Regrets and Mistakes

By murphyyy_xo

Secrets are meant to be kept secret, but some manage to surface. Unfortunately this has happened to Christen... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - one
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Four
THE SEQUEL

Twenty - Two

3.7K 63 4
By murphyyy_xo

Lucy's POV
I opened the car door for her and she got in. I walked to my side and got in and started the car. I reached over and put my hand on her thigh and rubbed my thumb over it softly.

"Where to?"
"The hotel. I've gotta say goodbye."
"Do you want to me to stay with you?"

I stopped at a red light and turned my head to look at her. She took my hand that was on her thigh up to her mouth and kissed the back of it. I smiled at her.

"Yes please."

I chuckled at her as she blushed. The light turned green and I began driving again. I parked the car in the same spot as yesterday and turned it off. They were all standing outside the hotel with their bags.

"Cmon."

We both got out and I locked the car. We crossed the road and Ashlyn was the first to see us. She walked to us and hugged Rachel and shook my hand.

Alex motioned for me to follow her so I did. We walked away from the group but not far.

"So, you're probably wondering why we're here."
"Just a little. Is everything alright?"
"I approve of you and Rachel's relationship. I really do."
"But?"
"She just turned 17. Technically it's illegal but I really don't want you guys to break up. You're right for each other. Soulmates even. The reason I'm worried about this is because of you."
"Me? Why me?"
"Lucy, you could lose your job. Even get arrested for it."
"So you're saying I should break up with her?"
"No! Not at all. God Lucy not a hope would I ever leave you two breakup. The two of you are perfect for each other. Chris and I really like you Lucy and we trust you to look after our daughter. It's just the reason I'm being this up is because I don't want either of you getting hurt. The world is a cruel place Lucy and I'd hate for either of you to get hurt."
"What are you suggesting?"
"Keeping your relationship out of the public eye. Just until she's 18 and you won't get arrest."
"We made a promise that we'd take it slow. We only started dating, officially, yesterday. I know what I'm doing is illegal but Alex, I love your daughter. I love Rachel. Man, I can't believe I actually told her mother that before her."

Alex and I both chuckled. She put her hand on my shoulder and I looked her in the eyes.

"That took a lot to say out loud, not only to me, but to you. Didn't it?"
"A lot easier than I thought but I love your daughter Alex. With saying that, I know now that I've to be protective of her and not let anyone whisk her away. She's mine now and, if she'll let, she will be until death do us part."

Alex caught me off guard by hugging me. I chuckled softly and hugged her back and putted her back.

"Please don't hurt her."
"Don't plan on it Miss Morgan."
"Oh god, now I feel old."
"That's what having kids do to you."
"You'll have them soon too and I'll be the one saying this to you Bronze. Besides, they'll be forwards so they'll be tough."
"My daughter will be a solid left back and learn from the best."
"Oh really and who's that?"
"Ali Krieger of course."

She laughed out loud and a few turned their heads to look at us and I shook my head in embarrassment but also laughed softly. I felt arms wrap around my waist and leaned into them.

"What are you two talking about?"
"Just friendly competition. No biggie."
"No biggie? When have you ever said that?"
"I don't know. Oh god I'm getting old. Christen, we're going to be horrible grandparents!"

I felt Rachel freeze as Alex walked away. She dropped her hands and I turned to face her. She was deep in thought so I stood still for a second.

"Grandkids? She wants grandkids. Kids are a big deal. Like, a really big deal Lucy. They're small human beings who need attention 24/7 and all they do is cry and throw tantrums a-"
"You don't want kids?"
"I'm still a kid Lucy! Of course I don't want kids. That's everyone's reaction at my age. Once I have a kid I've responsibilities that I never knew I was meant to have. I'm not ready for kids."
"Who said anything about us having kids so soon? Rachel you're seventeen. I'm 25 and I'm finally at a place in my career where I'm happy. I'm a started for my club and country, I've got a bronze medal in a World Cup, I've got medals from all the big leagues and now I've got an incredibly hot girlfriend. Sorry for the inappropriate use language in front of your family."

I looked passed Rachel and saw them all looking at us worryingly. Alex mouthed an apology so I smiled sadly at her before looking at Rachel.

