The Disappearance of Jessica...

By WritingAvengerA113

BOOK 3 OF THE JESSI STARK SERIES. Jessica Stark has found herself on the run with the government at her heel... More

:)
1. The Disappearence
2. Maddox Lee Barton
3. The Farm
4. Ames Justice
5. New York
6. Coffee
7. Morgan
8. The Flare
9. The Bleachers
10. Lights
11. Pity
12. Justice
13. Bird Man
14. Better
16. Jessi Stark
17. Anchors
18. Spider-man
19. Tonight
20. The Tower
21. New York City
22. Battle of the Skies
23. How it Ends
24. Feels like War
25. Home
26. Heartbreak and Celebration
27. Armistice
28. The Stare of a Thousand Eyes
29. Be With You
30. Red Capes
31. 177A Bleecker St.
32. Loki
33. I Promise
34. Benedict
35. End Credit Scene

15. Hallway

6.4K 279 50
By WritingAvengerA113

      The next day was Sunday, I trained with Stephanie all day and she helped me with skill. It was body aching workouts followed by a run. We had less than a week before we'd return home. It all depended on when Westbrook and Maxwell were finished with their plan.

      They were going to halt the distribution of illegal weapon deals, and Stephanie and I would go after April and rescue Henry, her father. After about three hours of training, I fell down on my back and stared up at the sky. Stephanie looked down at me with her hands on her hip "Done already?" She asked.

"Sorry for being human and tired"

      "Actually you are a super human" she corrected, I shrugged. She laid down behind me, her head was inches from mine on the grass "I hope my Dad is okay" she said, her voice became filled with worry.

      "If he's not okay, I'll kill her" I was talking about April "Wait a minute" I shook my head "Your Dad is immortal... he actually can't die for good, right?

"Doesn't mean I can't worry" she pointed out, running her fingers in the grass.

      "How does that work anyway? You and your Dad. I mean, you're going to get older while he... doesn't. I can't imagine it" I laced my fingers behind my head. The grass tickled the backs of my hands.

      "Well, it's not easy" Stephanie admitted "Being around for almost 300 years can get lonely. I'm the third child that he has had"

"Third?" My eyes widened "What... what happened to the rest?"

      "What do you think?" She stared off in to the sky "They get old, and eventually die" I felt a sting in my heart. Two of his children have passed away already. In the next 80 years or so... Stephanie is next.

"But, why? Why would he do that to himself?"

      Stephanie nodded, understanding my question. Why would someone have kids, knowing full well that they'll pass on before him. You're setting yourself up for heartbreak "This is what my Dad told me" Stephanie sat up and wrapped her arms around her knees "Having a child is the most noteworthy experience on the planet"

      "You only have one shot to do things right. There's no erasing and going back to the drawing board. For my Father, he feels complete to have someone with him, someone he can teach and explore with. He doesn't like to be alone" she lowered her eyes, looking almost sad. But then she perked up slightly "He seems to be quite fond of you, especially since you're Tara Carters daughter. He's known you since the day you were born"

      I smiled "You're Dad's pretty cool. He broke me out of prison, that was nice" I chuckled, and remembered being in that damp prison cell wearing those ugly blue pajamas. Sam, Wanda, that Ant Dude, and Clint were in there with me. Who knows where they are now. I stared up to the sky, thinking of my Dad "My Dad's pretty awesome" I breathed "He took me on a Heli-Carrier and introduced me to the Avengers"

      "He's taught me about science and engineering, work ethic and the basics of sarcasm. I would be little to nothing if it wasn't for him. At first he..." I chuckled "he didn't like me very much. I was very annoying" Stephanie laughed "Then, one day he showed that he loved me. I called him Dad for the first time, and it felt right. I never had a Dad before, it was the most overwhelming experience... knowing that someone truly loves me"

      I looked to Stephanie "We had a small family, him and I, and Pepper" I thought about that strawberry blonde woman who became like my surrogate Mother. Two months ago she broke off her relationship with my Dad and me. It wasn't the first mother figure that I had lost. She left him without saying goodbye. I had to find out through a phone conversation. I'm not mad at her, just disappointed.

