Rebellion

By Reed-ink

Prolific Author - Dayo Tijani has returned home to Nigeria from the United States, after invoking a one-year... More

Rebellion
Foreword
Prologue
1. Fairy Tale
2. Unlike Poles
3. The Meet
4. Fading Void
5. Collision Course
6. Projection
7. Accidentally On Purpose
8. Pillowtalk
9. Catastrophizing
10. Two To Tango
11. Date Protocol
12. Triggers
13. Blunt Adhesion
14. The Easy Part
16. The Plunge
17. Paradise
18. Monument Point
19. Clean Slate
20. Blank Space
21. Deuce
22. Faith in Fate
23. Old Flame
24. Heart Strings
25. Rebels
Epilogue
Author's Note
Project '18
Lake County
Black Rose
Resurgence
Revolt
The Gentleman's Guide To Wooing A Lady
Black Rose
Tinted Scars
Update Your Library
musings of a jaded poet
Singing Tendrils

15. Black Mirror

1.4K 194 48
By Reed-ink

Repulsion or attraction in a relationship isn't necessarily ascertained by a formulaic theory. No, its determined by the nature of the two individuals in the relationship. While couple A might be intrigued about the fact that they're polar opposites, couple B might not. So is the art of the social life.” – T.J. Martins.

•••

“If you would please have your seat, she’d be down in a couple of minutes.”

The Ebony-skinned female in the living room gestured towards a couch on the sofa, ushering him to have a seat while he waited for Tiolu. The day of their date had eventually come and as promised, he had not only shown up at her apartment but had also planned the entire evening out. The whole thing ignited anxiety within him, and from his skin – sprouted Goosebumps. Yes, he was that nervous because he was the one in charge of making the day a great day.

Now, he understood how it felt to be in the driver’s seat of the vehicle of a romantic relationship. It was different from their first date by a big margin because they had both planned it together, this time – it was all him and him only.

“I mean she’d be ‘done’ in a few minutes.” The beauty before him corrected herself, a tad bit of anxiety also evident in her voice as she sunk into the couch facing his. As his gaze skimmed hers, he couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she was. The last time he was here, his mind was so fixated on the pending destructive night with Tiolu that he had failed to take cognizance of the gem before him.

But she was beautiful.

Not in the – ‘may I please have your attention’ way in which Tiolu was, but in a subtle, inconspicuous way that couldn’t be exactly noticed upon first glance. Closer inspection was essential. The nervousness it would seem was in the atmosphere, and he wasn’t the only one in possession of it. Anjola, yes he remembered her name now – seemed to be in no mood to engage him in chit-chat and he surmised that her personality was definitely not the same as his girl-friend.

Tiolu couldn’t sit down a few inches from a familiar face and not attempt some sort of conversation. And while that action might help in easing the tension, it also had the potential for destruction if the initiator wasn’t an expert in the social arts. Someone like him wouldn’t try such thing, so he figured Anjola was probably like him also. So, since she wasn’t inclined to engage him in small talk then he figured it’d be best if they both waited in silence.

He tore his gaze from hers, and let it linger around the room. It was tidy and neat enough. The living room had a simple setting. On both sides of the room – there were two couches each, with two throw-pillows and on the South-wards bearing was the biggest couch with three pillows. Facing the big couch was the humongous LCD TV and behind the couch – he couldn’t exactly state definitely due to his vision proximity, but he was able to discern that the structure in place was something hearkening to a coffee machine.

Oh, Coffee.

He could infer the habitants of the apartment were frequent consumers like he was, in fact he had been meaning to get a coffee machine but the thing had kept on skipping his mind. The walls were covered with florist wallpapers, which complemented the purple and white colors of the chairs and the curtains. In the center of the room was a glass table, serving as a home to a large bowl of fruit. Looking through the translucent pitcher, he could state that Bananas, Apples and Oranges were the dominant items in the bowl.

Where is she?

He exhaled sharply once more as his gaze fell to his wrist to glance at his wrist-watch. He had been on seat for only three minutes and yet for some reason it felt like eternity. His – overzealousness and unstable nature were traits attributed to situations and activities In which he wanted to get over with quickly.

He wanted to get the night over with?

He wondered why he wasn’t thrilled like he was on their first and second date, and then again he remembered that his fear must be owing majorly to the fact that he was taking full control of their fun tonight and that it would be his fault if something went wrong. That was it right, he asked himself. Surely, there couldn’t be any other reason.

