The Alpha's Done. Rucas Fanfi...

By taylorcochran93

She was beautiful. I was doing fine, I didn't need a Luna. I didn't want a mate. Until I saw her. More

Chapter 1. Croquembouche.
Chapter 2. Devil's Food Cake.
Chapter 3. Cannoli.
Chapter 4. Linzer Torte.
Chapter 5. Macaroon.
Chapter 6. Lemon Bars.
Chapter 7. Strawberry Shortcake.
Chapter 8. Angel Delight.
Chapter 9. Brownies.
Chapter 11. Sorbet.
Chapter 12. Apple Pie.
Diagram.
Chapter 13. Brownies.
Chapter 14. Cupcakes
Chapter 15. Molten Lava Cake.
Chapter 16. Cronut.

Chapter 10. Fruit Tart.

1K 42 11
By taylorcochran93

_______________________

Chapter 10 – Tart

Chapter Song – There Goes My Everything by Kane Brown

Chapter Quote – "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." – Albert Einstein

Content Warning: Language

----------------------------------------

At the young age of five, a mere pup, I remember watching my father.

He was my idol, the man I wanted to mold myself to become and the kind of Alpha I am still striving to be. My dad was the male you read about in story books; he survived many wars, almost died twice to save some of his pack members, and the best father any pup could ask for. Brave, kind and loving were just a few adjectives that were mentioned at his memorial service. From the moment, I understood a pack dynamic, my eyes were trained on him.

Watching, learning and forming them into my very being like a second skin.

I'd be captivated at how he could rule with an iron fist. His dominating, firm voice never wavered when stating a decision that had to be made for the well-being of the pack. Even when I knew it was an indecisive and unpopular one. His stance, decisions and pure ferociousness on the battlefield deemed him a force to be reckoned with when stories were spoken. But those were in other packs. In our pack, during times of peace, my dad was known as being kind and generous. We would take time out of my training to go and visit the elderly and young pups, 'because they need to trust their leader', he'd say before I'd even had a chance to complain.

He was an amazing Alpha male.

It wasn't until I met Riley that I finally understood what an incredible mate he was to my mother. I was always a momma's pup, embarrassingly so. I loved watching her eyes fill up with pride, and up until I heard it was 'uncool', which was around age nine, I loved the cheek kisses I'd get from my mom. It was then that I couldn't stomach the affection my parents had for one another. The fucking googly eyes he'd make towards my mom while she was watching a movie, or while my mom danced around the kitchen, were insane to me.

I was fucking nine years old, how the hell was I supposed to know that cooties don't truly exist?

I digress. Every time, I'd scrunch my nose up at the gentle touches or quick pecks, my father was quick to correct me. 'Learn to separate yourself son. Be an Alpha, but also be a mate. You'll learn.' Then he'd ruffle my hair, create a goofy face and make me laugh before stalking off towards my mom once more.

It wasn't until Riley that I truly understood what he meant by 'be an Alpha, but also be a mate'. The moment my eyes peeled open to the sun beaming in through the windows of Riley's bedroom, my phone was consistently buzzing. As if there was one long, never-ending phone call. For the first time though, I didn't care. As an Alpha, I'll always want what is best for the pack. In this case, what's best for the pack is me spending some undisturbed time with my mate. "Ugh," I groaned and made a move to roll over and cuddle into Riley, only to find her spot empty and cold. I swear to the Goddess, if she left for work, I'll turn her ass red.

Throwing the blankets off my legs, I stalk out of her brightly decorated bedroom and into the dimly lit hallway. As the scent of strawberries mixed with something even sweeter became stronger, the size of my strides became slimmer until I came to a complete halt at the doorway of the kitchen. The cutest sight in the world greeted me.

