Potter

By lillyanbrooks

Lily Potter is an average 15 year old living in the United States in 2011. When magic upheaves her life and d... More

Potter
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapterlette 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27(Alternate)
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33(FINALLY)
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Epilogue: Part 1/7
Epilogue : Part 2/7
Epilogue : Part 3/7
Epilogue : Part 4/7
Epilogue : Part 5/7
Epilogue : Part 6/7
Epilogue : Part 7/7

Chapter 54

61.2K 2.1K 4.2K
By lillyanbrooks

"It's basically hunting season. And we're the game." I said sourly, crashed on the couch in the Gryffindor common room. My head rested on Ginny's shoulder, and I could feel more than hear her groan with frustration.

"Do you know how many students were there?" Neville asked curiously, his face flushed from sitting so close to the fire. He had taken the chair across from us so I could stretch out, draping my feet over the arm of one side. I shrugged.

"Maybe about thirty. Not very many, but enough to know that it probably wasn't only Slytherin house. I'm sure there was a fair share of Ravenclaws there, maybe even a Hufflepuff or two."

"No other Gryffindors though?"

"None that I recognized, unless you count Lavender."

"Great. So now we have to worry about everyone." Neville said sadly, looking disheartened. I shook my head quickly.

"No- No, maybe not. They might have gone, but that doesn't mean they're all going to rat us out. Hopefully." I added timidly, grimacing. "It's just that damn reward they're offering. I'm sure it's nothing that great, but still. It might lure someone enough to spill our plans and whereabouts."

"We need to find something to keep them from speaking- Like Hermione did, with the original D.A. Remember what happened to Marietta Edgecomb?" Said Ginny, her expression thoughtful.

"Unfortunately, yes." Neville replied with a slight grimace. "I'm not sure I want to do something that harsh-"

"If it's anything less than I don't think people will take us seriously, Neville." Ginny said, brows furrowing. "And maybe not something permanent. But something lasting. Something you wouldn't wish on friends- Because if they do betray the D.A, Neville, then they're not friends. They never were."

"She has a point, Neville." I murmured quietly, biting my lip. "Perhaps harsh is okay for this situation."

"I know. At the next D.A. meeting, we'll have everyone sign a paper. Ginny, you can place a charm on it- Whatever you like, I suppose, though within good reason if you please." Neville sighed, raking his hand through his hair.

"Of course, Neville. I don't want to make anyone suffer. I want to make sure they know what they did was wrong. I want to discourage people." Ginny said reasonably, her grin slight. Neville nodded once, rising quickly from his seat.

"I have no doubt in your abilities to do so." He chuckled weakly. "Anyway, I'm going to get to bed. Going to try and enjoy the weekend on some level. Night Gin, Alecia."

With that Neville departed, leaving Ginny and I to ourselves. We sat in silence for a few moments before Ginny spoke, leaning back in her seat.

"So besides all the pureblood propaganda, how was it? Did you dance at all?"

"It was alright, I guess. And I did a little bit, yeah." I admitted, tapping my nails lightly against the fabric of the couch as I spoke. Ginny leant forward then, brown eyes bright with curiosity.

"Whom with?"

"Um.."

"You must tell me!" Ginny chuckled, her voice dropping a moment later, turning to a low whisper. "You must."

I chuckled amusedly, leaning away from the girl with a faint smile. "Alright, alright, but you mustn't tell anyone. For my own dignity."

"I promise." Ginny said solemnly.

"Fine. I had a short -very short, mind you- dance with Marcus Thatcher."

"You mean the one that's always with Zabini and Nott?"

"The very same." I said, rolling my eyes at the small giggle the escape Ginny's lips in a very un-Ginny-like way.

"I thought you hated him!"

"I do! But I didn't have any other choice- it would have looked odd if I refused." I defended myself, grimacing as Ginny shook her head, her shoulders shaking with her laughter. After a few moments though she finally calmed herself, though the grin had yet to leave her face.

"I can't believe it. You really are unfortunate. To think, of all the people there. And he asked you?"

"Well I certainly didn't walk up to him."

"How scandalous. And he didn't have any idea who you were?"

"I have a feeling I would've been subjected to complete humiliation if he had." I mumbled, giving a small shrug. "It was alright. He's an okay dancer."

"Just okay?"

"Yes, Ginny. Just okay." I said, hoping my sheepish smile didn't give away my lie. Ginny grimaced, shaking her copper head with a soft sigh.

"And I can't get anymore out of you?"

"No."

"I guess I'll have to take that, then."

_

"Neville, I need these ingredients- You said we had to get healing potions, right? Well, this is how we get them." I said stubbornly, thrusting the list out. It was the next day, a Saturday, and I had finally managed to list everything I needed in order to start brewing potions. Neville grimaced, glancing around for a moment to be sure that the Carrows weren't near before he reached out and took it from me, scanning over it quickly.

"I'm not sure how we can get these, that's all. Slughorn might not even have them."

"Snape will." I said confidently. Neville's eyebrows raised.

"What, in his private storage?"

"No, in his public one. Yes, in his private storage. I know it's a bit of a stretch but with the right people I bet we can get in there and get what we need. I know it."

"I'll see what we can do, Alecia. Maybe Seamus can find a way in. We'll figure something out."

"We have to- The punishments are only going to get worse from here, you must know that. These will help." I said confidently. Neville nodded once, lips pulled tight into a grimace.

"You are right. I'll see who I can convince to go, and then we'll plan a date. Mind if I keep the list?"

"Go right ahead." I said with a quick nod. Neville smiled weakly, folding the piece of parchment up and sliding it into his pocket.

