Guardian (Sequel to Fearless)

By squigmo

One year. It had been one year since Iris Gwenneth became the first heroine of Eldia --one year since her lif... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Chapter Eighty Four
Chapter Eighty Five
Chapter Eighty Six
Chapter Eighty Seven
Chapter Eighty Eight
Chapter Eighty Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety Two
Chapter Ninety Three
Chapter Ninety Four
Chapter Ninety Five
Chapter Ninety Six
Epilogue

Chapter Ninety One

5.2K 338 321
By squigmo

A/N: Here's a hair reference for Kayde's new do (except black hair, of course).

Okay, enjoy!

The song is also beautiful, for those of you that take the time to listen to them.

"I was summoned, Master Rhalla?" came a silk voice from her tent opening, drawing her gaze from her map. She hadn't really been focused on it in the first place, as she was still lost in thought from taking in new children. She found that Kayde Vorantis stood in front of her, looking very much like the late Master Dyran. Since his reunion with Iris and his conversation with Zayn, Kayde hair had been pulled half-up. Small, very complex braids twisted his straight tresses back out of his face, right into a curtain of black down his back. Also, Kayde had been given his father's armor as sort of memorabilia of Dyran. Kayde wore it now, proudly.

He and Dyran had been very similar in size, so the tight segmented plate fit him well all the way down. The obsidian bolts of cloth flowed from his belt to the floor, almost giving the illusion of a robe. Also, the great cat, Nightingale, followed closely after Kayde into the tent. Rhalla almost smiled at that. "You do look like your father."

"Thank you," he replied softly, and took a breath. "Did you see his body?"

Rhalla had seen it. It had made her sick, all torn apart like that. She went pale. "I did." She sucked in a mouthful of air. "His body has been cleaned and dressed. Are you sure you wish him burned instead of buried?"

"He never could stand the thought of maggots eating his eyes, his skin rotting his lips off his teeth," Kayde answered. "I can't either. Burn him. The body is nothing anymore, not without him there in it. His ashes in the wind will find more flight -more freedom-than a body encased and trapped in the ground forever."

"Then he will be ashes," Rhalla promised. "If that is his wish, then I shall see it through for you. As guardian custom, we say final graces at midnight. Usually, the new guardian master sends the old away. But you are his son, so tradition will be broken. You will carry the torch, if you wish. You will send him off with a blaze so bright it will shame the stars."

Kayde nodded in agreement.

For a moment, they both took a moment to think. He was the first to say something. "Word around is camp that you've adopted two little girls."

"I have," Rhalla chuckled. "I'm about to have my hands full."

"You did it to give them a better life. You couldn't stand the thought of saving those girls to send them back to sadness. You did it for more than pity -you did it because you truly love the women you suffered with once. The women who shared your fate." Kayde met Rhalla's eyes. "You will make a proud guardian master."

"I hope to," Rhalla offered a soft smile. "But a guardian master can't do everything by themselves. I'll need a Second Commander. Which is why you're here." She stood straight up. "I want you as my second, Kayde Vorantis."

Kayde choked, a bit surprised. "Me?"

"Do you accept?" Rhalla asked.

"It would be an honor to serve under you... but," Kayde paused. "There are far more qualified people. If you're giving this to me just because of my father... I mean..." Another pause. "Even your sister would be a better choice. She knows a lot about command. She used to be Rogue Captain..."

"She did," Rhalla interrupted. "My sister is a wonderful guardian, and a wonderful person. But after things I've seen, I know she still has a lot to learn about what guardians are -about what life is, even. She has lot of growing room, and I believe she will grow. I believe she will blossom into something even more astounding. But that will take time." Rhalla smiled. "You've been with us since you were a child, Kayde Vorantis. You've as much a talent for what you do as you do for selling yourself short." Rhalla stepped up. "You are death with that sword, but you are life and faith in your heart. You stepped in front of a blade to save my sister. Dying for someone... that's the bravest thing a man can do. So... now let us combine that courage and skill with the cleverness it takes to teach a small girl how to get through a war. Mix all that with how influential you were, finally helping her to believe in her --inspiring her enough to come here, so she might be like you. All the while, you expected nothing in return. I find I have a perfect candidate. And so I choose you. Do you choose you?"

