In This Life And The Next ✔️

By thedeepster

*Sequel to ENEMY OF MY PACK. *not edited. Being a werewolf sucked but being a werewolf daughter to a human... More

Prologue: My First Change
Chapter 1: Not Safe
Chapter 2: Rare Disease
Chapter 3: Too Innocent
Chpater 4: Fresh V.P
Chapter 5: The Boy with the Dark Blue Eyes
Chapter 6: Car Dents and Bitches
Chapter 7: Be Careful
Chapter 8: Captain Death
Chapter 9: Accept Who You Are
Chapter 10: "Daymares"
Chapter 11: Chest Cooties
Chapter 12: A Slap to the Masseter
Chapter 13: Sexy Lady
Chapter 14: Serving Time with the Devil
Chapter 15: "Where's the Fire?"
Chapter 16: Money and Giant White Mansions
Chapter 17: Stay the Hell Away From Me
Chapter 18: What Are You?
Chapter 19: Bi-Polar
Chapter 21: Snooping Is Bad, Kids.
Chapter 22: I'm a Dead Girl
Chapter 23: Stay
Chapter 24: We Are Connected
Chapter 25: Gun's A Blazin'
Chapter 26: Guess Who's Back
Chapter 27: I Am Not Jennifer
Chapter 28: The Past
Chapter 29: Mother Of All Mates
Chapter 30: Be Happy
Chapter 31: Dangerous Threat
Chapter 32: Alone
Chapter 33: Young Forever
Chapter 34: Trickster
Chapter 35: Trigger Fingers
Chapter 36: All That Matters
Epilogue: In This Life And Maybe The Next

Chapter 20: What is a Mate?

2.8K 122 10
By thedeepster

ARI

I ran down the stairs, with tears streaming down my face, until I reached the floor where Jen's room was. I didn't even notice but I was on the fourth floor of the house. How did I even end up in Alex's room?

I don't want you.

I shook my head trying to get Alex's voice out of my mind and wiped my eyes. He means nothing. He means nothing to me.

With a deep breath, I calmed myself down. What am I crying over? I was going to knock on Jen's door but heard light snoring and decided I shouldn't bother her. I checked my phone to see it was 6:47 in the morning.

I groaned. No wonder my eyes still burned! I was still sleep deprived. I don't even remember what time I fell asleep.

I walked down the stairs and decided to go into the kitchen. I used the kitchen sink to clean my face, splashing water on it. I gurgled some water, trying to freshen my breath. Jen wouldn't mind if I ate something. Would she? I shrugged and grabbed a bowl and milk.

A freak like you. I grabbed my head and tried to think of anything else. Food, think of food! I told myself as I swirled the cereal and the milk around in my bowl.

The more I thought, the more I remembered what happened last night. After falling asleep, in Alex's lap, he took me upstairs into Jen's room but Nate had stopped him and told him to take me to the guest room. Alex was going all the way up to the fourth floor when I started to groan and clutching my stomach. I think Alex panicked and took me to his room where I threw up in his bathroom. I felt guilty when I remembered how he held my hair back and rubbed my back.

After that he helped me clean my mouth with water and sat me on his bed. He told me to stay there until he cleaned up and then he would take me to my room.

I remember laying down on his bed, feeling safe and comfortable. Alex told me to get up but I didn't want to. I wanted to stay and Alex let me. He took off my heels and placed the blanket over me. I finally fell asleep.

Alex was so nice to me he didn't touch me once and I can't believe I thought that he and I...did stuff.

Looking around the kitchen, I saw no one around. I looked outside through the back door and noticed a couple of kids playing and a few grown ups walking around. Some were gardening and some were stretching. Everyone must have come back way early in the morning. I sat down at the counter when my phone buzzed. I checked it to see I had a message from my mom.

|Morning Sweetie! How was your first sleepover? I just wanted to let you know I'll be home by 3pm today. Maybe we can do something together? 🙃|

I read her message with a deep frown. It was barley 7 in the morning now. What the hell am I supposed to do all day?

The back door swung open and a small body ran towards the cereal box. "You want some more?" A 5 year old girl asked me, holding out the box of Lucky Charms. I smiled and shook my head.

"Hey I do that too!" The kid said looking at my cereal bowl. I was eating the brown cereal first, saving the marshmallows for last.

I looked at the little kid and chuckled. "I think everyone does that."

She pulled out a chair next to me and sat down shaking her tiny head. "Nuh uh. My sister eats it all together!"

"Who's your sister?" I asked curious.

"Jennifer. My name's April!" She leaned closer to me giving me a huge smile.

