Shadows of Hope

By MissKYLex

Faith is a regular girl hiding a dark past. She avoids attention in order to maintain a semblance of control... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 7

60 8 68
By MissKYLex

Dedicated to @BrittNLeigh If it weren't for her unwavering support this chapter would have stayed in the hole it was digging for itself. Many thanks!

Chapter 7 Zade's POV

The clank of weights hitting the rack signal I'm near the end of a grueling hour session with Natasha. Wiping my brow with the edge of my gray t-shirt I sneak a peek-ok, maybe the seventh or eighth peek-toward the black clock hanging above the drinking fountain.

Only ten til' 7.  Are the hands moving backwards? A sloth half asleep moves faster.

I run my hand down the side of my face, two-day stubble rubbing like sandpaper against my palm. A quick sniff test indicates I need to splash on some Armani Code before Fatih arrives. 

Taking note of my preoccupation with the time, Natasha smiles mischievously. "I didn't realize I was boring you Mr. Parks. Perhaps a sixth set of burpees would stimulate your enthusiasm." 

"No!" I shake my head emphatically to enunciate my point. My perception of any physical abilities I had thought to possess has been obliterated; legs shaking like a leaf in a thunderstorm; sweat coating me like a second skin.

Burpees are firmly placed in the 'I loathe this' category.

Natasha's phone vibrates from its place by the speakers. I motion for her to answer while I inhale some needed oxygen.  She glances quickly at her messages, her perpetually bright smile quickly morphing into a frown. Her light brows push together high upon her forehead as she bites down hard on her bottom lip. 

"Faith is stuck at work 'till 7:30. She won't be coming in tonight."

I exhale audibly, dissatisfaction leaving a sour aftertaste in my mouth.

"She work late a lot?" I pose the question casually, hoping to mask my disappointment. Natasha shoots me a look full of commiseration as she walks over to me, handing me a towel and my Yeti.

"I've been on her for months to ask for more help in the office but she blows it all off, claiming she will lose her job if she brings up any suggestions for improvement." Natasha scoffs, letting me know precisley how she feels about that excuse.

Joined by Kason, the three of us walk toward the locker rooms, delicately navigating the patrons eager to tell me how much they love Long Way to Eden.

It's 7:10 before I'm dressed and standing at the front desk, confirming my training schedule. I commit to Monday, Wednesday, Friday for the next two months pending any out of town trips I have to make to L.A.

Hitching my sizable gym bag over my left shoulder I turn to leave, only to be stopped by a slim hand gripping my shirt sleeve.

"Do you like Chinese?" Natasha's voice is laced with hesitation although the determined glint in her eyes bores into me.

Shrugging my shoulders I nod once, cautious not to appear bewildered. Natasha has a boyfriend- Andrew or Andy. No wait, Andre. Yeah, that's his name. Natasha said she filled his briefcase with Andes mints once as a joke. I bet those were a hit among his co-workers.

Natasha continues on, undaunted by the lack of emotion in my face. "There's this amazing place called Mr. Fu's on Harley Street. If you are in the mood for some fried rice or egg rolls, well, Faith's office building just happens to be located two blocks East-Bryson and Cage Associates."

My eyes widen a fraction before I grin like a kid whose just met the genie giving away free wishes. "I love Chinese."

Returning my grin, Natasha winks in my direction. "Shrimp fried rice, extra soy sauce." 

"Duly noted." There's a bit of pep in my step as I leave Natasha to greet her next client. Exiting I find Kason leaning against the neon sign alerting patrons to FitNow. Although we both drove tonight-since Kason's off duty at 7-he walks me to my truck, alert for any sign of trouble. 

He opens his driver side door and I toss two twenties in his seat. "I'm headed to Mr. Fu's to pick up dinner. Get something on me."

Kason snatches up the bills and thrusts them in my direction but I am already seated in my truck, doors locked. Shaking his head, he mouths, "on me next time" before getting in and waiting for me to drive away.

Sixteen minutes later I have two to-go bags filled with shrimp and chicken fried rice, egg rolls, and fortune cookies.   Following GPS, I find Faith's office with ease. As I enter into the parking lot I take note that it is poorly lit. Four lampposts create the impression of a square around the edges of building, two of the bulbs burnt out. No cars are parked out front so I drive slowly around the corner of the three story red brick structure.  In the middle of the back lot, two lone cars are parked.

I notice Faith right away and my breath hitches deep in my chest. Involuntarily I grip the steering wheel firmly, conscious of the goosebumps popping up all over my arms. The moonlight reflects off of her dark hair, as if stroking it with its soft glow. She's dressed in a dark colored skirt and jacket combo fitted to highlight her lithe figure.

Her body is partially angled toward her car; instead of in the direction of the towering male standing beside her. As I edge closer, I observe the fake smile which doesn't reach her eyes and the tapping of her fingers against her right leg.

