Crave ✔

By Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2017 *Completed* Highest rankings: #6 in Werewolf #1 in Wolves #3 in Featured He was said... More

Preface
Name Pronunciations
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43

Chapter 19

327K 15.5K 5.3K
By Daydream1011

Hey guys,

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 19

       I wouldn't go as far as to say I felt brand new the next time I woke, but it was close enough. There was already warm water in the bath waiting for me, and- even more surprising- one of the castle's servants laying out a dress.

       "My lady." The serving girl said with a deep curtsy before standing once again. "Shall I help you undress for your bath?" She asked politely, her red hair tied in a loose bun underneath a white handkerchief. I gave her a confused frown.

       "Um, n-no thank you. I'll manage."

       "Of course. My name is Ellen, my lady. If you need me just ring the bell." She nodded towards the cord at the back of the room before curtsying one more time and leaving.

       I stared after her in shock. It had been three months since I arrived, and that was the first servant I had ever seen anywhere near my room.

       How odd...

       The bath was refreshing, and seemed to ease whatever was left from that little almost-dying-again fiasco. The heavy snow had finally started to melt, but that didn't mean the yearly-snow was leaving anytime soon. I was thankful for the long-sleeved dress the girl had laid out for me. Even though I could have gotten it myself. I had been for the last three moons.

       I didn't have to wait long for Aeyron to knock on my door, he did almost the same time every day. I checked to make sure the King's letter was still under my pillow before hopping over to the sitting room to let the General in. I gave him a large smile when I opened the simple piece of wood that blocked my room from the hall.

       "You look much better." He said with a large, beaming grin that only made my own want to grow.

       "I feel much better. How is the King?"

       "He's fine. Still sleeping. Let's get you something solid to eat, yes?" There was no room for argument in his tone, and he was taking my arm and leading my down the hall before I realized it. I rolled my eyes. This wolf was obsessed with making sure I ate.

       "He's still sleeping?" The gold-power had healed almost every cut, scrape, or bruise he had. Even if he did lose all that blood, his healing abilities far surpassed mine. He should have been fine by now. Maybe I hadn't healed him as well as I thought-

       Aeyron let out a tired sigh, his smile slowly fading. "Yes, he usually runs himself dry when he has to use that much power."

       That much power...

       Was it really that hard to save me?

       "But don't worry about him, my lady. He will be good as new in no time." His smile was back, and it shone like the brightest candle in a dark room.

       "Would you like to go see him later?"

       "What?" The question caught me off guard, and not just because I haven't been in the King's side of the castle before. I was never invited to go see him- except to eat. He was wounded- or sick- or whatever, but still.

       "North? Do you want to visit him after you eat?" He asked again, slower even like that would help. I fidgeted with the edge of my dress, a silly little blush playing on my cheeks.

       "I, um, I-I don't want to intrude on his privacy or anything-"

       "Please, Lady Emrie. I think he would really like to see you."

       Uncertainty filled my chest. If the King still wasn't feeling good I'm sure the last thing he needed was an unwanted visitor- but the look in Aeyron's eyes was hard to say no to. And I did really want to see him. I found myself nodding reluctantly.

       "Great!" The wolf chirped happily before escorting me into the room the King and I would dine in on the rare occasion he had wanted to see me.

       My eyes widened at the scene just inside of the door. All five of the other Generals were sitting around the table eating and talking loudly, Eildor and Aleos even laughing. I took a step back in surprise. What were we doing here? I never ate with the General's before- I hardly ever ate with Aeyron.

       The King's Second in Command slammed the door shut behind us, and caused all eyes to turn in our direction. There was silence, and then all the Generals stood to their feet and bowed in our direction- even Terif.

       "Lady Emrie." They all greeted together, their eyes glowing with the light of their wolf.

       "H-Hi." I waved awkwardly as they all stood from their bows, but none took their seat again. They were silent as they watched us- watched me. My hands started to shake nervously at my side. What was going on?

       "This way." Aeyron spoke softly at my side and eased gently on my lower back until I was walking in the direction he wanted me to go in.

