Electric Impulse

By AngeltheAuthor320

*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets... More

Important Note - No longer a Wattpad Paid Story
book trailer, synopsis
chapter 1 | meeting sebastian's parents
chapter 2 | who's that?
chapter 3 | homies
chapter 4 | he said what?
chapter 5 | sebastian's barbecue
chapter 6 | runaway 18-wheeler
chapter 7 | waiting room I
chapter 8 | the envelope
chapter 9 | hashing it out
Chapter 10 | the big day
chapter 11 | what's coming
chapter 12 | gas station milk
chapter 13 | waiting room II, too much
chapter 14 | nowhere in sight, road kill
chapter 15 | at this hour?
chapter 16 | get away
chapter 17 | friends now?, we meet again
chapter 18 | troy
chapter 19 | paint the town
chapter 20 | twenty questions
chapter 21 | morning after, points
chapter 22 | anything but conventional
chapter 23 | romance
chapter 24 | free time
chapter 26 | blue skies
chapter 27 | touch down
chapter 28 | like the locals
chapter 29 | pretty penny
chapter 30 | out in the open sea
chapter 31 | behind closed doors, waiting room IV
chapter 32 | catching feels
chapter 33 | masquerade party part 1
chapter 34 | masquerade party part 2
chapter 35 | my turn
chapter 36 | at long last
chapter 37 | a hard landing, waiting room V
chapter 38 | missing in action, resounding ring
chapter 39 | long time, no see
chapter 40 | suspicions
chapter 41 | damsel in distress, waiting room VI
chapter 42 | not obsessed
chapter 43 | hot on the trail
chapter 44 | without warning
chapter 45 | it's done, waiting room VII
chapter 46 | dare to dream
chapter 47 | dreaded confrontation
chapter 48 | orange dream
chapter 49 | square one
chapter 50 | my love
chapter 51 | what is this, really?
chapter 52 | if at first you don't succeed
epilogue | closure
🖋FEEDBACK🖋

chapter 25 | waiting room III, new candidate

51.1K 2.2K 291
By AngeltheAuthor320

Present Day

"Sounds like it was getting real between you two." Aya munches loudly on cheese crackers.

"I was on cloud nine. Nobody could tell me nothing."

"He sure has the means. He sounds like a baller. Must be nice."

"It was nice. Is nice . . . I think."

"I remember that feeling. That's how I felt when I met Jason." Aya looks down at her growing belly. "It's not like that now. Now, it's just complicated."

"You know it's never too late." Talking to both myself and Aya, I realize the truth of my own words.

Aya jumps in her seat. "It kicked! I've only faintly felt that a few times before. I'm sure of it now. It kicked!" She grabs my hand and places it on the side of her belly. "See? Feel that?" Her eyes are wide, and her mouth is frozen open. She looks surprised, maybe even a little scared or excited. I can't tell which.

"I felt that! That was definitely a kick, Aya!"

Forgetting the past for the briefest of moments, we celebrate. Jumping up and down in our seats like two silly girls seeing their celebrity crush in person for the first time. I'm so happy for her.

Out of nowhere, I hear commotion coming from outside. "What's going on? Where's all that noise coming from?"

Aya laughs. "Girl. Have you been here before?"

"No?"

"Those are protesters." Aya looks at me with a you-got-to-be-kidding-me smile.

"What are they protesting?"

"Honey. You know this is a clinic."

"And? They do women's wellness, right? That's why I'm here."

"They do a lot of things here. Some things, people don't agree with."

I raise my eyebrow. "Oh, really?"

Just then her phone rings. "Excuse me for a second." Aya gets up and walks to the opposite side of the waiting room. Hunched over, she whispers into the phone, "I don't care! Don't talk to me like that — no, you listen . . . . Please . . . please don't . . . . We can work this out . . . it's ours . . . ." She stands there for a long time, staring at the phone.