Dark rimmed glasses were perched on the tip of her nose. Her entire face was scrunched up in concentration as she stared at the laptop in front of her, while her hair rested sloppily on top of her head. Riley's over-sized sweater that she must have changed into this morning was falling off the shoulder. The skin of her collarbone was pure, untainted and clean. Goddamn it was calling out to me like a siren, beckoning me forward to mark and mate her. Gabriel howled at the idea, only making the urge stronger. "Good morning my beautiful girl," I whispered while sauntering towards her. Her deep chocolate eyes snapped towards my face only to dwindle about a foot lower. My bare chest was on display, not that I thought about that when I went on the hunt for her this morning. By her dilated pupils and the way she's licking her lips I'm glad I didn't.

"Good morning, Lucas. Did you sleep well?"

My lips press against her smooth cheek in a small act of endearment, "best night yet." Adorably, she bit into her bottom lip and casted her face downwards. I'm sure because she sensed her cheeks flushing. Unable to stop myself, I kissed her directly on the lips. I don't think I'll ever get over the way I feel when I kiss or touch, or even think about Riley. "Pancakes are on the counter, would you like some?" Nodding, because I can't find the words to speak, I just watch as she grins wildly and struts into the kitchen.

Maybe one day we'll have a pup who will scrunch up their nose at the way that I watch their mom. Then I can explain to them that one day they'll understand. Riley's just entirely captivating, though she's as clumsy as a newly walking toddler, the kitchen is where she's most graceful. Every moment is fluid, with a grace that most dancers don't possess. The kitchen was Riley's stage, I was just the lucky bastard who got to watch her perform. "These are my homemade ones. Breakfast and baking are my specialties," she giggles, "but you'll be in charge of everything else."

Laughing, I nod in agreement while she sets the plate in front of me. Before she has time to pull her hand away, I grasp it within my own and place a small kiss to the back of her hand in thanks. "Thank you," but it is always best to verbalize, "join me." It wasn't a question, more like a request. However, when her eyes light up in pure happiness I know I did something right. Riley scurries back to the kitchen, grabs her own plate and basically skips back to the table. Only I frown when I see there's only one, "go get you some more, doll. You'll be hungry."

She shakes her head, the cluster of hair almost falls out of its perfect mess from the movement. "I actually ate before you got up." And that is how she ended up eating breakfast in my lap, with me peppering kisses over her neck and shoulder any chance I got.

Riley didn't protest when I patted my leg, only perched herself on my knee and relaxed into my chest. I'd cut up a piece of pancake and give her a bite while I was chewing my own. It was a system, a routine that I absolutely could get used to. This was my cloud nine. "What are your plans for today doll?"

She sighs and glances at the clock on the microwave, "unfortunately I'll have to go to work soon." The second she finishes her sentence a squeak pulls out of her mouth. Hands slap across her luscious lips and wide eyes stare at me. My brow arches in question, what's happening? "I can't believe that for the first time I don't want to go to work. That just doesn't happen." The mate bond is a wonderful fucking thing.

I laugh out loud when the hands on her lips glide across her skin to hold her cheeks. "It's okay doll. Even if we love what we do in life, we need a break sometimes. Did your mom or friend cover for you this morning?"

Riley nodded in agreement, "we were super busy yesterday so I baked a bunch. Which meant that by the end of the day when it slowed down, I made too much. That will get us through the morning, but I need to be there within the hour. I'm assuming Maya is still sick."

Sick. Well, according to my zeta, Zay, she is far from sick. That woman is a spit-fire from what I understand. One that I will have to deal with once I'm done here. "I hope she gets feeling better doll. I have a few meetings but then I will come pick you up afterwards. Does that sound okay?"

"Perfect," she grins and leans into peck my lips. I can tell she's shocked by the bold action, she'll fall into any sort of affection I offer but rarely does she up and kiss me out of nowhere. "You're more than welcome to stay here and clean up or do you need to get back?"

By the sound of my phone I can still hear buzzing, I tell her that it's best I go back no matter how goddamn much I don't want to. I'd rather spend the rest of my life in the fantasy world my mate and I live in then be pulled back into reality. The reality where her best friend could be potentially dangerous to my mate or my pack. The reality where my mate works too much but barely makes rent, and the reality that a vampire or possibly vampires are in my town.

