kaduna."

I glanced down at David's legs to see him barefoot.

"He said they were playing a game," She added, "And they made a deal that if David loses, he will give his canvas to Faisal."

"You shouldn't have given him even if he forced you." I told David, who looked down in shame.

"Or you should have at least won." Hamid shrugged.

"I didn't play the game to win." David replied while staring at the ground, "I played it to give someone what they don't have."

I didn't say anything but just looked at Davina who was already blowing up.

"Let's get it." I said lastly.

****

Davina, David and I were the only people that went over to Mama Halimat's house. Hamid walked us out of the gate and left once we made our way to the other house.

At the moment, we were banging Mama Halimat's house door.

"Zainab go and open the door!" Mama Halimat shouted from inside, sounding very frustrated.

We heard loud fast footsteps before the door swung open in front of us. Zainab stood there with an annoyed expression.

"Is everything alright?" I asked first, before jumping into the main topic.

"Just forget." She said in annoyed tone, "Why are you here?"

"David said he gave Faisal his canvas." I said, "And we came to collect it."

"Faisal told me about it. That they made a deal." She folded her arms and leaned against the door frame, "I'm sorry but we can't give it back. A deal is a deal."

"Zainab." I waved my hands to her face, "What are you saying? The shoe is for David and he has every right to get it back."

"Miriam." She shut her eyes, "I'm not in the mood now. Can you come back tomorrow and discuss it with Faisal."

"Excuse me but that is my brother's only shoe here." Davina snapped, "Who cares about the game? Just give back the shoe and we'll go."

"Come sef. Isn't Faisal older than David?" I asked, "So why is he taking his shoes."

"It's his size if you want to know. And besides," Zainab crosses her arms and looked at Davina, "You people have a lot of money to buy ten canvas. After all, you're rich spoilt people."

"That doesn't give you the excuse to leech off them." I argued.

Zainab scoffed. I exhaled in frustration, not understanding Zainab's attitude.

"I'm so confused!" I glared at her, "Why are you taking Faisal's side? Just bring the shoe and let us go."

"Do you know the struggle mama Halimat has to go through to pay her children's school fees?" Zainab snapped, "She can't afford to get him a canvas and this is his only opportunity to get one. So stop being selfish!"

"Nobody is being selfish!" Davina shouted this time, causing David to whimper and hide behind her. "Just bring the shoe and let us go!"

"No." She replied.

Faisal came out from behind and was holding the canvas. It seemed like he heard everything we said and decided to return it back. But as he was coming out, Zainab pulled him back.

"Don't give it back." She said while looking at us.

I was already tired of Zainab's attitude. And she had this attitude most of the time when she knew how frustrating it was.

"Zainab." I shut my eyes, "Can you stop acting stupid?"

She looked at me in surprise and said, "Take that back."

"I'm not apologizing until you give back the shoe." I said.

"Are you really taking this far?" She asked, "Barney."

I glared at Zainab for calling me that. She knew how much I hated it. I regret telling her the story of when I was younger and how my classmates used to call me Barney or Fati bum bum because I was fat. If this was her way to clap back, I think she has gone too far.

"Zainab." I muttered.

"Fat thing?" She raised her brows.

I was ready to hit her but Davina pulled me back. I swear this wasn't my best friend. This was another person inside Zainab, even if she always had a bad attitude when she was very angry.

I brushed Davina's hand away from my arm and walked straight to Zainab. I pushed her to the side and grabbed the shoes from Faisal. He stepped back and stared at me in shock.

Zainab tried grabbing them away from me but I pulled it back harder, causing her to fall down.

"Just because you're fat doesn't mean you're stronger!" She shouted while on the ground. "Just get out."

"Zainab." I said in frustration, "Remember, you're the first person that started this fight. You really want to take it this far?"

"Get out." She hissed.

I looked at Zainab, not believing she was really ready to take it this far. This was the problem with having bad tempered friends.

I didn't say anything but just walked away from the house. I passed Davina with the shoes in my hands and made my way for the gate. Before I walked out of the gate, I heard Davina tell Zainab,

"If she's fat, then what are you?" She hissed, "With those your amazon eyebrows."

*****

I could barely focus on the after Christmas work. I could barely think of anything. All I know was that I was pissed at Zainab for the whole time.

It was about 8:30 pm when everyone decided to rest and give the work a break, till tomorrow morning.

We were all hanging out in my room, except for Kaka who chose to stay in her room, and eating kilishi. Wabani was sleeping over at our house. Earlier, she went back home to drop Jana and carry her overnight stuffs.

The room was blasting of Styl-Plus music since Wabani brought her CD player with only one Styl-Plus CD.

I sat at the top end of my bed and thought of Zainab's argument today while taking each bite of the kilishi. David and Kauna were looking through Kauna's drawings in her diary while sitting on the floor.

Davina and Wabani sat at the tail end of my bed and Daniella knelt down in front of them as they all stared at the paperback Styl-Plus CD and eating kilishi at the same time. The threesome kept arguing about who was the finest Styl-Plus member as they looked at the CD cover.

"I think Zeal is the finest." Wabani said, "Can't you see the black beauty in him."

"No." Davina shook her head and pointed to the picture, "It's Tunde!"

"You're only saying that because he is fairer." Wabani argued. "I only know that Tunde seems to be the leader."

"All of you are wrong." Daniella clasped her hands together and said, "It's Shifi that is the finest. He even looks more like the leader."

"See this small girl." Wabani scoffed at her, "What do you know about fine boys?"

And that was how they kept arguing. I just sat at the other end of the bed, staring into space. Silently keeping all my anger to myself.

Zainab was being unnecessarily mean today. We always had our good days and bad days. But today was an extremely bad day. And I wonder when she will realize and apologize for her childishness.

She knew how much I hated being called fat. Worse of all, she called me Barney. It may sound so immature and funny but I didn't like jokes about my body. And she knew that very well.

Suddenly, my phone screen lights up on my lap. I picked it up to see a message from Hamid.

Hamid: Were you able to get David's shoe back?

Me: Yh fortunately

I didn't want to say anything about my fight with Zainab before he starts giving one long advice on how we shouldn't fight. I stared at the phone and Hamid replied immediately after.

Hamid: He is such a weird kid. But I like him.

Me: Lol I kno u do

Hamid: What are you girls doing tomorrow?

Me: Nothin.. Y?

Hamid: My friends and I are playing football on the field opposite Tafewa Balewa clinic. Want to come?

I was about to reply but then, my hands stopped me. I looked up and remembered something. Something Hamid told me earlier when he stepped into the house today.

I locked my phone screen and kept it aside with a smile plastered on my face. Now two can play the game.

"Well... Just because I didn't reply doesn't mean I rejected the offer." I muttered, repeating Hamid's exact words from today.

Now it was time for Hamid to decide whether I was going to show up tomorrow... or not.
_________________
END OF CHAPTER 16

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 1.9K 16
An irresponsible, pampered, rich man falls in love with a girl who doesn't know of his existence but he doesn't care, he wants to marry her and he ha...
34K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...
38.8K 4.9K 39
The first time she saw him was at her sisters wedding and she couldn't stop thinking about him. Now she is madly in love with him. But will he love h...
256K 31.3K 58
As humans, we all make plans but Allah is the best of planners.Four cousins thought they had their lives all sorted out.They all had plans for the fu...