Twenty - Two

Lucy's POV
I opened the car door for her and she got in. I walked to my side and got in and started the car. I reached over and put my hand on her thigh and rubbed my thumb over it softly.

"Where to?"
"The hotel. I've gotta say goodbye."
"Do you want to me to stay with you?"

I stopped at a red light and turned my head to look at her. She took my hand that was on her thigh up to her mouth and kissed the back of it. I smiled at her.

"Yes please."

I chuckled at her as she blushed. The light turned green and I began driving again. I parked the car in the same spot as yesterday and turned it off. They were all standing outside the hotel with their bags.

"Cmon."

We both got out and I locked the car. We crossed the road and Ashlyn was the first to see us. She walked to us and hugged Rachel and shook my hand.

Alex motioned for me to follow her so I did. We walked away from the group but not far.

"So, you're probably wondering why we're here."
"Just a little. Is everything alright?"
"I approve of you and Rachel's relationship. I really do."
"But?"
"She just turned 17. Technically it's illegal but I really don't want you guys to break up. You're right for each other. Soulmates even. The reason I'm worried about this is because of you."
"Me? Why me?"
"Lucy, you could lose your job. Even get arrested for it."
"So you're saying I should break up with her?"
"No! Not at all. God Lucy not a hope would I ever leave you two breakup. The two of you are perfect for each other. Chris and I really like you Lucy and we trust you to look after our daughter. It's just the reason I'm being this up is because I don't want either of you getting hurt. The world is a cruel place Lucy and I'd hate for either of you to get hurt."
"What are you suggesting?"
"Keeping your relationship out of the public eye. Just until she's 18 and you won't get arrest."
"We made a promise that we'd take it slow. We only started dating, officially, yesterday. I know what I'm doing is illegal but Alex, I love your daughter. I love Rachel. Man, I can't believe I actually told her mother that before her."

Alex and I both chuckled. She put her hand on my shoulder and I looked her in the eyes.

"That took a lot to say out loud, not only to me, but to you. Didn't it?"
"A lot easier than I thought but I love your daughter Alex. With saying that, I know now that I've to be protective of her and not let anyone whisk her away. She's mine now and, if she'll let, she will be until death do us part."

Alex caught me off guard by hugging me. I chuckled softly and hugged her back and putted her back.

"Please don't hurt her."
"Don't plan on it Miss Morgan."
"Oh god, now I feel old."
"That's what having kids do to you."
"You'll have them soon too and I'll be the one saying this to you Bronze. Besides, they'll be forwards so they'll be tough."
"My daughter will be a solid left back and learn from the best."
"Oh really and who's that?"
"Ali Krieger of course."

She laughed out loud and a few turned their heads to look at us and I shook my head in embarrassment but also laughed softly. I felt arms wrap around my waist and leaned into them.

"What are you two talking about?"
"Just friendly competition. No biggie."
"No biggie? When have you ever said that?"
"I don't know. Oh god I'm getting old. Christen, we're going to be horrible grandparents!"

I felt Rachel freeze as Alex walked away. She dropped her hands and I turned to face her. She was deep in thought so I stood still for a second.

"Grandkids? She wants grandkids. Kids are a big deal. Like, a really big deal Lucy. They're small human beings who need attention 24/7 and all they do is cry and throw tantrums a-"
"You don't want kids?"
"I'm still a kid Lucy! Of course I don't want kids. That's everyone's reaction at my age. Once I have a kid I've responsibilities that I never knew I was meant to have. I'm not ready for kids."
"Who said anything about us having kids so soon? Rachel you're seventeen. I'm 25 and I'm finally at a place in my career where I'm happy. I'm a started for my club and country, I've got a bronze medal in a World Cup, I've got medals from all the big leagues and now I've got an incredibly hot girlfriend. Sorry for the inappropriate use language in front of your family."