"Alright- I have to go meet Ernie, but I'll be back to the common room soon."

"I'll see you then, Neville." I smiled, squeezing his shoulder gently before we took off in opposite directions, myself heading back to the Gryffindor common room. I was only a floor away, and didn't feel the need to rush back quite yet. I was tired. I wanted to be able to take my time and relax just once.

When someone blocked my path however, that notion quickly dissipated.

"Move, please." I said, trying to be polite at first. Marcus Thatcher stared down at me with narrowed eyes, resting lightly against the wall with his hands in his pockets. I tried to step over his legs but he straightened up, keeping me from crossing to the other side.

"I want to talk to you."

"You don't get to talk to me." My tone was sour. Once more I tried to move past, but to no avail. Thatcher snorted, almost amusedly.

"I think I do."

"Move it, Thatcher. I don't have time for this nonsense." I said sharply, trying to step forward again but recoiling as he once more blocked my path, my chest hitting his rather abruptly. He didn't wear his signature sneer. Instead he simply stared at me, almost furiously, and it made me regret leaving my wand in the dorms. Why did I never learn? Why?

"You. There's something funny about you, Longbottom." Marcus's voice was low. "And I'm going to find out. You're not who you claim to be."

"Who else would I be? Merlin? Really, Thatcher, it's no wonder you didn't end up in Ravenclaw." I snorted, trying to bypass him once more. I was starting to become uncomfortable now, but it seemed escape was impossible as he once again blocked my path. But this time instead of just blocking me he reached out, grabbing me by the arms and shoving me roughly against the stone wall of the hallway.

"So help me Thatcher, I will kill you!" I yelled as my head smacked back into the cement, not hard enough to bleed but certainly enough to make my vision spot. When my vision righted itself all I could see was Marcus, his head ducked down so that we were of the same height. His stare was unwavering, brown eyes dark enough that they nearly blended with the pupil.

"No, you won't. I can tell when you're bluffing, Longbottom. You have a lot of tells." He said, jaw clenched.

"Do I?"

"Your shoulders square whenever you're going to tell a lie. Your lips twitch before you smile. And you play with that ring of yours almost nonstop when you're nervous." He said, his voice nearly a whisper. "You only ever tuck your hair behind your left ear, never your right. And when you're angry, like you are now, your lips pull up just slightly."

I was both speechless and wary. He was too close.

I opened my mouth to speak, to throw him off, to say something that might throw him off when his mouth collided against mine with a ferocity that I had not been kissed with before. It was filled with anger and frustration, and it was with the same amount of fury that I kissed him back, my mouth hard on his. He didn't seem surprised by it. He seemed to welcome it.

His hands slipped from my arms to pull at my waist roughly, but not hard enough to bruise. His fingers tugged and pulled at my waist, at my skin, at my clothes, as though he was trying to tear me apart and put me together at the same time. Not that I could blame him- I was being just as vicious.

My hands gripped at his shoulders, fingers bunching up his shirt as his hands pressed me back into wall, keeping me there even as I raised myself up onto my toes, pulling him forward so he was closer.

The groan he let out was captivating, and it snapped my fury, my anger softening, the roaring fire leaving me and replaced soon by a group of embers, tamed but not snuffed out. I let my fingers soften on his shoulders, and while they still pulled and pawed at his skin I was no longer scratching at him.

I didn't expect for him to relent though, for his mouth to soften on mine a moment later, his fingers, instead of clawing at my skin, pushed down on me gently, keeping me pinned against the wall and his body. I could feel his thumb gently stroking the bare skin where my shirt had risen up, the soft movement making a knot in my stomach tighten.

"I- You should.." I mumbled weakly, feeling his breath fan my skin as he let out a sigh, his lips soft against the corner of my mouth.

"You can't be." His voice was a whisper at first, so hushed and quiet that I hadn't noticed until he said it again, his breath fanning my cheek this time. I didn't have a chance to ask what I couldn't be though as he leant forward, our mouths colliding again with a much gentler passion.

The sigh I let out was soft, near non-existent as his fingers looped into the belt of my jeans, pulling me closer and sealing me to him efficiently. I wasn't sure what kind of gasoline was fueling his fire, but it certainly had a thing for me.

"Thatcher..." I mumbled, brows furrowed. He pulled away from me then, opening his eyes. He seemed muddled, blinking once and staring at me with an almost tired expression. I stared back with wide eyes as he lifted up a hand, gently running his fingers over my cheek.

"You don't know me. And I don't know you. But I'm going to figure it out. There's something familiar about you. And I'll be damned if I don't find out what it is." He said, brows furrowed lightly. Leaning down his lips pressed softly to mine again, tenderly.

I was too startled to protest much, my hands moving to wrap loosely around his neck when someone's throat cleared, and with alarm my head shot up, looking over his shoulder to see Severus Snape standing there, eyebrows raised and lips thinned.

Oh. Hell.

"Headmaster!" I squeaked. Thatcher's hand came off my cheek as he turned to look back, however he seemed to have no other intention of moving, leaving me trapped between him and the wall. I was rapidly becoming aware of how close we actually were, and with a soft groan I leant back, trying to think away the blush that was rising in my face.

"Snape." Thatcher greeted, a lazy smirk crossing his face in a complete reverse of his expression not a minute ago.

"What do you think you are doing, Thatcher?" Snape sighed as he walked forward, his face unreadable as he neared us. Thatcher shrugged, stepping back from me in one fluid movement. I let myself slump against the wall, rubbing my face tenderly. What the hell had I gotten myself into?

"Just having a talk, Headmaster."

"Oh?" Severus raised an eyebrow. "I would think you considered yourself far above sexual assault, Thatcher. Consider me disappointed."

