The Unknown Enemy ∘ Marvel [3]

By daisysjohnson

"And they realized how long she had mistaken falling for flying." In which the unseen avenger is no where to... More

summary
playlist
epigraph
Chapter 1: Where She Went
Chapter 2: The Search For Her
Chapter 3: We Brought Doughnuts. Oh and Bad News
Chapter 4: Your Hair Is On Fire
Chapter 5: Belated Goodbyes
Chapter 6: To Moving On
Chapter 7: In The Months Following....
Chapter 8: Knocking on Death's Door
Chapter 9: Forgetful Homecoming
Chapter 10: Shattered Reality
Chapter 11: Plethora of Problems
Chapter 12: When You Date A Stark...
Chapter 13: Very, Very Bad
Chapter 14: Old 'Friends'
Chapter 15: More Trust Issues
Chapter 16: Phantoms
Chapter 17: We All Break
Chapter 18: A Change In Scenery
Chapter 19: Dealing with Aftershocks
Chapter 20: Compromised
Chapter 21: The Breath Before the Jump
Chapter 22: A Memorable Getaway
Chapter 24: Unexpected Guest
Chapter 25: These Found Ghosts
Chapter 26: Confrontations
Chapter 27: Cross, Dusk
Chapter 28: Those to Trust
Chapter 29: The Highway
Chapter 30; What You Know
Chapter 31: Amassing Storms
Chapter 32: Living Proof
Chapter 33: The Face of a Friend
Chapter 34: A Warm Up
Chapter 35: Without Fail, She Falls
Chapter 36: And Yet She Becomes
Chapter 37: Rome Is Burning
Chapter 38: After An Emergence
Chapter 39; Building on Ruins I

Chapter 23: Set In Motion

1K 40 42
By daisysjohnson

"You two wouldn't have anything to do with the half dozen emergency vehicles passing by, would you?"

Natasha had already changed into another outfit, her posture more leisure and lanky than her usual confident stance to be less conspicuous in a crowd. She leaned up against the back side of an older bookstore, one that most likely sold thrifted, thread barren novels more than a decade old. Not much income, no budget for security. No cameras disclosed the location we met in.

I hesitated before answering her rhetorical question, offering a slight shrug, "There was a crash."

"Not Renée?" Nat's head cocked to the side, lips turning down, "Poor girl. Had a good life."

Then run over. If the compromised side of SHIELD hadn't pissed me off enough, they'd sealed the deal with destroying my bike.

Romanoff's pity was soon replaced with a noticeable look towards her watch, "Still almost three minutes late. Despite your tragedy, I'm disappointed, but you've earned some extra points for escaping an intelligence organization after being hospitalized for over a month. Got the drive?"

My hand slipped into the front pocket of my jeans, handing her the silver device that had caused so much trouble. She surveyed it quickly, making sure there was no damage inflicted on it from the chase. I folded my arms across my chest once she glanced back up to me, my eyes bouncing between her and Steve, "So what's our next move?"

Rogers cleared his throat, keeping quiet since we'd met up behind the building. This immediately peeked up my interest, only to be diverted by Natasha, "We're still waiting on Layla."

Now I arched an eyebrow, knowing I wasn't being told something. Why bring Layla into this? To my knowledge, she wasn't involved in any of this, and there was no reason to endanger her, "Why'd you bring in a science and communications agent? Layla doesn't do espionage-"

"And she's a terrible liar. That's why when she said she wasn't a double agent, I knew she was trustworthy." Nat explained, but still didn't give a clear answer to my question, "And right now we need someone who isn't playing both sides."

I shook my head, more confusion adding to an already bewildering day, "It's good to know not everyone wants to turn us in, but why would we bring her with us? She's a genius, but she can barely handle a gun."

"That's why she's not coming with us." Steve spoke from behind me, making me turn to face him. It was almost too easy to spot the unspoken motive that both of my partners had dodged, but the man was practically an open book. His indicative sigh made me clench my teeth, realizing why they had brought my anxious blonde friend in on the rouge mission. This wasn't about Layla being a science officer, this was about finding someone who I personally could rely on.

I pressed my lips together as I glanced from Rogers to Nat, my expectant tone lowering, "Neither am I, right? You're going to sideline me while SHIELD gets taken over."

"We're not sidelining you." Steve spoke directly after my accusation, "Look at it this way; you just got out of the hospital after something magically healed you for a bit. People aren't just after you to lock you up for treason. Someone took you and it looks like they want you back. Running around D.C. trying to discover whatever's on that drive and why Fury died is lining you right up to be exactly where you were five months ago."