Aya returns to the seat next to me. "It's hard you know. I'm too young for this shit. This asshole! He's not giving me a choice."

It dawns on me. She's seeking my advice, but I'm not sure about what.

"Aria, I know we've only known each other for a short time but you're here. Telling me about your life and I feel comfortable with you." She pauses. "I'm so glad I'm talking to you. There aren't many people I can talk to in my life right now. I told you this clinic handles a lot of things? Well, that's why I'm here."

"Huh?"

What is she trying to say?

"Oh! I just assumed it was a . . . prenatal visit. You're here for an uh . . . um. Are you sure?"

"I don't know. Everyone is telling me I should. Even Jason. Especially Jason." She rubs her forehead in frustration. "But I go back and forth."

"You said he's not giving you a choice? No one has that much control, Aya. You are your own person. You know that, right? You have a choice. "You just have to be willing to deal with what comes with your choices. And if you're not sure, you could always wait a day. What's one day? Besides, there's always adoption."

Her brow softens. "I'm glad we met."

____________________

Ten Weeks Ago

Friday Afternoon

When I arrive at Ovation, Phoenix is already seated, laughing with someone. I'm assuming it's the candidate he wanted me to help vet. The meeting seems to be going well.

The hostess leads me to the table.

"Hello, Mr. Prescott." I shake Phoenix's hand.

"Ms. Davenport, glad you could make it." Phoenix turns to the candidate. "This is Ms. Davenport, one of our newest junior marketing executives. She's going to sit in on this last interview." Phoenix pulls out my chair.

I take my seat, eyes glued to Phoenix.

Boy, does he look good in that crisp black suit.

"And this," Phoenix holds his hand out, "is Sebastian Duvall, the promising candidate I was telling you about."

I nearly break my neck when I turn to face him. "Sebastian Duvall?" My blood starts to simmer.

Sebastian's expression is full of apprehension. "Aria?"

"Um. Mr. Prescott, can I speak to you privately for a moment." Trying to hide my feelings, I'm not sure how good a cover I'm putting on.

"Sure." Phoenix looks at Sebastian. "Would you excuse us?"

Sebastian reluctantly nods.

Once we're out of earshot, I let my true feelings show. "He's the promising candidate?" I whisper. "Do you know who that guy is?"

Phoenix's eyes search mine as he grapples with my question. "What are you talking about?" He maintains his professional composure.

"He's the guy! My crummy ex. The one that humiliated me then tried to get back with me!"

Phoenix's expression changes. He loses his professional cool. "That is the guy?" He looks back at Sebastian. "He's that guy?" he asks, still not believing it.

"That's that bastard."

"Didn't see that coming." Phoenix adjusts his tie.

"I can't recommend him! I don't have a good word to say about him!"

"I kind of liked the kid." He stands there thinking for a moment. "Well . . . just tell the truth. It's business. Relationships are paramount to a solid working team. He was supposed to join your team!" He raises his eyebrows. "My hands are tied with this one."

I take a deep breath and exhale. We return to the table.

Sebastian glances back and forth between me and Phoenix. He attempts to secure himself. "Mr. Prescott, can we get back on topic, please? The analyst position in your marketing department? The real reason I'm here?"

A little too assertive, are we?

Turned off by Sebastian's rude, self-serving attitude, Phoenix responds curtly. "Alright, as you request. We'll get right to it. I usually bring along my junior executives to help me vet new candidates, Mr. Duvall. This is especially important in the last phase of interviews, as we want to make sure each new hire is a good fit." Phoenix clears his throat. "I see you've graduated from Marquette, you speak with confidence when it comes to marketing and business, but for me, character says a lot about a man. It's my understanding, you and Ms. Davenport know each other? Is it safe to say she can accurately speak to your character?"

"No!" Sebastian objects. "She doesn't know me well."

I smile at his bold-faced lie.

