Regrets and Mistakes

By murphyyy_xo

Secrets are meant to be kept secret, but some manage to surface. Unfortunately this has happened to Christen... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - one
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Four
THE SEQUEL

Sixteen

4.1K 88 16
By murphyyy_xo

Rachel's POV
I looked at Servando and back at my hands as they trembled. He stood up and sat next to me and took my hands in just one of his because they were so big. He used his other one to wipe the tears from my eyes.

"My wife is an incredible woman. She is loving and devoted and caring. And don't tell her I said this, but the woman is always right! I love my wife more than anything else in this world.... it kills me that I can't give her a baby. I really want a kid. And when that day comes, I'll learn to be a good dad. But my wife..... she's already there. She's a mother.... without a baby. I'll never forget the day she adopted you."
"What do you mean?"
"She called me and she was so happy. Happy that she got a kid. When Ashlyn called saying how much the two of you adored each other, I knew that our life was slowly falling together. All thanks to you. She adores you so much Rach and I know you adore her too. She'll do everything she can possibly to protect you from this place."
"I want to make things right between us again. I need to. I can't lose her."
"You won't lose her."
"How are you so sure about that?"
"Because I know my wife."

I turned my head and saw Alex standing on the dock. She got into the boat and set everything onto the ground. Serv stood up and walked away. I felt Alex staring right at me but I didn't want to turn. I saw her sit next to me and then the boat started moving. I looked straight ahead and watched as the sun was beginning to set.

"We don't have to talk about it now but just know that I'll always be here. I promise you that."

We sat in silence for a while and Servando sat with us. He sat on the other side of me so now I was in the middle of both of them. My phone started ringing and I reached over for it. It was an unknown number from the U.K. I answered it and brought the phone to my ear.

Me; Hello?
Nick; Hi, is this Rachel Montgomery?
Me; This is she. Who's speaking?
Nick; My name's Nick Cushing. I'm head co-
Me; Head coach of Manchester City Women's. Oh my god, I'm such a huge fan of your team. They're amazing.
Nick; Well I'm sure they'd be pleased to hear that seeing as their standing right next to me.
Me; Wait, really?
Nick; Yes. Listen, Rachel, the reason I'm calling is because I'd like to propose a proposition to you.
Me; Of course. What's up?
Nick; Are your parents with you by any chance?
Me; Yeah, my mom is. One second and I'll put you on speaker.

I looked at Alex and she looked at me in confusion. I smiled at her and put my phone on speaker and I could hear mumbling and whispers from the other line.

Me; You're on speaker here and my mom is next to me.
Nick; You're on speaker here too. The girls wanted to say hi but it'll have to wait. So, basically, seeing as you're 16 you're not eligible to play professionally  until you're 18 in the States, is that right?
Me; Yes.
Nick; Well here in the U.K. it's 17. I know your birthday is coming up soon so you'd be eligible. How would you like to come play here?
Me; Wait, seriously? Play for Man City?
Nick; Yes. You're well known here Miss Montgomery.
Me; Uh, my name is Rachel Morgan-Press. Montgomery was my foster family name. I'm back with my real family now.
Nick; That's amazing. So, you'll take it into consideration?
Me; Definitely. Wait, what about school? I'm only a junior and I've to take the year out because of my mother's schedules.
Nick; We can enrol you at a school here based on what you're studying in the states. I'll give you a month to discuss it with your parents and if you accept we'll fly you out here to sign some papers or if it's easier for you and your family we'll fly to you.
Me; Thank you so much for this opportunity. I'll call you in the next few weeks with my decision. When will I be joining if I accept?
Nick; My pleasure. Well it's August so October for pre- preseason and to get to know and used to all the girls. Now, if you've time the girls would like to speak with you.
Me; Oh course. Put them on.

I chuckled when I heard the squealing in the background. I looked at Alex and Servando and they beamed at me.

Steph; Hi Rachel, I'm Steph Houghton, captain here in Man City.
Me; Hello, how're things?
Steph; Great. The girls wanted to say hello so if you're free they'd like to FaceTime or Skype or something so they can see you.
Me; Of course. Just click on the FaceTime button.

I picked up my phone from the seat and brought it up to my face. Seconds later all the girls faces appeared, smiling. They all waved and I chuckled and waved back.

Me; It's nice to meet you guys.
Jill; Damn, are you on a boat? Jill Scott by the way. Nice to meet you.
Me; Uh, yeah. It's my mom's. She lives here in Orlando with her husband.
Jill; Where do you live?
Me; Chicago with my birth mom. It's a long story. I think you might know them actually. After all England and the USA are rivals in soccer.

I turned the phone so Alex could get in. She smiled and waved at the camera and all the girls jaws dropped and Alex and I chuckled.

