Guardian (Sequel to Fearless)

By squigmo

One year. It had been one year since Iris Gwenneth became the first heroine of Eldia --one year since her lif... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Chapter Eighty Four
Chapter Eighty Five
Chapter Eighty Six
Chapter Eighty Seven
Chapter Eighty Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety One
Chapter Ninety Two
Chapter Ninety Three
Chapter Ninety Four
Chapter Ninety Five
Chapter Ninety Six
Epilogue

Chapter Eighty Eight

3.7K 358 259
By squigmo

A/N -- Enjoy! The song is pretty cool! :P

Iris drew her daggers faster than she ever had from beneath her skirts. For herself, there was no fight left. For her sister? Every fiber of muscle, every drop of blood, every breath of air, every movement, and every heartbeat was left for fighting. Every piece of Iris would stand between her bound sister and the Ghost. This time would be different. She wouldn't fight for glory. She wouldn't fight for herself. There was hardly any of Iris left. There would be no jubilance in her fight. This fight, it was only skill. Iris would only be a weapon. This was the one battle she couldn't afford to lose.

Ghost took a step back. "Very well," he said to the baron. He looked to Iris and mused. "I won't do this easily, will I?"

"You won't touch her," Iris hissed. "You won't do it at all."

Hench's eyes were uncovered to see her sister prepared to face off the assassin. The Ghost grinned and said. "There's a lot of names for you out there, Iris Gwenneth. Do you know that? Of course, there's First Heroine... there's Rogue Captain. Everyone knows those. But there's more," he said. "Your enemies call you the Reaper... They call you the Cloak. Your Legion of Rogues called you the Shroud. I imagine these lovely girls might now call you the Widow... the Spider." Ghost raised a brow. "The men that matter call you the Shadow. There, watching, but not quite there." The assassin pulled two daggers of his own. "The same men call me Ghost. And together, we sound larger than life, do we not?"

Iris shut out any thought that wasn't relevant. Fear. Sadness. They were gone for this moment.

"So what happens when a ghost fights a shadow?" he whispered. "It will be interesting to know." He twisted his knives in his hands.

Iris said nothing; she only stepped in front of Rhalla's chair. Ghost's cloak dropped to the floor, revealing armor of black tendrils. They wrapped around him like tight, slick fingers, and formed around a screaming obsidian skull on the left side of his chest. His white hair whipped around his torso, and he was every bit a wraith.

He approached Rhalla's seat quickly, on the most graceful feet Iris had seen yet. He wasted no absolutely no time. But she was standing in the way. With a deft hand, Ghost lunged right for Iris, blade aimed straight for her neck. Her hips pivoted, putting a booted leg between their chests, and one of her blades clanged against his, stopping its assault.

His eyes belied his next move. His next arm whipped in under, faster than anyone's ever had. He was quick. She figured that out fast. Iris threw a leg back in reflex, twisting her body to block the blow with her other hand. With all her momentum, she threw only one of his blades out. The other still lingered against hers. She had to grapple with her balance for a second, not expecting such speed from her opponent.

Together, they whirled about, blades clanging together in relentless pursuit. There was a strength behind the assassin's swings that was hardly expected at first glance. Ghost threw her arms further to the side than she would have liked. Immediately, she had to account for it and react accordingly. Anything else, and she would lose.

His eyes were deceitful, and it was immediately apparent that Ghost was ambidextrous. He had no off-hand or weak-hand. They brought forth the same relentless fury. This battle hinged on reflex. They fought like that for minutes on end.

Iris was cold. Calculating. Ghost threw himself backwards as she snapped forward. Her blade hit air, and suddenly, a flat boot was against her sternum. Ghost pushed off her skin backwards, somersaulting with brilliant ease. Meanwhile, she was thrown against her sister at the force of his flip. She sat facing forward in Rhalla's lap.

Ghost didn't give her time to stand. With a powerful leap, he came at both sisters. Iris didn't let herself entertain the thought that he could very well be better than her. Hands came flying in left and right, the assassin's arms a blur of motion. With everything inside her, Iris defended her sister, who struggled against binds under her.