"Mr. Prescott, Sebastian isn't being truthful. As a matter of fact, he's being downright dishonest. To say that I don't know him? Oh, I know him, very well. I've known of him for over four years and I've known him personally for two. How can I put this in delicate terms?"

Sebastian nervously takes a sip of his iced tea.

"Hmm. From my personal experience, Mr. Duvall is a spoiled, entitled, shit-face loser. Now that's being honest. Oh and a few other things." I hold my index finger up. "He wouldn't know hard work if it hit him in the face. He has no values, no morals, and absolutely no integrity or loyalty." I turn and address Sebastian directly. "Mr. Prescott, I recommend we pass on this very flawed candidate. Frankly, I have no idea how he made it this far through the interview process."

Sebastian's demeanor drops. He sits, hunched over, round-shouldered, deflated in his seat. He has the look of a man that's lost his life savings in a bad bet on Wall Street.

"I appreciate your," Phoenix clears his throat, ". . . candid feedback, Ms. Davenport. That was . . . very compelling." He pauses, then turns to Sebastian. "After hearing what Ms. Davenport had to say, rash as it was, I have no choice but to heed her warning. At Prescott Realty, we strive to provide a safe, positive working environment for our employees and I just don't think you'd be a good fit. This interview is officially over. Mr. Duvall, your candidacy is no longer viable."

Sebastian sits there seething. "You can't do this to me!" He glares at Phoenix. "You can't do this to me!" He's much louder the second time. So loud that people sitting near us gasp. "Do you know who I am? We're House of Duvall. We own this city. My uncle is president of the Milwaukee Common Council." He points his finger at Phoenix's face. "We'll slap you with so many violations and tax levies, we'll put you out of business, Prescott. We'll change laws, just to screw you over. You need me!" He glares at us with malice dancing in his eyes.

Phoenix raises his eyebrows. "Need you?" He looks at me. "Ms. Davenport, you were right! I'm glad I heeded your warning." His gaze returns to Sebastian. "You've shown me everything I need to see. Thank you for your time." Phoenix stands with his hands in his pockets.

With a half-smile on my face, I give Sebastian a slow, four-finger wave as he abruptly stands to leave. The chair scoots loudly as he comes to a full stand.

"Oh and Mr. Duvall, you should think twice before making threats of that magnitude. I have many, many friends in high places. Getting a job right out of college isn't for everyone, you know. Some take years to find themselves."

Phoenix looks so powerful and sexy. He's my own personal Greek god. Yes, I'd suck and swallow. Just pass me the knee pads.

My skin tingles, I'm breathless. There's no turning back now.

Sebastian has an I-can't-fucking-believe-that-just-happened-to-me expression on his face. He straightens out his tie and lifts his chin. "Very well, then." He storms out of the restaurant like the infantile, trust-fund baby he is.

The satisfaction is supremely euphoric.

I stand there as blood and adrenaline course through my veins. The lightness I feel is almost magical. He can no longer hurt me or haunt me. I'm free.

Sebastian is a ghost of the past.

Phoenix is my future.

____________________

A/N: Hey Lovers! Did Sebastian overstep his boundaries? Or do you think Phoenix and Aria were out of line?

I'm dedicating this chapter to @star-powered because she's awesome. She's definitely an asset to Wattpad, mentor material! Thanks @star-powered for all your sage words of wisdom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 125K 65
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] The last thing Livy expects is to fall for Logan, the hot but damaged billionaire who wants to help her pay for her...
280K 5.7K 78
And we're back! But this time we're looking into the lives of the younger siblings: Alyssa Phoenix, Julianna and Jade Ramirez, and their best friend...
17.6K 373 21
"If you think I love you, you're fucking wrong." He smirked and stood up and I couldn't stop my eyes from looking over his naked body. "You might not...
112K 4.6K 35
Being married to billionaire Dominic Lewis gives Savannah Lewis everything one could dream of. Money, diamonds, luxury, and a glamorous lifestyle-the...