My plan was to leave.

Really and truly it was. But, then she took off her glasses and dusted a bit of powder on her face and a swipe of mascara on her already long lashes. When she had to re-do her hair over and over again, I forced my laugh down to keep her from getting even more frustrated. Riley was just so, beautiful. Not even that could do my female justice. Even being shooed out of her room so she could get dressed was downright adorable.

But when I watched her skip into the bakery only to stop at the door and turn around, my heart stopped in my chest. I fucking died and went to heaven. Sunlight beamed down on her, enhancing every dip and curve of her perfect frame. The rays lit up her eyes into more of a honey brown and showcased the red hues in her hair. It was the smile though. That beautiful white smile could get me even through the absolute shittiest day.

We had kissed before she got out of the truck, but when she saw my truck door opening she walked back towards me. And somehow her smile got wider. Heavy, fast paced steps couldn't get me there fast enough. But when they did, my left hand wove around her waist, my right dove into her hair and my lips landed on hers. It wasn't a kiss that anyone should watch us share, but seeing as people were nosy fuckers and no doubt watching us anyways I thought why not give them a show – just to prove she's off limits. My tongue licked the seam of her lips and without hesitation she opened up to me. I was surrounded by her sweetness.

Everything was fucking strawberries and sweet.

Everything is Riley. She's my everything.

"I'll pick you up after work."

"Can't wait," she breathes and inches out of my hold. I watched her until I couldn't anymore, until she was in her kitchen and the door was swinging to a stop.

**

"Make sure these letters get delivered to all the tenants of that apartment building." Farkle, my delta, nods his head in agreement while his eyes roam over the paperwork I was about to sign in order to purchase the apartments Riley was living in. My delta was basically my lawyer. Among other things, Farkle is my alliance negotiator and contract advisor. Putting him in charge to oversee this endeavor was an easy decision.

Farkle sets the paperwork on my desk and points to an empty line, "sign there and on the next five pages and you should be all set." Doing as he told, my ears are open and ready to listen as he continues to speak. "Are you sure that you don't want to charge rent to all the other tenants? That's a heavy loss up front, and these apartments are already in a sketchy area."

Gabriel growls, knowing that our mate lives in said 'sketchy area', makes us quite antsy. "Wave all past dues, and three months of rent for free. If I were to just do it for Riley and she were to find out, it could be considered offensive."

Farkle nods in agreement and grabs the pile of papers out of my hands, "it will be yours by the end of the day. I'm headed there now. Tell my mate that it is your fault I'm not around today." I chuckle at the thought. Smackle doesn't like it when he isn't around the pack house. Being the Theta, pack doctor, means you have to stick close to this area in case something was to happen.

I was barely alone for five minutes when shouting from outside the door interrupts my work. Frowning, I wait. The only room on this floor was mine and my office, so I wasn't too surprised whenever I heard a loud knock. "Come in." I prepared myself for the worst, but when a smiling Zay brought in a struggling blonde female, my shoulders slumped in relaxation. "I come bearing gifts, Alpha."

The left side of my lip quirked upwards, he was always humorous. The scowling blonde in front of me thought quite the opposite. "I almost forgot. Maya, how are you?" Her eyes narrowed in pure anger. This female was pissed, not that my wolf cared. Gabriel was pissed at the blatant disrespect, "lower your eyes female. You will challenge me and lose, whether you are a witch or not means nothing to me."

Sighing, she took my advice and scanned the office with her baby blue eyes. The chains locking her hands together rattled when she tried to shake off my Zeta's hold. "Maybe not. But being your mates best friend means the world." The force of which I was holding my desk causes it to crack under the pressure. "I knew you were mates the moment she told me about the sparks you two felt. I had a strong suspicion, but Riley has never been that way with anyone." My wolf liked her a bit more after that reassurance. The thought of her simply going on a date with another male had me boiling with anger.