Alex; Hello ladies. Hey Houghton.
Steph; Morgan, it's nice to see you again. How've you been?
Alex; Grand and yourself? How's everything?
Steph; Good, good. We're really looking forward to hearing yer decision on the offer. You've got a talented daughter Morgan. You should be really proud.
Alex; I am, she's full of surprises. We must discuss it with her other mother first and if you're free the same time tomorrow you could call so we can talk about it together?
Steph; Of course. We'll let you guys go. It's nice to talk to you Rachel. Talk to you tomorrow.
Rachel; Bye Miss Houghton. Bye girls.

I hung up and the smile never left my face. I looked at Alex and she smiled at me. I looked at my phone and opened it. I went into mom's contact and went into messages.

"Don't. Wait until they all come over for dinner."

I nodded and went out of messages. Servando started the boat again and turned it around. I went into twitter and saw all the Man City girls started following me. I smiled and followed them back. I went into notifications and saw Steph mentioned me in comment. I clicked onto it and saw it was a photo of me on FaceTime and all the girls gathered around the laptop smiling. I retweeted it and seconds later I was getting blown up by questions. I turned off my phone and looked up to see we just pulled up by the house.

Servando helped me out and I helped Alex. They started heading up to the house but stayed by the water.

"You coming Rach?"
"Nah. I'm gonna stay down here for a while."
"Okay. I'll call you when dinner is ready."

I sat down on the edge of the dock and let my legs dangle off the edge. I stared at the water watching it swish back and forth peacefully and thought about my future. If I accept the offer then I'll get to play professional soccer but leave my family but if I decline, who knows what's in store for me? I should probably make a list of pros and cons.

"May I?"

I jumped a little and turned my head to see Alyssa. I nodded and scooted over a bit so she could sit. She sat down next to me and our shoulders touched and she looked at me and smiled.

"So, you're the talk of the house tonight."
"Ain't I always when we're with international teammates?"
"True. So, what did you do this time?"
"Would you believe me if I said nothing?"
"Nope."
"Well then. I actually didn't do anything. But I did get a call."
"Rachel if you tell me you did something that involves the police I will actually kill you before your mother finds out."
"No, god, I'm not that idiotic. I got a call from Nick Cushing, the head coach of Manchester City ladies. He offered me a spot on his team."
"Oh wow."
"Rachel! Lys! Dinner."

We both turned our heads to see Alex waving her hands signalling us inside. We both stood up and walked up to the house. I saw mom and she motioned me over so I walked over. She handed me a plate and kissed my cheek.

"Hey, I missed you."
"I missed you too."

We all went outside and sat around the patio and ate dinner. Alex cleared her throat after everyone had eaten and we all looked at her. I glared at her and she nodded her head towards me.

"So, seeing as everyone here are the closest friendships, Rachel has something she needs to say."

They all looked at me in confusion and I glared at Alex. I looked at Alyssa and she gave me a thumbs up. Ashlyn and Ali looked worried, Zach and Julie were at the edge of their seats and mom was looking at me in confusion.

"I, uh, I.... Earlier I got a call from a guy called Nick Cushing. Nick is the head coach of the Manchester City women's team and wants me to join the next season. That's if Alex and mom allow me and now I guess all I kind of need all of you guys permission."
"Oh wow. Does he need an answer immediately or do we have time?"
"He's giving me a month to decide and if I accept, either I'll fly there and sign the contract or they'll come to me. Depending on your schedules."
"That's a really big deal Rach. Living alone in a city halfway across the world without family."
"I know it is but it's going to help me a player. I know you hate leaving me alone at home so I don't know how you're going to cope with halfway across the world, but just think of it a learning experience. I'll have roommates and they'll help me out going to and from training. Please just take that into consideration."

I looked at all them. Julie was looking between mom and Zach. I looked at mom as she looked at Alex.

"Mom?"
"You said I have a month to think about it, right?"
"Yeah."
"When would you have to move?"
"October or November. I'll probably be missing Thanksgiving and probably Christmas bu-"
"I've a month to think about it."
"I know but mom-"
"Rachel I need to discuss it with them before I can jump to conclusions. I don't know any of the girls so how can I know if they're trustworthy? How do I know that it's not a setup because your mine and Alex's daughter?"
"Is that all you think of me? Your daughter? I know I'm your daughter but I more than just your daughter. You've got a lot of nerve saying that shit when you weren't there for most of my life. I was a recognised soccer player before you came back into my life. I got recognised for my skills. Not because I'm your daughter. Excuse me."

I picked up my plate and walked inside. I set it on the island and walked out of the kitchen. I found their office and grabbed a pen and paper and began writing. After I was satisfied with I wrote, I walked to the front door and opened it. I stepped out and closed it behind me quietly. Blue came running to me and I walked to the grass. I sat down and he sat in my lap. I rubbed his head and looked up at the sky. After a few minutes I heard the front door open and turned my head to see Julie. She walked over and sat down next to me.

"She's beating herself up inside there, you know."
"You can't expect me to apologise to her after what she said."
"I know and I don't. What she said was completely out of line but if there's one thing that I know the two you have in common is that neither of you can stay mad at each other for long."
"Not this time."