"I promised you we would take things slow. It was a mutual agreement and I'm respecting your wishes."
"Lucy, do you want kids?"
"I don't know. Yes. No. Maybe. I'm not sure."
"Answer the question Lucy."
"Yes. I want kids. I love you Rachel and I want to spend the rest of my life living you. I see a future with you. I see kids running around our house that you insisted on buying because of the big kitchen and garden where we can teach our kids to place soccer. I see myself waking up next to you every morning and fall in love with you all over again like the moment we first met. I-"
"I love you too."

I looked at her and my smile grew bigger. She looked up at me and she smiled. I shook my head trying to process it and it made her giggle.

"Really? You meant it?"
"I mean it. I'm in love with you Lucia Bronze and I want to have a future with you."

I closed the gap between us and picked her up and spun her around all while hugging her. She giggled and held on tight. I finally put her down and our foreheads pressed against each other.

"Kiss her. God you English people are so slow."

We both pulled apart and chuckled when we saw Ashlyn and Hope both hit Megan across the head. I turned my gaze to Rachel and admired her while she looked back at Megan. She slowly turned her head and blushed when she saw me staring at her. I closed the gap between us and captured her lips in mine. The cheers from the girls erupted and we both smiled. We broke apart but I stole one last kiss causing her smile to grow bigger. She kept her eyes closed and she pressed our foreheads together. Her hands were in my hair and she rubbed my head softly.

"So much for taking things slow, huh?"
"Life with you is never going to be slow. I'm sorry to do this to you but we're in public and I don't want to be caught but I promise you we'll continue this later after dinner."
"I'll hold you to it."
"Fine by me. Now, let's got say goodbye so I can take you back to training before we're both have to run extra laps."

We pulled apart and walked back to the girls separately. I shook hands with Hope, Zach and Ashlyn. I hugged the rest of the girls and wished them a safe flight. I stood by Rachel as she said goodbye to her mother's. I hugged Alex and then stood in front of Christen.

"It was nice to officially meet you Lucy."
"You too Christen. I hope you have a nice flight back to the states."
"I will. Take care of my baby for me."
"Yes ma'am."

She hugged me and squeezed tight. She let go and I stood back so Rachel could say goodbye. I stood away from them and felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned my head to see Kelley.

"Didn't go as bad as you thought huh?"
"Nowhere close. It was eventful and full of surprises."
"Well it must be a first for someone to admit they love someone, in front of that persons mother."
"Not my finest moment."

She playfully shoved me and we both laughed. Hope came over and wrapped her arms around Kelley's waist and it made me smile.

"You guys are cute together."
"If I told you that our story is similar to yours would you believe me?"
"Seriously? How so?"
"I'm 35."
"I'm 28. Hope and I haven't come out to the public yet, although there are speculations. We're engaged and living everyday to its fullest. One day you and Rachel will have what we have. Age is just a number Lucy. You can't prepare yourself for stuff life throws at you. My point is, is that no matter how difficult things get just remember there's light at the end of tunnel. Only if you're willing to go the full way."
"Thank you. This really helps me. I should really be by her side while you guys leave, so if you'll excuse me."
"Sure. And Bronze?"
"Yeah."
"Hurt her and we'll hunt you down."
"Wouldn't want it any other way Solo."

I shook her hand one last time and walked over to Rachel. She finally let go of Alex and Christen and wiped her eyes. Their taxi's just pulled up and they started putting their bags into their cars. Carli came over and hugged me.

"I'm proud of you Bronze."
"Thanks for everything Carli. I don't either of us wouldn't admitted our feelings without you."
"It's no problem. Just take good care of her for me."
"I will. I promise you I will."

They all got into their taxi's and waved. I put my arm around Rachel's waist and waved with my other one. Rachel put her head on my shoulder and waved as well. As they drove away Rachel started crying again. I wrapped my other arm around her and held her close.

"C'mon."

I led her across the street to my car and made sure she was in her seatbelt before closing the door. I walked to my side and got in. I pulled out my phone and saw I had a missed call from Steph. I pressed call and brought the phone up to my ear. She answered on the third ring. I turned on the car and the call connected to the Bluetooth so I put the phone in the cup holder and reversed.

