Return of the Asuras |Lesbian...

By Svetaivanova

The Holy Game is over. Now Nikita has won both respect and support among the children of the gods, but she ha... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Author's Note

Chapter 19

7.9K 498 60
By Svetaivanova

Another day passed as the sun graced over the mountains. The King summoned everyone to the council again.

By now, they all knew what had happened. The big tent flap opened, again and again as people kept arriving. Tepi, Ravi, Vorac came in first. Atith, Samudra, Morokot, Tusita, and Issarak along with his avatar friends entered the tent later.

Other kings, princes, and generals sat waiting to hear the council. The last to come into the room was the son of Yama.

"Raksa?" Tepi said with a disapproving frown when she saw him. "Where on earth have you been? We are in deep crisis and you were nowhere to be found!"

"Forgive me, my love," he said. "I so wished to be by your side, but my duty in the Netherworld delayed me."

Tepi gave him a death glare.

"What duty?" Tusita said. "We had been fighting demons left and right while you were only mindful of the dead! Didn't you know the princess has been abducted?"

"Of course I do! But my father needed help to guard the imprisoned Asuras in his kingdom," Raksa said. "There's a pending chaos even in the world below."

The King stood from his seat and raised his hand to stop their bickering. He seemed less agile as his Queen was absent from the meeting. I heard that she had fallen ill, and the twins were tending to her.

"A terrible calamity has struck my family," the King said. His eyes still bore the look of grief, but his voice spoke with determination. "Now I urge you ready your steads and armors for tomorrow we are going to war."

"But Your Majesty, our men are reeling with doubt and fear," one of the generals said. "They saw what the demons are capable of and how we are powerless to stop them. Now it troubles their mind."

"Yes, besides they know we're outnumbered, they think we are going to lose."

"We need more force!" Issarak suggested. "We can't fight with feeble-hearted men; otherwise the end shall be upon us."

"Every soldier in this camp is all we have, my young avatar," one of the generals spoke to him. "We have no other allies to lean on for more force."

"What?" Issarak exclaimed. "Then I shall pray to my father for his divine help."

"Don't waste your energy in prayers. The gods can't help us now," Tusita said to him. "The ancient law forbids them. The godless month has arrived. Now we are on our own."

Everyone sighed in distress. I looked at the councilmen. They once looked upon me for hope, now they seemed to avoid my eyes.

"What other option do we have?" Atith asked.

"I have an idea if you would hear me," Raksa said out of the blue.

"Indeed, do tell us," the King spoke.

"In the realm of Naraka, there are innumerable souls who were once great warriors and generals. Some of them have secured their seats in my father's court. We could convince them to help us as they're not bound by any law on earth or heavens."

Even Tepi was also impressed by his brilliant proposal.

"Will your father allow it?" Samudra asked curiously.

"I don't know, but I must try to persuade the lord."

"Yama is the God of Justice," Tepi added. "He can't be easily persuaded."

"I know that, but this seems to be our only chance," he said. "After all, we're seeking the help not from the gods or mortals, but from the dead. It's not against the sacred rule, is it not?"

Suddenly, like someone had whispered it in my ear, I remembered what the Hora said about my prophecy. At last, I understood what role I had to take.

My face turned to the dark prince again.

"Raksa, can you take me to your holy father?" I asked.

Everybody looked at me as if I was mad. Raksa looked hesitant with my request.

"Indeed I can," he said. "But no mortal who ever enters the Naraka shall return. It is a rule set by the Lord of Death himself."

I turned to the others who looked at me with concerns.

"It is my prophecy," I said. "I will have to go on otherworldly quests, enter a fire-lit realm where no living soul has ever gone. Now it's time for I have to go to hell."

The avatars sat frozen at my words.

"Nikita, are you sure you want to do this?" Tepi said.

"I have done otherworldly quests," I said. "I have been to heaven and the Naga realm. Now it seems the Netherworld is my final quest as mentioned in the prophecy."

People looked at each other and then they nodded.

In my mind, I could still remember pieces of the oracle's prediction.

'When ashes rain from the sky, the fate of the living and the dead depends on you.'

~*~

Raksa could bring only three people with him, so Tepi and Atith came along with us. We passed through the black mist, following him. Then when we glanced around, we realized we had entered the dark gloomy world of the dead.

Everywhere I looked was haunting empty darkness. Only a passage was lit by green-flamed torches. The son of Death walked us through floating cold fog. Then a huge iron gate appeared into view.

There, we saw people waiting by the great entrance. They were souls of the deceased. Their impassive faces flickered like candlelight as they moved forward. They looked like a black river flowing endlessly.