Thatcher's brows furrowed at that, smirk disappearing to be replaced with a look of genuine offense. "I would never-"

"Detention." Severus said sharply. "The both of you. Tonight. Come to my office at seven, no earlier or later, lest you wish me to hand you over to the Carrows."

"S- Professor that isn't fair!" I cried before I could stop myself, taking my hands off my face so I could glare at him properly.

"I think I will decide what is fair and what is not, Longbottom. Tonight. Seven. Thatcher, come with me." He said before turning on his heel and stalking back down the hallway. Thatcher and I both seemed to balk for a moment before Snape spoke again.

"Now, Thatcher." He sneered without looking back, and Marcus started,slipping away from me to follow after the Headmaster. His shoulders were relaxed, but in the way he clenched his fists I could see that he was definitely not fond of Severus Snape at the moment.

Meanwhile, reality had started to sink back into my head, and with a groan I let myself slide down the wall till I was sitting on the floor, pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my head against them. What was wrong with me?

I let out a low groan, letting my fingers twine into my hair as I tried to breathe deeply, trying to find that logical part of my brain that I so needed at the current moment.

Thatcher had kissed me.

And I had let him.

What the hell was wrong with me?

"Oh Merlin.." I mumbled. Nausea was starting to build in my stomach, and no matter how much I just wanted to go back to my common room and hide for awhile, I didn't trust myself to stand.

No.

I was a big girl. I had to pull myself up and move on. Wearily I pulled myself up to my feet, grabbing my bag from where it had slipped from my shoulder and started down the hallway, running my fingers through my hair in a feeble attempt to straighten it out.

"Dittany." The Fat Lady's portrait swung open after I said the password, and I climbed inside, glad to feel the warmth and comfort of the common room. It was fairly empty, save a few first years gathered in the corner of a room playing wizard's chess.

I fell down on the couch with a soft sigh, letting my head loll back on the soft pillow. The heat of the fire fanned over my skin, warming me on both the inside and out.

"Alecia?"

"Thank Merlin, Ginny." I sighed upon hearing the youngest Weasley's voice. Opening my eyes, I saw Ginny standing at the end of the couch with an expression of concern.

"Are you alright, 'Lecia? Where have you been?" Asked Ginny as she nudged my legs over so she could sit down. I grimaced, letting my eyes fall shut again as I sighed.

"I did something unbelievably stupid."

"How stupid?"

"Really, really stupid. And I have detention tonight for it."

"Oh, hell- Don't tell me with the Carrows."

"No, no. With Snape, thank goodness. But I have it with Marcus Thatcher."

"Did you hex him or something?"

"Not quite.."

_

"She what?" Neville sounded aghast, his mouth falling open as he turned towards me. "You what?"

"I didn't mean to! It just kind of.. Happened."

"Nothing 'kind of just happened' with a Death Eater! Merlin's beard, Alecia- That was incredibly foolish. Are you alright?" Neville asked, brows furrowed. I rolled my eyes, chucking a pillow at him to stop him from checking over me to see if I was lying about any potential injuries.

"I'm fine, Neville. Just a little shell shocked. I didn't mean to. He kissed me first."

"And you didn't push him away?"

"I was startled!" I said, my voice rising. "Trust me! I would've stopped him had Snape not before I could-"

"Snape showed up?"

"Yes, that's why I have detention tonight-"

"You have detention?"

"Will you let me speak! It's not that bad. And it's never going to happen again. Trust me. It was a very nauseating experience."

"Did he kiss well?" Ginny's voice piped up curiously. Neville let out a groan, rubbing his face while I considered the question. In truth, he had. Very well. Not that I had that many kissing experiences in my life time.

"I don't know."

"Gin.." Neville sighed, falling back into the chair with a soft grunt. "Is that really a necessary question?"

"I'm curious!" Ginny defended herself, scowling at Neville before she turned back to me. "Come on, you must remember more than that."

"It was... Well, I can't say nice. But it wasn't horrible, I mean." I mumbled, brows creasing. "It- It wasn't that different, really. From kissing... You know. Is all kissing the same?"

"In my experience people kiss differently." Ginny hummed, looking thoughtful. "Perhaps it's a Slytherin thing. They all kiss the same."

"I don't think so." I said slowly, staring up at the ceiling. My cheeks were red, and it wasn't just from the heat of the fire.

"Can we please move on to another subject? What time is your detention, 'Lecia?" Neville asked with a soft sigh. I tore my gaze away from the ceiling to look over at him, brows furrowed.

"Soon. Could you grab me dinner tonight?"

"I'll make sure to get something for you." Ginny promised with a small nod, squeezing my hand. I smiled gratefully as I gave her's a small squeeze back.

"Thanks, Gin."

"Anytime."

"It's around dinner now. You wanna come with?" Neville asked Ginny, brushing off his pants as he rose from his seat. Ginny nodded, rising from her own spot as I let out a loud groan, letting my head fall back on the couch.

"I don't want to go to detention."

"No one ever does, 'Lecia." Ginny pointed out, though her tone was sympathetic. "It'll be alright. Maybe you'll get to do something with Hagrid."

"Yeah. Maybe." I replied, bidding them a quick goodbye and watching as they took off to go down to dinner. Meanwhile I rose from my own seat. I didn't know how long the detention would be, and walking to my dorm I made sure to take another dose of polyjuice potion, just in case.

Maybe I would get to do something with Hagrid. Maybe detention wouldn't be that bad.

Maybe.

_

I actually ended up arriving a little bit earlier to detention, but being that I wasn't exactly on too poor of terms with the current Headmaster I didn't have any qualms about walking inside, letting the door shut with a soft click behind me.

