Professor Potter

By Swissdog

A continuation from Harry's Future as Harry pursues the hopefully quiet life of a Hogwarts academic. More

Professor Potter
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter62
Chapter63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73

Chapter 31

4.8K 92 9
By Swissdog

Chapter 31 

"Are you ready, Harry?" Charlie Weasley asked. 

"You have no idea how ready I am, Charlie," Harry replied as he finished pulling on his Quidditch gloves. 

It was the second Saturday after the 'incident' with the seventh year research projects and Harry was looking forward to getting on his broom and playing some serious Quidditch. He had gotten a message from Charlie and Eleanor that a match had been suggested by some friends of theirs and he had replied enthusiastically in the affirmative. Ginny of course was going to be sidelined because of her pregnancy but an old friend had been found to take her place. Ernestine Appleby was going to fly with them in Ginny's place. Harry had the chance to talk to her when they first arrived at the public Quidditch park. She was working as the second assistant to the assistant manager of the Wimbourne Wasps. As she put it, the salary was almost nonexistent, but it was a foot in the door. 

The past week and a half had been a bit tense, for lack of a better word, for Harry. He was still chaffing at the way things had turned out with the project concerning himself. Understanding someone's point of view is not the same as accepting it or agreeing with it. He also had a little talk with Abagail about her comments and explained that while he clearly loved her as much as any father could he wasn't prepared to have her refer to him as 'daddy', especially when it was intended as a jibe. The girl was suitably contrite and promised it would be 'Harry' from there on out. 

With all that going on Harry was more than happy for the chance to get out and stretch his Firebolt just as far as he could. The practice session that was held the prior Sunday had helped loosen everyone up and Harry was now ready to really let go. 

"Harry, we're going to mix things up a bit today. Charlie will start off as Seeker and we're putting you in as a Chaser," Eleanor said. 

"Really? I wasn't aware that you thought my ball handling was up to any standard," Harry replied. 

"We've seen you play with a quaffle enough to know you can do it. Plus we think it will confound the other side a bit. And to be perfectly honest we'd like to see how much of a distraction you can be. So don't hesitate to let the stops out on that broom of yours. The more trouble they have figuring out where you are, the less likely they'll be able to mount any kind of serious scoring challenge." 

Harry looked at his friend and occasional chess adversary with slightly narrowed eyes. 

"Excuse me for thinking this, El, but you're sounding like you have something devious in mind. Am I missing something here?" Harry asked. 

El smiled a bit and he thought she was looking a bit rosy in the cheeks. With a bit of a laugh she said, 

"One of the Chasers on the other team is an old friend of mine. We were always very competitive when up at school, grades, boys, Quidditch. Quidditch was the one area she could never beat me at and I intend to keep it that way," El said in a very determined voice. 

"Alright, you're the boss. I'll be happy to oblige," Harry said with a smile. 

In fact, he was more than happy since it was essentially carte' blanche to do what he wanted to do and that was fly the bristles off his broom. The referee for the match was an old classmate of Bill's who had taken to hanging around the park on weekends to offer his services as a referee to anyone who needed one. He whistled the teams into position and sent the balls aloft. Then he tossed the quaffle into play and the match was on. Now it has been noted on many occasions by any number of people that Harry was an exceptional flier. His performances at Hogwarts during his student days were the stuff of school legend. His ability to maneuver his broom through seemingly impossible aerobatics was without parallel and there wasn't a snitch made that he couldn't get the better of, or so it seemed. That all paled in comparison to what went on during the three hour match that took place this day. 

The reason was quite simple. Today, Harry flew for the sake of flying. Scoring goals was secondary. Eleanor maintaining an upper hand over her friend, a consequence. Winning the match, a byproduct. All these things were but ancillary features of a performance by the one flier in all of Quidditch history who really understood what flying was. In fact, if anyone had been able to get a close enough look they would have seen a pair of brilliant green eyes with vertical pupils behind his flying goggles. 

From the moment the quaffle was aloft Harry was flat out every chance he got. He spent a great deal of his time moving the ball up the pitch to hand off to one of the more experienced scorers. He did manage three goals based on sheer audacity. He was able to overwhelm the opposing defense with combinations of barrel rolls, loops and a couple of well placed 'Potter bootlegs'. Eleanor, Bee, and Angelina accounted for the other goals as they rotated through the two other Chaser positions. 