"You don't seem to like the idea of Riley and I being mates."

Maya scoffed, "mates are awesome. Witches don't have mates, unfortunately. It's what finding Riley's mate means for her."

Why does it sound as if she knew Riley would have a mate? It isn't rare for wolves to have human mates but the ratio from wolves to humans was large. The chances of her being my mate were less than a half percent, astronomical if you ask me. Before I got a chance to ask, my office door swung open to pound against the wall and leaving a hole in the process.

Growling, I leaped over my desk and met my fuming Beta head on. His eyes were blazing while staring me down, "you took my female from me."

He took another step forward and was met with my warning growl. "Watch your step and tone, Beta. Gabriel is on edge and do not tolerate disrespect. She has not been harmed." His blue eyes ringed with amber flash towards Maya who stares wide-eyed, watching the exchange in fascination. I glance her direction and smirk, "witches have mates if a wolf says so."

"She has handcuffs on, like a damn prisoner." Charging towards me, I catch him. My arms are wrapped around his torso, only to flip him over my shoulder and plant him firmly on my back. His teeth began to elongate, eyes were blazing with pure fire.

"Submit." From the raw power laced within every syllable, his wolf's anger dissipates into nothingness now that he realizes who is truly in charge. "Be lucky Beta, if anyone else had seen your obvious disrespect to my title, I would have stripped you of yours." A small whimper resounds from his throat, his wolf not enjoying the threat to his title. "Your female was not harmed. She was given the best guest room possible and given care for her migraine she in fact did have, then fed from our chef. I would not harm your mate nor my mates best friend."

Rising off the floor, he angles his neck in submission. "I apologize, Alpha. My wolf was going crazy."

"Don't. Do it. Again."

He nods frantically and mutters small thanks. If I were still mate less, no way would I have been as kind. But I know the adrenaline that can course through my veins at the thought of seeing her. If I had said adrenaline but was unable to locate Riley, I'd attack anything in sight. Josh sidesteps me and shoves Zay's hand off of his mate, his eyes doing a quick scan to make sure she is alright before embracing her in a hug. "Goddess, I was worried."

Her brows are furrowed as she leans away and stares into his eyes, "how'd you know I was your mate when I have no scent?"

Josh smirks, "my wolf knew when we made eye contact. And I'm not ashamed to say I followed you home one night and your scent was everywhere." By the expression on her face, he probably should have been ashamed to say it.

"We will be discussing this later." She demands, ignoring his wide smile and awed expression while stroking her arm. Those fucking sparks are almost too much to handle. "But right now, Alpha, we need to speak about Riley."

That catches my attention. "Uncuff her. Take a seat and talk."

Maya sits in the chair across from my desk and sighs into her hands. "Goddess, this is going to be arduous and difficult to explain but I need you to pay close attention. I'm one hundred and twenty four years old. When I was one hundred and seven years old, the Moon Goddess sent me on a mission."

"What mission?" I asked, perplexed. It was rare for there to be anyone to speak to the moon goddess. Oracles themselves were all but eradicated by vampires during the last war.

"To protect Riley. To protect her, and when she meets her mate to help protect them."

**

Word Count: 3,151

Date Published: June 28, 2017

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313 46 24
"Why haven't you told him yet?" She asked. " telling him won't do him any good let's just leave it" I answered , I could feel my heart breaking at th...
105K 3.9K 28
❝In a world that was black and white, she brought color into it. She was worth the fight, even when he was still fighting himself.❞
147K 3.7K 11
𝐄𝐌𝐏𝐓𝐘. ❝ i never thought i could feel like this, even after you've broken my heart. ❞ 𝐅𝐀𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐖𝐎...
4.3K 252 24
He was normal but it didn't turn out so well. As time went on....He felt like he was waiting for something. He had a desire.....a Lust for somet...