Mondo Pastello | girlxgirl |...

By Digital-Galaxy

She was the type to stare herself in the mirror and see someone else stare back. Someone who was free and lig... More

♕♥ Disclaimers ♥♕
Chapter I ♥ Normality
Chapter II ♕ Foundation
Chapter III ♥ Pastel Ballerina
Chapter IV ♕ Backflips
Chapter V ♥ Fight
Chapter VI ♕ Revelations
Chapter VII ♥ Confiding with Blood
Chapter VIII ♕ Fading
Chapter IX ♥ Worth
Chapter X ♕ Broken
Chapter XI ♥ Wounds
Chapter XII ♕ Sarina
Chapter XIII ♥ Apologies
Chapter XIV ♕ Dinner Hell
Chapter XV ♥ Loyalty
Chapter XVI ♕ Spain
Chapter XVII ♥ Maximiliano
Chapter XVIII ♕ Connections
Chapter XIX ♥ Realization
Chapter XX ♕ Repercussions
Chapter XXI ♥ Trampled
Chapter XXII ♕ Accepting
Chapter XXIV ♕ Presents
Chapter XXV ♥ Her
Chapter XXVI ♕ Salute
Chapter XXVII ♥ Kingdom Surprises
Chapter XXVIII ♕ Feelings
Chapter XXIX ♥ Insecure
Chapter XXX ♕ Wild Things
Chapter XXXI ♥ Paris
Chapter XXXII ♕ Day One of Truths
Chapter XXXIII ♥ Day Two of Sorrows
Chapter XXXIV ♕ Day Three of Scandals
Chapter XXXV ♥ Day Four of Acceptances
Chapter XXXVI ♕ Preparation
Chapter XXXVII ♥ Show Time
Chapter XXXVIII ♕ The Crown
Chapter XXXIX ♥ Jasper
Chapter XXXX ♕ Epilogue
Sequel: Mondo Profondo ♙

Chapter XXIII ♥ Last Evening

56.3K 2.6K 431
By Digital-Galaxy

Melanie's dress above ♥

♕♥ ♕♥ ♕

"I can't do this. I just can't," presently I was flipping out, Alejandro storming after me like a lost puppy.

"It's not that bad, Mel!" he called after me, using dramatic gestures to try and make me feel better.

"You're right. 'Bad' is an understatement. Absolutely horrifying comes close, but I'm sure I can find a better word," I nodded towards him with determination, circling the room whilst walking backwards so that he couldn't come near me.

"You're being ridiculous!" he jogged towards me, but I only recoiled and moved backwards more quickly.

"No, 'ridiculous' isn't really the emotive word I am looking for," he suddenly stopped in his track and sighed deeply, raking his fingers through his hair as if he was going to pull them all out at once.

"You're bloody nuts!" he called after me, but I could only give him a scoff before adorning a satisfied look.

"That was the most British thing I have ever heard!" I countered, throwing his words from a week ago back at him. He deflated and crumbled onto the ground, not caring at all how unprofessional it seemed. We were alone in the ballroom, after all. It was five hours before the state ceremony will begin, and I was procrastinating. Alejandro had managed to drag me from my temporary room to the ballroom, with heels tucked under his arm. Now we were trying to slow dance, but after what happened the first night when he danced with me, I was a little sceptical. Sure enough, my heels had more than once penetrated his precious foot flesh.

"Running away won't make you a better dancer!" he cried out desperately, lying face down on the ground as an existential crisis overtook him. Was that my fault? Still, I felt offended at his words and my jaw dropped at his words.

"Excuse you! I'm sure if I learn to run a marathon in these mountains of death then I will certainly be a better dancer!" I shot back at him.

"If that's the case, then maybe you should have done the Running of the Bulls with me. In heels!" he retorted back, his voice muffled by the spotless dancing floor. The room had been decorated the previous day and presently the banquet hall down the corridor was being fixed up for Spain's nobility and leaders.