Bill and George had the bludgers moving, further disrupting the opposition. Ron had the goals well tended and allowed only an occasional score. But again, for Harry this was all noise on the edges of his awareness. What mattered was the sound of the air rushing past his ears, the sensation of his stomach being pushed back against his spine as he pulled a tight, high-g turn and the pull of gravity as he went into a steep climb or dive. He was finally pulled back to earth by several loud, shrill blasts of a whistle. The three hour time limit had run out and the Weasley Potter fliers had emerged triumphant with a score of two hundred and ten to sixty. 

Harry came into a hover near his teammates, his face split in a wide grin, his eyes wide and bright. He was also laughing as he looked around at the others, all with some form of bemused expression. Ron was the first to make a comment. 

"Bloody hell, Harry, that was amazing. You were way better than even your best flying at Hogwarts," he said. 

"Thanks, mate, but I was just out there having fun." 

"Yes, we could tell," Eleanor said with a wry smile. "We could hear you laughing and hooting all over the pitch. If the others weren't so busy trying to chase you down I'd think they'd have been scratching their heads." 

"The thing I can't understand," Bee said, "is why in the world you aren't flying for the pros. If any of them had seen that performance they'd be climbing over each other to try and sign you up." 

Harry laughed some more and said, 

"I sometimes wonder about that myself, Bee. But I'm not sure it would still be that much fun if I was doing it day after day. But it is something to think about, isn't it?" 

This last comment got Bill's attention. He was feeling particularly uncomfortable about the project incident since he was the first to voice his concern about Harry going through all that material and what affect it might have on him. He had since come to regret it. Harry hadn't gone through with the implied threat of bringing the affair to Fleur's attention but it still weighed on him that perhaps he didn't do his younger brother any favors. Hearing Harry so glibly suggest he'd entertain the idea of leaving teaching to go into professional Quidditch was disquieting to say the least. On the other hand he was glad to see Harry so happy, having clearly enjoyed his time in the air. His thoughts were interrupted by Harry's next pronouncement. 

"What do you say we grab something at the concessions? My treat." 

This got a round of agreement and they drifted to a landing and shouldering their brooms they walked towards the multi-purpose building that had replaced the old warehouse/barn. Harry acknowledged a few comments of 'well flown' and 'good on yas' from the small group that had congregated to watch the match. They went into the building through the front entrance and could see that one whole side to the left was given over to food vendors and places to sit. The other side was divided into several open front shops catering to the amateur fliers and enthusiast. Harry led the team into the concession area where they occupied two tables and then worked out who was going to have what. Once everyone had their selections they sat back and began to recount various plays and actions. Harry found himself asking a number of questions about who did what and when, and it was becoming obvious his focus had been far more narrow then anyone had thought. 

"Harry, how could you not be aware of these things? You were in the middle of half of the plays we've been discussing," Bee asked. 

"I guess I was aware of them then, but apparently they didn't register on my memory very well. Guess I was just having too much fun. What is it they call it, sensory overload?" he said with a smile. "All I know, we have got to do more of this. I feel better than I have in a while." 

"I dunno, Captain Speedy," Eleanor said with a grin. "After word of this match gets around we may have a hard time finding any opponents." 

When Harry returned home that evening he was still smiling and as he was putting his gear away in the broom closet under the stairs Ginny came down the hall with James in tow. The boy was starting to get more insistent about being allowed to do his own walking. 

"Well, someone certainly looks like the kneazle that caught the garden gnome. The match went well did it?" Ginny asked. 

"Very well. Eleanor gets to maintain her domination of her old friend from Hogwarts and I had a really good time flying." 

"That's really terrific. Do you think you'll be playing again this year?" she asked. 

"I certainly hope so. I suggested we should." 

"Good, I think it would be fun to bring all the children out to watch. Sort of a summer picnic trip." 

"I like it. I'd imagine between yourself, Eleanor and Fleur you could get something organized," he said as he put his arm around her shoulder and they walked towards the kitchen. "I hope you don't mind if we discuss it in the kitchen. I had a little snack before coming home but I'm still kind of hungry. I hope there might be something to nibble on." 

"Actually, my love, we figured you'd be in need of feeding so Kreacher and Nibs have gotten dinner ready early," Ginny said as they walked along. 

"Ah, my day is complete. Hmmm, maybe I'd better wash up then. Give me a moment, please," Harry said and then he detoured into the hall wash room. 