Steph; Oh thank god I reached you. Are you in town by any chance?
Me; Yeah. What do you need?
Steph; Can you pick me up a bag of frozen vegetables and two ice cream cake things?
Me; Sure, no problem. I'll be over in twenty minutes.
Steph; Have you heard from Rachel? I would've thought she'd text or call by now to let me know what's going on.
Me; Yeah. She's with me here. I'll drop her off after I grab the stuff.
Steph; Why is she with you? Did she text you? Is she okay?
Me; Steph, she's fine. She's alive and she's breathing. I'll explain everything once we get to yours. I've gotta go. The police are around.
Steph; Okay. Drive safe.

I hung up and stopped at the red light. I turned my head to look at Rach and sighed when she had her head against the window. I looked back at the light and started driving again. I reached across and took one of her hands in mine. I brought it over and kissed the back of it and she turned her head and smiled sadly at me.

"Don't shut me out, okay? We'll get through this together."
"Thank you."

I looked at her for a split second and smiled at her. I turned into Tesco's car park and parked the car.

"You coming in?"
"Nah, I think I'll stay here."
"Okay. I'll be a second. I'll leave the car running."

I made sure the car was in park and grabbed my purse and phone and got out. I walked in and went straight for the freezers.

Rachel's POV
We pulled up in front of Steph's house twenty minutes later and there was another car there. I grabbed my gear bag out of the back of Lucy's car and then walked to her side as we walked to the door.

"Who's car is that?"
"Stephen's. Steph's boyfriend."
"Ah, so I'll get to meet the boyfriend today."
"Yes."

I chuckled and opened the front door. I heard music from the kitchen and smiled. I set my keys into the key bowl and opened the door wider for Lucy with the groceries.

"We're home."

I closed the door after Lucy and set my gear bag at the bottom of the stairs. The kitchen door opened and Steph came out. She walked over to me and hugged me.

"Oh I was so worried you didn't call."
"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were expecting one. I didn't want to disturb your afternoon."
"Hey, you're like a little sister to me. I'm always gonna worry about you. Even if you're halfway across the world."

I chucked and hugged her back tight. She let go and turned to Lucy and thanked her so many times.

"I'm going to go get changed for training. I'll be down in twenty."
"We leave in an hour so take your time. I set a list of what you need on your bed.
Oh, and nick gave me your training gear so their on the bed as well."
"Thank you."

I picked up my bag and ran up the stairs to my room. I emptied it and put my dirty clothes in the hamper. I picked up the list and smiled. I gathered everything from all my different bags and closets and I was finally done. The only thing I needed now were my cleats. I walked to the side of my bed and knelt down. I pulled out my adidas box and smiled. I opened it and looked at the boots. Becky recommended them to me so I got them.

I frowned at the thought of earlier and saying goodbye but then I heard laughing from downstairs and it made me smile. I got an amazing roommate who's like a big sister to me and an incredibly kind, caring and loving girlfriend.

I put my cleats into the bag and closed it. I changed into my new shorts and training t-shirt. I walked over to the mirror and looked at myself in it.

"It suits you."
"Well it's home for the next five years."
"Are you excited about it?"
"I can't wait."

I smiled at Steph through the mirror as she leaned against the doorframe. She pushed herself off it and smiled and turned.

"Wait, Steph."
"Yeah?"
"Uh, it's nothing. Never mind."
"You sure?"
"Yeah. Sorry."

She looked at me worryingly but I smiled, falsely, back at her. She walked out and closed the door behind her. I sighed and put my head in my hands. I jumped when my phone began to ring. I walked over to it and saw an unknown number. I answered it and brought the phone up to my ear and heard the gun shots and explosions and it made me smile.