When we got closer, we realized that on either side of the giant gate were two colossal guardians. They stood hundreds of feet tall, watching over the souls. In their hands held a massive golden staff. The gatekeepers were so still, we could mistake them for statues. But when we approached the grand entrance, the Guardians of Hell moved with crashing sounds and swift steps to block our path.

"Stand off!" they growled with a fierce rusty voice that sent us chills of terror. "Only the dead shall pass the gate!"

Our heart almost leaped out of our chests, but Raksa raised his joined palms to greet them.

"I am the son of Yama. These are my friends," he said. "Please let us in. We have an important mission to meet my father."

We were relieved that the guardians recognized him and bowed away. Raksa motioned for us to follow him with a smile.

As we went past the entrance, we heard a hideous growling and the pounding of mighty paws. Then two gigantic black dogs with four eyes and wide nostrils leaped out. They were hellhounds that guarded the road to Yama's abode.

Atith screamed in a shrilling high-pitch voice.

"Monsters!"

He was about to swing his spear at the giant beasts when Raksa came to stop him.

"No! Fear them not, my friends," he reassured us. "These are the hounds that guard the Netherworld. They will do you no harm while I'm with you."

We watched the creatures jumping around, yapping in glee. Their tails wagged frantically and all their jaws widened with joy. Though the huge hellhounds seemed friendly enough; we still preferred to stand aloof. As Raksa was patting them, they lay down and closed their eight-eyes. Their long tongues lolled out and licked his hands and face.

Later, we left the four-eyed dogs at the dark gate, and they went off, barking at ghosts.

Along the path, we saw all kind of torments inflicted on the sinful souls. Everywhere we looked hot fume and fire burst from the black ground. We crossed the bridge over a river of bubbling lava. As we passed, I saw the dead floating and screaming in agony. I flinched and looked away. We went through a forest of iron-thorned trees, where souls were forced to climb on. There was a field that had nothing but jagged rocks like sharp teeth. More souls wandered around it bare feet, crying over the sins they had committed.

From up above and down below and all around us, the Underworld was filled with tormented screams. I wondered how Raksa could sleep at night down here with all the haunting wails of the dead.

"Are all the deceased coming here for their judgments?" I asked.

"Yes, all of them."

Then I thought about Kesar. Raksa seemed to sense my grief stirring.

"I'm sorry about your beloved friend," he said. I looked at him in surprise. But of course, he knew about Kesar's death from the avatars. "You do not need to grieve for her. She has taken another birth in heaven by my father's decree. There's no sadness there, only music and songs and laughter."

I nodded back in relief. I was still sad, but also glad to hear that Kesar would no longer remember the pain on earth. She was truly free from me and this cruel theme.

The Temple of Death was an enormous stone structure that looked like a mountain. Its doors and windows were carved into the black rock, looking like a beehive.

Tall massive guards came towards us. They were dark and grim. Their face had no trace of expressions. Without any word, they escorted us into the temple.

We entered the throne hall with wary eyes. Once inside the royal court, we saw a scowling blue-skinned man sitting atop a black throne. There was no mistaking who he was.

Yama, the God of Justice and Lord of Death, was already waiting for us with a stern face.

In his hand was a noose that he used to rip the soul from the corpse. Sleeping by his feet was his mount, a black water buffalo. It was said that the King of Naraka was the first god to ever experience death itself.

Yama regarded us in silence. At his right side was his assistant, Chitragupta, who was assigned with the task of keeping records of people's sins and virtues on earth. There were other servants, too. They were the deceased warriors and brave kings. I noticed their skin was white and powdery with some patches missing, showing their teeth and bones. Their eyes were either hollow or glazed like the eyes of a dead fish as they stared at us. Some still adorned their battle-worn armor and bore the look of bravery on their faces.

"Lord Father," Raksa greeted Yama with a humble bow, and we did the same. "I have come with an important matter..."

"I know why you are here," Yama spoke in a deep powerful voice. His tone was sharp and chilling like nails running down your spine. "No one comes to my realm without being sent for. No one has before, and no one will again. You of all people should know the rules."

"Father, my friends have an urgent request, which is why I brought them here. We are in a deep crisis."

Then Tepi came forward with another bow.

"My lord, on earth, the war is coming steadfast upon us," she said. "Ravana, the King of Asuras, has returned and abducted our princess. We need more army to go against the demon lord. We know you have kept so many brave souls who died in battles. Please, Lord Yama, allow us to have your force, or we shall fall in ruin by the hand of the demon king."