Kayde's next smile was barely there, but it was genuine. "That's a lot of faith you have in me," he said softly. "As your second, I will ensure that you do not regret that faith. I accept your offer, Guardian Master Rhalla Gwenneth. I will serve with the very best of me."

Hench held out her hand. As Eldian custom, they both grasped the other's wrist and shook. "As myself, you will be officially inducted when we return to the sanctuary. However, I will have Cane spread the word of your decision tonight."

"As your Second Commander, I suggest you go see your loved ones. Supper is being served. Your family and friends are gathered by a fire outside Iris's tent waiting on you," he told her. "I'm surprised you aren't already there."

Hench looked up at him. "Can I be candid with you?"

Kayde ducked his head in a nod.

"I'm terrified," she admitted. "I'm still terrified."

"They're your family," Kayde reminded her. "What could you possibly have to fear from them?"

"The worst thing of all," Rhalla whispered. "Disappointment. If I go out to that campfire, it won't be in armor, figuratively and literally. If I go to them... it will be as wholly myself. I won't be that silly girl in a dress anymore. I'll be big and masculine, with a penchant for burying my emotions under toughness. I drink whiskey, kick ass with the boys, and love a woman."

"You're not a princess, no," Kayde reminded her. "They'll love you regardless."

Rhalla thought about that for a minute and simply nodded. Their conversation took a rail change. "Thank you for saving my sister's life."

Kayde chuckled. "You confronted me once, you accused me of loving your sister before her trials. Back then, I skirted it. It wasn't appropriate, and it didn't matter... not with Zayn." He met her eyes. "But now, I want you to know that there is absolutely nothing in this world I would not do for Iris. I'd rip out my own heart if it proved beneficial to her."

Rhalla laughed softly, touched not only by his words, but by the look in his eyes. "That is good to hear. But perhaps it won't come to that."

"Indeed."

"Go be with her," Rhalla instructed. "She went through hell thinking you were dead. Believe me. As for me, I'll change out of this armor and meet with you all in a minute when I stop shitting myself." There was a pause. "Figuratively," she added, as if it weren't obvious.

Kayde snorted at that. Then, he left her to herself.

He nearly ran into Secretary Cane, who stood just outside the tent. He must've been waiting on a command.

He'd get one soon enough.

----

The entire crew sat around the camp fire. Iris sat between her parents, and beside them was Azabela and her now three children. Zayn was there as well, sitting beside Elizabeth Or'vail. Lelandra, or Sunny, huddled close to Elizabeth's other side. Then there were the friends. Brawler sat waiting on Cane. Dregar was with Ra.. The only ones that were missing at this point were Rhalla, Cane, and Kayde. Sorella wasn't there, either, but she wouldn't be able to make it. She will still busy tending the wounded and the women.

"So you're..." Zayn choked. He'd just been served a great surprise.

"I am Irila Gwenneth," Iris's mother said with a soft smile. Gods, she looked like Iris. "And you are Zayn Rothstead."

"You're supposed to be..." Zayn pointed at Elliot. He'd presumed both Iris's parents dead, yet here they were. "And you. How... No, I think it's better I don't know how."

They were interrupted by Cane, who came walking up.

"Sit down, lad, join the fun! Party's jus' startin'" Brawler called, patting the spot beside him. "Called for ye like twenty minutes ago."

"I've been busy making announcements," the secretary said as he finally came over. "You may have heard. Guardian Master Rhalla Gwenneth has named Second Commander Kayde Vorantis. He has accepted."

"Second Commander?" Iris whispered.

"Yes. Kayde is your second commander."

Iris took a breath, and looked over at Zayn -who looked shocked himself, and then back at Cane. "Where is he now? I haven't seen him in over an hour."