Me; Uncle J..
Uncle Jason; Oh princess. I'm glad I got you. I miss you so much.
Me; I miss you too. How come you're still on tour? I thought you were moving home?
Uncle Jason; That was the plan but I couldn't bring myself to it so I made it a career. I'm going to be here for a while now seeing as I've no one to go home to.
Me; What do you mean? What about Theo?
Uncle Jason; You didn't hear? Theo and Marjorie expanded the business and are traveling around the states. He said he text you but no response.
Me; I didn't see a text from him. I'll look at it after. You know uncle J, if you ever did want to get away from there for a while you could always come here to me. I'm moving into my own place in a few weeks.
Uncle Jason; I don't want to be a burden princess. Besides, I don't think I can leave here anytime soon.
Me; How so?
Uncle Jason; I became the commander in chief here. I'm over everything. I can't just pack up and leave anymore. I've another year before I can't anything like that.
Me; Oh my god Jason! That's huge. Congratulations. I'm so proud of you.
Uncle Jason; Thank you princess. So, tell me, how's Manchester treating you?
Me; Jas, it's amazing here. They're all so nice and they're like one big family. The mother's approve of them so that's great. I've to finish my last school year here so I'm only part time with City but then after school I'll be playing full time.
Uncle Jason; I'm glad you're putting your studies first. At least you'll have a fall back plan if something was to go wrong. I'm so proud of you Rach. You deserve this after everything you've been through  this past.
Me; Thanks Jas. Hey, if you're ever around for a game just call and I'll give you tickets.

I heard Steph calling my name. I stood up and walked over to my gear bag and closed it with one hand and held my phone in the other. I quickly put on my runners and grabbed my training half zip. I put the strap of my gear bag on my shoulder and walked out.

Uncle Jason; I'll be sure to make one in the next year. So, any boyfriend or girlfriend that I have to kill once I meet them?
Me; I don't think you'll need to kill her. She's incredibly caring and is always there for me. She lives here in Manchester and we're teammates. I hope you get to meet her one day.

I walked down the stairs and saw Lucy and Steph standing by the kitchen door talking to a man. I smiled and turned my back to them as I sat on the last step.

Uncle Jason; Well then that makes my list to visit longer then.
Me; Of course I'm going to be the main reason you visit.
Uncle Jason; Uhm no. Obviously it's for the tea and crumpets.
Me; Asshole.
Uncle Jason; But I'm your asshole of an uncle who loves you dearly but not as much as crumpets.
Me; What do I even see in you to keep you in my life?
Uncle Jason; Hey, I'll have you know that I'm very lovable so in your face.
Me; You're so childish. How are you even in charge over there?
Uncle Jason; I ask myself that as well.
Me; Those poor innocent people. Listen Jas, I've to go to training. Same time tomorrow?
Uncle Jason; Better pick up the phone this time.
Me; Hey! It was an unknown number. You always thought me to never pick up unknown numbers so technically it's your fault.
Uncle Jason; Sassy little thing aren't you. I'll call you the same time tomorrow so princess. I love you.
Me; I love you too Jas. Talk to you tomorrow.

I hung up and my smile turned into a frown. I sighed and put my phone into my bag and stood up. Lucy was looking at me sadly and Steph was smiling.

"Rachel, this is Stephen, my boyfriend. Stephen this is Rachel, my roommate/little sister."

Stephen stepped out and stuck out his hand. I looked at him and smiled before shaking his hand.

"Nice to finally meet you Rachel. I've heard a lot about you in the news."
"Nice to meet you too Stephen. All good things I hope."

He chuckled and shook his head yes. He walked back into the kitchen and Steph followed him. I walked to Lucy but she wouldn't look at me. She walked away into the kitchen and I stood there in confusion.

"So Stephen is going to make the dinner while we train so it'll be finished by the time they all arrive. I've got to head to training now to speak with Nick so you can either come with me now and or with Lucy after she changes at her house."
"I'll go with you, if you don't mind. I want to look at the fields before playing."
"Sure. Let me go get my bag and we'll leave."

I nodded and she walked out. I looked at Lucy and sighed. I walked out and grabbed my bag again and put my half zip on my arm to carry it. Steph came running back down the stairs with her keys and bag.

"See you later babe. See you at training Lucy."
"Bye."

I followed her out to the car and put my bag in the bag. I got into the front seat and Steph reversed out of the driveway. The drive was silent except for the radio playing but then Steph turned it down and turned to look at me for a second before looking back at the road.

"I didn't mean to eavesdrop or anything but who's Jason?"
"So that's why Lucy wouldn't look at me. It's a long story but Jason's my uncle. Kind of. Well, not really anymore. It's a story for another time."
"You're full of surprises Miss Press and one of these days I'll get you to open up to me and tell me them."
"If I let you in, promise me you won't tell my mom or anyone about them. I don't like people trying to force me open and get me to tell them my secrets."