When he finished he came out to find Ginny and James waiting for him. He scooped the boy up and held him in the crook of his arm. He looked at him and said, 

"I'm thinking, my boy, that it might be time to get you a little broom of your own," and then looking at Ginny said, "How old were you, love, when you got on a broom the first time." 

"On a broom, I was a bit younger than James but that was with Bill holding me in front of him. Actually riding one by myself I was about five. It was an old decrepit thing that dad cut down for me but the spells were so weak it couldn't get more than three feet off the ground and move at a snail's pace. But it was good enough to get me hooked," she said with a grin. "I know they make ones more to James' size but it wasn't something Mum and Dad could afford at that time." 

"We'll have to take a trip to Diagon Alley to have a look at the Quidditch supply store," Harry said. "Maybe on Saturday?" 

"Sounds like fun. Much longer and I won't want to be waddling up and down the Alley," she said with a smile. 

They were walking into the kitchen by now and Harry saw a wonderful dinner spread out on the table. A loud growl rumbled from the area of his belt buckle and he and Ginny started to laugh. 

"The dragon stirs," she said. 

"Where's Abagail," Harry said as they got James settled. 

"Out with Angus," Ginny replied. 

"So, are you getting any clues about how things are going with those two?" Harry asked. 

"Well, judging by her mood, I'd say things are going well. They spend more time together. She mentioned something about her helping him get ready for his interview on Monday. I hope they can appreciate what a special fellow he is beyond what he'll likely talk about, which is probably very little." 

"I mentioned in my note to the Minister that he's has a brilliant mind but is very reticent. The reply I got back indicated they were prepared to interview him with an eye towards that. Something about more practical application as opposed to just talking. Let him demonstrate his capabilities," Harry replied. 

"Oh, that's perfect." 

So they had a quiet family meal with Harry talking about some of the match, Ginny asking questions about who managed to do what and James attracting attention whenever he could. After dinner was over Harry was feeling better than he had in a while. Since they had dinner early James still had time before he was to be put to bed. He wanted to show Harry a new trick he had learned and Harry said he would very much like to see it. 

"'nuffles!" James shouted and the big Mastiff dutifully trotted down the hall and came to stand before the boy. 

James put his hand on top of the dogs head and pushed down a bit. Snuffles dipped his head so that his snout was pointing towards the floor. James stepped forward and put his chest against the top of the Snuffles' head. He then reached forward and gripped the dog's collar and said, 

"Push, 'nuffles." 

With that the dog started walking forward pushing James backwards down the hall, his sock covered feet sliding along the stone floor. Harry watched the demonstration with a smile, thinking that in a muggle household James would be hooking up Snuffles to a small red wagon to be pulled around the garden. As it was Harry wondered what sort of combination the boy would be coming up with when he was introduced to a broom. After a few circuits up and down the corridor, Snuffles had had enough so he picked his head up and lifted the boy clear off his feet, causing some shrieking and laughter. Harry walked over and picked James up and rubbed the big blocky head. 

"Good boy, Snuffles. You are far more tolerant than I could ever be," he said. "And as for you my young fellow, it's getting close to bed time. Let's get you to your mother and ready for bed and then I'll read you a story, how's that?" 

"Babbity!" 

"Yes, Babbity, if you so wish it, young sir," Harry said. 

The rest of the weekend passed pleasantly. Harry had a lie in on Sunday morning, the exertion from the day before having finally caught up with him late the previous evening. It was a fine day so the afternoon was given over to outdoor activities, which mostly revolved around James scurrying around the garden, Snuffles either in pursuit or being pursued. Early in the afternoon Abagail and Angus came out onto the lawn and a discussion ensued on what the young man might expect for his interview. Harry was very straight forward, while both Abagail and Ginny offered encouragement. Angus appeared a bit anxious but the idea of being able to demonstrate his abilities as opposed to having to talk about them gave him some confidence in the outcome. The conversation was interrupted when Snuffles bowled him over from behind while trying to escape from James. What ensued took the others by surprise. 

Angus continued his roll and came up to his knees with Snuffles in a bear hug and the wrestling match was on. Harry, Ginny and Abagail watched in open mouthed amazement as the big dog and Angus rolled and tumbled on the grass. Angus was doing an admirable job of keeping a grip on the barrel shaped body but Snuffles would counter with one of two weapons, a severe tongue lashing, literally, or a swipe of a slobbering jowl across the face. The tussle went on for several minutes until Angus had had enough of a dripping wet face and came up on his knees and gave the dog a gentle shove away and then took hold of the big head with a hand behind each ear, rubbing vigorously. 