"To the best of my knowledge," the secretary said. "Coming this way. He had to wash, dress, visit the body of his father, and speak to our guardian master. He also had to speak with one of Riasion's former slaves. An Eruthan girl. He was the only one that knew how to speak her tongue."

Iris looked disoriented. "Speak her tongue? Kayde speaks Eruthan? Why?"

"I believe the language is actually called Soromese, spoken by all the desert countries to the west."

"The why," Zayn piped up. "Kayde Vorantis is Eruthan by over half."

"Always took cat eyes fer somethin' different," Ra piped up. "Way he talks don't sound Eldian."

Meanwhile, Dregar quietly said, "I knew I should have placed his fighting style."

"How do you know that?" Iris directed at Zayn. "How could you possibly know his heritage when I don't?"

He chuckled. "Because he told me."

Iris huffed a breath, but it was more in disbelief than anger. "He told you? Why?

Zayn shrugged. "I asked."

Iris shook her head, too stunned to say anything at that moment in time. Meanwhile, Cane took the opportunity to say, "Regardless of who he's told, him being able to communicate in another language has already proved invaluable to our new guardian master."

"And where is she? The guardian master?" Elliot interjected. "Where is my other daughter now? Why hasn't she come?"

"I don't know how to eloquently word it."

"To hell with etiquette and eloquence. I haven't truly got to see and converse with my baby girl since she was eight years old, when she disappeared. " Elliot Gwenneth finally said, drawing many gasps from his family. His words were forceful and intense, but only from emotion. He'd spent too many years being away from Rhalla. Suddenly, he looked very worn. "I'm tired of missing her. Where is she? Why isn't she here yet?"

Cane let out a gentle laugh. "Ah, now I see who she takes after." There was a momentous silence. "Wait, what do you mean since she was eight. She never came home?"

Elliot shook his head. "No. She never did. She disappeared when she was a child at a festival, and no one's heard from her until over twenty years later." He waved his hand, but Cane looked sympathetic. "Forgive my outburst. I'm just... overwhelmed."

"In her own words to Kayde Vorantis, she'll be here with you soon..." the secretary took a breath. "Forgive my language, but I believe she said she'd come once she was done shitting herself. Figuratively."

Azabela cackled, unable to help herself. "Those do sound like her words."

Brawler snapped his head to the huntress, as if he'd suddenly been slapped. "Ye know, Azabela, I always forget Rhalla has ever made time fer, well, a bedfellow. A betrothed, an' whatnot. An' I have ta ask, is she the same way at home?" From the side, Dane gagged at the word bedfellow.

Azabela's eyes twinkled. "Oh, she's Rhalla no matter where she is. Always. She's big and tough, she doesn't always know what's good for her, she's stubborn as a damned ox, she doesn't like help a lot of the times -even when she needs it, and she doesn't always say things the right way. But she's also loyal to a fault, and..." her smile went bright. "...and then, there are times... she's not always so firm. She wears her heart on her sleeve, despite what she says. And if you know how to touch that heart, she melts for you. She does for me." Azabela took a breath. "There are times when I'm not so strong, and her presence is so... powerful. I can feel scared, and then she's there... she holds me against her and nothing can ever hurt me. I'm home and always safe. She's perfect."

Irila was the next one to speak. "You truly love my daughter."

The huntress looked over at Rhalla's mother with sparkling, dark eyes. "I do."

"Hearing you talk about her like that," Irila whispered. "It eases something in me, I think." She smiled at the huntress -a real smile. "Perhaps she was fated to find you."

Azabela took a minute, and shook her head. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't hear that last bit," she admitted with great shame. "I have a bad ear. Can you repeat that last sentence?"

Irila smiled gently, not troubled at all. "I said perhaps it was fate that she met you."

"Fate or not," Azabela said with a grin, hearing her that time. "I will love her until I no longer breathe. And beyond that, if the gods are real."

Lelandra and Elizabeth shared a look at that development -a very confused look. Cricket was with a woman?

