Crave ✔

By Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2017 *Completed* Highest rankings: #6 in Werewolf #1 in Wolves #3 in Featured He was said... More

Preface
Name Pronunciations
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43

Chapter 14

388K 15.2K 4.1K
By Daydream1011

Hey guys! 

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any editing and grammar mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 14

       Aeyron let out a dark chuckle beside me. "Don't look so nervous, Lady Emrie. They won't bite."

       They were wolf-bornes, Generals at that- I was beyond positive they would bite if they needed to. But I didn't bother voicing my thoughts, I was too nervous to speak anyway. I knew none of them would hurt me. The King wouldn't allow that to happen, but the brief glance I had of the Generals from the day before was enough to terrify the whole Lower Kingdom.

       And Terif had made it perfectly clear how his kind viewed Underlings. What would they say? Were they all as blunt as the King's Delta?

       "If this is truly too much for you I will tell the King you are not feeling well." The large wolf at my side spoke softly, calmly, like he could visibly see the inner turmoil raging through me. No, they weren't all as blunt as Terif. Aeyron was very sweet, and very kind.

       "No, no I'm okay." I tried to give the male at my side a reassuring smile, but the worried frown on his lips did not ease. He took a deep breath and glanced away.

       "I have told him throwing you into our culture so soon is not a good idea, but he is convinced you will be able to handle it."

       "And you are not?" I asked softly as the General led me down the grand hall and towards the large set of marble stairs sitting beautifully at the entrance of the castle. I glanced slowly around. I hadn't been to this part of the castle yet, but it was just as beautiful as the rest of the palace.

       "I think..." He paused and licked his lips before stopping at the top of the porcelain white stairs. He turned to me with dark brown eyes glowing in the dim light. "I think you would be able to adapt to anything you wanted to, but that does not mean it won't take time." He gave me a crooked smile before stepping down onto the stairs and holding out his hand.

       I gave him a thankful smile of my own and placed my palm in his as he helped me carefully down the stairs. The deep green dress I wore was so different and lighter than my usual wardrobe, but that didn't mean it wasn't hard to walk in.

       "Sometimes it's better to be thrown into water when learning how to swim than taking hours wading in the shallows." It was an odd saying, but one the Elders and teachers of our village would use frequently. Aeyron let go of my hand at the base of the stairs and turned for the hall off to the side with a scoff.

       "And sometimes you drown."

       We stayed quiet after that, although the rest of the walk was relatively short. In all honesty, I had no idea how fast I would be able to take in their culture- or if I would at all. Everything was so different, so unique, it made me truly feel like my village was a thousand years their inferior. Or maybe that was just the confidence and authority they all seemed to radiate.

       I let out a shaky breath when Aeyron pulled to a stop in front of a large wooden door not too far from the marble stairwell, my fists shaking nervously at my side. I was officially going to meet all six of the King of the North's Generals. No shifter at the base of the mountain or Lower Kingdom would ever find themselves in this position- and live to talk about it that is.

       "This is your last chance, my lady. I can escort you back to your room if you would like." The Second in Command spoke softly, I assume so the others on the other side wouldn't hear. I gave him a grateful smile.

       "Thank you, but I would rather just get it over with."

       He stared down at me a moment more before nodding and giving me a smile of approval. He didn't bother knocking like last time, and instead just opened and held the door for me. Like the day before the loud, deep, male voices filling the hall instantly quieted as I stepped into the large room, one long table resting in the center. I was starting to suspect all rooms in the castle held such tables.

       "Emrie, thank you for joining us." The King's voice was like a bolt of lightning straight to my heart, and despite the automatic pull I felt towards him- he was little distraction from the inhuman eyes staring straight at me. My eyes flickered briefly to his bright blues as he slowly stood from the chair at the head of the table.

       A flash of gold caught my vision and I paused as my gaze landed on Terif. I was surprised at the relieved sigh that left my lips. He appeared perfectly fine, the emotionless but rather grumpy mask over his face, but fine nonetheless. A heavy weight suddenly lifted from my chest.