That was a nice try at attempting to rationalize their choice, but it practically spelled out my point, "So you're sending me away so I won't burden you while you go figure out why Nick's dead and my organization's corrupt? If you think you guys get to have all the fun-"

Natasha steps forward from her spot against the red brick wall, cutting me off from my rebuttle, "Sienna, this isn't some regular mission, and if it was you still wouldn't be allowed with your health, freaky recovery or not."

"I know it's not, and that's why I have to come. You of all people should know pushing me to the side on important matters doesn't work. I can help with whatever's going on and I will." May I remind them of how I was initially rejected from the Avengers, but still ended up on the ground team because I won't take no for an answer, especially not when it considers the agency I've given my life to. Yes, I'd endanger myself more if I didn't go with Layla, but that was my job.

Steve opens his mouth as if he was going to add yet another reason why it was a terrible idea, but Natasha beat him to it, "You not joining us is helping. Splitting up is our best option and it'll make SHIELD's job that much harder. If all of us are in the same place with the drive, if we're captured, it's all gone. This can all be swept under a rug. Nick's death, the corruption, whatever evidence is on this drive just disappears by locking us up. Right now we're the only ones who have any idea of what's going on. If they catch up with me and Steve, then you're still out there. You could still fight this."

Goddamnit, I usually love it when she's right. Now I despise it because it makes a whole lot of sense. My frustration is shown in the lapse of silence created by my lack of a comeback against her reasoning. Natasha knows she's won, she knew it even before she proposed the logical response because that would be the only thing that would shut me down, "See the point?"

Begrudgingly, I have to agree, "I guess it is one way to solve-"

"It's the only way that makes any sense." Steve chimes, which earns him a deserved eye roll from me.

"I still don't like that you've brought Layla into this. She's a genius, but she's not trained for something- anything like this. The poor girl has anxiety and asthma. The last thing we should be doing is endangering her." I try to derail the topic of conversation away from myself, but I genuinely fear for my friend. Meredith is already paying the price for merely treating me, the last thing I need is her sister ending up in the same position for trying to help.

Rogers shrugs, knowing involving another Renning isn't a good idea, but defends the premise, "Who else could we go to in this little of time? The other Avengers are being constantly monitored and the second we reached out, SHIELD would know."

"Hill's been off the radar since Fury's death, May's team is on assignment, and anyone else we could even try isn't in D.C. We don't have too many options in terms of people we trust." Natasha is becoming tried of me exhausting any possible reason not to separate with them, her tone growing irritated as time runs thin. Her glare has become more poignant and clear cut. Any chance I had at changing her mind has vanished, "Look, you're not coming with us. Not only because of you're condition, but because if something goes wrong, you're the backup plan."

My jaw clenches, not wanting to repeat my disagreement with this whole thing once again because it won't do any good. I hate this. In other circumstances where I wasn't an amnesiac with an anomaly in blood, I'd be okay with similar orders. It makes sense. Yet all I've done the past month is nothing as everything else happened beyond my control. I want to find my mentor's killer. I want to expose whoever is taking over my organization and find some closure on why I am the way I am. Now, I just end up being sent away without a chance to do anything of value concerning any one of those problems.

Behind us, a car turns off from the main road. A white SUV begins to pull into the small parking lot in front of the bookstore. Nat seems to be relieved by the sight, and I can only assume Layla has arrived, "She's late, but that was expected."

Romanoff faces me again, sighing before glancing down at the duffel bag she gave me at the hospital, "If anything goes wrong, and I mean really wrong, there's a burner phone in there. I also packed a few fun things; some of your knives, mint gum, a few small EMPs, that sort of thing. Anything you need will be in there."

I nodded, still gritting my teeth as I adjusted the strap on my shoulder. As Layla's ever familiar blonde hair peeked out from behind the opening driver's door, the spy going off to greet her. I watch as the klutzy scientist waves towards the three of us, seemingly energetic despite the dreary setting for our meeting.

"You know, this won't be as bad as you think. It may only be a day or so before we meet back up." Steve says as we watch Natasha inquire with Layla if she was followed, which route she took to get here, and other such questions.

I turn my head slightly to see him, not liking having to part with him and Nat at all, "Or this could be long and drawn out. We aren't dealing with some rogue agents. This is widespread and uncovering it all won't be easy."

