Undeniable Truths

By Slytherin_Princess32

Hermione Granger, smartest which of her age, mother, and newly divorced. Trying to make it in the world she g... More

1~ Faster Than You Can Say Transfiguration
2~ Introducing Perceus Weinberg
3~ Life's Funny That Way
4~ Maybe, Just Maybe
5~ They'll See
6~ I See Her Everywhere
7~ You Know Me
8~ Thank You, Healer Weinberg
9 ~ Who Doesn't Know the Name
10~ Cringe Worthy Name
11~ Date Night
12 ~ Hospital Policy
13~ It's Potter Now
14~ Aunt Minny
15~ Not So Happy Birthday
16~ Family Discussions
17~Sweden?
18~ Candy, Cereal, and Falling
19~ We Have the Morning
20~ Letters to Granger
21~ Dinner News and Letters From the Dead
22~ Let Me Leave
23~ Dark Clothes, Dark Eyes
24~ The Flat of Hermione Granger
25~ The House of Perceus Weinberg
26~ Where am I
27~ The Dream
28~ Escape Route
29~ Interrogating Weasley
30~ I Need to
31~ Harry's Input
32~ Awkward Speeches
33~ I Needed This
34~ You
35~ Shopping With Friends
36~ You're Mental
37~ Babies, Sex, and a Naked DeGroot
38~ Not Yet
39~ Pride
40~ Blaise's Help
41~ Quiet Office
42~ Worry
43~ Mature Chapter
44~ Insecurities
45~ Halloween Ball
46~ You're What
47~ Looking Back
48~ Nightmare
49~ Gone
50~ Funk
51~ Lose
52~ Fire and Water
53~ I can't
54~Tapestry
55~ Don't Forget
56~ Just Talk
58~ Goodbyes and Homecomings
59~ The Malfoys
~Epilogue~

57~ Negotiations

5.7K 172 16
By Slytherin_Princess32

"You wanted to see me, Minister?" I step into Kingsley's office.

He sets down the file he was studying. "Mr. Potter, take a seat. I just wanted to know what's going on with the Draco Malfoy case. You haven't updated me in a couple days."

I'm going to have to tell him eventually, but that means I have to arrest Hermione's fiancé. "Well, sir, we've learned he's a healer at Saint Mungos..."

"So, nothing new. I though Detective Granger opened this case months ago, before we even got the tip that he was still alive. How hasn't this case moved forward yet?" Kingsley shakes his head. "This is ridiculous."

I shift on my feet. "There have been so many cases, we can't put priority on a case that was closed almost five years ago."

"Put priority on it, if you don't make an arrest within the month, I'll hire a new detective and Head Auror that can do it. Go it?" Kingsley demands.

"Yes, sir." I head back to my office and sit down at my desk. I know exactly who Draco Malfoy has disguised himself as. He's been living with Hermione for months, which is why I told her to stop investigating it.

I pick up the phone and dial Hermione's number. It rings twice before, "Hello, this is Doctor Weinberg."

"Hey, Percy, it's Auror Potter, is Detective Granger there?"

"Yeah, here she is." There's a rustling on the other end of the line. "This is Detective Granger."

"Hey, Mione, I need you to come into the office as soon as possible." I tap my pen in the desk. "It's about the Malfoy case."

"I'll be there in five."

I put down the phone and start flipping through the different files in my desk. I don't want to have this conversation with Mione, but I know if I don't, we could both lose our job. I've never had Kingsley be so adamant about a case being solved. I don't even want to think about how he's going to act when it comes to sentencing.

"What's going on?" Hermione stands by the door.

I gesture for her to sit down. "Kingsley called me into his office a few minutes ago and asked for an update on the Malfoy case. I told him there was nothing new because it wasn't top priority. He informed me, on no uncertain terms, that it is to priority now." I tap my pen a few times. "He also informed me that if we don't make an arrest within a month, we're no longer going to have jobs."

"What're we going to do?" She runs a hand through her unruly hair. "With it being top priority, there's no way I can fake it any longer than like a week."

"Maybe we should just get it over with. The longer we put this off, the less chance of him being out in time for the twins to be born," I explain. "Kingsley is going to be pissed if, or when, he finds out we've known all along."

"Maybe just put it off for a couple days. I have a doctors appointment the day after tomorrow and I'd like Percy to be there for it." She thinks for a moment. "I'm just going to go talk with him. Can you come over tomorrow with the entire family? I have to go plan something."

*+*+*

2 days later

I know I'm the door. "Ministry, open up!" I feel awful that I have to do this. Yesterday was amazing, Mione looked so happy. I just wish I could put this off a little longer.

The door opens to reveal a messed up Hermione. "Harry..."

"I have to..." I step in and see Draco at the other end of the foyer. "Put your hands where I can see them," I demand.

Malfoy hangs his head and raises his hands. "Can I at least kiss my wife goodbye before you take me away?"

I simply nod my head and watch awkwardly as the newly weds kiss goodbye. "I'm so sorry," I whisper as I take his wand and bind his hands. I apparate us both to the holding cells below the ministry. "I'm sorry, Malfoy. I tried to put it off for as long as I could. At least you and Hermione could tie the knot first."

"Whatever," the blonde sneers as her looks around the dim cell.

"Don't take that tone with me," I snap. "I'm going to try to help as much as I can."