"Guit fella," he said as Snuffles growled low in contentment. 

He then turned and said with a sheepish grin, 

"He's a guit dahg. Ai think ai need tae clean up." 

Abagail bounced up and took one of Angus' hands and hauled him to his feet and without relinquishing her hold said, 

"We'll be right back." 

As Ginny and Harry watched the two hurrying towards the house they looked at one another and Ginny said, 

"What do you make of that?" 

"It would appear that he's much more comfortable around children and animals than adults. Maybe they were more tolerant of his uniqueness," Harry suggested. 

As agreed the following Saturday found Harry, Ginny and James, followed by Abagail and Angus, walking along Diagon Alley on their way to the Quality Quidditch Supply store to look at a broom for James. Afterward they would wander about until lunch time where they would meet at the Cauldron for a meal. The door bell jingled as they walked into the shop and attracted the attention of the proprietor. 

"Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Potter, what a pleasant surprise. How may I be of assistance today?" 

"Hello, Mr. Quiddly. We're looking for a starter broom for the young man here," Harry said as he held James. 

"Hmm, I believe we have just the thing. It's a very popular model for the beginning flier," the shop owner said as he came around the counter and moved to a case against one wall. 

He pulled out a broom that was no more than half the size of a standard model. It had a smooth straight handle and a small bundle of smooth twigs at one end. It was clean and simple. 

"Here you are. Its spells will not allow it to go more than three feet above the ground and it must be started by an adult. That way we avoid any unpleasant incidents of young fliers drifting away from home." 

Harry took the broom and examined it closely. It appeared that great care had been taken to make sure there were no rough edges or loose ends that might catch bare skin or a piece of clothing that might cause trouble for a young, inexperienced flier. 

"Looks good to me. What do you think, love?" Harry asked of Ginny. 

She took the broom from Harry and used a professional's eye to examine it closely. She nodded in satisfaction and said, 

"I think it looks just fine." 

"We'll take it," Harry said. 

"Marvelous, I'll just wrap it up." 

"Harry, I'd like to look at some accessories, you know, gloves, goggles, that sort of thing." 

Harry looked at Ginny with raised eyebrows for a moment then said, 

"If you'd like, but remember, he's only two. It's not like he's going to be going out to fly his first match." 

Ginny and Abagail exchanged glances that meant nothing to Harry but likely spoke volumes in girl-speak, probably centered around the word 'men'. With Abagail holding on to James the two women began examining the various items of Quidditch gear while Harry and Angus stood silently watching. After a few minutes Harry turned to Angus and asked, 

"Have you spent much time flying, Angus?" 

"Nae, Professor, ai'm naht verra guit onna broom." 

"Maybe Abagail could give you some lessons, she's gotten very proficient," Harry said. "The family does a lot of flying, given the chance." 

"Won't help, sir," Angus said, pointing to his ears. "Problems." 

Harry immediately understood. The young man had inner ear problems and therefore had trouble staying on a broom and likely vertigo issues once in the air. He just smiled a bit and nodded. 

"When we get back to the house, I'd like you to show me what you've put together so far on the project. I haven't been paying much attention to it, all things considered. I need to get back in touch with what everyone is doing." 

"Mah pleasure, sir." 

It took another fifteen minutes for Ginny and Abagail to decide what items to get for James to wear. Harry observed that Abagail was providing a bit of a calming influence on his wife. If left to her own devices he was sure the boy would have been turned out in a complete set of gear, heavily accented with Holyhead Harpie colors. Instead, Abagail seemed to favor a Hogwarts theme. 

"Alright, Harry, we're done here. Let's settle up and then Abagail and Angus can go off on their own for a while." 

Harry nodded and took hold of the gear and carried it to the counter where the new broom waited, wrapped in brown paper. While he settled the bill Ginny said, 

"We'll see you at the Cauldron for lunch at twelve thirty, alright?" 

"Okay, Ginny, see you then. Come on, Angus," Abagail said as she took hold of the boys hand and led him outside to the pavement. 

"Professor Potter, if you're going to be having lunch at the Cauldron I can have your packages delivered there to save you the trouble of carrying them about the Alley." 

"That would be much appreciated, Mr. Quiddly," Harry said as he added another sickle to the coins he was counting out. 