"If that's the case, we'll see each other before the end of it. This is just a temporary solution for now until we have an idea of what we're up against." He tries to reassure me, but it isn't really helping. I want to find out the root of the problem, and road tripping off somewhere entirely different won't help.

I finally sigh, my rigid form settling as I unclench my fist. The word 'temporary' makes the outlook on this entire situation somewhat better, but I still resent it. Though I have to accept that a decision has been made, "Maybe."

We stay quiet whilst we watch the two women in front of us exchange the specifics of the plan. My rather pessimistic response doesn't help ease any of the tension that's seems to have mounted since Fury's death, and part of me regrets it. Yet ignoring reality for the sake of lightening the mood won't help anything.

Natasha gestures for us to come closer as Layla sends a broad grin my way. I return it as I approach, the smile of a friend surprisingly warm in this scenario, "So, where we headed?"

"Colton has a safe house a few hours south. He's already on his way there." Renning rattled off with her gaze jumping between all three of us expectantly.

I furrow my eyebrows at the mention of another name. I thought the plan was to just bring in one person, not several into this small rebellion against SHIELD. The more people involved or aware of our whereabouts, the increase of risk in an operation that already has enough hazard surrounding it.

Natasha exhales, cocking her head to the side as she notices my worried expression, "Apparently Bradley overheard us when I called Layla. He confronted her and offered his help. He should be fine, considering him being Agent 21 meant he was loyal to Fury. He hasn't turned us in yet, so we'll hope for the best. If not, just ICE him when you show up."

The blonde scientist visibly tensed at the proposal of sedating her friend, gulping slightly as she fiddled with her jacket pockets, "But that won't be a problem."

"Better not be, but we'll trust you." Steve says beside me, following up his bitter statement about Colton with a complimentary one to Layla. I side eye him, only to remember why he wasn't very fond of the newest addition to our group of rogues. He and Bradley had never truly gotten along, their style of approaching certain problems drastically different. They had never explicitly fought until I'd been found, and Colton decided to sedate a deranged me instead of the possibility of having Steve's throat slit. I had let the offense go, but my partner clearly hadn't.

"Another patrol will pass us in the next few minutes, so we've gotta head out." Natasha looks back at the road, keeping her gaze glued to the traffic rapidly passing us by. The miscellaneous cars pose no immediate threat, but I doubt it will be long before black SUVs and other undercover SHIELD vehicles merge with them.

"Where are you guys going?" I ask, not knowing anything of what they plan to do after I'm sent off.

She pats her pocket where the drive that has already cause so much trouble was hidden, "Find a place to decrypt this and discover what all the fuss is about. We'll work from there. Once we figure out what's going on, I'll contact you."

My head dips in acknowledgement, knowing our time is slowly disappearing and we had to leave each other soon. Layla fiddles with the keys in her hand, playing with the silver ring binding the various pieces of metal together for a few seconds before darting her gaze back up, "I'll start the car back up so we can get on the road."

She squeezes past me to go back around to the driver's side of the vehicle, opening the door and getting in the seat while the three of us decided on parting words. At first a prolonged silence lasted more than it should have, awkward enough. I didn't know what exactly to say, instead setting my jaw.

Natasha sighs, squinting towards me as a hair flies in her face from a sudden pick up of wind. She grimaces, tucking the stray behind her ear as she once again coaxs me, "You understand this is the best option, right?"

She pays more attention to her tone, not coming off condescendingly, but more concerned. I know she's genuinely doing to both help me and SHIELD if they're apprehended. Still, it doesn't sit well with me, no matter how much logic is invested in the plan, "Right."

It's her turn to nod, features softening for a moment. Romanoff offers a gentle grin, the action a rarity if truly genuine, "We'll get in touch with you in the next 48 hours. If that time's up and you don't hear from us, assume the worst and work from there."

"You realize me 'working from there' probably involves the sudden disappearances of few high ranking agents and senators?" I try to finally calm the wall of stubbornness I had built in the last few minutes in my dislike of the plan, slightly teasing a plot that actually had a chance of happening if all went wrong.

I see Steve grin from my peripheral vision at the proposition while Natasha does the same, going to adjust her ball cap as she takes a few step back, "Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but I have all the faith in you it does, though some government officials can't say the same. Stay safe for now."

"No promises."

"Better than making empty ones." The redhead smirks after her words while beginning to back towards the sidewalk. She keeps moving, finally turning to face her intended path, "I'll let you two do that thing where you stare at each other before speaking softly."