Hey, so sorry for keeping you waiting.” The sound of Tiolu’s voice caused the vanishing of tension and instant immersion of ease, as both room occupants looked up at her in relief. “I found out that the gown I originally planned on wearing had a big conspicuous stain on its back. How it got there in the first place, totally beats me.”

Dayo smiled in sheer amusement, as he rose to his feet and engulfed her in a brief intimate embrace before she planted a light kiss on his left cheek.

“What a pity,” He remarked. “That gown just lost the opportunity of a life-time. It won’t be going out with us on your body and therefore it’s going to miss out on a truck-load of fun.”

His quip caused the two females in the room to chuckle softly, before he and Tiolu proceeded to venturing out of the room.

“I’d lock the apartment, so remember to take your key-card. Oh, and also the express elevator isn’t functional anymore, so if I were you I wouldn’t waste my time using it.” He heard Anjola whisper gently behind him to Tiolu as he led the way. “Keep your eyes open, okay? It was just last evening when Mrs. Ali got robbed, right in the receptive lounge–”

“For goodness sake, Anjie I’m not a sixteen year old going out on her first date.” Tiolu snarled, as she stared blankly at her friend through the door’s arch-way. “I can take care of myself, okay? You seem to forget that there was a time I left this house at 10:P.M. and returned at midnight or sometimes early in the morning.”

Anjola smiled, her hand on the door knob. “Well, glory be to God – those days are gone and now I can pamper the brand new Tiolu. Have fun okay, I know you’re in safe hands.” She concluded with a wink at Dayo before slamming the door close.

“Don’t mind her, she is not really excited because I’m going out.” Tiolu smiled, motioning towards the elevator and ushering him in. “She is just happy she gets to have the whole apartment to herself.”

Really?” Dayo said, an ounce of feigned surprise in his voice. “Now, why would anyone want company like you to be away from them? She must have suffered a really hard blow to the head.”

Tiolu could only giggle, as they walked into the elevator. “I don’t blame her, really. After all there is nothing like a company like mine? Sometimes, I wish even I could get a break from myself.”

“Okay, then. It wasn’t a hard blow to the head. It’s a communicable disease.” He clarified as the doors of the elevator shut close and their descent began. “One which feasts on the brain of its host and makes them think – such things as breaks from themselves is possible. Makes them susceptible to thinking they could leave their body and perhaps become a part of something greater, like HIVE did in Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E

Fine, It’s okay.” Tiolu cried amidst intense laughter, and elbowed him gently on his right rib. “I get it really, my joke was silly. I won’t make such from now – henceforth. So, how are you? How was your day?”

“Nothing much.” He shrugged, as the doors of the elevator opened – signaling for them to walk out. “Just sat down at my desk all day – to do everything I usually do. Read manuscripts, go through administrative figures, scout for new talent on the rise by surfing the web, oh and finally but most importantly – I thought.”

“You thought?” Her nose scrunched, as they made their way out of the guest lounge.

Yeah, I thought.” Dayo smiled. He knew it would sound absurd to an average person, and it did sound absurd to Tiolu. It was why he brought it up, anyway. “The thinking faculties is a very crucial part of any writer’s brain. Once you find it difficult to conjure all sorts of make believe stuff in your head, then it means you’re close to your saturation point. I don’t really believe such thing exist, because I know my brain would still be functional even after writing over a hundred novels. I mean look at Enid Blyton. But getting exhausted over a particular story line is possible, though.”

Tiolu’s stare held admiration and awe. “That’s all very fascinating, Dayo. I know at this point, you might be tired of hearing it, but once again I just wish I had something like you do with writing that means the world to me. So that’s all? Nothing else happened?”

“Oh, yeah something did happen that livened the atmosphere. A fresh supplies of books came in for the book-store on the base floor of HQ.” His words ceased as they arrived by his car outside – parked just a few meters from the gate of her apartment building. He latched unto the door knob and held the door open for her before striding over to the other side to get in himself.

After hitting the ignition button, the engine revved up and so did his speech again.

“So you’re probably wondering how that livened the atmosphere? Well, for some reason – the supplies were in excess and so there was a fuss trying to unload the contents of the truck into the building. I had to step in to organize the whole thing and I also had to call In quite a number of stuff. We had to erect new shelves, create new space for the excess books because they can’t be returned, so I think that’s where the fun stemmed from. The conversation, bellows, grunts and complaints the activity brought was quite immersive. I know you might be wondering in your mind that I am pathetic to think such thing is fun, but you might want to keep in mind that we’re talking about a publishing house here. That’s as much fun as it can get.”