Each collision pushed Iris further and further back onto Hench, until Iris's back pressed hard against Rhalla's abdomen and breasts. Once, she was there, Ghost started retreating to the sides. Rhalla was his target, after all, not Iris. She noticed it and grunted, and swiveled on her sister's lap, blocking two assaults meant for Hench with her left arm.

Iris couldn't stand yet. If she moved away right now, Rhalla was dead. Ghost knew that -used it to his advantage. Her arms weren't enough to hold back his strength... not in her position. Her right arm was at a disadvantage. Iris quickly took into account that she was sitting, which meant she had four limbs instead of two. Her legs worked against his swings. She threw one of her arms back against the chair and rocked back on her hips. A boot swung quick, batting away Ghost's forearm. There was more power in her legs, which was good. They were able to give her a couple more inches of space. That foot planted on the ground, and the other one swatted another attack.

His next dagger came in, blade faced in a way that would have destroyed her muscle if she'd sent a calf into it. She saw it a second later than was good for her. Straightaway, she stopped her motion and slammed her other boot down before she could debilitate herself. Iris threw her body's core out of comfort range by taking her balance off her hand. She slammed that dagger forward, bringing his blade down. Her pommel came up quickly, throwing up another hit. For a split moment, her balance was lost.

Ghost drew first blood. Her falter had his blade swipe against the skin of her collar. Iris hissed in pain. Her heel came back up and slammed into his chest, giving her just enough time to recover. She followed it with her knife... but Ghost was too fast. In a move that would have brought back memories if Iris cared enough to have them, Ghost flung himself backward.

Her blade soared over him, slicing nothing but air. Like she had once done to Zayn Rothstead.

Her next objective: get off her sister. Ghost bent back up and sent a dagger at Rhalla. Iris batted it, but not before it did some harm. It cut through her sister's transparent silk dress, and into the meat over her rib. Iris threw a boot into his arm, knocking the dagger away before it could go further in.

Still, Hench's blood poured. Seeing it... that awoke something in Iris that had never been roused in her life. Not in military battle... not in guardian battle. It was a sort of adrenaline fueled hyper-focus that sent her body into that primal instinct that she'd felt before -yet, unlike that time, her mind was very much alert. She propelled a dagger right at his temple, quick enough to force him to completely squat to dodge it. Miss. With a growl, one leg swooped back up and hooked his shoulder before he could stand again.

At seeing Rhalla wounded, even slightly, gave Iris strength she couldn't explain. For one moment, she felt alive. She jumped up on her other boot and then slung herself right over the other side of his shoulder, still holding his limb tight in the pit of her knee. They whipped through the air. Ghost was agile enough to turn her around. His dagger would have pinned her right in the gut had he been able to get her to land on her back. Iris grunted and outmaneuvered him, using the push of energy to twist on top of him at the very last millisecond.

His arms were sprawled out at odd angles, but she was in no position to stab or take advantage of Ghost. Her knee was now trapped underneath him. Immediately, he swiveled and used his core strength to sling her off him. She rolled into a dead body close to her sister. It stopped her aimless tumble. Iris stood. Ghost stood.

For a moment, they locked stares. The assassin took a deep breath and surveyed her. No one had ever lasted so long against him. Iris had the reflexes of a cat and the visage of a wicked widow goddess. She was fascinating and lethal and alluring and respectable, all at the same time. What a sin it was that he had to fight her. There were much better things he could find to do with such a competent woman. He might could even learn something from her.

"Brilliant," he mouthed, and turned his weapons back forward in his hands.

Iris knew that Ghost had the advantage. He was stronger than she was, and he also wasn't guarding a vulnerable party. Without further ado, she pressed forward. The further he was from Rhalla, the better. He steadied himself on his feet. She had to knock him from that unwavering poise. She couldn't just charge forward traditionally, especially with the bodies in the way. She did the best she could.

Everyone watched hot pursuit. It started as a bolting run. As the bodies piled, Iris kept her momentum with front aerials, leaping over the dead. She meant to kick Ghost back further at the end, but he knew better than to stay in front of her. He bolted to the side.