I laughed out loud. "No wonder! Your sister is weird! And, that's a beautiful name! You know I was born in the month of April."

I knew Jen had a sister but I never met her, until now.

"I'm Ari." I told her when her eyes shined bright when she realized we were basically the same because I was born in April and her name is April.

She then gave me a very weird look, like she was trying to remember something.

"I member who you are!" She said excited.

I smiled at the way she said remember. "You know me?" I asked amused with the 5 year old girl.

"Yes! My mommy has a picture of you in her room, but we're not allowed in there so don't tell anyone. You pinky promise?" She held out her pinky but I ignored it.

"What do you mean my picture?"

Her tiny forehead wrinkled in anger. "Pinky promise!"

"Yes, yes." I grabbed her pinky with mine and promised her. "Now, what did you mean?"

"I was in my moms room and I went into the closet because that's where she hid Mr. Unicorn from me and I went to get him but he was too high and I jumped and a bunch of papers fell on me and I got paper cuts, see!" She held out her index finger and showed me a small cut. "Then, I saw a whole bunch of pictures and I saw you but I was scared my mom would know I was there so I hid everything in the back where no one can see because it's so dark. I was scared so I left." She sighed in relief after she told me her story. "Are you my mom's friend?"

I nodded my head. "Yes I am. Now, don't you want to go outside and play?" She bounced out her seat and ran out the backyard door.

I sat back in my chair and grabbed my head. What the hell is that little girl talking about? That can't be true. I've never met Jen's mother? How can she have my pictures?

I decided to investigate. I went back up the stairs but realized I had no idea where Jen's mother's room was.

Maybe I could smell Jen's scent and follow it to hers mom's room? Would that even work? I had no idea. Jen, her family, Alex, Nate, etc, did smell differently than the people in Virginia but I'm pretty sure it's because of Little Falls. Everyone must smell different in different parts of the state.

I went back down to the living room and sat down heavily on the soft couch. I closed my eyes and laid down, tucking my legs into the couch. I had my arm over my face to stop the sun from blinding me. A quick nap didn't hurt anyone right?

Next thing I know, I'm snoring.

***

"Do it Nathan!" My face snapped to a women as she ran into the field. She looked at me with guilt and then avoided my eyes.

She looked so familiar?

Nathan, the guy she was calling to, was so fast, everything was a blur. All I heard was a piercing roar so painfully loud, it made my ears bleed.

"NO!" I fell to my knees, not able to keep myself upright anymore. My heart was pounding with pain when I realized it was Alex in the middle of the field.

I just sat there watching as the blood gushed out of his wound. They let him go and he fell to his knees with a groan. "Nathan" removed the knife from his chest and more blood came out of his wound.

"No, please, please!" My salty tears ran down my cheeks and into my mouth as I wailed. My lungs burned for Alex. I felt a hollow feeling in my chest.

I didn't realize it before, but a man was holding me. "Let me go. Please." I told the guy struggling again. He finally let me go and I fell to the floor but soon was on my feet and ran to Alex.

"Shawn!" The name flew out of my mouth. I grabbed his face and looked into his black eyes. Blood was pouring out of his mouth so I grabbed the edge of my shirt and wiped his mouth.

"Shawn please!" I shook Alex. "Let go of him you bastard!" I said speaking to him but all I could see were his pitch black eyes.

"Please." I begged. "Please give me my mate." Mate? There's that word again.

The dark eyes looked at me defeated and then I could slowly see them getting lighter until I saw Alex's eyes. His beautiful eyes.

His dark blue eyes were shining under the light which made me smile. He lifted his lips but then he just grimaced and moaned.

I laid him down in my lap and stroked his hair. "Shawn, don't leave me, please."

Shawn? His name is Alex so why am I saying Shawn? What is my connection to this name? What is Alex's connection?

He choked in response. I stroked his cheek and sobbed. He was so pale, so blue. I knew in my heart that Alex was dying and for a minute, I couldn't feel anything but pain. This guy that is so rude and mean to me was dying and I was feeling grief.

"SHARRY!" I called out to someone in the field. I looked around and noticed no one.

The guy, Nathan, stepped closer and I swear I almost lost my shit. An incredible rage surged through my body. I've never felt such hatred for someone. It was crazy.

"GET AWAY FROM HIM! YOU MURDERER!" My throat hurt after I screamed at the dude and everyone backed away from me.

A cold hand touched my cheek and I gasped looking down to my lap.

"I-I-mmmm so-rrr-" Alex tried to apology. I was confused. Why was he apologizing to me?