I felt nervous about meeting the King but tried not to get too nervous. There was a lot of things that could stir even more tension within me so I tried to avoid them. Running around, annoying the Spanish Prince seemed to be my unconscious response. I wasn't complaining.

"Why did I ever agree to take you in?" he mumbled to himself, and I found myself heading towards his unmoving body. I bend onto my knees next to him, sitting like I was taught professionally, and twirled my fingers into his hair. It was softer than I had expected and certainly curly. I wondered which product he used and debated on asking him about it. I eventually decided against it after I remembered how messed up my hair was after the abuse of removing three year-old purple stains.

I didn't want to think about it.

"Am I like a lost puppy?" I asked, a hopeful tone seeping into my voice.

"More like a lost dove," he grumbled back.

"A dove?"

"I don't like doves," I lightly slapped his shoulder. He quickly snapped out of his sulking nature and jumped to his feet. He pulled me up with him. "We need to get dressed," at this I simply nodded, knowing it was inevitable. He escorted me back to my room, not that he needed to. I was accustomed to the palace by now.

♕♥ ♕♥ ♕

A handmaiden was waiting in my chambers, a red dress in her arms. Why did Alejandro continuously decide that I had to wear red dresses? Did I look better in the colour? That would be good to know.

As if my dancing skills weren't all ready restricted by heels, it had to be a strapless mermaid dress. I knew that I wouldn't be able to focus at the ceremony. My attention is going to be solely on the slight cleavage that peaked through the dress. I really wasn't one for showing off myself.

She braided my hair into a crown around my head which I thought was a miracle itself. She had taken one look at my battlefield of a head and decided that there was no way it would be let loose and managed to tame it. People really were amazing.

I was pacing around the room after she left, nervous to know that on the other side of the palace the banquet hall was filling up with Spain's most important people. I instinctively began running all of my lessons through my head and how to be proper. It was easy with the Prince because he was near my age and still blossoming into the expected mature King he would be, but with all of the other important Spaniards I was completely clueless. Did they expect me to speak in Spanish? Was there customs for a Spaniard royal dinner and ceremony I was not aware of? Did I miss anything important he tried to tell me?

I felt like I had procrastinated and was now facing an exam I had not prepared for. Although, I have never been in any education system except home-schooling so I couldn't honestly say how it felt like. I could emphasise more with the feeling of going onto a stage for a dance and knowing I could've practiced more.

A knock on the door send me jumping into a little frenzy. I wasn't ready for this. The pressure of being on a stage or in front of a stadium full of people was nothing compared to being addressed as a guest of honour in front of Spain's important. They'll be watching me, looking for flaws.

"Mel? Are you okay?" I heard Alejandro's concerned tone and found myself honing in on his voice, hoping to find some comfort out of it. I figured he was the type who knew how to comfort and calm someone down, as I had seen him do it to me more than once. I reluctantly pulled open the door and immediately his worried eyes made contact with my nervous vision. He pulled me into a hug without hesitation and I wrapped my arms around his neck, the heels at least offering me some height against his tall figure. His hands squeezed at my arms.

"You don't need to worry about a simple thing. I'm going to be by your side through the whole thing. I won't leave your side for a second. I promise," I clung to his words like a hawk, secretly wishing it was Sarina who was offering me the support. She was taller than me, and certainly not as tall as Alejandro which made it a good thing. I can't reach Alejandro's face.

"I'm nervous,"

"Well that's obvious. I think the easiest course of action would be if I just do this," and without warning, Alejandro scooped me up into his arms. My face immediately flustered, my instincts wanting to cover my face from the world.

"Well this is terrific," I retorted, reluctantly letting him carry me to the other side of the palace.