Severus sat at his desk, his expression turning unusually ill-tempered as he caught sight of me.

"What did I say about being early?"

"I'm already in detention, Severus. Have I got much to lose?" I said with a small shrug, sitting myself down in one of the chairs opposite to his desk. Severus scowled.

"At least have the good decency to appear embarrassed. Or have you forgotten why you are here in the first place?"

"That was not my fault!"

"So you said earlier. But still I am unconvinced that, while it was perhaps not your fault, you certainly did not turn him away."

"I was trapped." I insisted, grimacing when Severus rolled his eyes, obviously unimpressed with my explanation.

"I am sure. But this is not the first time you have had a run in with Thatcher. If you insist on being in the company of him, then I would love to oblige. Thus why you will be spending your detention with him this evening."

"You're being ridiculous. And not smart- what if my polyjuice potion were to run out?"

"I am sure you are smart enough to have taken a sufficient amount." Replied Severus with a bored tone. "Think of this as lesson. The further you stay away from Marcus Thatcher, the better."

"And yet you're making me do detention with him?"

"Perhaps the two hours you will be spending with Thatcher will run out any proclivity you have towards each other. A fire only burns for so long. Soon enough Thatcher will be bored with you, or vice versa, and I will no longer have to bother with keeping two hot-headed teens from tearing each other apart."

"I am not hot-headed-"

"If you continue to argue, I will make it three." Severus threatened, and by the sharpness of his voice I knew not to open my mouth again. Instead I sat in silence, glaring at the floor. Severus seemed to see that as the end of our conversation, and we sat in silence until there was a knock on the door, Marcus Thatcher walking through it a moment later.

"Professor." Thatcher greeted coolly, taking the seat beside me. I wasn't sure how to take it when he didn't even so much as glance my way, his eyes fixated on the Hogwarts headmaster.

"Thatcher." Severus greeted mildly. "Two minutes late."

"My bad." Thatcher sneered, his eyes drifting up to the ceiling as he took on a bored expression, letting out a soft sigh. "What kind of hell have you set up for me?"

"You and Miss Longbottom will be spending two hours in the detention chamber."

"That doesn't sound so bad." Thatcher reasoned, his lips pulled into a grimace. Severus's lips twitched.

"We shall see." He murmured, writing something down in a large notebook when there was a loud knock on the door, and before it could even be answered Amycus and Alecto Carrow filed in, wearing identical grins.

"You asked for us, Snape?" Alecto inquired, her eyes leaving Snape for a moment to dart down between Thatcher and I, her expression turning into something gleefully wicked.

"Yes. Please escort Longbottom and Thatcher to the detention chamber. They're to be there for the next two hours physically separated and, preferably, in silence. Perhaps their boredom shall keep them from further misconduct." Snape said snidely, and with a sharp nod Alecto reached down, grabbing my arm and pulling me roughly out of my seat.

"Very well, Headmaster. Amycus, get Thatcher." Alecto barked, and without so much as another glance Snape let them drag us out of his office. They dragged both of us roughly down the stairs, Alecto giving me a shove hard enough that I stumbled over the steps and out into the hallway, nearly crashing into the ground.

"Oops. You missed a step." She sneered, giving a wheezy laugh before latching onto my arm again, leading me down the hallway. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Amycus had a strong grip on Thatcher's arm. It almost amused me. He was a fellow Death Eater, wasn't he?"

"What did you two do, I wonder, to gain such a detention." Amycus said idly, grinning maliciously. "The Dark Lord won't be very pleased to hear you've gotten detention, Thatcher. Tsk-Tsk."

"Shut your mouth, Carrow." Thatcher sneered, looking unimpressed. "No need to be so bitter because he favors me more than you."

"Watch yourself." Amycus snarled, whacking Thatcher over the head enough to make the smack resound off the walls. Dropping his hand he looked over to Alecto, giving a small shrug.

"Whoops."

"I didn't see anything." Alecto said casually as we neared the Detention Chamber. I had never been in it before personally, but I knew Seamus had once. He had described it as dark and unpleasant, and as Alecto unlocked the door I got the feeling Seamus wasn't exaggerating at all.

Peering in, it was near pitch black inside, light flooding in only from the open door. I moved to step in, not even bothering to protest when Alecto pulled back on my arm.

"Just a minute, Longbottom. We have something extra special for you and Thatcher." Alecto grinned, using her free hand to reach into her robes and pull out a vial. The liquid inside was scarlet.

"What is that?" Thatcher's voice rose slightly, with panic or anger I didn't know.

"Baneberry potion." Amycus said with a wide grin. "Fresh batch."

"Not many people know the affects of the Baneberry potion, did you know that, Longbottom? It's rarely used these days, of course, but lucky us, Old Sluggy had all the ingredients. " Alecto said, taking her hand off of me so she could unscrew the lid of the bottle. I was almost tempted to run for it, to sprint until they couldn't possibly catch me, but Amycus's hand quickly replaced his sister's, and I watched with dread as Alecto raised the vial up to her nose, inhaling deeply.

"Smells like pain. Odd thing to smell like, isn't it? But that tangy rust just reeks of it. You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough. Bottoms up, Longbottom. But make sure to save enough for Thatcher over there."

I could feel the glass vial press into my lips, and I tilted my head away, trying to distance my mouth from its cool surface. Gritting my teeth I tried to move away, to keep her from prying my mouth open, but soon her hand was on my face, and squeezing tightly I felt my jaw unhinge enough so that the red liquid could seep through my lips.