Iris saw him pull out a throwing blade from his belt and turn to her sister. A last minute rail change had her flip turning sideways, out of control. No. She vaulted her body, twisting and flailing right into his side. The weight of her knocked him down and then sent her rotating on the impact of the floor. Her shoulder got thrown right out of socket, and Iris cried out for a moment in pain.

Ghost was on top of her before she knew it. There was no doubt about it, he was the best she'd ever fought. His dagger came down stabbing left and right. She barely had it in her to dodge. His elbow snapped her head to the left. She brought it back. She was going to die. She was definitely going to die.

No. Rhalla. Her sister would be killed... defenseless! It wasn't time to die yet, Iris decided.

With all her endurance, she fought prone. He wasn't letting up. He had no mercy. He was death incarnate. She batted off another attack. She couldn't fight him like this. His right hand came straight down. Suddenly, there was no fucking choice. She dropped one dagger to grab his wrist. It was the only thing that would stop death at this point.

Ghost's left hand batted away her dropped weapon ,and then went against the blade of her off hand, which was now weakened by the impact of her bad flip. Her other dagger was thrown from her grip immediately. His left hand stabbed down. As the other side, she quickly gripped his wrist to stop the blow. Iris was now weapon-less, using every bit of her strength to force his daggers away from her breasts. The weight of his torso was too much. Ghost was pressing down --gaining, slowly but surely. She was sweating, giving out by the second. He had won, she could feel it in her bones. She was done. But she kept fighting. Anything for Rhalla. Anything.

The rogue growled out in sheer exertion. Her next best idea was not terribly honorable -but Iris supposed some things were best solved with a knee to the cock. Ghost hissed at the impact. He staggered enough for Iris to roll him off her.

She had to get a weapon. Oh gods, her shoulder ached. She felt it now. The first thing she was able to safely grab was the throwing blade scattered on the floor from where he'd dropped it. But it was a throwing blade. So now she had to get distance. As Ghost got to his feet, Iris rushed to Rhalla's side, weapon perched for use.

Ghost stopped and rolled to the balls of his feet, ready to dodge. If he dodged... there was nothing else Iris could hope to do.

"Is it worth it?" the assassin had to ask. "You're not my contract, Iris. I am under no obligation to bring you to harm. But I'll have to kill you if you don't move. And I will kill you. You're down to one throwing knife, and I'm quick on my feet." He took a breath. "I don't want to kill you."

"Bullshit," Iris finally spoke.

"It's not. You're a very respectable woman. Best fight I've ever had, Miss Gwenneth... you truly live up to the tales." Pause. "It's two deaths or one. She won't even feel it."

"No," Iris hissed. "You won't kill her until I'm dead first."

"Then give it your best throw, Miss Gwenneth."

Iris gripped her throwing blade and searched for anything that might help her. Anything at this point. He waited for her to go ahead and take her shot so he could safely finish his business afterward. Meanwhile, she explored her weaknesses. Her strengths. Finally, her surroundings. Everything. In the end, it didn't come down to training, to secret skills, to complex maneuvers, or poison. It didn't come down to determination, or strength, or some last stand bullshit.

It all came down, funnily enough, to a rope in a bucket. A rope in a fucking bucket. Her second guardian trial. She'd sold out her body throwing that rope up, climbing pillars... but all she'd had to do was tell the gods damned guardian to drop the bucket. Something so simple it was almost stupid. Lesson learned. Sometimes, she didn't have to play the hero.

Iris let out a shrill laugh. "I don't have to kill you to beat you."

Ghost cocked his head.

"I don't have to be stronger. I don't have to win," she took a breath. "I just have to be smart."

Just as directed, she gave that knife her best hurl.

Ghost might've been able to dodge that throw...

But Baron Riasion didn't.

The blade sunk right between the baron's eyes, snuffing away his life for good. Iris watched him slump over his son, and then met the assassin's eyes. "He's no longer alive to pay your for your service," she said with sharp gaze. "Your contract... is null."

Ghost stared for a moment in disbelief at the now dead baron. His head turned back to Iris. Suddenly, the assassin laughed a loud laugh. Ghost sheathed his daggers, and offered slow applause. After a moment of that, he settled himself, even if Iris remained on edge. "Clever, clever, girl." His eyes roved over her in a way that made her dress feel very scant -like he could very well eat her alive. "It seems I have been outplayed."