"-shhhh. I forgive you. Okay? I will always forgive you." I rocked Alex back and forth and squeezed his dying body to my chest. His warm skin made mine tingle and I swear I felt as if I was going to explode.

Then Alex didn't move.

Alex?

"Alex!" I called out to him but he didn't move. 

No. My breath was stuck in my throat when I realized he was dead.

***

My eyes wrenched open and for a minute, it felt as if my heart had stopped. I looked around feeling disoriented.

Why do my dreams always involve Alex and Shawn and someone always getting hurt?

My shaky hand wiped the sweat off my forehead. Everything in the dream felt so incredibly real. I remembered the way Alex's skin felt against mine, the way his eyes traced my face.

Why do I love him? We exchanged a few glares, a few hateful words and threats and yet, I loved him?

Grabbing my head, I shook it.

Stop thinking about him! He's supposed to be nothing to me. He's just a guy.

A guy that made my heart leap out of my chest. A guy that made my cheeks warm by one glance. A guy who's smile made me smile. A guy who's pain felt as if it was my own.  A guy who hates me.

I sighed and laid back down staring up at the roof.

My ears adjusted to the sounds around me and I closed my eyes, trying to make out the conversations. I could hear quite a few people snoring, well it was barley 8:30 in the morning and I'm sure people were sleeping off their hangovers.

My mind wandered to a conversation happening outside. They seemed to be standing next to a stream because I could hear water rushing against rocks.

"-anniversary today. Can you believe it Matt? It's been 20 years since she died." A guy said. He sounded pretty upset about someone dying a really long time ago.

"I know. It's been too long. I can't help but imagine how her life would have turned out. She probably would have had 18 year old kids too like my son, Nate." Said Nate's father, his voice thick with emotion.

They were quiet for a bit and I almost tuned them out until I heard something that peaked my interest. "Hey man, this isn't my business or anything but don't you think Alex deserves to know?" Nate's father chimed in again.

The other guy grunted in response. "You don't think I know that Matt? You don't think I remember every time I see his face?" He then sighed. "He's not ready. At least that's what I feel like. You know he's been having nightmares about the horrible things Shawn had done?"

I sat up on the couch my heart pounding.

Shawn? He just said Shawn and nightmares. I've been having nightmares about him. I strained my ear and listened some more.

"He's my son Matt. I remember the day he was born, the first time I looked into those eyes. Those same eyes. I felt it was impossible but you see it now! He's exactly the same! And you know what that means." The guys voice was heavy with emotion.

Nate's father spoke when the other guy couldn't. "It means she might be out there too. But how is this possible? I know mate's are mated forever but to come back as the same? With the same memories? This seems like the work of the moon goddess. It has to be, because there is no other explanation. If sh-"

I was interrupted by someone pinching my arm. I gasped from the sudden pain and glared up at Aaron.

He sat down next me. "Oh come on! That did not hurt!"

Rolling my eyes at him, I stood up and made my way towards the backyard. I need some answers and it seems like Alex's and Nate's fathers can give them to me.

"Hey, where you goin'! Jen's awake! She was asking about you."

I stopped in my tracks. I tried listening to see if they were still there but they weren't so I let it go. Maybe Jen can take me to her mom's room. Something is going on here and it involved Alex, this Shawn guy and me.

Aaron laughed out loud all of a sudden and slapped his knee. "Dude, you were so drunk!"

"I know. I remember." I decided to ask Aaron about a word I keep hearing.

"Hey, what does mate mean? I have been hearing that word everywhere!" I asked frustrated that I couldn't understand their stupid secret language.

Aaron paled and started to stammer. "I-I-um, it means friend! You know they say that in Australia and some parts of England and whatever." He nervously looked away and my temper got in the way.

"Whatever man." I looked away from him angrily and counted back from ten. Calm down Ari, you don't want to hurt him. So what he lied? It's his choice if he wants to tell me or not.

I went upstairs and into Jen's room who was sitting on her bed, pissed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 729 18
[Slowly Editing] Ariana Renee Grayson is an 18 year old werewolf. Growing up without her father, and never knowing about her brother was hard. After...
32.2K 2.1K 46
A spin-off from the Rootbridge series. Callie's wolf is out of control and therapy isn't helping her understand the fragments of memories she has abo...
13.9K 692 56
The moon pack lost their Luna eleven years ago and the loss of her still impacts them all. Especially her three children and her mate. As her childr...
180K 5K 8
*Short Story* It is difficult to stay with the people who look down at you like you are some kind of disease. It hurts when they don't want to acknow...