Once again, she did nothing asides smiling as he studied her. Not just her face, but her entire frame. She donned a champagne-colored double-breasted jacket which ended just above her knees. The attire was quite short in length, and he figured it was the type a trousers was worn with but for some reason Tiolu hadn’t put on trousers and because of that – a great measure of her thighs were exposed while she sat. It took great control not to reach out to her laps and run his hands through them.

Focus, Dayo. Focus.

He couldn’t exactly remember a time in his life when his mind was plagued by such erotic thoughts. He was willing to admit he had had romantic and sexually oriented thoughts towards women in the past but it didn’t surface at the fore of his mind or become so conscious like they had presently. To be sincere, when Tiolu had made the sexual advancement on him – a huge part of him had wanted it. Logic had almost departed from him totally, and his mind was totally flooded by pleasure and desire. It had taken great restraint to withdraw and pull away. Even till now, a part of him wished they had gone through with the whole thing.

What’s happening to me?

He couldn’t understand why he was changing so much in the past few days. A huge proportion of his personality might not have been altered, but little and meager aspects were prone to change already and that was all it took. Little changes here and there, before he became a totally new person. No, nothing was going to change about him. He was still the same old – Dayo Tijani.

“So, how was your own day?” He asked finally, as the sound of his engine crackled the serene air – whilst venturing out of the estate and into the main road.

“Nothing new, pretty much regular.” She replied with another smile. “Although a lot of folk complained about my loose-mindedness today.”

“Loose-mindedness?”

“Yeah, I was lost in thought. Mostly in anticipation of tonight’s date and a little stemming from the fact that my bed-room wasn’t so – tidy when I left it behind. Anjola really gets all worked up and annoyed when it’s that way. But in my defense, if – WO wasn’t blasting from the floor beneath continuously, then maybe I’d have slept early and also got up early to clean up. That song is just too – groovy. Damn, I didn’t know when I got up from my bed to dance. Now that I think of it, it’s because I was dancing that’s why the room became disorganized in the first place.”

Dayo grinned, his grip on the steering – firm. “And that’s how we end up talking about the night before – which is yesterday, when all I did was ask about today. There is really nothing wrong about that, you know. Of course I don’t mind hearing you speak the same words and story, you did on the phone – yesterday night.”

“You’re silly.” She chuckled softly and poked him with her index finger on his right rib. “So Mr. Take Charge? Where are we heading to for dinner? Now, I must say I loved where we agreed upon on our first outing but going to that sort of place twice isn’t really a thing I’d enjoy, to be honest. I love class, and if I were to visit a place twice then it has to be–”

“You don’t need to lay a speech on me, Tiolu. I know what I’m doing.” He almost grunted at her, as his eyes shot to the mirror ahead. “We’re not going out to a restaurant, tonight. I have something bigger in mind. And where we would be eating later on, wouldn’t be either of the places you’ve mentioned.”

“Oh,” Her eyes widened in comprehension and she swallowed. “Your house, then?”

“No, don’t worry about it.” Dayo assured in a soothing tone. “Leave the worrying and thinking to me. Tonight, just have a great time. I’m pretty sure you would though. I put more thought and planning into it than you think.”

His words seemed to strike the right cords, because her expression became a solemn one.

“I’m sorry Dayo, If I sounded overbearing or insinuated that tonight wasn’t in good control in your hands. It was too forward of me. I guess, I just wanted to make a few things clear to you that I thought you didn’t know already.”

“It’s nothing.” He shrugged. “You’re allowed to be critical also, okay. I’m like that most of the time.”

“Okay,” She nodded satisfactorily. “So could I at least get a hint to tonight’s date? Grandmaster?”

Hahaha.

“I don’t want to reveal much.” A smile stretched his lips apart. “But you should know one thing. It ain’t gonna be a serene atmosphere or some other trait likened to the type of person I am. It’s gonna be more of you. And the type of fun would be a raw one, also.”

She sat up, casting a furtive glance on him. “Wow, I–I don’t know what to say. I mean, you went out of your way to plan something you’d be uncomfortable with just to make me happy?”

Oh, I wish that were the case.

“As much as I would love to say yes to that, I can’t.” His dimple bulged out from his right cheek. “I said it has an atmosphere that I don’t deem conducive for myself. It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it’s offerings.”

“Just to clarify,” She continued. “We’re not going to a clu–”

“We’re not going to a club.” He cut in before she could finish. “Kill your curiosity for now and just see what’s in store, alright?”