Iris set her jaw.

"This was enlightening," Ghost sobered. "You're tremendous at what you do. But you could always be better. We all can always be better. If you ever have interest in further training -training no one else can give you, seek me out in Oraborn. If you ask for me, I'll know it. You've intrigued me a great deal, Miss Gwenneth." A wisp of a grin came to life on his face. "Beyond that? Pray we never meet again. I will do the same."

Iris scrunched her face, and simply said. "Go. Home."

Ghost ducked into a bow, and left the room without another word. He meticulously avoided the puddles of blood all the way, despite being covered in gore already. He stopped only at where he'd dropped his cloak. When he found that it was covered in guts, he scoffed an obscenity and left it behind. Iris watched him disappear through the doors.

She waited for a few minutes. When she was at least half sure he wouldn't come back, she glanced sideways at her sister's lap. Even with all said and done, she still couldn't bear to look into Rhalla's eyes. She didn't even want her sister to look at her -especially in the room where she'd taken out so many so viciously. Iris couldn't bear to see the disappointment.

In a low tone, Iris just said. "Sit tight. I'll find Nealon to unchain you."

The rogue left the room.

----

Two hours later, and all the girls were still finishing up packing to leave. In that time, Rhalla had managed to find where the baron had put her armor and weapon, too, which was a definite plus. She'd immediately gotten rid of the vile dress they'd put her in and suited back up. Gods, did she feel way better, especially now that she wasn't chained to a chair. She'd checked the prisons too, in that time, but there was no sign of her family.

That included her sister. She hadn't seen Iris since her fight with Ghost. She was worried her sister had run off -even more worried that her sister had... no. Iris couldn't just end her life. But she'd tried earlier. Rhalla was just about sick with apprehension when Nealon finally walked up to her.

"I found Iris," he said quietly.

Hench jumped at that. "Is she alright?"

Nealon shrugged. "She's alive. Up on the East Wing balcony."

Hench nearly charged headlong up the stairs. She wanted to get to Iris... but something held her in place. She faced Baron Riasion's living son. "In all the madness, I haven't given you a proper thank you, Nealon. I..." she took a breath. "...If you ever need the service of a Remorda Guardian, for anything... If you ever need food, or shelter, or anything I can give you..."

"Seems like a lot to offer," Nealon whispered. "All I did was be a decent human being."

"Still, I offer it," Rhalla countered. "And it was more than that. You know it was."

Nealon turned, and finally smiled for the first time since they'd met. It brightened his face considerably. "You look very formidable like that -in your armor. Do you know it?" There was a moment of silence. "You can do me a favor and see to it that those girls live a better life. They deserve it."

Rhalla nodded. "Consider it done."

"Well, go see your sister. I think she might need you."

Again, the mighty woman ducked her head. "I think she might." Pause. "Fare you well, Baron Nealon Riasion. May you live a fulfilling life."

Rhalla left him be. When she got far enough, she jogged. Her legs carried her up the spiral steps that led to the East Wing. She stopped at the glass doors that looked out over the balcony. Iris's black-clad form still sat face out on the railing. Hench's hand rested on the door handle. Seeing her sister brought back the battle with Ghost. Her sister had fought harder than Rhalla had ever witnessed back there -she had fought with everything she had. And if she hadn't been protecting her, Iris might've won. Hench had never before seen a fight quite like that. Iris had saved her life. Iris had saved all of them, even if her methods were... brutal.

Iris had saved everyone but herself.

Another memory surfaced, the one where Iris had willingly walked up for Ghost to murder her. A large lump settled in Rhalla's throat. What had pushed her sister to think that killing herself was the answer?

Rhalla opened the door. Iris didn't look back at her.

The mighty woman didn't know where to start. There was so much that she could say right now, it all jumbled together in her head. Before she could stop it, she choked out her main concern, as it were. She addressed the hurt in her heart, her tone cracking and breaking. "How could you? How fucking could you?"