"Forget it, Potter. I already know I'm never going to see the light of day again." He slides down the wall to sit on the floor.

"We need to talk." I sit on the bed.

"What about? How you found out who I am, or how about how you took my from my own home the night after my wedding?" He sneers, "Just go away."

"I'm trying to help you get out of here. " I try to stay calm, but Malfoy is really starting to test my patience.

"You're the one who put me in here!"

"Your actions put you in here. I didn't have a choice, once my superiors found out that Draco Malfoy wasn't actually dead, they threatened mine and Hermione's jobs if the arrest wasn't made." I run my hand through my hair. "I can talk with my superiors and make suggestions on where you end up and for how long. I can persuade them to let you out in time for the twins to be born."

"What about my daughter?" He starts to pace the cell. "Am I going to be able to continue with my meetings?"

I shake my head. "I'm sorry, I dont know. I have a feeling this isn't going to help your case though."

Malfoy abruptly stops and faces me. "That's how word got to your superiors, isn't it? Aubrey hired a P.I. on me, didn't she?"

"I can't answer that." I try to convey the answer on my face and he seems to understand.

"Can Herm come visit me?"

"You can't technically have visitors for the first twenty-four hours." I absently touch my scar. "But she is a detective, so she should be able to come down sooner." I watch Malfoy continue to pace for a few moments. "I had a feeling all along that you were really Malfoy, so did Hermione. She even offered to reopen your case."

"Did she?"

"Yeah, but I don't think her heart was in it. Normally a case takes her two weeks, three on particularly difficult ones, but she had yours open for two months before she gave up." I tap my foot. "I wish there was some way I could help with your custody battle. I tried to postpone the arrest for as long as possible."

"Thanks for trying at least. I know you have your own family to worry about." Malfoy sigh as he slides back down the wall with his head in his hands. "I knew my secret was bound to come out eventually. I healed aurors on a daily basis, I lived with the best detective in Britain who's best friend is the head auror. It's a wonder it didn't come out sooner."

"I suppose." I open the bars of the cell and step out. "I have work to get done, not to mention I have to meet with my superiors. Hopefully I can schedule you a hearing by tomorrow morning." I close the bars. "I really am sorry, Malfoy. I'm going to do everything in my power to get you out as soon as possible."

"Thanks, Potter."

I nod and make my way to Kingsley's office. I know it's a long shot, but I hope I can get Malfoy out before the twins are born. I can't imagine how heart broken I would've been if I would've missed James being born. I also just don't want to see Hermione broken like she was after the divorce with Ron.

I knock on Kingsley's office door. "Come in, Potter. Do you have any news for me?"

"Draco Malfoy is in custody, sir." I shift on my feet.

"You don't seem too happy about this fact, what's going on, Mr. Potter?" He takes his glasses off and studies me. "This isn't like you. Why were you so hesitant to make this arrest? Normally you're elated to make arrests."

"It's a long story, sir..." I have no idea how to approach the subject of his sentencing.

Kingsley sighs, "Then give me the short version."

"He's been working as a healer. Dr. Weinberg, you may recognize the name from him constantly repairing my men." I absently touch my scar. "He really is a good man."

"I see," he breaths. "So, what are you suggesting, Mr. Potter, that we let him go?"

"No, of course not. I just feel as though we should give him a chance at a normal life." I try to sound detached. "He just got married, he's expecting twins in a few months, he has a good career. I say we just make him spend a few months in the medium security prison, and then slap him with a few years of parole and some ministry service."

"A few months in Azkaban, or a full year in Nurmenguard, with five years parole and 250 hours of ministry service," Kingsley states.

"I refuse to send him to Azkaban, he hasn't done anything that terrible, sir." I step forward. "He never killed anyone. He's been using his freedom to help and save aurors. It seems ridiculous to give him a punishment that harsh."

"If I may ask, why're you so soft in this one? He was a Death Water who faked his own death and pretended to be someone else for almost five years. Am I missing something here?" Kingsley presses.

"I'm not sure I can answer that, sir."

"Give me an answer, or he's going to Nurmenguard for well over a year," the minister demands. 

"I've become quite close with him over the years. I was at his wedding. You have to believe me, I had no idea who he was until I started the investigation." I nervously mess up the back of my hair. "I'm sorry, sir. I should've mentioned it sooner."

"You said he's expecting twins?"

"Yes, sir."

"Granger is expecting twins, is she not?"

My eyes widen. "She is..."

He simply nods. "We will hold a trial on Friday morning. Let me think it over and come see my tomorrow before you leave work."

"Yes, sir." I turn to walk out.

"Oh, and, Potter." I turn back to him. "Tell Detective Granger I say congratulations."

"Yes, sir."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.4K 877 20
After a nearly successful suicide attempt, Draco Malfoy is relocated by his Godfather, Severus Snape, to the one place his parents would never think...
18.2K 320 13
Please leave a comment and vote to let me know what you think of the story! <3 _________________________________________ Hermione and her friends re...
20.1K 862 52
The world left behind after the war and Voldemort's demise looks perfect at first glance. Look deeper, and you will know different. Everyone is eithe...
6.7K 162 21
A Dramione Fanfiction that takes place in 6th year. Hermione must learn to fly if she wants to get on with a career. Harry and Ron are too busy, and...