     "And soon, our family expanded. We learned of different realms and people with super powers. But no matter how big things got, Dad always stayed with me. He continued to teach me things and even let me go on some Avenger missions" I remembered Ultron in Africa and also New York "But then... the war happened. Steve went rogue, turns out Sergeant Barnes killed my Mom and my Grandparents" Stephanie nodded her head "Dad got mad, no, he got furious. I went one way and he went the other. We both said... and did things that we didn't mean"

      "He shot you" Stephanie stated. I looked up to her, confused as to how she knew that "My Father told me" she explained quickly.

      "In Siberia" I whispered, my voice trailing away "But, what he did doesn't define him. I know deep down that when he did it, it wasn't him. He had just found out that Bucky killed his parents, and he was enraged. I tried to stop him from doing anything, but... it didn't end well" I shrugged "When people are hurt there is no filter. The sense of right and wrong goes away. The thought of consequences doesn't register until after the action is committed"

"Are you... mad at him? Is that why you haven't returned?"

      "No" I shook my head swiftly "I'm not mad, I never was. I... ugh" I wiped under my eyes, feeling tears form from out of nowhere "I just-" I bit my trembling lip, looking away from her "I don't think he wants anything to do with me anymore, and he shouldn't. After what I did, I don't deserve that. What I do deserve is that prison cell. So..." I took a deep breath, rolling my shoulders back to stand up straighter "I've decided that once this is all over, I'm going to turn myself into Secretary Ross. I'll tell him I was in Tahiti or something"

      "Well, I can't say that I'm excited to hear that" she admitted, running her fingers through her long black hair "You have a life to live, prison shouldn't be something that you want to go to"

"I just don't want to be the cause of anyone's pain anymore"

***

      Laura set her baby Nathaniel in his crib and tucked the blanket around his body. Lila was wrapped her legs, and Cooper stood by the crib and smiled down to his baby brother. I stood out in the hallway, watching the little family. Part of my longed for a family like this.

      Siblings, parents, a nice home in the quite country. Cooper was the first to notice me standing there. I quickly backed away from the door and down to my room at the other end of the hall "You're welcome to... come in here with us" Cooper said from the door. He was standing out in the hallway.

      "I don't want to intrude. It's your family, not mine" I went to my door and opened it "But thanks for the invite" Cooper nodded "Good night, Cooper"

"Night, Jessi"

      I closed the door and took a deep breath. Steve's shield still rested against the wall in the corner of the room. I thought of saying goodbye to him at the laboratory in Wakanda. I was saying good bye to everything that I'd ever known back then.

***

      Tony was back at Avengers Tower. He was with Happy Hogan and they were busy packing up his belongings. They had sold the tower and were preparing to move. He strolled down the hallway, dreading the next room. It had purple walls and a window that over looked the beautiful city. A bed with black sheets and white pillows rested in the corner.

      A simple white tiger stuffed animal with a lily in its paw rested on the bed. She's had that ugly thing since she showed up. He smiled at it, picking up the tiny animal. They had almost lost it when their home in Malibu was destroyed, but somehow it appeared in the rubble. That's one lucky tiger. He set the stuffed animal back down and walked around the room, looking at the pictures and decorations. She always liked the urban style.

      Coffee shop chairs and a table with a dead laptop rested in the corner, bookshelves filled with educational books and biographies. Painting of New York and Paris were scattered on the walls. Her name spelled in white paint was on the purple wall. Her hand print was up there as well. Tony placed his hand over hers, wondering where she is.

      He hadn't searched for her, knowing full well that she wouldn't want that. He just hoped that one day she'd find her way back home.  He admired the pictures hanging in frames. Most of them were of him and her, along with Pepper and some friends from school.

      Her Freshman year portrait was there as well. It seemed so long ago now. He closed his eyes, remembering the moment he shot her in the stomach with plasma, not knowing if she was alive or not.

It's probably best that she's away, but it hurts so damn much.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 53 14
Isabel Stark is finally free of Hydra and is now living with her new family. Tony Stark the billionaire, philanthropist, playboy and now... Dad? She'...
5.4K 158 19
"I am not that little girl anymore!" Emma Stark had been a secret since the moment she took her first breath. At first it was cool to be the hidden d...
47.3K 1.3K 30
◇ 𝚂𝚎𝚝 𝚍𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙸𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝟹 ◇ ❝ 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬...𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐢 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮...
906K 24.6K 40
Tony Stark had it all. He had the money, the fame, the girls, and basically anything that he wanted in life. But when a eight year old girl named May...