The moment was broken by a cat's cry -the wail of a great panther from across camp. Everyone, even the soldiers, stopped what they were doing. There was a moment before another yowl filled the air. People started moving, clearing a path for the beast. The conglomeration of the people sitting at Iris's campfire turned their heads in the direction of the sound.

The crowd parted all the way to Iris and her family. Nightingale stalked forward through on graceful feet, yellow eyes flicking from person to person. At her flank, was her new master. Kayde Vorantis whisked through the crowd, the skirting of his armor flowing around his feet. He made his way directly to the fire.

Iris stood from her spot, watching him walk the whole way. Nightingale was the first to enter their group, near hissing at all the people watching.

"Easy," Kayde commanded in a lilting voice. The animal relaxed beside him.

At his presence, Iris respectfully ducked her head. "Second Commander," she greeted. Secretary Cane and Brawler did the same.

He was about to tell them that the formality was unnecessary, but he choked on the words. He had never been in a position of command. They raised their heads to meet his gaze, and he simply ducked his head back. "Greetings."

"You're lookin' pretty fancy these days, aren't ya? Nice hair," Ra commented with a snort. "Nice pet."

Kayde looked down at Nightingale. "She was my father's. With him gone, she's been tailing me."

"Sorry about your father, lad," Ra rubbed his beard. "It's not easy. By way of hearin', ya nearly followed him to the Light-lands."

"The Beyond," Kayde corrected while looking off, using a term no one had ever heard before, other than Zayn. "My father is at peace. Knowing that comforts me." Before anyone could ask him about that, he looked back at them. "I did nearly follow him via a knife to the chest. Hardly a pleasant experience."

"A knife that you jumped in front of, we all hear," Dregar added.

"It would have killed her," he said as he looked at his love. Then, he narrowed his eyes. "That reminds me, there was a pale-haired assassin. Where is he now?"

"You shouldn't have risked your life. And they call him Ghost," Iris whispered. "And he's gone now."

Kayde raised a brow. "Dead?"

"No," Iris looked at her feet. "Just gone." That admission came with great pain. "We fought... I couldn't win against him. Not conventionally. When the baron died, there was no one left to pay his contract, so now he's gone. To Oraborn, if he was telling the truth."

"You couldn't win?" Kayde looked almost startled.

Iris shook her head. "He's good at what he does. There's a reason he was hired to kill me."

Silence. Nightingale finally moved again, towards Iris. The steps were slow and cautious. The panther's nose sniffed at her, moving a circle around her. Iris was a little scared, she had to admit. She didn't move as its nose pressed against the back of her thighs, even if her knees wanted to buckle inward. Nightingale came back around front and started rubbing its face against Iris's legs. Despite the act being affectionate, Iris couldn't help but think of the teeth.

"Kayde," Iris squeaked.

The second commander chuckled and clicked his tongue, drawing the cat's gaze back. "Come, Nightingale." The panther just gave him a wide eyed stare for a second before trotting back to his side.

"She was nuzzling you, dear girl," Kayde told Iris, and his lip twitched. "I must admit, I've never seen her do that before. At least, not to a newcomer. That's very strange."

"Animals have incredible sense," Azabela jutted in with keen eyes at the rogue. "Must sense something about Iris that she likes."

Iris gave an awkward chuckle. "She's beautiful, Kayde, even if she's terrifying."

"Just as you," he couldn't help himself. "Come, let's sit. I need a moment to relax." Like that, Elliot and Irila shifted and the two sat together. Kayde's arm curled around her waist, and Iris laid her head on his shoulder.

They sat there like that for a moment. "You never told me you were Eruthan," Iris finally said. Her words were soft, but everyone heard them in the silence.

Kayde's eyes flashed to Zayn, and he laughed a little. "Apparently I didn't have to."

Nothing else was said about it. Not for now, anyhow. A serenity passed over the group as they stared into the crackling fire. They didn't have to say anything to enjoy each other's presence. It was a moment that required no words, even. Irila and Elliot cuddled together, as did Iris and Kayde. Nightingale curled up at Kayde's feet. Azabela softly stroked Oletta's hair, while Lissa dozed off in Dane's lap. Lelandra and Elizabeth curled up as sisters. The rest stared into the embers.