I looked away from her and down at Blue as he slept in my lap. I continued rubbing his head and sighed.

"You really want to go don't you?"
"More than anything."
"What am I going to do when you're gone? You're basically my daughter too."

I looked at her and frowned. I watched as she brought her hand to her eyes and wiped her tears. She stood up and walked away. She walked into the house and closed the door again. I pulled my phone out and turned it on. I went into her contact and sent her a message.

I really need you so wherever you are please call me when you have the chance. I really need to hear your voice and tell me that everything's going to be okay even though it's not.

I pressed send and closed my phone. I put my head in my hands and let the tears fall. Seconds later my phone started ringing and her face appeared.

Hope; Where are you?
Me; Alex's.
Hope; Oh kid, you're so lucky I'm actually here for a conference. I'll be over in fifteen. Hang in there.

The line went dead and I let out a sigh of relief. I slowly lifted Blue off my legs and stood up. I walked inside and went to find my bag. I found it in the hall and picked it up. I walked to the front door and opened it again.

"You're running."
"I'm not the one with the problem surprisingly this time. I'll be with Hope so if you want me then call her."
"You don't need to run."
"I'm not running dammit! Jesus Christ, I'm not a kid anymore. You guys have to give me space so I can fuck up. I won't grow if I don't learn from my mistakes."

Ashlyn looked taken back by what I said. I sighed and ran my hands over my face and through my hair. The kitchen door opened and mom and Alex stepped out and walked towards us. Alex looked at me in confusion and then saw my bag and her expression softened.

"You're leaving."
"Yeah, liste-"
"Where?"
"Hope's on her way."
"Oh. Have fun then."
"Al-"
"That must be her."

A car pulled up and Alex opened the door. A few seconds later Hope walked in and looked at us. She looked at me and frowned. I reached into my bag and pulled out the envelope I wanted to give to Alex. I looked at it for a few seconds before looking at her. I stepped towards her and handed it to her.

"What's this?"
"Just something."

I closed my bag again and turned to Hope. She frowned and opened the door. I walked out to her car and put my bags into the back seats and got into the front. She came out and got in and reversed out.

"Where to?"
"The hotel I'm staying at and then the airport."
"Why the airport?"
"I'm going home for a while. I've got unfinished business there I need to attend."

I gave her the name of the hotel and she brought me there. She parked the car and we both got out and walked in. We got into the elevator and I pressed on my floor. Seconds later we got off and I led her to my room.

It took a while but we finally made it to the airport. Hope was reluctant to let me go but she did eventually. I got my ticket and went to my gate after saying goodbye to her.

Alex's POV
I quietly shut the office door behind me. I walked over to the desk and sat on the chair. I opened the envelope and took out the letter.

Dear Mum,
I know we've had our fair share of arguments over the last few months, and I'm sorry about that, but I've been thinking a lot lately. About the future.

I love my family more than anything in this life and I was incredibly lucky to have a family as welcoming and loving in this lifetime. I really don't deserve you guys.

I've been keep a few things from you guys recently. They don't seem like big things but legally they're huge. I didn't grow up here in the states. I'm only a citizen because I was born here and spent three years of my life here. When I was three Caleb got really sick and the only place for getting the treatment he needed was in England. Once we found out that information we were out of the States, all packed, and gone in a week and never looked back.

Seeing as I spent eleven years there, they claimed me as an English citizen as well. I keep my English passport hidden from everyone because I don't want them to know but people have started to find out in the soccer world over there. I've recently gotten offers from Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and now Man City. They've all given me amazing offers  and I really want to accept Man City. I know Arsenal have Heather but Man City have Lucy Bronze and Jill Scott. I could learn so much from them.

My citizenship needs to be renewed here in the states by the end of September and I'm not renewing it. While you guys think I'm spending the night with Hope I'm actually flying home to Chicago. By the time you'll get through to me I'll have my decision given to Nick and probable on the way to the airport.

I'm sorry you're going to find out this way but it's time I take life into my own hands and see what it has in store for me. I'll no longer be of option for the national team here so I'm going to work my ass off to make the English one and hopefully see you on the field in years to come.

I love you mum. Tell them I'm sorry but this is what I need to do.

Rachel x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 3.6K 63
Karima has been through a lot . But she doesn't want you to know that. Raised in an abusive household unable to distinguish right or wrong, Karima ca...
145K 2.6K 37
Almost every foster kid wonders about who their parents are. But when I found out who my birth mother is, my world changed. My name is Olivia Eleni P...
17.7K 293 16
USWNT child one shots!! REQUESTS OPEN!!! (I give credit) Mainly Morgan, Press, Heath, and O'Hara from USWNT but might add some some others and woso I...
23.1K 466 35
August Alsina's daughter? A whole 16 year old daughter a secret? Nobody knows abt her, is she really his daughter? I think it's all a lie!!