Worthless// A Final Fantasy X...

By MaskedWithWords

The blonde haired boy Prompto had always felt worthless. He had a deep dark secret that nobody knew. After th... More

The Roadtrip
True Feelings
More Questions Than Answers
"I Am Strong"
Trapped
Re-capture
Home For Now
A Friendly Brawl
Strength Restored
The Journey Continues
Setting Sail
A Rough Area
The Leviathan
The Cat and The Mouse
Reunited
The King, Oracle, Jester and Knights.
Departure, at last.
The Operation
The Horde
Alone
Coernix Bypass
Ardyn's Plan
Prompto's calling.
Dungeon Dilemma
The Calm Before The Storm
The Last Stand

Awakening

896 23 1
By MaskedWithWords

The beasts of the night hissed and growled as they circled the brothers in arms. This was not the first time Prompto fell badly. When Prompto was a child he was lonely and confused. The lack of friendship and family caused him to fall in a state of depression. His adoptive parents were never home to care and teach Prompto basic skills. The days behind the protective walls felt dull for his young mind as he always wanted to go beyond the walls of the place he was forced to call home. Each day was repetitive for him, he would go to school wearing the same outfit and return home eating the same thing- 'luxurious' fast-food. The same words always circled his mind, "pathetic" and "worthless" as he felt there was no use for him in the world.

However, there was one day that woke Prompto up from the dull trance. The day Prince Noctis arrived at school. To begin with, yet again Prompto felt as a waste of time as he thought it would be impossible for a loser like him to befriend the most popular kid in school... and the Kingdom. He constantly stared down at his overweight body and compared himself to the skinny-bodied Noctis. There was no chance.

The months leaded to years and finally Prompto felt his calling. Although 3 years had passed, Prompto felt accomplishment for once in his lifetime and was prepared to confront Noctis.

"Hey you!" The athletic and tall Prompto lightly punched Noctis' arm.

"Oh..hey. I remember you" Noctis smiled uncomfortably.

"You do?" Prompto smiled with hope.

"Prompto right?" The prince spoke with a friendlier tone.

"Ye..ah" Prompto spoke confused as he thought Noctis never took notice of him.

"You're the photo guy.. the one that used to be quite.." Noct frantically waved his arms to indicate a larger built body.

"That was me." Prompto began to speak in a sadder tone.

"Don't get me wrong. Your art still looks insane and you look amazing! Those days in the gym paid off 'ey? Not that you needed to go anyway. you looked fine" Noctis smiled.

This moment forever stays in Prompto's heart. The moment he found a true friend and was only the beginning of the many milestones he will have and spend with the future King.

"Speaking of. I know we've only just started to speak, but I kinda need your help with something" The black haired boy scratches his head.

"Oh yeah?" Prompto smirks.

"We can get to know each other more later, but I need your camera skills for a.. project I'm working on." Noct reveals.

"Lead me right away then!" Prompto giggled.

The two boys walked down the cobblestone path of the school catching the attention of each student. They all peered in amazement as everybody's high school crush walked glamorously next to the schools loner? Many people also stared confused. Prompto's heart beated heavily in excitement that he finally did it- spoke to his soon to be best friend as each thump of blood masked out the combination of positive and negative comments left by the other students. Fluorescent pink petals began falling from the sky, like a storm of pink rain which only left the atmosphere more magical for Prompto.

"We're gonna be outside the walls for a few days." Noctis said calmy.

" I thought no one was allowed to leave?" Prompto questioned.

"We're not. That's why I ask of you not to tell. Please?" Noct had a worrying tone.

"Sure..but.." Prompto began to speak before Noct intruded,

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought you into this. Our journey had just began and I already messed it up.." Noctis growled.

"No. It's fine! I swear. I will join you Prince!" Prompto spoke reluctantly without really realising his words.

Noctis sighed. " Well if you are, please just call me Noctis. Or Noct for short" Noctis outstretched his arm.

"Right. Sorry" Prompto gripped the boy's hand.

"It's dangerous out there, but my fighting skills should come in handy. I haven't completed my training yet because Gladiolus is too harsh on me. I hate him" Noctis admitted.

"You do realise I'm only good at shooting...with a camera? right? I have no relations to royalty so I've never grown up with any kind of training from the Kingsglaive or army." Prompto began to worry.

"We aren't headed far. I bet there's no monsters that dad tells me of anyway. Not this close to the walls. I've got you this anyway. Just in case" Noct reaches into his black bag that he slipped off of his shoulder and pulls out a strange looking item.

"Is that a weapon?" Prompto screamed.