Zayn Rothstead's eyes flicked to Iris every so often. Meanwhile, Elizabeth watched Zayn. She'd heard he'd lost his arm saving someone's life. For the longest time, she'd wondered if every single man in the world was truly so cruel at heart. After years of being sold, she'd lost faith. But this one... this one had proved her wrong. He'd protected her since they'd met, supplied her with food and clothes and shelter, offered to travel the country with her to find her parents, and then lost an arm protecting the man that his old love had left him for. He'd expected nothing in return, all the while.

The general felt a gentle tap on his shoulder. His head turned from the fire to Elizabeth. Her heart face wore a smile, and her honey eyes sparkled in the blaze. Her body language marked her as timid. Still, she dared hold out the small hand that wasn't embracing Sunny to the general.

He glanced down at it, puzzled for a second at the implication. He looked back up at her for a few painful seconds, and he watched her second guess herself. It was when she nervously started drawing her offered hand back in a little at a time, and when her face flushed with color, that he understood. Without another thought, he grasped her hand with his own.

His own face colored for a moment when her slender fingers intertwined with his larger ones. Like that, their hands rested on the space between them. They kept like that, but they broke eye contact. All the while, both of them wondered at the inference of the surprise interaction. Neither of them were truly ready for the contact to be amorous. Zayn was still mending his heart, and Elizabeth was still mending her soul.

Still, neither moved away. Their hands remained interwoven, even if they couldn't look at each other right at that particular moment.

Every so often, someone would look for Rhalla. She was sure taking her time. For a moment, everyone wondered if she'd actually show up. Then, there were footsteps. Everyone's eyes snapped up to about five guardians. Three of them carried a barrel, while the other two carried a considerable amount of mugs. While none of them were Rhalla, Iris knew already that this was absolutely her sister's doing. She knew what was in that barrel.

"What's that?" Lelandra was the one to ask.

"A present," one of the guardians answered. "Courtesy of Guardian Master Rhalla."

"Is that..." Elliot had to ask.

"If your next words are 'a copious amount of alcohol'," Dane snorted. "Then you'd be guessing right, I imagine."

Azabela sighed, exasperated. "That woman is going to kill her brain one day with that stuff, I swear it."

Lelandra looked shaken. "Are ladies supposed to drink that stuff? The baron told us it was poisonous for girls."

Brawler snorted. "Rhalla's no lady," he said. "Still, it's not poisonous like you're probably thinkin'. It ain't gonna make ye fall out and die. It makes yer head all fuzzy, and you're insides feel good in moderation. Makes ye really happy. Makes ye forget all the bad things for a while, if ye do it right. Even helps some people sleep."

Lelandra tilted her head. "What does it taste like?"

"Like shit," Brawler said with a snort. "Want some?"

She nodded a little too quickly. "Absolutely."

"Get ye some," he said. "Unless yer pregnant now. That stuff is dangerous to babies. I hear Sorella's been testin' all ye lasses for tha' since ye got out."

"I'm not pregnant," Lelandra said. "The medic tested me earlier to make sure, but I knew it regardless. After thirty years of age, the baron gave us a drink to prevent having children -due to increased risk of childbirth being lethal. I didn't miss my bleeding this moon, either. I'm fine."

"Then drink up."

"How could Sorella tell you that?" Iris asked, looking intrigued. "I thought it was impossible to truly prove, other than the obvious symptoms."

"It's not perfect," Azabela piped up, knowledgeable on the subject. "But if you've missed a bleeding or suspect, it helps support the theory. It's kind of gross though. You piss on a herring leaf and stick it in water concentrated with strong-bark moss and crushed mint. Then you wait an hour. If it does nothing, you're not with child... but if the water turns orange... then congratulations, bucko and little bucko. Sorella figured that out about trick years ago. Been proven most times. Not all. Gives about an accurate eight out of ten, thus far. Usually it has to be compared with other symptoms to accurately identify."

