Electric Impulse

By AngeltheAuthor320

*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets... More

Important Note - No longer a Wattpad Paid Story
book trailer, synopsis
chapter 1 | meeting sebastian's parents
chapter 2 | who's that?
chapter 3 | homies
chapter 4 | he said what?
chapter 5 | sebastian's barbecue
chapter 6 | runaway 18-wheeler
chapter 7 | waiting room I
chapter 8 | the envelope
chapter 9 | hashing it out
Chapter 10 | the big day
chapter 11 | what's coming
chapter 12 | gas station milk
chapter 13 | waiting room II, too much
chapter 14 | nowhere in sight, road kill
chapter 15 | at this hour?
chapter 16 | get away
chapter 17 | friends now?, we meet again
chapter 18 | troy
chapter 19 | paint the town
chapter 20 | twenty questions
chapter 21 | morning after, points
chapter 22 | anything but conventional
chapter 23 | romance
chapter 24 | free time
chapter 25 | waiting room III, new candidate
chapter 26 | blue skies
chapter 27 | touch down
chapter 28 | like the locals
chapter 29 | pretty penny
chapter 31 | behind closed doors, waiting room IV
chapter 32 | catching feels
chapter 33 | masquerade party part 1
chapter 34 | masquerade party part 2
chapter 35 | my turn
chapter 36 | at long last
chapter 37 | a hard landing, waiting room V
chapter 38 | missing in action, resounding ring
chapter 39 | long time, no see
chapter 40 | suspicions
chapter 41 | damsel in distress, waiting room VI
chapter 42 | not obsessed
chapter 43 | hot on the trail
chapter 44 | without warning
chapter 45 | it's done, waiting room VII
chapter 46 | dare to dream
chapter 47 | dreaded confrontation
chapter 48 | orange dream
chapter 49 | square one
chapter 50 | my love
chapter 51 | what is this, really?
chapter 52 | if at first you don't succeed
epilogue | closure
🖋FEEDBACK🖋

chapter 30 | out in the open sea

44.5K 1.8K 145
By AngeltheAuthor320

Nine Weeks Ago

Friday Night

We arrive at the harbor just before dusk. The sun hangs low in the sky. Luis Fonsi's "Despacito" is banging in the background. I'm about to party like I've never partied before. I'm walking the pier with Phoenix by my side and my girls behind me. The night is full of mystique and the lit pier adds to the romantic ambiance of the setting. Soft lighting reflects off the waves, making the water shimmer and glisten. An outsider observing probably would've thought we were a wedding party, dressed in all white, walking the pier in pairs. Riz and Mia, Penelope and JC, and Sheila and Nixon follow in that order. The dark blue, open ocean and luxurious all-white superyacht lie before my eyes. Sitting at least three levels above water, it's the biggest boat I've ever seen up close. A marvel to behold. I'm excited to see what it looks like inside. As we approach the looming yacht, there are people in white already on board, some holding glasses, some eating hors d'oeuvres, some smoking cigars.

The closer we get, the more nervous I feel.

What's up now? You've done this a thousand times. You work at a club! Once you've been to one party, you've been to them all. Lighten up, have some fun, girl!

I've never done it with so much at stake. This incredible guy, this out of this world getaway, this off-the-runway dress, these designer shoes, this jewelry! I look like a trust fund baby, but I feel like a fraud. This isn't me.

My mouth goes dry and my breathing becomes short and shallow.

Am I a fraud?

If you're a fraud, then so is Cinderella and every other girl that ever tried to love a man outside her hood.

Cinderella? That's your best argument? At midnight her dress turned to rags. Who am I trying to fool? This won't last.

Well then, Romeo and Juliet or Westside Story. The point is, it's OK to want to be with someone that's not from around the way. Someone outside the norm. Who wouldn't want to be with a prince charming like Phoenix?

My temples throb.

Don't mess this up, girl. Be easy. Keep a cool booty. Let tonight be magical.

Phoenix glances over at me. "You cool? You look a little seasick and we're not even on the boat yet."