She didn’t give a verbal response, all she did was heave a sigh. He didn’t exactly know if it was one of relief or disappointment.

*****

“Wow, Dayo I really don’t know what to say.”

“You could start by saying it’s awesome.”

“Oh, that’s an understatement.” She exclaimed, suspended in absolute awe of their environment. They were currently in a desolated alley, well not so desolated anymore since there were a handful of people like them there. A podium was erected in the center of the field, and the stage was occupied by a band of white people undertaking audio tests and a performance prep. On the left-hand side of the field – was a drink counter manned by three bar-men, all males.

She was shocked such place existed.

Now, she understood what he meant earlier by saying the atmosphere wasn’t exactly conducive for him. It was a wild one. The type found in parties and clubs. In fact, glancing around at the type of people present – she could infer they were people like her, judging by their outfits. Most of the females were clad in revealing outfits, same went for the men in vests and armless tops. Dayo was the only one present whose clothing covered most of his body.

“How did you find this place?” She enquired, as they joined the dispersed audience upfront. “It’s too good to be true. It’s so unexposed and secluded, and it’s offerings seem really inviting. What’s the name of the band performing? And how did you know I love rock and roll anyway?”

“Hey, slow down with the questions.” Dayo chuckled well-naturedly, patting her left arm which was linked in his. “One at a time, okay? Now, how did I find this place? Well, technically this place doesn’t even exist. I brought about the whole thing. The band performing, getting word out to the people present here – it was all my doing. Don’t ask me how I did it, because I don’t know how I did it either. All I did was ring some friends up and dispensed my money of course.”

Wow.

To say she was thrilled or ecstatic by his reason was an understatement. He had indeed gone through a lot to give her a good date, in fact he was the reason why everyone else was here – except that they didn’t know and he didn’t care. He mentioned the bit of not partaking in its organization to belittle his effort, but whether he dropped only money – the thought of the whole thing wasn’t a trifle thing.

It was the thought that mattered.

“Now before you explode in joy and declare how I’m the best boy-friend in the world – FYI, I know that bit but let me finish my explanation first. Now, the music is nothing much. This particular band happens to owe me a favor. You see I’ve written a song for them previously in the past, but they weren’t really forthcoming with the payments. So when I tell them they could forget all about it if they flew all the way here to Lagos, they took me up on the offer. In fact, the particular song is one they’d be performing tonight.”

Wow.” Was all she managed.

“Yup, and their name – I don’t think I can remember that but I know it has Apex in it. And rock and roll? Well, no one said that’s what you’d be getting tonight. But classical music? Have you forgotten that we talked about that on our first date? When you expressed your profound love for songs with lyrical depth? I may not be the most devoted person in a relationship, but what I don’t do is forget things. I won’t say I have an eidetic memory, though. But I remember the things that matter.”

For the next few moments, she didn’t utter a word. All she could do was – live. Live in the moment. She knew their relationship was far from evolving past the debate and repulsion phase, but this was one of the moments to cherish. Perhaps, if it eventually turned sour and fell out – this night was something she could hold on to as one of the greatest parts of it. That was if it didn’t go south. Their relationship had a nag of pummeling down a cliff, when things were looking up and seemed promising.

She could only hope such thing didn’t happen tonight.

“Dayo, could you promise me one thing?” She said abruptly, whilst tugging gently at his arm and peering up at him with affection. “Promise me tonight won’t go to waste.”

His brows furrowed. “I don’t understand–”

“Promise me you won’t deviate from this path, even if its just this night. Just please, go along with everything here. Even if it’s appalling for you. Just this once.”

His throat bobbed upwards and he swallowed. “Of course, I would. You don’t think I put in this much effort, so it could eventually crap out.”

“Except that you do it unconsciously.” She cut in. “It’s not like you set your mind to doing it, but at the same time you’re very aware you’re being cynical while doing it. Just let that part of you go recessive for today.”

Another slate of silence preceded his reply, and she knew such action connoted contemplation. She just couldn’t help but wonder why it was so difficult for him to compromise when needed. She had adjusted her personality on sexuality without having second thoughts, because she felt he was that important but whenever it came to his turn – the task always seemed insurmountable or overbearing for him.

What do you expect, he is not in love with you.

Was that it? Was her devotion not reciprocated simply because he wasn’t in love with her? No, that seemed too over the top. She knew a man didn’t have to be in love to reciprocate a certain level of devotion into a relationship. The devotion only increased as the feelings got more intense. That was it.