Iris nodded, taking a very long moment. It was almost too long. "Well. The more you know. Hopefully it helps the women. Is that how my sister was...? Wait, never mind. You found her during labor. I suppose that's ample enough proof."

Azabela chuckled. "No, we didn't need it for Rhalla. But Rhalla has still seen it work herself."

"An' speakin' o' the devil," Brawler interjected. "Look at who finally decided to join us."

Everyone turned their head to a new visitor. Rhalla Gwenneth stopped just short of them, thick heels clicking. Her eyes immediately found her parents, who now surveyed her -all six foot four of her. She looked more like Iris was used to, now that she was out of her armor. Her floppy hair now fell around her face.

Pocketed, baggier pants disappeared into her customary shit-stomper boots. She wore a plain, sleeveless tunic tucked into her belt. It was tight enough to see the rippling musculature of her abdomen. Her tattooed arms and shoulders were bare, showing off the broadness of her deltoids, the boulders of her biceps, and the cut of her forearms.

Irila immediately stood. And stopped in her tracks. For a moment, she met her daughter's eyes. Rhalla heaved a breath and then held it in. Everybody seemed to hold their breath as Irila Gwenneth witnessed the entirety of her daughter. Slowly, Irila advanced. Her steps were slow. Her hand reached out gently.

Rhalla stood still as her mother took it all in. Irila prodded her hard stomach with furrowed brows. She withdrew her hand quickly, as if she'd been stunned at the resistance. Hench just let her do as she would. After a second, Irila's hand came in again. This time, it gently stroked along the curve of Rhalla's arm, her fingers traced the tattoos all the way down. Finally, both Irila's hands grabbed her daughter's. Rhalla watched as Irila lifted them to her eyes. Her mother mouthed the words on Rhalla's knuckles to herself.

Hench's hands were dropped back to her sides. Irila looked back up at Rhalla's face. Another caress from her mother pushed the locks from the guardian master's eyes -a finger ran over the jewelry in her eyebrow. The other hand finally came up, and Irila held Hench's face in her grasp. A slow, temperate smile lit up Irila's face. A single tear poured down her cheek. Then, she jumped, throwing her arms around her daughter's neck.

Rhalla reacted immediately, catching her mother's waist midair and pulling her into her torso. Irila hardly weighed anything. With a spin, Rhalla turned the embrace into the appropriate bear hug before squatting and setting Irila back on her feet. They stayed, arms wrapped around each other, Irila sobbing into her daughter's neck for a minute. There wasn't a soul at the campsite that didn't sport a sizable lump in their throat by now.

Finally, they let go.

"I admit," Irila finally said. "After all these years... You're not what quite what I expected to find." Then, she stood on her tiptoes to kiss Rhalla's cheek. "You're not the Cricket girl I remember. But you're still you. You're still the baby girl I brought into this world. You're still the baby girl I lost. You're still one of the two girls that I never stopped loving ever -the daughter I never stopped thinking about. I still can't believe... that you're real. That you're here... that I get to know you. That you're alive."

Rhalla let out a husky laugh, containing the crushing wave of happiness inside of her. Her heart was full to bursting. "It takes a whole lot to kill me."

"Kid," came her father's voice from behind them. "Come here."

Irila brushed Hench's hair away one more time before stepping out of her way.

Rhalla walked to stand at Elliot's feet. He gave her another once over and said, "My knee's not as good as it used to me. Help me up, if you're strong enough." It was very obviously a joke. With a snort, Hench held her hand to her father. He took her by the elbow and she pulled him up with ease.

He couldn't help but grin. "And I used to call you noodle-arms." He nodded and motioned to her bicep. "Flex."

Hench suddenly looked supremely conscious of all their company watching the reunion. Elliot noticed it. "Look at that face. With muscles like that, you can't possibly be bashful. Come on, girl, do your father proud. Flex." He flicked her on the arm.