I breathe in deeply. "I'm good, just a little nervous."

"Nervous? About what?" His eyes are filled with concern.

"I don't know. It's everything. Everything is just so — so damn perfect! And I'm . . . not." I avoid making eye contact.

He pulls me to the side and looks at Riz. "Meet us on the yacht, we'll be right behind you." He turns back to me. "I thought this is what you wanted. I thought you'd be impressed. You know I'm doing all this for you, right? That's the only reason we're here. It's all just for you."

"I'm sorry. I know it seems like I'm being prissy. It's just that I love this, I love what you're doing . . . but I'm scared as hell." I can't look up at him.

"Of what?"

"I don't know. Of messing up. Of saying the wrong thing. Or doing something stupid. Phoenix, I feel like I have no control over myself and it's freaking me out. I've never, ever felt like this before. This is different. What if this doesn't work out? What if I opened up too soon? What if —"

"What if tonight turned out to be perfect?" He takes my hand and lifts it up over my head as he nods his head to the music.

"Huh?" I'm completely confused.

What is he doing?

He twirls me around like we're on the dance floor. "What if everything turns out to be amazing?" His eyes light up. "Give it a chance, Ari. Give us a chance." He leans against a post on the pier and pulls me into him. Our legs are intertwined, thigh to thigh. Still in dance mode, his left hand warms the center of my back while his right hand holds mine. "Here you are, all fine and sexy and you're ready to go home already? Nope. Not happening. You made me get this expensive Dior dress, which is stunning on you, by the way, only to get scared that we might not make it? Uh-uh. I've got skin in the game, too. You can't flake out on me."

The pressure and resistance I felt just moments before evaporates. I give in to him, allowing him to lead me out of my own fog. I rest my chin on his shoulder as we sway back and forth to the music. My ear brushes ever so slightly against his face and I relinquish my will. I'm driven to be near him. He feels irresistibly warm and welcoming.

I get even closer, whispering, "You're right. Neither one of us can tell the future. Who knows how it will turn out. I'm not the only one taking a chance here, we both are." I exhale as his hand travels down my back. "I can do one step at a time. Let's start with tonight. Let's make tonight . . . magical."

"That's my girl." He stands up, then lifts my hand over my head and twirls me once more.

This time, I go with the flow and allow him to twirl me around, causing my dress to flow in the air as I turn.

He stops me, and we face each other. "You good now?"

Slightly dizzy, I nod, letting him know I'm all in.

"Good! Ready to have some fun?"

"Yes!"

"Well, the party awaits. After you, Ms. Davenport." He shows the way, presenting the yacht and waits for me to step forward.

I take his hand, "Mr. Prescott." The wind blows, revealing the thigh-high slits in my sheer dress. This is one bad dress.

We board the yacht and the atmosphere is insane. It's like we're in a music video. I grab two glasses of champagne from a waiter's tray and pass one to Phoenix. I look around for Mia and Penelope. They're nowhere in sight. We wade through the crowd and wander to the top level.

"You want something else?" Phoenix asks after noticing I hadn't touched my drink.

"I think so. This is too sweet. Can we do a vodka tonic with lime?" I yell over the music.

"I'll be right back." Phoenix walks off to find a bar.

I become a fly on the wall, watching everyone. The two girls sitting in the corner, kissing each other, with champagne flutes in their hands. The guys standing nearby watching, egging them on. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a dare or a bet. In the center of the deck, is a hot tub filled with hot, frothy water, surrounded by several scantily clad people. A guy sits at one end of the hot tub with his arms hanging over the edge. Three girls in white bikinis make quite a splash as they join him. A waiter serves them drinks with tiny umbrellas and fruit kabobs.

Tasty.

"Five, four, three, two, one!" a partygoer yells.

"Yes!" The young woman in the corner high fives her kissing buddy. "Now, where's my money?"

"Mine too?" Her kissing companion holds her hand out to the group of guys watching.

The guys pile bills into their hands.

How much did they each get? This party is wild!