       They all stood standing, silently, watching me with their glowing eyes until Aeyron pulled me to a stop beside the very seat the King would usually sit in. "Sit." He commanded softly, and I did without hesitation- anything to get their eyes off me. As soon as I was seated in the King's chair, the other five all sat back in their own- including Aeyron.

       Well then...

       They still watched me, even as I reached up to grab various foods for my plate. None looked away until I had eaten a bite of toast. But even as they all went back to eating, I could still feel their attention directed at me. But Terif was the only giant bubble of tension at my side the entire time.

       "What's your problem?" I grumbled half way through eating when I glanced up to see his golden eyes glaring holes into the side of my head for the third time since I sat down. His gaze flared and he grit his jaw before leaning slowly over the table.

       "You almost got yourself killed again, and you want to know what my problem is?" He snarled quietly, even though I'm sure everyone at the table could hear if they truly wanted to.

       "You don't have to sound so mean about it." I mumbled and dropped my gaze to the porridge I was stirring uselessly around its bowl.

       "Mean? I told you to stop, but you didn't listen to me- again. And you don't want me to sound mean about it?!"

       "Leave her alone, Terif. She just started feeling better." Aeyron growled from my other side, his brown eyes hard as he glared over at the King's third in command.

       My head was starting to throb.

       "We almost lost them both, Aeyron. I have a right to be pissed off-"

       "Which I'm sure you can all bicker about later. Let my lady eat." Eildor's voice called from the other end of the table, but that only sent a bright blush to my cheeks. So, they were listening to everything.

       Perfect.

       The table fell into a stony silence, even though I could practically feel the anger streaming from Terif in a tidal wave. I didn't understand what his problem was. Yeah, so I almost died again- but I didn't. And I saved the King's life. Why couldn't he just be thankful for that and move on?

       "Are you finished?" Aeyron asked softly a few minutes later once the other Generals had started talking again and I pushed my plate away. I nodded and let him help me to my feet.

       "I am taking Lady Emrie to the King. You all have your tasks for the time being. I've canceled the gathering today due to North, but if he is feeling better I will let you all know." He announced to the table before edging me towards the door, their nods and affirmations following us the whole way.

       "Don't let Terif bother you. He's just upset." Aeyron said on a sigh once the doors had closed behind us and we started walking back up the stairs.

       "About what? We are both fine." I grumbled as I hiked my dress up enough so I wouldn't trip over all the fabric. The wolf beside me paused, his body stiff as he led me along the marble steps.

       "It takes a lot to kill the King- a lot more than the wounds that he had. But they weren't healing, not like usual. The Raiders were smart, they must have laced their blades with some poison foreign to our medicine. That's why we were all going a little crazy, no one knew what to do." He cast me a sad smile before leading away from the steps and down the beautiful statue hallway.

       "For a moment, we thought we were going to lose him permanently. And then you- you almost died trying to save him. I told you that Terif holds a soft spot for you, add that onto the fact you are North's mate- losing you both is a terrifying notion."

       That still sounded like a load of bull to me- Terif holding a soft spot for me that is, but if Aeyron truly believed it- then I guess I would for now. "He knew about the gold-power. That's why he tried to stop me." I murmured more to myself than him, but I knew he heard anyways.

       "Yes, he and I both- now the majority of the castle does too. North mentioned it when he first entrusted us with your safety. We were to stop you from using it at all costs. He feared the toll it would have on your life."

       I followed him past the statues and around a corner. There was a small metal stair case at the back of the hall, one that wasn't big enough for two people to climb side-by-side.

       "Even though I was saving the King's life, he still tried to stop me."

       "Yes."

       I climbed the metal staircase slowly after him, one hand gripping tightly onto the railing, and the other on my dress. I wasn't sure how to feel. On one hand I was thankful Terif wanted to save my life, but the other knew it was just because they King had ordered him to.

       "The King really likes his privacy." I grumbled when we finally climbed through a square opening in the ceiling and into a small, private hallway. Aeyron chuckled.

       "Yes, but this is just the back way to get to his wing. The servants take the many stairwell."

       And why in the world weren't we?

       The King's wing was twice as large as mine, and far more secluded. The door to his rooms were open as light from the windows illuminated the hall. Aeyron knocked politely on the opened door, but only for the server's benefit. She was sitting on a stool beside the bed, a bucket at her feet and a cloth in her hands.