"You look beautiful," he commented and that shut me up. I was quiet as he carried me, my mind a warzone. When we got closer to the banquet hall, he placed me down on my feet. I could hear the gently buzzing from inside but I tried not to take notice. I was attempting to clear my head but it didn't work out as planned. After spotting us, a Royal Guard stepped into the banquet through open doors. They looked completely different than the United Kingdom's guard but just as elaborate. I could hear him introducing Alejandro with his detailed title, and then I could hear my own which I'm trained to recognize.

"... Su Alteza Real de Reino Unido, la Princesa Melanie Annabelle Darlington la Cuarta," I never noticed how long my title was before it was said in another language, and that made me even more nervous considering how longer the title, the higher the expectations. I felt Alejandro tugging me inside, rearranging my arms so that I had one arm hooked through his. I still felt unsteady on my heels but luckily it was the banquet first, which didn't consist of a full course meal but finger foods which took longer to eat. I had a while before needing to dance.

The banquet hall was filled to the brim, at least sixty well-groomed people having their eyes fixed on my form. I tried to appear as calm and collected as possible, which I think I managed by the impressed looks on the seated faces. Inside, however, my heartbeat was echoing against my eardrums. Breathe in, breathe out.

I was escorted to the other side of the hall. There were three tables, two at the sides and one at the end of the hall. I spotted the King of Spain in his formal attire, the gentle look on his aging face calming me somewhat. I noticed that the Queen was absent but faintly remembered Alejandro saying she was sickly. I felt bad for her.

We came to a stop in front of the King and collectively bowed and curtsied. He wasn't as strict as I had expected, a smile overtaking his face as he stood from his seat and came around the table, stopping in front of us.

"Princess Melanie, it is an honour for you to be here with us," he said with a warming tone I recognized. Now I knew where Alejandro got it from. He took my hand into his and placed a gentle feather kiss to the back of my palm. I was surprised to hear he spoke English with me, but after one look at Alejandro, I noticed it was because of his doing.

"The pleasure is all mine, Your Majesty. I feel truly welcomed into your country," I gave another smooth curtesy. He gave me a smile before greeting his son, pulling him in for a hug. I could practically feel the proudness of everyone behind me for their Royal Family who didn't hide their close relationships. They were family, after all. My parents wouldn't dare hug me in public, and rarely did so in private. It made me envious of the encounter which was taking place in front of me.

They gently ushered me into a seat at the head table, next to Alejandro who took up a seat next to the King. I didn't feel as tense anymore and discovered myself to be calm, but I still ignored all of the eyes from the other tables. Men and woman sitting in formal dresses and tuxedos, military outfits and badges shining through the room while glittering jewellery blinded my vision. I felt underdressed, but then again I didn't pick out my outfit. And I felt beautiful, so who cares about their opinions?

The gentle buzzing resumed as everyone talked, the King making small talk with me about my time in Spain and all the attractions. I was honest in all my descriptions, happy to have seen such a beautiful country up-close. He asked me about the brace on my hand, and I was momentarily afraid that he might change his opinion on me after hearing what I had done. Surprisingly, he laughed it off and mentioned how Alejandro fractures his arm after being trampled by a bull. The hospital visit the day before had been quite the experience, but at least he could cover up his injury with his suit. Mine was visible for everyone to see, but after almost a month of wearing it, it felt integrated.

We talked about my parents and some of the encounters my parents had in Spain, including meeting Alejandro when he was still a teenager and how he got respect from my father. Apparently it included taking my mother to a spa and personally cooking my father's favourite meal. It made me chuckle imagining him in the kitchen, the staff standing by with wide and concerned eyes. It made me wish for more time, a craving within me to see all these different kinds of sides from my Spanish friend.

The food was delicious, but after tasting the palace's food once before, it came as no surprise. These people knew all about fine cuisine. As the banquet progressed I found myself forgetting all about my nerves. I even conversed with some of the other Spaniard, but mostly about how I felt about Spain in comparison with the UK. I felt liberated by my past worries, and it felt like I was on a happy high. This was my last night in Spain and I was enjoying it to the fullest.