A few minutes later Harry, Ginny and James were outside, the air warm and the Alley full of witches and wizards going about their business. There were a number of greetings offered, some from people he recognized, many he didn't. He got nods from the two Patrollers on duty along with 'morning, sir' from the senior officer. Harry hadn't planned on going into Flourish and Blotts since he had a fair amount of reading already lined up but as they passed by the proprietor hurried outside and called to him. 

"Professor Potter, what a stroke of good fortune you're here today. Would you have a few moments to spare?" 

"Good ahead, Harry. I'll take James into the stationary store. I need to look for a few things," Ginny said. 

"Alright, love. I'll be there shortly," Harry replied and then followed the man into the book shop. 

"So, what's on your mind today?" he asked once inside. 

"As always, sir, we keep our eyes and ears open on your behalf for anything that might prove of interest to you. We received a message yesterday morning from one of our contacts that a particular volume has become available and I wanted to bring it to your attention." 

"Alright, you have my attention. What is this book?" 

"It's called 'Chartae de Atterimus Magica', the 'Book of Deadly Magic'," the proprietor said. 

"That's one I've not heard of before," Harry said. 

"I wouldn't be a bit surprised, Professor. As far as I know it's the only copy there is." 

"Who wrote it?" Harry asked. 

"We aren't sure, sir, but the information that was offered suggests that it was the property of your most deadly enemy, and that he himself contributed to its contents." 

"Tom Riddle owned it?" Harry asked incredulously. 

"That is what our source tells us, sir. We are working to authenticate the claim. I am aware that more than a few artifacts supposedly belonging to your nemesis have found their way onto the market, a few of which are actually legitimate. Would you be interested?" 

"You're bloody well right I'm interested, if only to keep it out of the hands of some would-be successor to the old snake. Let me know as soon as you're sure of what it is," Harry said. 

"As you say, sir. We will notify you immediately." 

With a nod, Harry left the book store and made his way to the stationary store. Ginny had her items selected and Harry paid for them. They spent the rest of the morning walking along the Alley mostly window shopping but they did step into Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes to talk to George and get a look at the clerk that had attracted Gabrielle's attention. He was a handsome young wizard a few years younger than Harry, although he didn't recognize him from Hogwarts, but then again he didn't know everyone who was there during his student days. He had dark hair and eyes, a ready smile for a customer and the most astonished look on his face when Harry walked in. 

"Professor Potter, sir, welcome to the shop," the young man said. 

"Good morning. Pardon me, but I don't believe we've been introduced," Harry said as he approached the counter. 

"Gregory, sir, Gregory Mendel." 

"Gregory, it's very nice to meet you," Harry said as he held out his hand. "This is my wife, Ginny, and our son James." 

"A pleasure to meet you all, sir, ma'am," the clerk said as he shook hands with Harry, his eyes still wide and a slight tremor in his voice. 

"Are you alright, Gregory?" Ginny asked. 

"What? Oh, just fine, ma'am." 

Harry looked at Gregory and could feel the anxiety and tension pouring off him and a thought occurred. 

"Is Mr. Weasley anywhere about?" 

"One moment, sir, I'll tell him you're here," the clerk said and hurried into the back of the store. 

Harry looked at Ginny and as she began to say something he put a finger to his lips. George came out, alone, shortly after. 

"Harry! Little sister! It's great to see you," George said as he came around the counter to shake hands with Harry and give Ginny and James hugs. "What brings you in?" 

"We were getting James here his first broom and thought we'd stop in to say hello," Harry said. 

"Ah, so it begins," George said as he tickled his nephew under the chin. "With you two as parents he'll likely be flying in a day and doing tricks in a week." 

"I think we'll try and take it slower than that, if you don't mind, big brother," Ginny said. 

"George, if you don't mind my asking," Harry said, "what have you been telling your clerk about me." 

George looked at Harry in surprise and said, 

"What do you mean, Harry?" 

"Please, George, don't go all innocent on me. His eyes practically jumped out of his head and I could feel how anxious he was, despite all his politeness. Out with it," Harry said in his best copper's voice. 

"Wellll," George replied, "I may have mentioned something to the effect that with all the time he was spending with Gabi, he might want to keep in mind that she was a particular favorite of yours, much like a little sister in fact, and he should be careful how he behaves. Something along those lines." 

"Oh, well thank you so very much. Why would you think to say that, George?" 