        My lips pulled into a frown.

       "Lord Aeyron." She stood immediately to her feet and bowed low, her head dropping her gaze to the floor.

       My eyes flickered over to the sleeping King. He was shirtless and laying above the covers, a frown pulling at his handsome face. My heart sped in my chest. He didn't look like he was breathing at all- his chest was oddly still. He looked as if he were dead.

       "Vanessa, you may leave. I think Lady Emrie can handle that." I was surprised at the sudden power and authority ringing through the General's voice, but I didn't question it as the girl curtsied and dropped the cloth into the bucket. She scurried out the door not long after that.

       I cast a sideways look at the wolf. He shrugged. "She's the physician's assistant, and has been checking on North every once in a while."

       I didn't bother saying anything to that and instead brought my gaze back to the King.

       "I will wait in the hall, my lady." Aeyron spoke softly as I stepped further into the room. I shot him a grateful smile before he closed the door, leaving me alone with the sleeping King.

       His room was large with a bed twice as big as mine and a fireplace larger than I was tall. The rug beneath my feet was a blood red that shone proudly against the dark wooden panels lining the walls. The windows set in the wall ran from the floor to the ceiling and offered a brilliant view of the outside snowy world. It was beautiful

       I walked slowly over to the bed. Eirik didn't make a move, despite the frown set on his sleeping face easing slightly. I gave his peaceful body a soft smile before sitting in the stool Vanessa had left. I could just make out the subtle rise and fall of his chest from this distance- and that eased my racing heart. He was okay.

       "I told you it only took once more." I grumbled softly to the sleeping King as I wrung the water from the cloth and eased it over his heated, tan skin. I tried not to let my skin touch his, but the muscle in his arms and torso seemed to move with each gentle sweep of the cloth and made it twice as hard.

       "And I told you I would return to you."

       I jumped as his gruff voice filled the silence around us, even though his bright eyes remained closed. "I-I thought you were sleeping." I practically stuttered when he shifted slightly and let his thick arm hang off the side of the bed.

       "I know."

       A blush rose to my cheeks and I pulled the cloth uncertainly away from his strong chest as he let out a deep breath of air, his eyes still closed. "Don't stop." He made an odd, gruff sound in the back of his throat when I went to put the cloth away- one that only made my blush grow. I rinsed the small towel and went back to slowly stroking his chest and upper arms.

       It was quiet between us for a while. He just laid there silently as I ran the cool cloth over his upper body. I had actually thought he started to fall asleep again, when his voice filled the air once more- the voice that so often plagued my dreams.

       "I almost lost you, again."

       My hand paused, the towel pressing against his chest before I brought it back to the bucket. "You weren't doing so well either." I muttered under my breath, even though I knew he could hear.

       My eyes widened as he let out a sigh and suddenly reached up with his large hand to grip tightly at me wrist. I stared down at his fingers, at the odd tremors shooting through my arm at his touch.

       "Not again, Emrie." He suddenly growled, his strong grip pulling my wrist- and me- off the stool and practically onto the bed. I sat uneasily beside him as he held my palm to his chest.

       "If I told you the same, you would just ignore me." My voice was a soft murmur, a rather depressed one at that. He let out a ragged sigh before letting those bright blue eyes slowly blink open.

       He stared silently at the ceiling for a moment, his palm flat against the back of my hand. I could feel the warmth of his chest, and the steady beating of his heart- so different than the week before. He was okay.

       "I told you I wouldn't be able to handle it if you died."

       "And you think I magically will if you do?" My tone came out harsher than I meant, but it got my point across and he didn't bother arguing over it any longer.

       "I just can't..." He paused and licked his dry lips before finally gazing over at me. "I can't lose you." My gaze locked on his, just like all the other times when our eyes met. I immediately felt like I was floating- swimming in a giant pool of electric blue. My mind seemed to go numb.

       "It's not like we are very close." I heard myself murmur even though my mind was too far gone in that beautiful, entrancing gaze. He blinked, and then was easing my hand up his chest and to his cheek before I could blink.