       As soon as the King stood tall on his feet, the large wolf-bornes surrounding the table did as well. My eyes widened at the sight, at the view of five very large, very strange men standing side by side. I tried not to make it too obvious that I was easing closer towards Aeyron.

       I watched with wide, nervous eyes as Eirik walked slowly towards us, his beautiful gaze flashing brightly against the light of the room. My heart nearly died when he paused in front of us and held his large hand out to me, a small smile trying to pull at his lips.

       My body moved on its own accord, my mind too focused on his almost-smile, on the way his eyes shined brightly down at me- and I slipped my hand unconsciously into his. My breath caught in my throat as that almost smile turned into a real one.

       "This way, little one."

       I didn't bristle at the name, not like when Leikos or any other villagers felt it necessary to put little in front of whatever they called me. Compared to the King and all other wolf-bornes I had met, I was little.

       I followed him obediently, my mind solely focused on the fact that he was holding my hand and smiling over at me. This was the most at ease I had ever seen him, and knowing that he was acting so in front of his Generals was mind blowing.

       Aeyron walked slowly behind us until he stood directly beside the only unused chair at the table, the one right next to the King's- the Second in Command's seat. I couldn't stop my hand from shaking slightly in the King's gentle grip as he eased me to a stop right beside his chair- right in front of all their unwavering gazes.

       "These are my Generals, men I trust with my life- and now yours. One will always be near you when I am not." I wanted to cry in disappointment when his hand slipped from mine and he stood a step behind me so I was the certain of attention. I bit my lip nervously.

       "H-Hello..."

       As if on cue, all six of the large wolf-bornes in front of us placed their right arm across their chest and bowed toward us- even Terif and Aeyron. My stomach still twisted with a thousand different nauseating nerves.

       I recognized the two from the other day, and the one that made the comment about how I was the 'famous Emrie'. The man's dark green eyes seemed to be alight in never-ending amusement. Eildor was his name- I think. The other General who had shoved him through the door stood directly beside him, his eyes as dark as the black hair resting softly against his forehead.

       "You already know Terif." The King's words seemed to be a gentle murmur in my ear, even though he stood proud and strong beside me and his voice was heard by all in the room. My eyes flickered over to my previous traveling companion, only to find his golden eyes hard as ice as they stared over at me- like he could practically see how nervous I was and didn't care.

       "And Aeyron has been guiding you since your arrival." I let my gaze flicker over to the beaming Second in Command and gave him a small smile as he shot me a sly wink. The King didn't seem to care- or notice.

       "Delos is in control over castle and grounds security."

       The General standing beside Terif gave me a short nod, his dark brown hair swaying casually across his shoulders like it had a mind of its own. His eyes were a striking auburn color as they gazed over at me, a hard suspicion clouding his gaze. I tried to position the King between him and I as best as I could. The wolf-borne was beautiful, but rather frightening.

       "And I believe Eildor has already taken the liberty to introduce himself yesterday." There was no mistaking the slight tinge of venom in the King's tone, or the flash of anger in his blue eyes- but it disappeared as quickly as it came. Eildor gave me a sheepish smile as his dark eyes twinkled in that never-ceasing amusement.

       "Forgive me, my King. I just could not reframe myself." The General's voice was sincere enough, but he didn't bother hiding the laughter in his gaze. He didn't catch me as one to ever take things seriously.

       "Hm." Was all Eirik deemed enough of a response to the amused wolf-borne. I felt my own lips want to pull into a smile. Eildor didn't appear to be too terrifying.

       The man beside him sighed and shook his head, the same one who shoved him out the door the day before. "I am Finn, Lady Emrie." The King remained quiet as the black-eyed man introduced himself, his attitude more irritated with the male beside him than interested with me. I think I liked him the most. "In charge of keeping this idiot in check." He snarled and shot his dark eyes at the still smiling Eildor, who rolled his eyes.

       "A job you seem to be lacking in lately." The King growled from beside me, but the insult was more directed at Eildor than Finn. "And that is Aleos." Eirik said on a sigh as he nodded to the last General standing at the table, his attention no longer on the fuming Finn and laughing Eildor.