Rhalla smirked and rolled her eyes.

"Now ye gotta show your pop, Hench," Brawler chastised from the side. "Ye ain't got no problem showin' anyone else."

She snapped her eyes over to her friend, sending him that dark look that Iris knew oh too well. She finally nodded and looked off, and then she tensed her bicep as told.

Elliot clasped it, finding her arm completely rigid under his touch. 'Gods damn." He didn't mean to say that, even under his breath... but it was the only words that could accurately portray his opinion. "This took work. Lots of it," he commented. Rhalla released her fist. "At my best, you still would've put me to shame."

"Aye," Hench commented. "Took me a long time."

His eyes glistened with an odd sort of pride. Then, he hugged her. "Never thought I'd have a daughter that had me questioning my masculinity." He pulled away. "I'm not disappointed."

Hench let out a robust laugh. "That's good to hear."

"Ah, but you still got your mother's smile and eyelashes," he chuckled. "I suppose that will have to be enough to pad my pride." That was another joke. Suddenly, it was like the two never lost touch. He kissed her cheek as well, and his eyes were full of love. His next words wavered, betraying his strong front. "I look forward to having you around again, kiddo."

"Me too, dad. Me too." Rhalla grinned. "For now, let's get you back sat down. We'll have drinks, if you want one. Catch up."

Elliot hadn't really drank since before Rhalla was even born. For her tonight, though, he took a mug. Most everyone did. Iris decided not to partake in it this time with a gesture. The mighty woman just nodded before moving on. Rhalla served everyone that wanted any. Then, she even poured a small glass and held it out to her son. "Here."

Dane looked surprised and shifted the very much asleep Lissa into one arm. "I couldn't possibly."

Hench patted the thick scruff that had grown in on his face. "You got a beard, kid. You even joined in the battle at the beginning -you risked your neck. You're just about a grown man now, as much as I hate it," She handed it out with a twinkle in her eyes. "It's not much. I'll let you live a little -but only a little."

With an unsure hand, he grasped it. "Some people might not approve of your parenting methods."

Rhalla snorted. "To hell with them, you're not their kid. You're mine." She looked to the huntress. "And hers. Speak now, Bela, or forever hold your peace."

The huntress just grinned wickedly. "I hope it knocks him out."

Dane dared one gulp. He coughed as it went down, making everybody laugh.

Hench looked to Oletta, her new daughter. "Now you're not old enough for this stuff yet. But I did bring something for both you and your sister. Come here."

Oletta did as her mother bade. When she got close enough, Rhalla knelt and handed her a wrapped treat. It was full of sugar, with absolutely no nutritional value, but all the same, she gave it. "This one's for you," Rhalla said. Oletta took it and her face spread into a smile. Rhalla handed another one to her. "This one's for your sister, when she wakes up. I'm trusting you not to eat both of them."

"Even when my other mother was alive," Oletta whispered. "She never gave me anything. She never disciplined me. And then... the baron was worse." The child's body shuddered.

Rhalla dared kiss Oletta on the brow, drawing her from the horrible memories. "Eat your treat, child. When we're all done, I'll bring you to my tent and you'll sleep."

Lissa finally stirred for a little bit at her sister's voice. "Mom?" she whispered, and opened an eye to see Rhalla. When she did, she wiped her eyes with little hands and rolled from Dane's lap. "Did you say sleep, mama?" She walked over to Rhalla's legs and held on. Her hair was nappy from where she'd been laying on Dane. Suddenly, the mood flipped on its head. "Can I go to bed?"

Rhalla picked up Lissa. "If you want to, sweetheart. But I got you a treat. Do you want it before you sleep?"

"Not before I sleep," Lissa whispered. "Can you sing to me? I always wanted someone to sing me to sleep."

Rhalla knelt right down to the ground and sat cross-legged. She shifted Lissa into cradled arms. "I think I can do that."

