Eleven

Rachel's POV
I had my head on Becky's lap as she ran her fingers through my hair. She was on her phone and I was staring at the ceiling. I felt someone take my hand. I looked down at my hand and slowly traveled up and made eye contact with Carli. There was a knock on the door and we turned our heads. The door opened and mom stepped in and smiled.

"There you two are. The girls are heading to the airport now."
"Thanks Chris. We'll be out in a second."

Mom smiled and walked out, closing the door behind her. I sat up and looked between them both.

"Good luck tomorrow, both of you."
"Who're you going for? Dash or FCKC?"
"Choose wisely kid."
"Red Stars all the way. Sorry ladies."

They chuckled and wrapped me in a group hug.

"See you in a few weeks?"
"Absolutely. You're more than welcome to come for a visit beforehand."
"I've got school now. I've got to work hard from now on to get a good GPA to get into a good college."
"You, my friend, are going to go places. I'll see you at the next game. I love you."
"I love you too Carlos."

Carli got up and walked out of the room. I turned to face Becky and she smiled. She brought her hand up to my cheek and caressed it softly.

"You are exactly like your mom. A smart, brave, confident young woman and I could not be prouder."
"I think I'll miss you most of all Miss Sauerbrunn."
"I know I'll miss you the most Miss Press."

I smiled through the tears and hugged her close. I felt my cheek get wet all of a sudden and I frowned again. Becky pulled away and we both stood up. She wrapped an arm around my shoulder and we walked out of my room and down the hall to where all the girls were standing. Becky walked over to say goodbye to mom and I limped over to Ashlyn, Ali, Tobin, Allie and Alex.

"Are you all leaving as well?"
"Unfortunately yes. We could always take you with us."
"I'd love to but this is my home. I know now no one can take that away from me."

I looked over at mom and smiled. She raised her eyebrows at me and I chucked softly. I turned back to the girls and looked between them all except for Alex.

"Promise me you'll text or call every so often so I know Press hasn't killed you."
"Of course. I'll need to know how bad you lose by."
"You little-"
"Ashlyn Michelle Harris I dare you to finish that sentence."

I chucked at them. Allie turned to me and hugged me close.

"I'll miss you kid."
"I'll miss you too aunt Al. Tell that husband of yours to come with you next time. He owes me an ice cream."
"Of course."

She laughed at me and kissed my cheek. I hugged Tobin next and she picked me up and held me close into her.

"Oh I'll miss you mini Press."
"Mini Press? Really?"
"Yes really."
"Get better soon please. I gotta come to Portland for a reason."
"Deal."

She put my down and we did our handshake. Ali walked up to me next and bent down so she was on my level.

"As a good luck present for starting school Ash and I got you a little something as sort of a good luck charm. We hope you like it."

She handed me a small red box. I looked at her in disbelief and she smiled. I opened it and my smile grew ten times bigger. It was a necklace but on the necklace was a compass. I looked up at Ali and my smile didn't leave my face.

"Thank you. I love it."
"Oh I'm glad. Here, let me put it on."

Ashlyn stepped forward and took the box off me. Ali took the necklace out of the box and I moved my hair out of the way. She wrapped it around my neck.