Right?

It sucked so much. She didn’t exactly know how bad unrequited love was when she read such scenarios in literature and saw it on TV, but now that she was experiencing it first-hand – she knew how big the void was. The feeling was deteriorating. It might not exert a dazing amount of pain all at once, but the pain it rendered momentarily would eventually pile up to reach a dazing amount at some point.

She wondered if she was always going to be this expectant and unsatisfied all through the relationship.

“Tiolu,” He began finally. “I have no intention whatsoever to ruin tonight for you. You seem to be forgetting that if it gets ruined for you, then it’s also going to get ruined for me. So, it’s definitely not something I enjoy doing if that’s the way you think it is. But I can assure you I’d be on my best behavior tonight, after all I brought you to this place didn’t i? It’s not like I didn’t know what I’d be getting myself into.”

His words made total sense, but the reason why it didn’t provide instant comfort was baffling.

Fine, I’m down with that.” She nodded satisfactorily and transferred her attention to the band on the podium – which was set to perform. The dispersed population had began to rush into the center already to take positions where they’d be able to enjoy the performance. All of a sudden, the collective low temperature began to dissipate as a result of jumbled and clumped bodies.

She wished she had worn something lighter.

Looking up at Dayo, she could sense he was even more uncomfortable due to his heavy clothing.

“You, okay?”

He laughed gently. “You might not know this but I wasn’t rich all my life. So heat? Oh, heat is my dear friend. No amount of time overseas is going to make me weak or uncomfortable in a hot weather. So, I’m not just okay – I’m great.”

She couldn’t help but chuckle once more as she returned her gaze to the podium upfront. The band was set to commence any moment. The collective chatter went recessive before zoning out eventually as the melody of the orchestra came on.

It was going to be a long night.

Mama, told me reach for the stars…
Said son, you’re a shooting star ahead…

“This the one you wrote?”

“Yup.” He nodded subtly.

Papa’s drunken, always at bars…
Never logical, was a shame and disgrace as our head…

“Literal meaning?”

“Not really.” He shook his head. “Subtle, coupled with a bunch of exaggerations.”

On top of that cliff, I’d climb, I’d reach…
Fought for my own fight, not a skill I’d teach…

“Your story?”

“Kinda, yeah.”

And I know bad blood wasn’t a trait of a hero…
The numbers of the lives I saved, still standing at – zero…

“Dark-themed.”

“Not really, like I said earlier – exaggerations.”

And now I’m Darth Vader…
As ruthless as Jupiter…
Merciful as a monster…

“Okay, now I’m lost.”

He chuckled gently, looking down at her as he did so. “Are you one of those people who can’t enjoy the mystery of a song? And must decipher its meaning?”

“No, I’m one of those people who can’t keep quiet while in the company of the brain behind the song.” She retorted in a comical tone. “Especially when he is hot as fuck and he got every female in the house looking at him. And I have to prove that he is my boy-friend and not my relative or something.”

“It’s amazing the way you can alter the course of any serious conversation into a flirty themed one.” Dayo beamed, his gaze returning to the band performing. “This might sound like an insult, but you would make a great bartender. Or a sales rep, and any other profession that requires flirting.”

“And for some reason you think being a pharmacist doesn’t call for flirting, also?”

Really.” His brows rose up.

I hear those haunted howls…
They filled up my hunted house…

“Of course, you don’t expect me to think that the majority of people who fall ill and consume drugs are mainly men.” He continued. “Now that you’ve said it and I think of it, it’s actually true. I can’t remember the last time that I met a female medical personnel who wasn’t immensely gorgeous.”

Flatterer.” She shoved him lightly.

They’re not of eagles, only fowls…
They’re not of evil, still loud…

“Wanna explain it’s meaning now?” She repeated her previous enquiry, and locked gazes with him once more. She didn’t know why it was so important to her to understand the meaning behind the lyrical barricade. Perhaps, it was a bid to get closer to his reserved person. Get a glimpse of the – Dayo Tijani very few people had seen or that no one had seen at all.

It was her ploy to make him sacrifice for her. The sort of thing love called for.

Ridiculous.

Now, it hit her square in the face. No matter how subtle or inconspicuous it might seem, her current action motive was to make him fall in love with her.