She's uncomfortable but too polite to tell the guy to shove it. This observation strikes a match against my primal flame, creating a combustion of protectiveness and aggression.

My truck pulls to a full stop beside the pair, startling Faith and her companion. The young man appears to be about twenty, sporting that annoying floppy hair surfer boys think is "rad." His baggy khakis and wrinkled white polo hang off his bony frame.

He's got nothin' on me.  Smirking, my millisecond of paranoia subsides. Faith's not interested in him. At. All. 

I shut the engine off and climb out; thoroughly enjoying the mixture of fear and awe cemented on the man's face. Knowing she'll hate the gesture but not caring in the least, I walk over and wrap an arm tightly around her shoulders, leaning down to place a soft kiss at her temple. She stiffens but doesn't make a move to disengage from my hold.

"Sorry I'm late darlin', my session with Natasha ran over." My words compliment my soft tone as I telepathically urge her not to pick now as the perfect time to argue with me.

Raising her left arm, she timidly winds the limb around my back. Viciously, she pinches me in my side before settling her hand against my waist.

"No problem, sugar bear." The smirk in her voice tells me she senses I'm internally wincing. 

Without letting go of my girl, I extend my left hand out, introducing myself, "Zade Parks."

He eyes me up and down briefly before settling on a weak handshake. "Sam, I work with Faith."

A small part of my pride jumps for joy as Sam attempts to mask both jealousy and disappointment.

"Thanks for keeping my girl company but we have dinner plans so..." I trail off, allowing him to acknowledge he's the third wheel right now. Faith growls low in her throat; either at my dinner proclamation or that fact that I'm blowing the guy off.

Sam's Adam's apple bobs up and down rapidly before he stutters,"I, uh, have plans too. So I ah, better get going. I'll, uh, see you tomorrow Faith." Backpedaling quickly, he jumps into his beat-up looking white Camaro, careening out of the parking lot in a cloud of dust and pebbles.

Faith waits just long enough for his taillights to disappear into the night before she springs away, slapping me hard in the chest with both hands.

"What. Was. That?" Her words are punctuated by a scowl to put Oscar The Grouch to shame.

I cover both of her hands with my own, trapping them firmly to my chest. Pausing for a moment, I enjoy the sensation of my heartbeat reverberating against her palms.

"You should be thanking me." I lean marginally closer, head lowering until I am about six inches away from that luscious mouth. It's as close as I dare. "I saved you from having to eat dinner with Ichabod Crane."

Faith tugs against my grip in vain. "His name is Sam and I am perfectly capable of turning down dates."

The camera has caused my smirk to become legendary. Let's see if it can work its magic in real life.

"I'm sure you can darlin' but I'm your superhero remember?" I'm rewarded by the slight softening of her facial features, lips flitting upwards at the corners of her mouth.

"More like a super annoyance."

Arching one eyebrow I ask, "even when I bring your your favorite Chinese?"

Faith eyes me carefully before nodding her head in the direction of my truck. "You have Mr. Fu's shrimp fried rice in your truck?"

Her doubt in my abilities to impress elicits deep laughter on my end. "Even extra soy sauce."

"Traitor" she mutters, referring to her once beloved cousin.

"What do you say we get out of here and go enjoy it before it's cold rice?" No reporter or fan has found us yet but I don't want to bring unnecessary attention to where Faith works. 

Releasing my hold on her hands, Faith steps out of reach and unlocks her car door. It's ages before she finally answers me. "I know a park near my apartment. We could picnic on your tailgate."

"Chinese and cuddling under the stars." I waggle my eyebrows at her knowing how cheesy I sound. What can I say? She brings out that side of me. 

She rolls her eyes, exaggerating the movement with a chin tilt.  "No cuddling-just eating dinner- then we go our separate ways."

I'll agree to any time she is willing to spend with me. Any progress-even minute-is a shift in the right direction.

"Ok, I'll follow you there."

By the time we both pull out of the parking lot I've already thought of half a dozen reasons to persuade Faith to go out on a second date with me.

Not that I would ever tell her but, yeah, I'm counting tonight as date number one.

Don't worry, the suspense is coming. For now enjoy the sweetness of new beginnings. Thank you to everyone for the wonderful comments and votes you have peppered this story with. You make writing worth gold.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 87 18
Female OC Autumn Faith Brown has healing powers, and is usually withdrawn to avoid feeling physical and emotional pain from other people. However whe...
16.6K 677 30
Zaylee Curtis is done her four years at reform school. Jason, Lilly and Zay leave and reunite once they're all back together. Will Zaylee see Jayden...
2K 163 25
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
9.8K 302 18
Female OC Autumn Faith Brown has healing powers, and is usually withdrawn to avoid feeling physical and emotional pain from other people. However whe...