Eventually the King stood up and addressed the room, stating that the part was being moved to the ballroom. Alejandro translated for me, and now I was feeling a little bit more worried. Alejandro and I were expected to deliver the first dance, in front of everyone. I still wasn't comfortable with my heels, but I feel that I never will. If I could ban heels from the world, then I would. But I'm short, so it did give me some boost.

"It'll be fine. I think my feet can handle it," Alejandro whispered to me as we headed to the middle of the ballroom, my hand securely in his. All of the eyes surrounded us and I felt like some sort of creature on display.

"Let's hope so," was all I mumbled, not willing to put up a fight. We settled into a position for slow dance and waited until the mini orchestra began a classical piece. We swayed gently, just liked how we had practiced at the beginning of the day. My footwork was unpolished and I hope they wouldn't notice, but under the mermaid dress I guess it was impossible to tell. I recognized the music, but I couldn't figure out from where. On second thought, my brothers may have played this. A longing for home settled deeply within me and I danced my emotions out. Alejandro was surprised at my quickening and diverse dancing style but followed through with it. It wasn't long before the rest of the people gathered partners and joined in the melody. The King without his King sat on top of a throne at the end of the ball on a raised platform, smiling over his people. His face was a mixture of proud and contempt as he watched Alejandro and I dance.

I didn't feel nervous anymore. It reminded me too much on the night Sarina and I had danced under the moonlight, her in her waitress uniform and me in my ballet clothes. I missed ballet more than I could have ever dreamed and found myself longing back to the good old days. The days where I would impress Madame with my grace and Caleb would tickle my sides while placing feathery kisses all over my face. I longer for the days where my parents were contempt with my lifestyle and the twins weren't getting themselves into trouble. I longed for the days where I would feel rebellious sneaking out to see my lover and Ian proclaiming his absolutely loyalty to me.

The only difference was, I wished that Caleb and Sarina were replaced.

I longed for Sarina and I couldn't deny it anymore.

No matter how much I wanted to.

Without realizing it, I pulled myself closer to Alejandro until my head was resting on his chest. Our feet were moving gently and I found myself wondering what kind of things were passing through his mind. Would he miss me when I'm gone or would he rejoice? After all of the problems I've caused his poor emotional state, he might enjoy me out of his hair. I was a handful, I admit, but anyone who can deal with me for so long deserved to be deemed important.

I just can't wait for him to be King.

"What are you thinking about?" he mumbled to me as we headed to a waltz.

"I'm going to miss Spain," I admitted that fact for the first time out loud, and he almost seemed too happy to hear my words. He leaned over and placed a lasting kiss on my forehead, not caring who was watching. I felt my cheeks warm up and I instinctively pulled him closer. I wondered to myself, had I not have feelings for Sarina, then would I have for Alejandro?

I quickly realized the answer. Even if I was alone and had no one, I still wouldn't feel anything towards Alejandro but attraction to his warm personality because I finally accepted a part of me which I didn't know about. It was the part of myself that admired males, but adored females. Did I ever love Caleb, or was that a trick my mind had played with me?

"In that case, you better enjoy our last evening here," it almost sounded like a threat but knowing the type of person he was, it brought a smile to my face. I squeezed his bicep as we danced and gave a quick nod, a smile adorning my face. Confidence seeped in my soul as I enjoyed my first official dance with the Prince of Spain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 63.4K 74
{Royals and Peasants Book 1} [COMPLETED] {#1 in Paranormal: 02/09/18} "Laws are just as fragile as silence. It only takes one person to break it and...
44 2 8
**Feel free to leave comments or suggestions!!** Crown Prince Emrys Tesra, heir to the human kingdom of Aetheria, possesses a secret that he dare not...
7.8K 433 55
Being gay is hard. Like really hard. Especially for a socially awkward introvert like Queen, who grew up single for fear of being out there. When Que...
474K 6.6K 51
The night after her parents death, she's forced and threatened by the Queen at the age of ten to get engaged to the princess whose father is the murd...