"Never done," said the god. "A disastrous wish to grant."

Atith stepped in next.

"Lord Yama, the sun god is your father, and he is also mine. Must you sit back and help not your own family?"

"The law is above blood tie," Yama said. "The dead don't fight in the mortal war. Their souls don't belong on earth or they shall be reduced to ashes and never to take on new births forever. Your request abuses the law of nature."

This time I decided to speak up.

"King Yama," I said. "We only ask for volunteers and a temporary aid. This one stroke of unique mercy will save us from doom. I beg for your kindness. Your help will seem like justice for all to see."

His assistant, Chitra, leaned forward and whispered to the god. Yama seemed reluctant but then he turned his stern gaze back to me.

"You're the Child of Prophecy, are you not?" he said. "Then prove to me that you're worthy of my gift. If you can answer me three questions, I shall grant you your wish."

I looked at my friends who looked back at me. We had no choice but to agree to it.

"What are the questions, my lord?" I said.

"What is the most ignorant thing on earth?"

My heart pumped with excitement for I knew the answer right away. It was what the Guru had taught us, and luckily, I did pay attention.

"Each day humans enter the Temple of Death, but the ones left behind continue to live like they still have time."

Yama was silent for a moment before he nodded.

"And what is more numerous than the stars at night?"

I smiled.

"The thoughts that arise from the human mind."

The Lord of Death remained quiet. The look of approval from those around him indicated that my answer was right. My friends turned to me with a grin.

"Then what is the mystery that comes beyond death?" Yama said.

This time, my mind went blank. I couldn't remember any lesson the Guru had taught about it.

"Father! It's unfair to ask her this question!" Raksa cried in protest. "This has been a mystery even to the gods themselves!"

"Then you must take your friends back," Yama said, his face remained mask-like as ever.

I dropped my gaze to the floor. My mind raced along with my heart. This was my only chance to save Amarisa. I could not fail.

Then a spark of memory burst in my head. Yama thought I couldn't answer this question. You cannot know what comes after death without having experienced it.

Except that I had.

"The mystery beyond death is the union between you and your True Self," I found myself speaking. "You return to your original form, which is the ultimate form of all forms."

For the first time, the King of the Underworld looked at me with a slight surprise in his eyes. We were waiting and waiting. After a long stretching moment, he finally spoke again.

"You shall ask the dead yourself," he said. "There is no fairness in me deciding their fate knowing what lies at stake."

All my friends sighed in disappointment. My heart sunk when I looked at those stern faces.

How could I convince the dead to rise and do my work?

I thought of my beloved Amarisa, who was crying for me with sorrow heavy in her heart. If I failed this quest, I probably would never see her face again. My eyes were brimming with tears as I stared around the hall.

"I just want my wife back," I said quietly. "Ravana has made her captive against her will. She has done nothing wrong. She loves me with all her heart, and she doesn't deserve such cruelty. If I couldn't bring her back, my life was worth not another moment on earth. You might as well keep me here with you."

There was a deep silence among the attendants of the court. I looked at each of them imploringly.

"You were once brave warriors," I said. "You'd once charged in land battles and sea battles with flashing swords, but at the end of every fight, you came back to your loved ones, and they would treat your wounds and warm your heart. You understand how it feels to be apart from them. I beg you, please help me restore my love, and I would be forever grateful to you."

They sat there listening with no reaction. I thought I had lost this chance. But then I noticed those empty eyes had never been as bright as they were now. At last, one by one, they turned to their King.

"O great Yama, we are pleased to serve therefore let her have her wish."

The dark king didn't speak for a few moments. Afterward, he rose to his feet. Large and towering, he stared down at us.

"I am a god of judgments and truth. I cannot be moved by such sentiment," he said then paused for another moment. "But your strong will has earned my pity. Hear me then, you now have a command over the dead army. They have pledged their service to you. You may summon them from my abode when the time is right."

My friends were both relieved and overjoyed. The god taught us a mantra to evoke the force. We bowed in gratitude, once to the Lord of Death, once to the dead kings and warriors.

Then we left the Underworld and went back to the land of the living above.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 294 53
Have you ever wondered what it is like to be in a fantasy novel with werewolves? Spoiler alert: It isn't as great as you would expect it to be. Sure...
79 4 30
Since the day Isha was born everything she and her rider Kiora have wanted was to win the dragon races, it became increasingly harder as people and m...
52 0 24
Summary Born with an ability to heal and see spiritual beings, unknown past, reborned as a normal high school student, but what happens when she lays...
18.3K 684 27
TEASER: "No fiancΓ©e of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...