"Partly because I can never resist the opportunity to pull someone's leg, but more so because Gabi has become a very valued member of the company and she's a nice kid so I wouldn't want to see anything happen." 

"So you waved me in front of him for some fun," Harry said shaking his head. "Would you please have him come out here?" 

"Gregory, out front, if you please," George called out. 

The young clerk hurried out to the counter, smiling slightly but obviously still anxious. 

"Gregory," Harry began, "I understand the Mr. Weasley has suggested certain consequences at my hands should anything unpleasant occur regarding your relationship with Gabrielle Delacour." 

The clerk looked at his boss and then back at Harry. 

"It's okay, Mendel. I've already told him," George said, with a smirk. 

"Um, yes, sir, Professor. He said I should be on my best behavior around Gabrielle or else you'd hunt me down and disassemble me down to my shoes," the young man replied. 

Harry rolled his eyes and shook his head, giving his brother-in-law and partner a 'look'. Then he waved Gregory out from behind the counter and with an arm around his shoulder walked him to the far side of the shop and spoke to him in low tones. A few minutes later they shook hands and Harry walked back to stand by Ginny while Gregory took his place behind the counter again. 

"Thanks for the interesting morning, George. Make sure you let us know if you need any help moving into the new house," Harry said. 

"Saturday, two weeks from today. We'll let you know the details. And it's always a pleasure making your day just that much more fun, Harry," George said with a laugh as he shook Harry's hand. 

Once they were outside the shop Harry turned to Ginny and said, 

"I can't imagine what it must be like having to work for that jokester every day." 

"I imagine it could be quite a trial," Ginny said, "but I think a lot of times he's forcing it. Angelina told me not long ago he can get very quiet for long periods of time. I don't think he's really over Fred's death." 

"I can't imagine he'd ever really be over it. For twins as close as they were it must be like losing a very big piece of yourself." 

"I think you're right, sweetheart," Ginny said quietly. "By the way, what did you say to that boy? He seemed to be in a much better mood after you were done." 

"I just explained that I wasn't quite the wild eyed maniac George probably told him I was and I was sure that Gabi would appreciate it if he wasn't always on his best behavior. I did mention I had my limits but I understood how relationships go and I wasn't going to blast him to nothingness the first time I heard that Gabi was pouting or something." 

"Well done you, Harry," Ginny said with a bit of a wicked grin. "Fleur had mentioned that Gabrielle was wondering why he was always so proper around her. I think it was starting to bother her." 

Harry laughed and with James walking between them they made their way at a leisurely pace to the Cauldron for lunch. Abagail was in stitches when she heard about what George had told Gabrielle's boyfriend. 

"You know, I was wondering why he was acting that way. They had been seeing each other for over a month and it seemed to be going well and then all of a sudden he got, oh, I don't know, uptight I guess they say. I'm sure Gabi will be in a much better frame of mind after this. Well done you is right, Harry," she said. 

During the discussion Angus had been looking at Harry with a bit of a worried expression on his face. Harry had noticed and said to him. 

"Don't give it a thought, Angus. I'm not nearly so ferocious. Besides, I'm sure our Abagail would do more terrible things to you than I could ever imagine if you got her upset." 

The young genius' eyes bugged a bit as Abagail sputtered her indignation. Ginny was doing all she could to keep from laughing while Harry just smiled. 

On Monday as he walked the short distance to the school, Harry was glad to have had a generally relaxing weekend. He had spent some time working on grading the project reports and as had happened each time he had done so since they were handed in, he became irritated at the way he had been treated by the Headmistress. Fortunately this last time the annoyance was heavily tempered by the other events of the weekend, including seeing James drift along on his little broom with his mother walking alongside, whispering encouragement and brief instructions. This thought clearly put a smile on his face. This lasted precisely as long as it took to get to his classroom where he found a note on his desk to come see the Headmistress during his free period.  

His smile evaporated because regardless of the Head's intentions for this meeting, he had things of his own that he intended to discuss with her. His free period wasn't until after lunch so he had to concentrate to make sure he didn't shortchange his students in the morning and he passed up having lunch in the Great Hall, his appetite having mostly deserted him. At the appointed time he approached the statue guarding the staircase up to the Head's office and it swung away allowing him to enter. He knocked on the office door and after hearing the muffled 'enter' he swung the door in and walked into the office. 

"You wished to see me, Professor McGonagall," he said as a statement. 