"That's a girl." Alecto cooed mockingly before pulling the vial away from me and moving over to Thatcher. I in the meantime feel to my knees, gagging and spitting and trying to get that awful potion out of my mouth. It tasted like blueberries, but the hint of something metallic kept me on edge.

"I am a pureblood- The Dark Lord would not be pleased with you for this!" Thatcher spat viciously as he wiped at his mouth. Amycus gave a loud snort, shoving him roughly past me and into the room, following after him.

"He isn't going to find out. Not if you don't tell him. And you won't." I could hear Amycus said as Alecto forcefully pulled me up and into the room, shoving me against the furthest wall.

"This might pinch." Alecto sneered. I could feel her lift my hands up, pressing them into something cool and metal. When the clasped together, I realized they were manacles, sealing my hands to the wall.

"Have fun, you two. See you in two hours. If we remember." Amycus said, his body silhouetted against the light of the doorway. He wiggled his fingers mockingly before the door slammed shut, leaving us in darkness.

We sat in silence.

I closed my eyes repeatedly, trying to make them adjust. The room, while still dark, at least had shadows to it now, light barely seeping under the door and pooling into the small room. After a minute or two I broke the silence that had settled between us, not wholly awkward but definitely not at ease.

"This is your fault, you know." I said resignedly, grimacing at the aftertaste the potion had left on my tongue. Tangy and unpleasant. But no affects had started to show yet, and I hoped that, maybe by good luck, we had been given a faulty potion.

"Well, fat lot blaming me will do us now." Thatcher snapped and I could hear the metal of his manacles jingle as he moved. "Though if it's any help, I don't really regret it and I don't think you can make me."

"Well I regret it. You're an awful person. You're- You're-"

"Despicable? Horrendous? Fiendish? Dastardly charming?"

"A complete ass."

"So all of the above."

"If you don't stop taking this all with humor I'll detach my wrists from these manacles and strangle you." I snapped sourly, closing my eyes and letting myself slump back against the wall with a soft sigh. I might as well try and right out the next two hours peacefully, and I could feel sleep start to pull on my eyes.

"Besides, how can you not regret it? I thought I infuriated you." I asked, trying to keep my tone casual. Thatcher remained silent for a moment, apparently considering it before he sighed.

"I told you. There's something familiar about you."

"And obviously kissing me is the only way to figure it out."

"It was an impulse based on suspicion." Thatcher said, his tone defensive. "I never would have touched you otherwise, Mudbitch."

"Are we really resorting to that again, Thatcher?" I scoffed, wishing the lighting was brighter so I could glare at him properly. "How childish."

"I never claimed to be otherwise." Thatcher murmured, his tone soft. The silence we fell into was tense and uncomfortable now, but I had no intention of breaking it. Instead I kept my eyes closed and mouth shut. I felt fine, and that's what alarmed me the most. Shouldn't the potion have me doubled over, screaming like my stomach was on fire?

Instead I felt oddly peaceful.

"Thatcher? Do you know anything about the potion they gave us?" I asked, opening my eyes. I was terrified when I opened them to find I was in Grimmauld place.

"What the hell?" I hissed, rising from the couch and staring at my surroundings with wide eyes. It felt real. I could feel the fire on my skin, the comfortable tiredness that came after taking a long nap on the couch at Grimmauld.

"Hello?" I called meekly, hesitantly stepping away from the living room to step into the kitchen. It was dark outside the windows, but the kitchen was lit as though it were daytime.

"Lily? You alright?" A voice came from behind me, and I turned to see my mother standing there, pale brows furrowed in concern for me. I felt my mouth drop open in shock.

"Mom?" I murmured. My throat felt dry. Anna Potter stepped forward, her hands outstretched. I took one gingerly, her skin soft and familiar next to my own. She had that tired smile on her face, the one that came with spending long hours at work.

"Oh, my girl. So brave. You've saved so many." She cooed, but then her lips pursed. "If only you could have saved me."

"I- Mom?" I tried to pull my hand out of hers but her grip became tight, fingers digging into my arm. Blood had started to seep from her mouth, staining her lips red. She was paling rapidly, deteriorating before my eyes.

"You didn't! You didn't save me! You forgot! You left your true family behind!" She screeched accusingly. I could feel my eyes prickling with tears as I struggled to pull away from her, my skin burning as her nails cut into my forearm, clawing at the skin.

"I'm sorry! You were dead already- I didn't know anything then! I'm sorry!" I yelled, pulling back hard enough that I escaped from her grip, stumbling back and into something soft. I was scared to turn around, and it was with reluctance that I did.

My father, slim and tall, stood in front of me now, brown eyes narrowed. His sleeves were rolled up, and I could see the Death Eater's mark on his left forearm.

"Daddy?" I asked weakly, cringing back. My father had been a gentle man when I had known him, but now he appeared to have the rage of a lion, his lips pulled into a sneer. He looked furious.

"I fled this life for you- For our family, and you just return to it like that meant nothing?" He hissed. "You failed me! Now I'm dead, your mother is dead, your brother will die and if there is any justice in this world, so should you!"

"You're not real!" I yelled, wincing when he shoved me back. I could still hear my mother in the doorway, spitting insults like a mad woman. "Neither of you are real! You're both dead! I'm sorry, but you're both dead!"

"You failed and you will fail and you will always fail!" Now there was a new voice, coming from my right. I didn't even bother to look. I didn't want to see the hate in Draco's eyes too, his pale form nearing me.

I knew this wasn't real. I knew it. There was no logical explanation for any of this to be real, but I could feel every blow and every hate-filled word, digging into my brain and bringing tears from my eyes.