Ecstatic after witnessing the bet, I walk around searching for more interesting happenings. Crazy things always happen when you provide people with unlimited liquor in a social setting. On the upper deck, there's a group of people sitting and chatting comfortably on a couch. One of the guys steps away from the couch and starts lighting huge fireworks. The fireworks burn bright against the black sky. It's striking to see up close. Especially, at this time of night. The moon shines on the water, making each ripple shimmer in a sea of blackness.

It reminds me of Phoenix somehow.

Where is he? He must be looking for you by now?

I search the crowd for his face.

A hot guy stops me. "Hey, beautiful. Looking for something? Can I get you a drink?"

"No, I'm good. I'm looking for my man." I smile coyly.

My man? I love that it's official.

"He's about six feet, low haircut, goatee? Golden complexion. You see him?"

"No, but damn. That dress." He looks me up and down. "He's a lucky dude." He grins before walking off, getting lost in the crowd.

"I saw that, you know."

I turn towards the vaguely familiar voice. "Saw what?"

"You talking to that guy. You think Phoenix would like that?" Sheila sips her champagne while keeping her eyes on me.

"I'm not sure what you thought you saw, but Phoenix wouldn't mind cause there's nothing to mind."

"Not from where I was standing. You're young, what early twenties? You think you're hot shit? Girls like you and your little friends come a dime a dozen for these guys. Where do you think you'll be in a day or two? Enjoy it while you have him. Trust me, it won't last."

"Aren't you married? To Nixon? So, what concern is it of yours what me or my girls have with these guys?"

"I've been around them since we were kids, back in the day. I know how they move. Just trying to look out. From woman to girl."

"Ha. Cute. Listen, I don't need your silver words of wisdom. Times have changed since your day. I suggest you keep your antiquated advice for well-seasoned women such as yourself. I'm just saying, ya know, from girl to woman." I toss my head to the side and stare back with unflinching eyes.

Instead of rebuffing, Sheila rolls her eyes, turns and walks away.

Phoenix comes in from behind. "Hey babe!"

"Hey! I was looking for you. You've been gone a while."

"Was that Sheila? Where's Nixon?"

"Yes! That was Sheila. That woman has serious issues. She's so out of line."

"I'm surprised you didn't see it sooner. Sheila's always out of line, been like that since we were kids. I always wondered what Nixon saw in her." He hands me a vodka tonic.

I take a sip, brushing off the weird, rude confrontation with Sheila.

"Come on, let's take a personal tour."

"OK." I hook my arm into his and off we go on a little adventure.

We walk down the stairs to the next level of the yacht, the plan is to find rooms that are supposed to be off limits. I want to see every inch of this lavish, massive sea mansion. We walk down a hall.

In front of two ornately carved, wooden French doors stands an intimidating bouncer, dressed in a white tuxedo. He's guarding the entrance. To gain entrance, people give him a white, plastic card with a black fleur-de-lis symbol on it.

"Did you get one of those?"

"If anyone would've gotten one, it's Riz. He booked us for this party. Looks like that room is by invitation only."

The guard turns away from the door to tune in to his earpiece.

"Maybe not." I snatch Phoenix's hand and we slip right past the guard. A thrill races through my body. "I can't believe I just did that!"

Phoenix straightens out his white suit jacket and quickly surveys the room. "Be cool."

____________________

A/N: Hola mis amores! Hey, I speak a little Spanish :-) What do you think is behind the closed doors? Be sure to Vote and Comment! I'd love to know your theories. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 9.9K 35
Please vote and comment! My goal is at least 2k likes and 100 comments :) This story is as realistic as life gets. Please enjoy it, it is my first st...
1M 27.3K 44
Book #2 [Sequel to 'All About Revenge'] [COMPLETED] ***** "I can't do this anymore." I said as ano...
Push By Aubrey

ChickLit

172K 8.9K 36
Gwen's life was perfect --- until it wasn't. After her husband's deception is revealed, the young mother must face a new reality without her childho...
941K 23.5K 32
An impressive Yale degree. Great friends. An even greater boyfriend and a bright future- she thought she had it all. She thought her life was perfect...