"Yes, please be seated and thank you for coming so promptly. I was wondering, Professor, if you've had a chance to consider the situation regarding your 'Applied Magic' course and the project work that your students did this year?" 

"Yes, ma'am. I've considered it from several different angles and I still believe that the idea of discontinuing the course and infusing it's principles into the other relevant classes is the best way forward. I believe this would expose the most students possible to the ideas and concepts we would like to promote," he replied in a serious, professional tone. "As to the project I think we could let that stand on its own. If you wish to broaden its impact, as I surmise you might, it might be an idea to make it part of the overall sixth year program. The students are done with OWLs, and this would give them an interesting academic challenge before they have to worry about their NEWTS." 

"That sounds intriguing, Professor. However, without the structure of the Applied Magic course how would the projects be administered?" the Headmistress asked. 

"I only devoted short periods of classroom time to the projects once they were selected. We could orchestrate around free periods or evening sessions every few weeks to allow for questions, guidance, oversight, however you wish to describe it, and if I'm here the usual two nights a week that would also allow time for them to get assistance," he concluded. 

Professor McGonagall nodded and regarded him over the tops of her glasses. Then she said, 

"That sounds like it could well be the way to approach it, Professor. I'll consider the idea and we can discuss it further." 

"Thank you, ma'am. If that's all regarding the projects I would like to discuss another subject, if I might." 

"Certainly, what have you in mind?" 

"I'd like to discuss the subject of your relieving me of one of the fundamental responsibilities of a teacher. While I might be able to understand the reasons for your decision I can't agree with them, nor accept the manner in which you acted. If we can't come to a suitable resolution on this matter, I may well have to reconsider my commitment to Hogwarts," he said. 

The Headmistress continued to regard Harry over her glasses and then said, 

"You would leave the school over this, Professor?" 

"If the facts of this incident become common knowledge here, it would seriously undermine my position and make it very difficult to maintain the proper relationship with the students. And if a may be permitted to say, I consider it an affront to my professional capabilities, not to mention the implications personally," he finished, his green eyes fixed on the Professor. 

Professor McGonagall tapped on the top of her desk with one finger, her expression neutral. Then she sat up a bit straighter and said, 

"I can say that I appreciate your position regarding this matter, Professor. In all ways I can assure you that I and the rest of the faculty and staff consider you a consummate professional. As I have mentioned before the concern was for you personally. But I must concede it might have been handled better. I think I can agree that in the future, if there is one, that should such concerns arise again we will endeavour to manage them in a less contentious manner." 

"I would appreciate that, ma'am. Thank you." 

"Have you anything else?" she asked. 

"No, ma'am, I think that covers it." 

"Fine. To conclude, let me say that I appreciate your forthrightness, Harry. It does no one any good to let such matters fester," she said as she stood, as did Harry. "And one more thing, please remember that first, last and always, my concern is for the well being of all the members of Hogwarts school, all of them." 

"Yes, ma'am," Harry said, and then he offered his hand which she took, then he turned and left the office. 

When the office door closed the Headmistress looked to the portrait of Albus Dumbledore, who had remained silent through the entire exchange. He looked back and said, 

"You handled that well, Minerva." 

"Thank you, Albus. This has been a most difficult episode, most difficult indeed." 

"I understand all too well. However, we have such plans for that young man and he needs to start reasserting himself. At times I think he was done a great disservice by that run in with Dr. Parsons. Everyone, ourselves included, have been treating him like an egg with a brittle shell ever since. It was most fortuitous that Professor Weasley had raised his concerns when he did. I was thinking we weren't going to get the chance to push the boy anytime soon," Dumbledore said and then chuckled. "You see, I do it still, referring to him as a boy." 

"It's difficult, isn't it? We've watched him grow up since he was a baby and seen all that he could do and has done and yet we find it difficult to accept he is a grown man with a family of his own," the Headmistress said quietly. "Yet we must." 

"Yes," Dumbledore replied, "indeed we must."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16 0 16
It's their sixth year and the second war. When Dumbledore finds out how to defeat Voldemort he, Tracey and Harry will work and find a way to end it.
14.7K 342 35
Sophie Potter's life is about to take a crazy turn in 6th year. Everything falls apart and things change but for the better or for the worst?
970 43 8
The war is over and while Harry is relieved that he no longer has a dark lord out for his blood, he begins to notice that they Wizarding world seems...
518K 17.8K 35
Starts off after the war, and students are returning to Hogwarts. How will our heros and villians cope with the new year.