Didn’t try to loosen the chains, on my way back…
Piled it on, wrung it round myself – like a rack…

“Well, it’s pretty clear sort-off.” He cleared his throat, as his arm in hers tightened. She could sense he had ventured on vulnerable tides. “Back then I had a lot of stuff to contend with. My mom told me to reach for the stars yeah, but not in literature though – it was in school work. So in literature, she wasn’t actually supportive. That’s the lie in that statement. My dad was never a drunkard or a shame or disgrace rather, I just turned the whole thing on its head. So the next line is talking about me fighting to the top and how I would never teach the skill to anyone. Once again, the total opposite of what I want.

I want to help people, teach them the skill, help in bringing them up to the top also, you know. And then the bridge comes in where I proclaim myself as Darth Vader, Jupiter and every other ruthless being in existence. But truly, the last thing I want is to be like such people. The one thing I want – is to be the exact opposite of such people.”

Wow.

“That’s really deep, Dayo.” Tiolu replied as the words dawned greatly on her.

And I know Bad Blood wasn’t a trait of a hero…
The numbers of lives I saved, still standing at – zero…

“The title of the song is ‘inverse’.” He continued, the volume of his voice lowering. “In mathematics, inverse kind-off means the opposite. So you get the entire feel. I didn’t want to use something obvious. All in all, the song portrays my fear of becoming someone I’m not. Changing into something I’m not originally. Or having to adapt to a situation that changes my person absolutely. It’s the thing I fear most, because I love my present self the way it is. I don’t want to lose myself.”

It took great control for Tiolu not to fall to the floor in shock, upon hearing his words. She got the hang of the entire thing. He didn’t want to change, and he didn’t want to change so bad. So what the hell was she trying to do in her attempt to make him compromise for their relationship, when he wasn’t ready to. To make him more devoted, when he was originally lazy or the most frightening of all – to make him fall in love, when he wasn’t in love or wasn’t capable of such feeling.

Oh, God. What have I gotten myself into?

“Are you okay?” His voice was totally void of comprehension of the present moment. Of course, he didn’t know the gravity of the entire situation, he didn’t know that he had indirectly spoken that his greatest fear was becoming something she was capable of turning him to or that his greatest failure in life literally meant the same thing as success in their relationship.

“Yeah, sure why not.” But she wasn’t. She was far from okay. She couldn’t think straight, she needed something to put her out of her current misery once and for all. In situations like the current one, only one thing was capable of exerting such effect on her, only one thing was capable of making her forget totally about her worries and she knew exactly what it was.

Alcohol.

“I’d be back.” She muttered in a hushed tone, before breaking his grip on her and whirling around – heading for the drink stand. She could hear his voice clearly calling out for her behind, but she refused to pay attention to it. She needed an escape from the daunting reality of his words and her thoughts, and the pending action was the only thing that could provide such escape.

Now, look me in the eye – fiery-eyed monster…
As I became your prey – the teary-eyed inverse…

*****

What the hell went wrong?

He thought the night was proceeding smoothly, without disruptions, void of debates and arguments. She seemed to be in a great mood, jeering him up, being suspended in the nature of their surroundings but now?

Now, she had vanished into thin air.

How did such action portray that she was enjoying the night? The band’s performance had ended a couple of minutes ago, and it was time for a conversation to kick-off. Most of the population present were couples, and the atmosphere was getting all – ‘lovey-dovey’, so he didn’t understand why she had to take off at such crucial moment of the date.

He had stood still on the same spot, she had left him – waiting for her impatiently but after the expiration of twenty minutes – he had stopped waiting and had commenced pacing to and fro. What didn’t occur to him however was the fact that she could be at the drink counter, like a ton of other people were. Such thing didn’t occur to him because he wasn’t an alcoholic.

That had to be it.

Exhaling, he stalked towards the drink stand – brushing and maneuvering through a couple of people, before he could eventually arrive at the scene. As expected, she was there sipping on a glass of champagne but what wasn’t expected was her company. Yeah, she was in company of someone else.

Another man.

The picture irritated him, and he found his fists clenching involuntarily. What the hell was she doing? Surely, she knew such action was inappropriate. How could she be flirting with another person while on a date with him? Hell, she wasn’t even supposed to be flirting with anyone in the first place. It was all wrong. The dude in question was quite tall, height range definitely 6’2-6’4. Had well-squared shoulders, and a chest that was bulging out of his slim-fit shirt. His sleeves were folded up, and his last two buttons were undone – baring his chest. Oh, and yes – had a beard also. A well-trimmed one.

What the hell was going on?

He couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable at the entire scene. The man seemed to be in possession of every desirable quality he was lacking in; and also judging by the smug smile on his face – Dayo could sense he was a playboy. The sweet talking type that was a master in the arts of – cheesiness. And for some reason, Tiolu seemed to be enjoying his company exceedingly.

Her eyes lit up in awe, and every now and then she would let out a reverbing laugh. The distance between their bodies did nothing to put his mind at ease either, they were only a few inches from being encased in an embrace.

Oh, God.

Should he leave? He knew he should probably walk up to the duo and break whatever they were having but still, he felt like he was in no position to. After all, no matter how intimate the whole thing looked, they were still having a normal conversation. He didn’t want to be overbearing and bossy. No, he loved his space and if he was reserved and apathetic about their relationship then it didn’t make sense for him to demand more devotion from her. No, it was a hypocritical action.

Still, he wasn’t in any way comfortable with the current situation. Exhaling, he approached the duo – deciding to break up whatever was going on. He thought of what she would do in a similar position and he knew she was definitely not going to walk away and pretend it was alright.

Hey, I’ve been looking around for you.” He declared in a loud volume, paying no attention to her company and fixating his gaze on her totality. “What’s wrong, why are you here?”

For the first time, he found it impossible to read the emotion in her eyes. Was it hurt, disappointment, fury or regret. He couldn’t tell, but whatever it was – it wasn’t a positive emotion.

“Why would you care,” She drawled lazily, before breaking their locked gaze and returning it to the man before her. He could sense that she was definitely taking alcohol, but he was able to infer she wasn’t drunk yet – judging by her sitting posture and monotone. The alcohol was taking a toll definitely, but she was still in her very sane mind.

So, she had meant those words.

“Could we please go somewhere private, to talk?” He swallowed.

“No, we don’t need to go anywhere. You were just leaving right? Folu?”

Fola,” The built male corrected, obviously appalled by her inability to pronounce his name correctly. From the state of things, he could sense he was wrong to think there was a spark between them earlier. She had simply kept Fola around for company, nothing more. But why she decided to seek company someplace else was curious.

“What’s wrong with you?” He enquired, as he slid into the stool next to her by the counter.

Her free right palm cradled her forehead. “I’m having a slight headache, forget what I said earlier. I didn’t mean it. I just want a break.”

“A break?” He echoed her words. “We should leave then.”

“No, not a break in that sense.” She shook her head, vehemently. “A break from reasoning and logic, you know. A break from our worries and the daunting realities. An immersion into a state where all we have to do is live in the moment.”

“Oh, I see.” He nodded. “And how exactly do you suggest we do such thing?”

To his dismay, and greatest fear – she asked him to do the one thing he knew was a looming possibility.

“Join me,” She reached out for an empty glass from the glass rack. “Let’s get drunk.”

Urgh!

He bit his lower lip, and edged closer to her. “I can’t, Tiolu. One of us has to remain sober, to drive the car back home, remember? I can’t drink, I’m sorry.”

“Oh, you’re such a baby.” She grunted, hurling the empty glass to the floor – causing it to shatter in its wake. From her comport, he could sense that the alcohol was gradually taking over her senses. “I’m a master of my own liquor. Don’t worry, I’d drive. It’s not something I haven’t done before. Driving after drinking isn’t as deadly as the road safety folk paint it to be, believe me. C’mon.”

He didn’t know if he was more scared of the fact that she had driven multiple times in the past after drinking or the fact that she was offering to do it now.

“I can’t drink now, Tiolu. I’m sorry, you have to understand–”

“You promised not to be yourself for today!” She bellowed suddenly, springing up from her seat. “You promised you’d do anything to make tonight great and without blemish, but it’s just so hard to change yourself isn’t it? It’s just so hard for you!”

Dayo sighed, getting up from his seat also and dipping his hands into the pockets of his overcoat jacket. “I know I might seem like a jerk, but I just can’t. I can’t drive after drinking or let you do such thing either. Asides from that action being a reckless one, it’s also very selfish of you. What if we have an accident along the line and someone else gets hurt in the process?”

Her lower jaw fell open, and her gaze held horror. He could sense the words that were going to tumble out next wouldn’t exactly be pleasant ones.

“Oh, now I’m not just reckless but I’m selfish too and I have the potential for committing murder!”

“That’s not what I meant–”

“Then what do you mean, huh? Tell me!”

Once again, he couldn’t exactly justify her enquiry with a reply because her inference was spot on. Of course he thought she was reckless and selfish. Why else would she drive after drinking?