"You stupid girl! Can't you save anyone?" He spat. When my father shoved me down again I rolled with it, my body hitting the floor roughly. I don't know who started kicking me first, but I could feel the foot land itself firmly in my stomach. It wasn't the last. Grimmauld changed. I was no longer in Grimmauld. I was somewhere cold and dark and I was screaming.

And I couldn't stop.

_

"Longbottom! Snap out of it, it's over, it's over-" Thatcher's voice broke in and out of my thoughts, catching my attention but not enough to pull me out of the shell I had created, to stop me from crying. My head ached, and my arms felt raw and bruised from where my not-father had shoved me down.

"Merlin- Alecia, please. It's okay now." Thatcher's voice soothed, and with a hiccupy cry I looked up to the direction I was sure he was in.

"How can you say that?" I said, my words strangle and choked. "How the hell was any of that okay?"

"It was just the potion. I don't know what you saw- But it wasn't real."

"How are you so calm?" I mumbled, rubbing at my eyes even though the tears continued to come relentlessly.

"I snapped out of it about an hour before you did. I think you've only been properly back for ten minutes or so- That's when you started crying, anyway. You were only screaming before."

"Oh." I mumbled, sniffling. I felt too drained to be embarrassed. I moved, trying to make my position more comfortable when I felt something wet drip down my arm, and belatedly I realized I was bleeding. I stiffened, but regretted the movement quickly when my stomach ached in protest.

"Be careful of moving- The people weren't real, but the injuries are." Thatcher warned with a soft sigh, the breath coming out raspy. I heard the manacles jingle as he moved, than a sharp intake of breath- "Be really careful. They hurt like hell."

"I'll keep that in mind." I muttered, trying to move as little as possible even as I rested my head back against the stone wall. I felt sore and drained and bruised both inside and out. I focused on breathing deep for a moment, on the feel of the air entering and leaving my lungs before I spoke again.

"Any idea how long we've been here?" I asked.

"Not a clue. The hallucination, vision- Whatever, well. It could've been minutes or hours. It's supposed to be like a bad dream."

"With a little bit more permanent aftertaste, I assume." I mumbled, feeling the blood drip down my arm from where my mother- not mother had squeezed my arm.

"Yeah." Thatcher said slowly, coughing. "Not quite pleasant."

"That's one way to put it."

"You get injured bad?" Thatcher's voice wasn't caring nor thoughtful; It held a reserved curiousness to it. With nothing else to do, I figured I'd sate it. Sating his curiosity seemed to be something I did often for him anyway.

"My stomach hurts. And I'm bleeding, on my wrist. You?"

"My throat feels pretty soar- And my back hurts, but that could be just from sitting like this for so long." Thatcher answered. I could hear him sigh, the manacles moving as I assumed he tried to adjust his posture.

"You're not as nasty as you pretend to be, you know that." I commented meekly, rolling my shoulders to try and get the stiffness out of my back. I was exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to sleep, but I was too scared to close my eyes, in fear that the hallucinations would return.

"Perhaps not. But it's easier to be vicious than not in my current situation. Not everyone has the luxury of being kind, Longbottom." Thatcher's tone was resigned. "So don't think this changes anything, Mudbitch. You still infuriate me."

"Actions speak louder than words."

"Don't try that on me, Longbottom. Some words can be spoken very loudly."

"Whatever, Thatcher. It's not like I want you to like me. Then I'll be stuck with that asshole demeanor of yours."

"Ha ha. Very funny." Thatcher snorted. I smirked, the gesture small but genuine as I sighed deeply, rolling my head and cringing when I felt my neck crack in several places.

"What the hell was that?"

"That was my neck."

"What the hell is wrong with your neck?"

"It's just stiff, Thatcher. I'm cold and tired and stiff and certainly sick of sitting here." I snipped, narrowing my eyes crossly. I heard Thatcher snort.

"Oh, get your wand out of a knot, Longbottom. I'm not exactly having a tea party here either. You're not the only they gave that potion to." He reminded me, letting out a loud sigh. "You'd think they'd be a little more lenient- I am a Slytherin."

"And a Death Eater, but fat lot that did for you." I muttered darkly, glaring at the floor in an attempt to keep my eyes from closing. I was completely drained from earlier. I could hear Thatcher's manacles shake again.

"How the hell did you know that?" His tone was incredulous, and belatedly I realized my slip up. As Alecia Longbottom, I had never seen his Death Eater's mark. Only Lily Potter had.

"It's kind of obvious, Thatcher." I said, trying to cover my tracks. "Your relaxation with the Carrows, the way you and your cronies strut about- Who doesn't know?"

"Blaise and Theo are who you are referring to, and they're clean. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate otherwise." Thatcher said, though the bite had left his voice. His tone had softened, turning to something gentle and luring. "And lots of people don't know. So how do you?"

Now would be a good time to cut the conversation short.

"Deductive reasoning, maybe?" I suggested, starting to fall back on the exhaustion that had been pulling at my mind for the past few minutes. My arms had turned numb after being held by my head for so long, and I could feel my eyelids getting heavier, my breathing slowing.

"Longbottom- Don't you dare fall asleep."

"Shut up, Thatcher. I'm exhausted."

"Longbottom, I don't think-"

But I ignored him, sleep getting the best of me. So I let my eyes fall shut, and with a peaceful sigh I fell asleep, hoping that when I woke up I would be able to leave this awful place and this poor company.

I woke up maybe an hour later, still stuck in the dimly let cell. I yawned, wanting to rub the sleep out of my eyes but finding that my hands were still stuck on the wall. Right.

Just great.

"You still there, Thatcher?" I muttered, squinting to see if I could catch sight of my cell mate in the darkness.

There was no reply. Then a moment later, a soft laugh, quiet and so very familiar.