       Aleos was quiet, quieter than Delos and Terif, but he gave me a low bow anyways. His hair was a dark blonde, his blue eyes bright- but nowhere near that electric blue the King held. His stance screamed with pride and authority as Eirik and Terif's did. He took his job seriously, and he was proud of that.

       "You all know this already, but this is Emrie- Lady Emrie. I expect her to be treated with just as much respect and loyalty as you do me." The King's voice was strong and firm and rang throughout the room was such authority than not even the bugs running through the rafters would dare defy him. Just like before, they all crossed their right arm over their large chests and bowed towards us.

       "Of course, my lord." They all affirmed before raising to their feet once again, even Eildor looked serious for a moment. It wasn't long before the King was nodding at them to all sit before turning to look at me, his blue eyes glowing softly in something close to sadness. It made my chest suddenly ache.

       "I have important matters I must discuss with them."

       I knew where this was going before he even finished his sentence, and I only hated myself for expecting something different. This would be the only encounter we would have today- the only time we would be able to see each other. And it was so brief and nerve wracking I didn't want to count it.

       "Aeyron will show you back to your room."

       I didn't bother answering him, and only nodded as his Second in Command stood to his feet with a sad smile directed at me. "It... It was nice to meet you all." I murmured politely before turning for the door, Aeyron right behind me.

       "Don't worry, Lady Emrie! We'll be seeing you again soon!" I heard Eildor call from behind me, and didn't understand the sudden heat that rose to my cheeks.

       "Shut up!" Finn hissed at him as we reached the door and Aeyron held it open for me. I was thankful for the smile their littler interaction forced on my lips. It was a small reprieve from the hollow ache that was filling my chest.

       I didn't look back at them once- didn't look back at the King and he didn't bother calling out any goodbyes. I understood his need to keep me hidden from others, understood why he didn't want to risk being around me too often- but it still hurt.

       "Aeyron? Can I ask you something?" I asked softly a moment later as I followed the large wolf-borne back to the marble staircase.

       "Of course, Lady Emrie." His tone was soft, easy-going, like he didn't necessarily have a problem in the world- and he was willing to take all of mine. I appreciated that.

       "Your kind, do they often reject their mates?"

       I knew the answer before the General even spoke- it was written all over his stunned face, his body suddenly stopping and stilled as his eyes widened. No, they didn't often reject their other half- and if the look he was suddenly giving me was anything to go back, that simple notion was horrifying.

       "No, we don't. Rejecting your destined one is the highest crime a wolf could ever commit- as it should be for all shifters."

       Oh... That makes sense then- why the King continued to keep me around. He didn't want to go against the wolf-borne laws by rejecting his mate. The shifters I lived with, those I was raised around, did not treat mates in such a high regard. Sure, most of them did end up together, but it was not uncommon to reject the other either.

       I never understood that before. I grew up believing that since I was not a shifter I would never have a destined one, and I did not understand why those lucky enough that did- did not want them. I understand now. Just because something in the universe decided to bind two souls together, did not mean that they would always want the other.

       The King did not necessarily know what to do with me. I always had my doubts when it came to him. Some things he would say would make my heart flutter, and then other times I truly wanted to cry.

       "You should clear your mind of such thoughts, my lady. It's almost unlawful to speak them." Aeyron turned once again, the smile from before gone as he led me back towards my rooms.

       I frowned at my own thoughts, and the way my heart thumped achingly in my chest. I had never cared before, not really. Not about mates or love- or the King, despite the general wonderment over what he had truly looked like and if the rumors were true. I had been so carefree- so convinced the only people I would ever need were Mae an Leikos.

       But now-

       Now I wanted to curl up in a dark corner somewhere and never come out- and all because the King of the North kept throwing my thoughts and emotions in a whirlwind of confusion. Was this how the rest of my life would be?

       No, I didn't think so. Terif had said the King had searched for his mate before- long before and couldn't take not finding her anymore. That he doesn't know what to do with now. I just had to be patient, give him time- give us both time.