Silence fell over the camp. Everyone around drank slowly from their mugs, peaceful. Oletta nibbled on her treat, watching her tiny sister with joy. Without a moment's pause, everyone watched as Hench went from tough badass to something entirely different. She curled Lissa tightly in her arms and started singing a soft melody -one Irila recognized. One Dane recognized from his childhood.

Rhalla's voice was low and beautiful, gliding over the lyrics until the girl snored soundly in her arms. Brawler and Cane were very surprised at the change in their friend, but decided to keep quiet about it for now.

"You still sing," Lelandra whispered once Hench stopped.

Rhalla chuckled. "Sometimes."

"Your voice is stunning," said Cane, equally as quiet. "You should sing more often."

"Thanks." The guardian master gave Cane a genuine smile. Brawler was the only one to notice how the secretary still looked at her. Gods, he was a goner.

After that, Dane finished the little in his mug and then carried both girls off to where they'd sleep. For the next hour, everyone started talking again.

Midnight was the time of Master Dyran's funeral. They all got to know each other until it was time to start preparing the pyre for his body.

Despite the coming funeral, it was a good night. They laughed. They joked. Irila and Elliot finally got to get to know the daughter they'd lost years prior. They also got to meet Cricket's friends at the estate - they got to learn of her escape. They got to thank Elizabeth for her involvement.

The world was good indeed.

For most.

As Kayde and Rhalla finally got up and left to prepare for Dyran's send off, there was only one heart left unexpectedly uneasy. From around the campfire, people started leaving... one by one, to prepare themselves. They trickled off to go to their tents and freshen themselves up the best they could out of respect for the late guardian master. Even Iris's parents went.

At the end, only Iris and Azabela were left.

When they were truly alone, the archer started talking. "You know, I couldn't help but notice you were surprisingly quiet tonight after a certain point," the huntress mused. "You didn't even get Kayde to speak his Soromese to you. Judging by what Rhalla's told me of your curious personality, that's odd."

"There were a lot of people talking," Iris said. It was true, but not entirely.

"You've got something on your mind all of the sudden." Azabela's gaze tore through Iris. "All out of the blue. Like in the blink of an eye, something all the sudden went askew, and you saw it. You didn't even join the drinking fun. It all started right around when that panther started sniffing at you -perhaps a few minutes after. It was interesting how Nightingale treated you, wasn't it?"

Iris shrugged. "It's nothing."

"Is it?" Azabela walked over to the rogue. "You know, Iris, I wanted to go with Rhalla when she left. But I stayed because I felt like I needed to ask you something."

Iris chuckled. "Then ask."

"Is there something I can do for you?" Azabela asked, being completely serious. "Is there something I can maybe... get for you? Make for you?"

Iris grunted. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I do," Azabela said, being vague in case there were still listening ears somewhere. "I think you might need to check on something. Something I might can help you check on. Am I correct?"

Iris swallowed and simply asked. "Where do I go?"

Azabela looked concerned. "Right out in the woods. Ten minutes."

A/N -- Okay, LONG CHAPTER. I just about split it into two, but decided against it because there really was no good place to split it off. But I guess that's what happens when fifteen frickin' people gather around a campfire. Couple big things happened, but there was a lot of calm-down within (hopefully it didn't completely bore you guys). I wanted to really give you guys a breather, and give you guys the good feels after the shit-hole I put you all through. Hope you enjoyed this 6000 word colossus! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

FOUR MORE TO GO (plus a small epilogue) and it's all finished!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 685 42
They fear us because we are different. They fear us because we have special powers, because the goddess gave us gifts. The goddess gave us these powe...
7.3K 202 23
Have you ever had one of those terrible yet annoyingly pivotal moments? You know, that monumental fragment of time that flips everything you have ev...
1.3K 211 49
Getting banned from your village is one thing. But carrying your mother's murder as the last memory you've had in it, is another thing. [] [] [] Fel...
2.1K 110 86
"One's life can change in an instant...I never thought it would happen to us." Book One - Timeline 6 18 5 5 4 15 13 Volume 1 | Phoenix | Chapters 1...