"Draco." I mumbled, leaning away hesitantly. The light was better, and I could just barely see his pale hair in the dim light, though his eyes shone unnaturally in the darkness. They glowed a bright gray, nearing white instead of his actual darker shade. It was unsettling.

"Lily." He spoke neutrally, his hand reaching forward and tucking back a lock of hair behind me ear. I don't think I could handle another attack- Especially from him. Not without breaking down. I couldn't. I couldn't.

"I'm sorry." I murmured weakly, feeling his hand gently brush my cheek. It was cold, and felt nice against my warm cheek.

"I'm sorry." He echoed quietly, his head tilting to the side. I frowned lightly. That was unexpected.

"You're sorry?" I asked, keeping my tone soft. Maybe if I didn't yell, he wouldn't. Because he was Draco, but I knew he wasn't real. He couldn't be. He was a hallucination.

"I'm sorry." He murmured, leaning forward. I thought he might kiss me.

But then the wand pressed into my stomach, and instead of my lips his mouth brushed against my cheek, the word 'Sectumsempra' brushed against my skin as if it were a lover's compliment instead of dark spell.

The first yell was more of surprise than pain as I bowed over, inhaling sharply. It had felt like a dull blow at first, unimportant and seemingly un-harmful,but now I could feel it for what it was, all sharp and burning and pain.

The scream I let out now was ragged, hissed between gritted teeth as I hung my head. The not-Draco had disappeared, leaving me to suffer alone. My hands flexed as I tried to calm myself, calm my heart rate, keep myself from focusing on the stinging sensation that currently was my being.

No no no no! My mind was like a whirlwind, going into survival mode. My clothes stuck to my skin, damp with either sweat or blood. I wasn't sure. But I could smell the metal tang of the blood- my blood, I reminded myself weakly- and nearly gagged on it.

I let out another cry, screaming as I felt a pair of hands of me, on my face, frantic and touching lightly in an almost comforting gesture. When the hands reached down, pressing lightly against my stomach I groaned, letting my head loll freely on my shoulders.

"Potter- Potter, don't move." A voice hissed. Alarm prickled at my spine as a wand lit up, revealing wide gray eyes and a familiar face that held none of the muted cruelty and viciousness it had moments before.

I tried to speak, but the only thing that came out of my mouths were ragged gasps, unintelligible and entirely unhelpful.

"Damnit- You just had to sleep, didn't you?" He muttered, frowning even as he reached up. There was a click, and then my hands were free from the manacles. I tried to bring them to me, to clutch them to my chest, but he grabbed them before I could, using the leverage to gently set me down so I was lying on the cement. It had felt cold before. It didn't now.

My arm was pulled away from me, there was the sound of cloth tearing- A moment later I felt my forearm being wrapped in something soft, the fabric feeling comfortable against the scratches my mother had left in my arm. But then there was a pause; A moment of silence, and I panicked when I thought I had been left alone. I couldn't see anything, though I was sure the light had not been doused, at least not verbally.

"I- Hel-"

"Don't speak, you'll only make it worse." Draco admonished, brows furrowed. My vision returned, and I could see his face, lit dimly by his wand. I could feel his fingers pull my shirt aside, his lips thinning as he saw the wound. My thoughts felt fuzzy and blended, like my brain had been thrown into a blender. Instead I tried to focus on the boy who was kneeling in front of me, an almost welcome sight. I could have thought of him as a sign that I was losing it. Instead I took him as a comfort. At least I wouldn't be dying alone.

He was muttering words, his voice concentrated and hushed, though every now and then I could see his eyes flick up to me, filled with all the curiosity I stared at him with. The stinging sensation on my stomach was disappearing, followed only by an uncomfortable tingling sensation that came with some healing spells.

Confident enough that I could, I reached out carefully, taking his free hand. Unlike before, it was warm.

"You'll be alright. The potion will have worn off by now. You can rest easy, Potter." Draco's voice had turned gentle, as were his movements as he moved to lie down next to me, his wand lying forgotten somewhere next to him.

Gingerly I reached up, feeling his skin move under my fingers, feeling his throat move as he swallowed, his chest as he breathed. His lips as he smiled at me weakly, in the same tired way that most people did these days. I scowled.

"You're not real." I slurred, struggling to keep from dozing off as his smile turned lighter, his lips twitching up into the familiar gesture I was so fond of.

"That's right, Potter. I'm not real. Now sleep, will you? I'll stay with you until you do." He promised, taking my hand and pressing his lips gently to the back of it. I smiled dopily.

"And when I wake?"

"We'll see." He whispered, raising his hand and gently letting his thumb brush my cheek. "But sleep now, alright Potter?"

I was too drained to protest.

_

First thing I noticed when I came to was the sun that shone directly in my eyes.

The second was that I was in Snape's office.

And the third was that I was curled up in a chair, a blanket pulled around my shoulders.

"You're awake." Snape's voice sent my head snapping up from shoulder, and it swam with the quick movement enough so that I let my head bend down right away, groaning.

"What happened?" I mumbled, reaching up a hand and gently rubbing my face. Snape stood by the book shelves, staring at me with apprehension.

"What do you remember?"

"The Carrows- The Carrows gave us a potion before locking us in- Oh, Severus the things I saw- And Thatcher- Marcus Thatcher, is he alright?"

"Thatcher is just fine and is currently having breakfast with the rest of the school. You are my current concern." He said briskly. "You have suffered several lesions to your torso, your arm has been clawed nearly raw. I think, perhaps, that your concern should be yourself, as well."