The comment makes my eyebrow quirk up, Natasha not missing it as she gives a subtle wink towards me. I return it with a questioning expression, but she's already faced towards the road and now intentionally ignoring my confusion.

"Do we speak 'softly'?" It's another moment before either of us look at each other, Steve mocking our friend's words.

I offer a careless shrug, not really sure of the remark's true meaning, "It could be interpreted that way, except for when I'm shouting at you about orders or ruining two perfectly good bikes."

"Still not over that?"

"I'm barely coming out of the shock of Renée being crushed. The thought of you purposefully destroying beautiful motorcycles is sacrilege."

"Sacrilege? Isn't that being a bit too over dramatic?"

"And you're one to lecture on dramatics?" A gentle grin has curved my lips, letting my bit of playfulness begin departing words. A brief drop in conversation passes, but it's reconciled without thought as I know we have to leave, "But do try not destroy anything else while I'm gone. I could try telling you not to be reckless, but there's really use in that. It also makes me a hypocrite."

"Like you said, no promises." He repeats my words to Natasha earlier.

Then comes back that odd silence, a tense trepidation that blooms in quiet between us. I try to think nothing of it, but my gut stirs in what might be anxiety. I watch as Steve attempts to reach out and give me some sort of a pat before he leaves, but retracts the action once he notices he'll touch my bad shoulder. Instead, he pensively lets out a sigh before directing a last smile, "Take care of yourself."

"Yeah." Is all I reply with as he begins to join Romanoff, still uneasy as my voice borders on a lighter tone-

Wait a minute.

We did do the thing where we speak softly after looking at each other.

I set my jaw, cocking my head towards where Natasha stands a few yards away, most likely eavesdropping. The woman neutral expression quickly morphs into one I know too well to be mischief once she sees my direct my attention her way. Though the teasing manner is briefly halted when her eyes shift down. I follow her gaze to the duffel bag at my side, wondering why it warranted a look.

The far off wail of sirens approached from several blocks away, and both my partners turn to enter the stream of people on the sidewalk. Within seconds, the begin to mesh easily with local traffic and out of sight. I don't linger on them too long, knowing I'd already stayed to long in the parking lot. Weird looks from friends and other awkward exchanges can be contemplated when I'm not standing out for any stranger to recognize.

I open the door to the passenger's side of the white SUV and instantly, the poignant smell of coffee overwhelms my senses once I entered the compartment. It's no surprise that I find Layla setting down a tall cup in it's holder beside another one, having a backup to fuel what might be loosely considered an actual addiction to the caffeinated, dark roast drink. The scientist had a habit of consuming several servings when concerned.

"So," The blonde twists to face me, starting the ignition as she asks me a question, "How was the ride here?"

I press out a breath, still off loading all the constant stress from getting to the location, recalling a piece of memory I hadn't been able to in months, and whatever bizarre agitation I was feeling lately for no reason, "Eventful."

"Yeah, Romanoff told me about the bike. I'm sorry for your loss." Her condolences regarding the incident come off quite genuine, sympathetic. This of course leads into her usual rambles, a product of both her natural personality and the stimulation of the coffee, "But I welcome you to Wynona, which is what I named this prototype we'll be road tripping with. The car's kind of a James Bond rip off, but I let myself have some fun. The licenses plates switch, it's up to par with bulletproof glass and such, it even changes colors! White is the default, I'm still experimenting with the black, but it can go grey. I planned to add the pop out grenade launchers on the side, but that was a project for next week. Sadly we don't have that.

"As for in-vehicle essentials, I got that tea recipe Jemma gave me I know you liked that helps with your anemia - but apparently that's all healed now...somehow...moving on - but knew you just liked it. Two double shot lattes for me, umm, some snacks in the backseat, though those might be a bit old. Though the muffins in the ziplock bag just came out of the oven less than on hour ago."

I find amusement in her rattling off everything she had packed, but become perplexed by the baked goods, "You made muffins just for the trip?"

"No." She chews on her lip, fingers tapping on her thigh as another hand rests on the steering wheel, "Colton was over at my place for lunch when I got the call and I was just whipping them up. They're gluten free if you were wondering."

I give a slight nod but inquire further, not out of distrust in my friend, just curiosity especially after she mentioned Bradley, "What we're you guys doing at your apartment?"

"It's my day off." Layla explains, reaching for the cup again, "Of course, the only leave I get in several months happens to be after the night the director dies and the day Captain America goes rouge on a corrupt organization, Black Widow disappears to call me, and my amnesiac Avenger friend breaks out of the hospital after a miraculous healing."