"Keep it down!" Noct shouted back.

Prince Noctis had always been smart and his years escaping the walls of the citadel as a child and stealing the prop guns from Gladiolus' training stash were about to pay off, on a larger scale. Although anxious, The blonde boy followed closely behind his idol as they approached an area of the Kingdom that no citizen was allowed to step foot in.

"You're out of school early" The british voice of Ignis who served as Noctis' mentor (and personal chef) spoke from behind the gate.

" What you going to scold me?" Noctis spoke annoyed while Prompto grinned anxiously.

"Who's the scruffy haired kid?" One of the guards spoke with a deep tone.

Prompto did not feel welcome and the dark thoughts had only come back around to slap him in the face once more. He began to slowly walk backwards before he felt the tight grip of Noctis on his arm.

"My friend." Noct spoke.

Prompto's eyes lit up and the darkness began to fade.

"Fine, but only this one time. You know the rules your highness." Ignis stared at the new flesh.

With Noct's grip still firmly on Prompto's arm they ran through the main doors and towards the back of the citadel. The reflective marble shined brightly underneath their footsteps as each corner of the rooms twinkled as the Gold stood out prominently. The blonde boy was in awe and amazement at the conditions that his friend lived in. Before his eyes was a small hatch that peaked slightly in order to see the reflection of what was beyond the walls.

"That there is where we are headed." Noctis pointed with a brave face.

Before Prompto could speak, Noct began running again with Prompto by his side as they climbed the mountains of stairs that lead to their temporary freedom. Prompto fell to his knees in exhaustion and took a moment to let his reality sink in.

" I haven't done this in a while." Noct smiled as he stood at the edge of the building.

"Done what?" Prompto peered up with large eyes.

Noctis pulled out a small knife like weapon and threw it off the edge of the building and beyond the high walls. His black boots gripped tightly as he took a step onto the lip of the rooftop. He jumped.

"Noct!" Prompto shouted as he sprung from his knees and raced towards the edge of the building.

Noctis was falling further before he disappeared. Prompto sat at the edge, confused.

"Did I do this?" he questioned himself as he stared at his hands. Slowly yet surely his demons began creeping back and gripping tightly to his skull. Waves of unknown emotion began flowing over him.

"Hey Prompto!" The sound of Noctis' voice came from a distance.

The troubled boy raised his head and looked into the distance at Lucis. He could see the young prince waving his arms to get his attention.

" You didn't think I died did you?" Noct laughed.

"no...but what did you do?" Prompto felt stupid.

"I warped. I didn't think it was going to work though." Noct admitted with shame.

"You could've died!" Prompto stood up in anger.

"Woah, easy tiger. I didn't mean to scare you"

"I can't get down. I can't do that. remember?" Prompto spoke in an annoyed tone.

"Oh right. No royal connection-no magic" Noct remembered.

Within a few seconds Noct appeared back side by side to Prompto again. He was heavily breathing and drenched in sweat.

"Takes the breath out of you" He panted.

Prompto reached for his camera to take a picture of the prince while he wasn't looking all glorious and clean. Was this really what he wanted to do? Prompto remembered back to when he was younger and overweight and shivered at the thought of someone using his defenceless self against him. He growled and reached out to pat Noctis' back instead.

"You okay there bud?" Prompto concerned.

"Just winded." Noct smiled.

" Let's try this..." Noct spoke and grabbed Prompto tightly before the yellow haired boy could say a word. In a flash both disappeared from the rooftops and beyond the wall on Lucian soil. Noct fell to the floor breathing rapidly and Prompto fell to his knees as a wave of dizziness washed over him. Prompto raised his head before vomiting on the brown, dry dirt.

"You okay bro?" Noct groaned with concern while trying to catch his breath.

Prompto failed to reply so the raven haired boy crawled towards him.

"Never again." The quiet boy spoke.

" Well we have to get back somehow." Noct laughed.

Prompto raised to his feet with the help of his new companion and the two began walking cautiously towards the sunset. In the distance glowed a large rock that shined with different colours of the rainbow. Noct didn't speak a word as he inched closer towards the giant gemstone. Prompto pulled out his camera to snap a photo of the area, but stopped as Noct spoke out.

"This is the one." Noct stroked the gemstone as he pulled it from the rock.

"What is it?" Prompto questioned in amazement.

"Lunastone" Noct replied while holding the stone up.

"Is that all we came for?" Prompto spoke in disappointment.

"No." The distracted boy quickly answered.