       His eyes closed, and mine only widened when those full lips of his pressed a soft kiss to my warm palm. "Forgive me, little one." I suddenly wanted to, especially with the tender way he was cradling my hand to his cheek.

       He seemed so gentle right then, so soft and loving it made my heart ache. It was moments like these where that cursed hope tried to slither its way into my chest. I tried not to let it, though. I knew it wouldn't be long before he pulled away from me again.

       "I would like to try and fix that, if you would let me."

       His lightning eyes blinked open once more and gazed over at mine as I sat leaning rather awkwardly over him. My heart pounded in my chest. H-He wanted to be close to me now?

       "But you said I can't be around you-"

       "That does not matter anymore." That voice I so desperately loved was a hoarse murmur in the quiet air around us, one that made flutters erupt in every corner of my stomach.

       "The whole castle pretty much knows who you are. There is no point in trying to keep you a secret any longer."

       I felt my lips pull into a frown as my gaze dropped guiltily to the beds unused blankets. "I- I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to reveal myself or anything. I just saw you on the ground and wasn't thinking straight-"

       "Emrie." His dark voice cut me off mid-rambled apology, and that large hand of his left mine to gently cup my cheek. I raised my gaze and blinked slowly over at him.

       "Do not worry over such trivial matters. It was bound to happen sooner or later."

       I rested my heavy head in his large, warm hand- I couldn't help myself. His touch was so inviting, his gaze so caring right then that it tore at my heart. I never wanted this to end. But then he sighed and glanced away from me, his hand slowly dropping back to my own that I had moved to his chest once again.

       "I just wished I could have kept you hidden until I dealt with him." The statement was more to himself than me, but it still sparked a curiosity deep inside my chest.

       "It's that seer, isn't it? That's the 'he' everyone keeps referring to." I gulped when his gaze suddenly snapped to mine and narrowed, but I tried not to look away as he shifted until his free hand could run down his face.

       "Yes."

       I was fully expecting him not to answer- or to lie at least, so I was a little more than shocked when the confirmation passed his lips. "And he knows who you are now- knows what you mean to me. That alone he can use to his advantage, but he is a greedy, power hungry being and I fear what he will try now that he's seen your power."

       His words caused fear to slowly enter my heart. I knew that man was creepy- knew he didn't have any good intentions hidden behind those yellow eyes. And now he knew I was the King's mate. He had the perfect leverage against him. Even if Eirik didn't truly care for me, holding a mate against another was still detrimental.

       "Why don't you just dispose of him, or something?" I knew the rumors about him and the other wolf-bornes weren't true, but he still wasn't kind to those whose trespass in his territory- much less betray him in anyway.

       His eyes turned hard as they washed over my face. "I will, when the time is right." The tone in voice meant that part of the conversation was over, and I could only nod in defeat. For now.

       "I'll just have to keep more of an eye on you from now on."

       "What?"

       "Yes." His voice slowly began to drop in a sleepy murmur, his beautiful eyes trying not to close in sleepiness. "There is a room down the hall... you will be moving in to." He mumbled as his large body began to roll over, his grip on my hand tightening as he practically dragged me with him. My eyes widened as the action pulled me further onto the bed.

       "We will discuss it more... tomorrow..." He grumbled on a tired yawn, his eyes closing shut as he practically hugged my arm to his chest.

       I was leaning awkwardly over the bed and his large body, my arm trapped to his torso in a grip like iron. It wasn't a comfortable position, but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

       "North...?" I asked softly a few silent moment later. He let out a grunt in response.

       "Who is Emerense?"

        He yawned again and squeezed my arm tighter to him.

       "My star."

-&-

Hope you all enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.8K 1.3K 52
- Book One of the Alpha series - -#734 (June 6, 2017) -#196 (May 12, 2018) -#26 (January 29, 2019) -#10 (July 14, 2020) _ I surrendered my c...
38.2K 2.1K 58
Long ago Riders worked hard to protect the kingdoms of Alenshia, a place filled with magic and power, and keep it well organized. Long ago these Ride...
339K 9.2K 37
COMPLETED **First book in the Powerful But Broken Trilogy** I am Braelynn, the punching bag of my pack. I have been wanting to find my mate to take m...
2.3M 84.5K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...