She takes a sip, and her visible stress reads through her excitement with showcasing her next technology and gluten free foods. She's putting her job, her career as a SHIELD member on the line for me. I doubt she evens know what's happened to her sister and how Meredith is paying the price for similar actions. The Renning family has already given so much for me, and I'm only asking for more, "I'm sorry about this. Sorry for dragging you into this."

She shakes her head at my attempted apology, instead scoffing under her breath, "Si, you're not dragging me into anything. Someone killed my boss and kidnapped you and it's likely a SHIELD agent's fault. I'm glad I'm not helping them right now by doing my job. I mean, I didn't plan becoming an accomplice today, but it's better than the alternative."

I find a smile on my face, one that's heavy to bear because my friend doesn't realize what's she's getting into. The consequences if we get caught? Not looking good. Yet she energetically pushes through her worry as I thank her again, "I really appreciate this. The whole aiding me in government treason and the muffins."

Layla beams, but moves forward with the conversation's flow to show me one more thing, "Happy to help. Now, I've got one more toy to show you before we set out. Another prototype."

She reaches across to my side of the cabin to the glove compartment. She strains to open it, finally flipping the hatch. The weapon's designer's eyes narrow as she searches for something she must've put there, giving a small 'aha' when her fingers find the unusual cargo. She slides two items into my lap, both which make me eyebrows furrow into perplexity; a printed out picture of a Filipino woman around my age and a lightweight mesh material that seems almost....translucent.

I form a question, but Layla's already beaten me to it, "They've set up random checkpoints all over the city looking for the three Avengers. Now, to get past that and out of DC, I'm going to have you wear that woman's face. With a mask, obviously."

~~~~~~

Agent Caris had not had a good forty-eight hours.

She hadn't left her station, but did finally turn off the taunting blurred screens that were supposed to be transmitting the feed from Firman's hospital room. First, that had stopped working after the patient's meltdown, which already granted Caris punishment. She was supposed to be updating the other operative of Sienna's condition periodically, and her contact hadn't been happy when she failed to do that.

On top of that, Captain Rogers had gotten suspicious. That ended up with a fall from seven stories up, a destroyed quinjet, and Firman escaping with the drive after discovering her true health. All had gone to hell.

At least the doctor was contained. All of Renning's findings were being covered up. False evidence to get her medical license expelled was already mounting. That threat was being cleaned up.

Agent Caris had been drifting in and out of sleep the past few hours. Her contact was angry with her, that was definite. Yet that operative still needed to stay in touch, and the particular redhead HYDRA agent in question was their direct line between them and Pierce. So she had to wait for their message and then report the dispatch to her superiors.

Her phone buzzed beside her, the sound abruptly ending the unintentional nap of the communication's officer. She rubbed her eyes, knowing dark circles had formed over the last few days. She gripped the device, the text she received lighting up the screen as she winced from its harsh brightness. 

I'm in. Target en route.

me: i'm going to update sooner now!

all of my readers: surrrrreee

me after three weeks: *giving you a short, barely edited, action less chapter* wow i updated real late who could've guessed

so hello my friends this chapter took forever to write for some reason because the beginning of the parking lot scene was really prolonged and i felt like bashing my head into computer keys because this chapter is just a set up soz

also.....HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY UNSEEN AVENGER SERIES

(wow i finished the first two books in under a year and this one??? taking forever)

shoutout to mi love Smudge357 who reminded us all of the occasion because i'm a mess without constant reminders of everything

to three years of my favorite bitter child who doesn't deserve anything i give her but she suffers anyway for sake of your reading pleasure

quick note can we also appreciate my fave bean layla's courage like homegirl is a scientist who's never seen combat but nat's like 'yo we're running from our spy organization wanna help' and she's just like 'cool! i'll bring snacks and my unofficial boyfriend!'

(and someone else shows up but that's a spoiler ooops)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.2K 3.4K 10
When Bucky joins the Avengers, he meets the reader, only to find out that they aren't strangers at all and that they share a past that neither of the...
140K 3.4K 33
They witnessed her destruction, Then were left to wonder why, She saw nothing but darkness, Though the stars shone in her eyes, But maybe they'd for...
138K 4.5K 22
(Book 3) Steve and Anna have a surprise of their own, and of course, so does HYDRA. Everything was on the right path for a while for the couple unti...
766K 21.2K 37
A girl with special powers, mind wiped by Hydra, has to be rescued by the Avengers. She has trouble fitting in and coming to terms with what she's do...