“Tiolu, we should leave here–”

“Answer the damn question, Dayo!”

Her fists were clenched and her body was quivering in fury. He had never seen her so angry before.

What had he gotten himself into?

Of course, he knew this entire scene had the potential for disaster but still he had decided to make an effort in testing their strength in such place. And the truth was that, he still couldn’t figure out where he went wrong. He had indeed done his best in making sure tonight was great. He hadn’t being cynical, critical but yet it seemed like there was nothing either of them could do that would keep conflict at bay.

“I’m sorry, for saying that.” He began, unsure of his destination. “I’m really, sorry. But you have to see reason with me, here. I just can’t allow that to happen. I’m sorry I can’t drink with you. I have to stay clear-headed here, you have to understand.”

Her anger seemed to subside. “So, you’re telling me that if this was during the day and none of us had to drive, you’d be willing to get wasted with me?”

“Sure, why not.”

Willing? As in happy to do so. Not out of obligation. You’d be happy to abandon being logical and sensible, just to enjoy being reckless with me? Say the truth, Dayo. I’m not in the mood for games.”

A bout of silence preceded his reply. Of course, he wouldn’t be happy to abandon logic and to descend into anarchy? That was against every single one of his upheld principles. But he couldn’t exactly tell her that. He needed to tread carefully.

No, I wouldn’t be. But I’m sure with time I’d get the hang of it. You don’t expect me to like something I’m appalled at on a regular day–”

“So, you’re appalled at the type of person I am?”

“No, I mean – uninclined. Yeah, that’s the word. But I don’t think its my feeling of enjoying the action that matters, no. I think it’s the willingness to be able to compromise. Someone once told me, relationships are all about compromises. To keep one going, you’re going to find yourself doing things you’re comfortable and uncomfortable with but it’s the thought and the will that matters. The zeal to be able to keep on fighting. Maybe with time I could come around to liking it, but for now it’s my readiness to undertake such action that matters. So, please don’t hold this against me.”

Her shoulders slumped, and her head lowered in sobriety. It would seem she had given in to his words, and he took her current action as a cue to embrace her. Wasting no time, he strode over and drew her in for a tight hug. She melted into his arms instantly, and snaked her hands through his waist. He cradled her head gently, while she shook gently in the embrace.

It was that moment he knew she was crying.

“I’m sorry, Tiolu. I’m really sorry.”

And from that moment henceforth, none of them uttered a word to each other. They simply basked their selves in the essence of the moment and savored it, just like she had suggested earlier. And just like her he knew – that the battle for the success of their relationship was far from won.

Dark days were definitely ahead.

---------------------------------------

Phew, that was quite an eye-opener wasn’t it? The realization of the fact that the battle is far from being won.

I hope putting up a quote written by myself at the beginning of the chapter doesn’t make me come off as cocky. I just couldn’t think of any quote i’ve read anywhere that reflects the vice of this chapter, as mine does.

So, fifteen chapters down huh? Yup, there are only ten more to go. Whoa, yeah i said it! Rebellion: Opposites do Repel would end in its 25th chapter. But there is so much that’s going to happen before that comes around. The battle just got more intense, remember? Phase 2 ends in the next four updates, before the third and final phase – consisting of six chapters kick off. It would be holding a different theme to this one. I feel like i’m revealing too much, so i’m gonna let you witness how its all going to play out.

Black Mirror? What do you think it means, haha! In this chapter its revealed that Dayo’s greatest fear is to become the opposite of what he is currently (His inverse). And since mirrors show us a reflection of ourselves, its only sensible that an inverse mirror – a Black mirror would display the exact opposite of what we look like. What we are. You get, right?

Quick character poll, who has been your favorite character in the lead duo?

Who has been your favorite asides from Dayo and Tiolu?

Don’t forget to tap that star and to drop a comment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 8.8K 86
Book #2 - 'Nothing But The Truth' is now up on my profile ************************************************************************ She lied to her fa...
22K 4.5K 57
SEQUEL TO 30 DAYS DEAL A group of billionaire teenagers find their lives intertwined in a tapestry of wealth, privilege, and heartache. For this eli...
10.6K 1.5K 55
Lolita Badmus has spent fifteen years in a foreign land with her family, but her perfectly planned life fell apart when she discovered her work permi...
27.9K 3.4K 38
Tari Ibiyemi and Lani Olaere were highschool sweethearts. The embodiment of the term, 'Young Love' that adored one another unconditionally until Tari...