       "You mentioned how different my culture is from yours, so did Terif. He said there are things I can and can't do in the kingdom." I started softly as I followed the large General down the hall, the tension in his shoulders slowly leaving. "What sort of things?" I knew Terif said that it was the King's place to tell me, but it did not appear that Eirik and I would be having a conversation again anytime soon.

       "Knowing Terif, he probably meant your behavior."

       "Excuse me?"

       Aeyron chuckled, and just like that- the tension from my rejection question completed disappeared. "Terif is a stickler for how people should act- especially mated couples. In the wolf culture, it is highly disrespectful for any mated couple to be seen showing affection to another without their mate's knowledge or approval."

       "Affection in general?"

       "No, just that which can be interpreted in a suggestive way."

       Suggestive... I mulled the word over in my head. Mates did not cheat on each other, or at least I didn't think they did. They didn't have a reason to- that person was literally their other half. Then a thought hit me, one that made my blood want to boil. Why that infuriating-!

       "Does Terif think I act that way?" I all but demanded as my steps suddenly turned to angry stomps. I had not done anything to anyone that would appear to be suggestive! Aeyron only laughed again.

       "I do not know what goes on in that wolf's head, nor do I want to. He's more moody than the King- and that's saying something."

       He could say that again.

       "He said the King was old. Do you all age differently than other shifters, or something?" I asked softly as we finally turned down the hall that held my chambers. I wasn't sure where the Second in Command stayed, but I felt bad for him always having to come get me. I'm sure it was a long walk.

       He paused for a moment, his brown eyes flickering to mine in uncertainty before glancing away again. "Or something."

       I frowned. That doesn't answer my question at all. What is it with these people and never answering questions. Screw it, I'll ask anyway. "Do you know how Terif saved me?" I was sure he knew about the accident, I'm sure they all did- but I was still surprised he tried to deny it.

       "I'm not sure I know what you're talking about." The guilty look in his eyes would suggest otherwise.

       "That night we were attacked, the night my skull had been broken, Terif saved me and no one will tell me how."

       We finally stopped outside my room, and I knew I wasn't going to get much out of him when a tired sigh slipped past his lips. He looked so torn it actually made me feel bad for asking. But out of all the wolf-bornes I had met, he was the only one bothering to hold an actual conversation with me.

       "He used some pretty old magic. That is all I can say. Please don't ask for more, my lady." The plea in his voice was so genuine and sincere it actually made the questions die on my tongue. He did not hide his emotions as well as Terif, or the King, and I knew it would just upset him if I persisted until he caved.

       "I am... just tired of being in the dark. I wish he would just talk to me." It was too late when I realized what I said. I wish he would talk to me, not someone. I should have said someone.

       A pained and saddened look crossed Aeyron's brown eyes before he leaned over to hold my door for me. "He will, in time." Was all he said as I walked past him and into the dark, lonely confines of my room.

       "That's what he keeps saying." I mumbled disdainfully as I stared around the large space. I had a sickening feeling this would turn more into a prison than a home.

       It was quiet for a long moment after that, and I had actually thought that the General had left- until he made an odd sound and let out another sigh. "Would you like to tour the castle tomorrow? There are some parts that are off limits, but I know some beautiful spots. Even in the heavy winter."

       I perked up immediately at that and shot him a grateful nod and smile, his dark brown eyes shined happily. That sounded lovely. Perhaps with Aeyron around, it wouldn't be too terribly lonely. And I was excited to explore the secrets of Eirik's kingdom.

-&-

I hope you all enjoyed :D

Don't forget to send us covers for the instagram page!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7M 350K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...
37.8K 2.1K 57
Long ago Riders worked hard to protect the kingdoms of Alenshia, a place filled with magic and power, and keep it well organized. Long ago these Ride...
2.4M 102K 36
Any other man I wouldn't be afraid of but Lycan Leader Malcolm's body extrude a kind of confidence and primal power that even I can't ignore. --- Run...
1.7M 75K 52
Twenty years later, it's time for an heir to take the throne and time for a new ruler to lead the wolves. It is time for a new beginning. It is time...