Iris sat straighter and turned. "I'm sorry," she said, but her voice was dead. Rhalla's heart broke in her chest at the forsaken look in Iris's eyes -like she'd absolutely given up. The rogue just stared at Rhalla's legs, unable to face her. "The way they all died... what I did to Baron Riasion... it was too much. I realized it too late. The vengeance won, and for a moment, I was evil. I understand that."

"I don't care about that right now," Rhalla snapped. She grabbed Iris by her shoulders and shook her for a second. "Cover her eyes? Don't let her watch? What the fuck was that, Iris?" her words were hostile, but Rhalla had started crying. "I was supposed to just sit helpless as... as you fucking let him kill you? You just gave up! How could I have... why? Why would you do that? Look at me!"

Iris finally stared up. When Rhalla looked into her sister's shattered stare, she yanked Iris close and hugged her. "Please don't leave me," Hench said through her tears. "Please don't leave me. Especially not like that. I can't... I just can't..."

"I don't deserve someone as good as you," Iris said. "Not when I did..."

"No, stop!" Hench pulled her sister to arm's length. "Stop talking like you're a bad person! You didn't hurt an innocent party, Iris. Those people were child rapists. Kidnappers. As horrifying as it all was, they deserved what they got." There was a pause. "I admit, your actions still weren't right. An eye for an eye is still not right. An eye for an eye makes us our enemies. And what you did... was still inhumane. For a moment, I had no idea if you were... lost. But then I saw it in your face, you realized you'd went... dark. Your conscience had you try suicide. But you don't get to just give up, Iris!" Hench spat out. "That conscience is what separates the good guys from the bad. The ability to realize your mistakes and regret them." There was a pause. "That's the catch about being the good guys. Sometimes, we have to live with ourselves."

Iris sighed, and blinked away tears.

"Learn your lesson from this, okay?" Hench cried. "Learn from it and then move on. And I swear to all the gods, if you try to kill yourself again, I will beat your fucking ass. Do you understand?"

Iris nodded without a word. Catching her own breath, Rhalla let go of her sister. A moment passed. Finally, Hench said, "You saved me, Iris. I would have died were it not for you. Thank you." Rhalla gave a very small smile, and it took all the strength she had. "You stood against Ghost for me. You threw your body between us. That was badass."

Iris tried to smile back, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Yes, well... this world needs you, Rhalla. Your loved ones need you. The guardians need you."

There was a moment of silence.

"You're guardian master now," Iris replied, her voice low. "You should know that."

Rhalla's heart sunk quickly into her belly. She hadn't been there when Dyran had passed, she didn't know. "What do you mean, I'm guardian master now?" There was something in her eyes that begged for her friend to be okay.

"Master Dyran is dead," Iris said softly, sending Hench into sorrow. And then, Iris choked out. "So is his son."

They met eyes. Finally, Hench realized what she meant with absolute horror, not even having time to recover from the first bit of news. "Kayde..."

"...is gone," Iris cried. "He took a knife to the chest for me. I watched him fall right in front of me... because of me!" Now she sobbed. "I didn't even get to say goodbye before they dragged me away from him!"

"Iris..." Hench whispered, tears of despair falling down her own face. In the same minute, one of her best friends had died and her sister's partner had died. "Oh gods. Oh gods, I'm so sorry. I wish I... I don't know what I can say. I don't know how to make it better... Oh gods."

"It's okay," Iris said, going from wailing to completely hollow in one second. "There's nothing anyone can say anymore."

Silence.

"It's over," Iris said quietly. "It's all over. Now I live with it all."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.6K 1.2K 82
:Contains ACOSF and Az POV Spoilers: Gwyn is still chased by the ghosts of the past. She craves to find herself beyond that girl and find her place i...
407 29 2
Arin Belladonna has never been a people person. Raised in a family of independent women who seldom spoke about their emotions, she learned early on...
36K 1.8K 42
Eternal: (adj.) Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning Athanasia never complained about her situation. She never felt like she had th...
530 105 59
"I don't like to think of myself as this kickass, badass Lara Croft, no. But I try not to be your typical every day Jane Doe. So I where does that le...