We pulled up into the car park and Steph turned off the car. She turned to face me but I didn't look at her. She reached over and took my hands in hers and I looked up at her slowly.

"I promise you that I won't hurt you in any form. I'm here for you at any moment of the day and I hope you know that I really mean it. Your mom told me a lot about you and how you go into shut down mode. Rachel, whatever happens, don't shut me out. I know that's what they all say but we all care about you. If you don't want to open up to me that's completely fine but there are nearly thirty other girls on this team who are going to be there for you. You might not necessarily trust most of them but there are others."
"Who do you talk to? Who do you trust most to talk to?"
"Okay, don't laugh at this but Jill. We don't exactly see eye to eye all the time but she's someone who I got to if I'm ever lost. I talk to Demi and Lucy a lot too but Jill is my go-to. I'm hers as well. It's just our bond. I know we're all like motherly figures to you but if you ever felt like opening up to one of the girls, go for one of the older ones. Izzy is pretty reliable too but Izzy is Izzy."

I chuckled at that. It was true though. izzy does what Izzy does. She's her own bubbly character but I can read her like an open book and I know she struggles just as much as I do.

"What else did my mom tell you?"
"Am, soccer is your escape for everything. If there's something wrong you full on focus at training and destroy the other players. Everyone knows not to go near or interfere with you. It's like an aura that radiates you. You have it now so we're going to stop talking now and I'm going to show you the field and you can get an early start for training."
"You can read me very well. How is that? No one has ever been able to read me before."

We both got out of the car and grabbed our bags. I walked back to her side and she wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we walked into the facility.

"Someone close to you gave me some advice."

She led me out to the training fields and I smiled. Nick was standing on the edge of one of them with the other trainers talking. They all smiled when they saw us.

"Ah Rachel, welcome to your first training here."
"Thank you."
"The rest of the early girls will be here in a few minutes so go grab a ball and kick around."
"Yes sir."

I walked to the side and changed into my cleats. I tied my laces and put my runners back into my bag and jogged to get a ball. I kicked it up to myself and started juggling. I looked around for the closet goals and saw I was about halfway between both. I dropped the ball and gathered about six others and lived them up in a line. I walked up the first ball and closed my eyes. Now it's just me, the ball and the goals. No sounds except for my heart beating and my breathing. I took six step back and three to the right because I left legged.

I ran straight at the ball and breathed out as my foot connected with the ball. I watched as it soared through the sky and curved into the left top corner. I did the same process for the other four and decided to mix it up the last one. I decided to try volley it. I kicked it up and juggled between both feet until I was confident.

Lucy's POV
We all stared at Rachel in awe as the struck the balls all into the top left corner every time.

"She's gonna volley it. I'll be seriously impressed if she got it in as well."
"Nick are you watching this!"

The camera crew have been recording her and got all her shots by now. When Rachel wasn't watching KB slipped into goals and prepared herself. We watched as she kicked the ball higher and kicked it right at the goals. It was like everything happened in slow motion. KB jumped for right top corner just as the ball came flying at her. She jumped too soon and the ball brushed the tips of her gloves and into the back of net.

We all stood there, too shocked to move. Rachel looked at us and froze when she realised we were all there watching her. Izzy was the first to run at her and screamed. KB jogged towards her as well and then we all walked over to her.

"That was incredible. How did you do that? You gotta teach me how to do that."
"Alright girls, time for work. Great work Rachel."

The girls all congratulated her and she smiled. I smiled at her and then we split into groups for the scrimmage. We stretched after been given our coloured vests and were with our team. Rachel and I were on different teams so Steph and I have to watch her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411K 7.3K 52
Sage is 17 and her life has taken a turn for the worse ever since she lost her father. Her mother has become abusive and hasn't let Sage out of the h...
29.2K 515 22
One girl and 12 brothers. How does she keep the secret of being raped? Not only that but the rapist was her boyfriend and her brother best friend. Wi...
12.3K 704 28
"The real game begins here." Yang y/n was living with her mom after her father's death. Until one day, her mother decided to marry a guy she fell in...
8K 315 18
hi everyone this is my first story and plus english is not my mother tongue so sorry for the grammatical mistakes and the spelling mistakes I hope...