"I- What?" I said in surprised, pulling the blanket away from my stomach. I lifted up my shirt hurriedly, and sure enough a large bandage was wrapped around both my stomach and chest, hiding the ugly wounds I had gotten.

"This was real?" I mumbled, blinking. So much was a blur last night, and I remembered it with the drowsiness that came with too little sleep and a ripping head ache. I remembered the night in flashes- Short conversation with Thatcher, my parent's angry faces, the sectumsempra, Draco's face- Draco.

"He was there." I started, my voice rising as I dropped my shirt and looked back to Snape. When he stared at me blankly, eyebrows raised, I continued.

"Draco. I saw him. He healed me. I don't know how, but I saw him-"

"I am sure you also saw many other things during last night, but may I remind you that is what the Baneberry potion does."

"Yes, but it twists them- He wasn't twisted, not then. He was there, Severus, I know it!" I hissed, my voice rising high enough that it broke. But even as I said it, I could feel the conviction in my chest deflating. Severus, of course, was right.

There was no way.

But something was still digging at the back of mind, something that made unable to be ignored.

"Perhaps some more sleep will do you well-" Severus suggested, cutting his sentence short when I sputtered in protest.

"No! I have never been more sick of sleeping- I could never sleep again and be fine." I said vehemently, shaking my head despite it's aching. "He was real."

"You're confused and dazed. Thatcher screamed enough to catch my attention as I was walking by- He informed me of your injury and I healed it, sent him away and brought you back here so I could keep an eye on you without the Carrow's nuisance. That was all that happened."

"That's not what happened!" I insisted forcefully, my frustrating growing as Severus only rolled his eyes.

"Obviously you must have hit your head as well. I have made several potions that will keep your wounds from making any long-term damage, though I can not promise there will be no scarring. Also, I have your polyjuice potion for you- I advise you take it quickly. It wore off some time in the past night. It was fortunate I sent Thatcher away before attending to you."

"Fine. But only if you stop looking at me like that."

"I am not looking at you in any-"

"You look like you're pitying me, and I hate it. So stop." I said crossly, scowling. I looked away from him and instead turned to his desk, where my aforementioned potion sat, the blue-ish liquid glinting almost tauntingly in it's glass bottle.

"Must I take it? Can't I just stay here?" I whined. Taking the polyjuice potion meant having to leave the warmth of my current spot and facing everyone. Facing Neville and Ginny, who surely would be smothering with their concern. Facing the Carrows and their knowledge of the hell I went through. Facing Thatcher.

"Breaks do not come in the life of a spy. Return to your dorm if you wish, but you cannot stay here. I understand the Baneberry potion may have been unexpected- and I will be speaking with the Carrows about unauthorized potions and their uses, but in all reality it should have been expected. I believed you to know what you signed up for upon agreeing to come to Hogwarts this year."

"I did. I just... Didn't expect it to be this bad." I muttered, rubbing weakly at my head. Happenings from last night still swarmed my memories, and while I couldn't remember everything bits and pieces were coming together.

"Hey, Severus?" I asked, brows furrowed as I reached for the polyjuice potion, holding it gingerly with both hands. Severus looked back over to me from his book, eyebrows raised.

"Yes?"

"Do you- You think my dad would be mad at me for jumping back into all this? I mean the war, the fighting- All of it?" I asked tentatively, sipping my potion as I waited for an answer. The frown Severus wore as he considered my question had me wary, and I was close to being on the edge of my seat when he finally answered.

"He would disappointed that you were thrown back here in the first place- But I do not think it would be directed at you. Surely, he would have wanted the magical life for you, had the time been appropriate." He answered carefully. I wasn't quite content with the answer but I took it, nodding quickly.

"Alright. Thanks, Severus." I sighed, rising carefully from my seat. I could feel my skin tingle as the potion began to take affect, and it was only with mild wooziness that I stepped forward.

"Take care of yourself, please. And I do not wish to see you in detention again. Especially with Thatcher. If I find you near him again, the reprimand will be severe." Severus's warning was serious, and I nodded meekly, running my fingers through my tangled hair as I moved towards the door.

"Will keep in mind." I promised with a mild grin before leaving the room, inhaling the fresh air deeply as I continued on my way down the passage.

I needed food, water, and someone who could answer my questions.

And I knew just who to go to.

*
* *
* * *
* * * *

Hey all!

Hope you enjoyed the chapter, please feel free to lemme know by posting in the comments or sending me a brief message(However I will not answer anything that is potentially spoilery)! I spent a lot of time working on this chapter so I hope it suits your fancy.

I understand it seems a little bit more on the far PG-13ish side, but this story *is* pg-13 and other chapters will not be as seemingly violent or kissy-kissy.

ALSO, EXCITING NEWS! I recently did an interview with theWattybuzz, and it was posted today! So if you have the time I encourage you to go check both them and me out, because it was a super fun interview and they also have a lot of fun stuff going on in their new issue.

I am not sure as to when the next chapter will be posted, but I will try and keep you guys as updated as possible!

Luv ya,

-Lily

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 44 22
Ages 13 and up Y/n is a typical girl at Hogwarts, trying to survive classes while figuring out the complexity of being the middleman of her two best...
7.7K 257 36
At the tender age of eleven, Lily Luna Potter leaves her home, her family, and a normal child's life behind to attend the best school for magic in th...
1.4K 115 33
As a highly esteemed school for young wizards and witches over the age of 21, Hogwarts has always been a dream every witch and wizard sought after...
142 19 19
"𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓵𝓮𝓿𝓲-𝓞𝓢𝓐, 𝓷𝓸𝓽 𝓵𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓸-𝓢𝓐!" hermione granger is an average 11-year-old girl. or, was. on a gorgeous summer day, that would a...