Lunastone was a rare stone found amongst the land of Lucis and the location could only be found through a dream. Noctis dreamt the night before of finding the stone for his future wife to be, who also was named Luna. However, little did Noctis know that the stone also attracted many powerful monsters and could only be extracted from the rock if a soul mate was nearby. The Oracle LunaFreya may be the one receiving the gift and the one destined to tie knots with Noctis, but Prompto was destined to be forever linked with his best friend Noctis.

The sound of grunts and growls began filling the air and beasts Noctis had never been taught of began appearing.

"Demons!" Noct shouted as he ran to protect his defenceless friend.

Prompto began whimpering and was unsure of what to do.

" I did it again! I messed up!" Noct began rambling.

"No you didn't! Now focus and you can save us both!" Prompto cried.

The demons crawled closer and began attacking the novice boys. Only wielded with a weak sword and a small knife Noct began slicing and slashing at the huge beasts, but left not even a scratch. Prompto crouched and protected his head in terror and fear of losing his life.

"Noctis!" A deep voice screamed from the citadel. A guard panicking for discovering Noctis beyond the Kingdom and surrounded by monsters. A flash appeared from the rooftop and back down on the dirt of Lucis as some of the Kingsglaive were deployed to protect Noctis and Prompto. The situation seemed under control, until a larger, much stronger demon spawned and took out most of the Glaive in one hit.

"Noo!" Prompto screamed in terror as he watched the men shatter and fall onto the floor. Never had witnessed death before Prompto began crawling towards the lifeless bodies, blaming himself for their deaths.

"I told you! I'm a nobody! You would be safe and they would be alive if I wasn't here with you right now!" Prompto began shouting with tears rolling down his face.

"Don't you dare!" Noct pointed at Prompto as he marched towards him.

Smaller demons spawned from behind the two weak boys and snuck up on them unexpectedly. Noctis turned swiftly and had time to stab one of them, causing his weak weapon to break before his eyes. The other beast bounced towards Prompto as its sharp teeth and claws dripped with a purple fluid. The drooling monster gripped onto Prompto and sunk its teeth into his arm. A shriek no man has heard in a long time was let out of the freckled boy's mouth as Noctis tried his best to punch and kick the evil being.

Prompto laid in agonizing pain as he looked up into the black void of white stars as he witnessed a quick flash of light and a red explosion. A power only capable by a royal item wielded by King Lucis. The demons disappeared leaving an ominous atmosphere behind. Surviving Glaive members wrapped Noctis and Prompto tightly and returned them to the safety of the Citadel.

"I'm sorry" were the last words he heard that day as Noctis took every burden. The healers of the Kingdom tried desperately with every potion to heal Prompto, yet for some reason each and every one failed. Prompto was different and kept a secret that not even he wanted to believe. Finally in the last moments before he slipped away forever, he awoke.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

"Prompto?" The three friends stared down at Prompto's body.

Prompto took in his surroundings as he saw that he layed where the Behemoth attacked.

"We only just managed to save you." Ignis spoke as he crouched down holding a bag full of 'Pheonix down'.

Large scars appeared across the injured boy's spine and stomach, another memory to add to the book of times Prompto did not feel 'normal'. This was the second incident in where normal healing potions had no affect, a worrying thought for Noctis as he to was reminded of the incident beyond the Kingdom in their childhood.

"Are you alright?" Noctis watched Prompto, worried.

"I've been better." Prompto tried to make light of the situation.

"Let's get you onto your feet and into the Regalia."Gladio lifts Prompto up carefully as they both slowly walk towards the vehicle. Ignis takes the wheel as Gladio sits upright in the front passenger seat after setting Prompto down in the back seats alongside Noctis.

"Noct." Prompto whispered

"Yeah?" He replied

"You remember that crazy time before. When we first met I mean." Prompto looked towards Noct.

"Of course I do. I can't exactly forget that day easily" He rolled his eyes.

"I forgot to say something to you. Even after all this time, I still feel the need to say it" Prompto's voice begins to wobble as he holds back saddness.

"I'm listening." Noct speaks with a curious tone.

"Thank you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 906 29
As the youngest member of the Kingsglaive, your job has always been relatively simple, even if your life hasn't been. You are - as the name of the o...
229 0 11
The world of Eos is full of all kinds of adventures. Fishing, camping, hunting, traversing the land. But it also has its dangers. The deamons and Sta...
9K 263 21
Square Enix owns FFXV-I only added my own original character.---- The brotherhood has stumbled upon the most valuable treasure of all, eyes empty...
Listen By 幸せ

Fanfiction

140K 5K 55
You haven't been one to open up to people well no matter who they are, not since you lost your family to Niflheim invading your home. How your shy an...