Terrestrial Alien βœ”

By SpookiPunk

In the middle of nowhere, eight-year-old Joshua Gonzalo discovers something rather odd. There lay another lit... More

Preamble
[ Part I ] Chapter 1: It came from space
Chapter 2: Digging a pit of lies
Chapter 3: Truth
[ Part II ] Chapter 4: Life Still Goes On
Chapter 5: Sports Oriented
Chapter 6: Still Here
Chapter 7: Till death do we reunite
Chapter 8: Foreboding Mistakes
Chapter 9: Encounter of the 3rd kind
Chapter 10: Alien
Chapter 11: Teeth
Chapter 13: The Girl Named Ying
Chapter 14: Saturday Cinema
Chapter 15: Unfixing and Entering
Chapter 16: To the Moon and Back
Chapter 17: Queer Fear
Chapter 18: Post Trauma
Chapter 19: Windsor vs Grand Junction
Chapter 20: Rainout
Chapter 21: A Little Conversation
Chapter 22: Something Strange
Chapter 23: From the Other Side of a Fence
Chapter 24: Batter Up!
[ Part III ] Chapter 25: Don't Leave Him
Chapter 26: A Grey Sky
Chapter 27: Sundering
Chapter 28: Lies Fit no Locks
Chapter 29: Perkins and Co.
Chapter 30: Talk to Him
Chapter 31: Home
Chapter 32: Biting Back
Chapter 33: Still Waiting
Chapter 33 and a half: Ethan
Chapter 34: Nostalgic
Chapter 35: No Room for Regret
Chapter 36: Can we?
Chapter 37: Trust Me
Chapter 38: Meteorite Map
Chapter 39: A Backyard Galaxy
Chapter 40: Monster
Chapter 41: Nothing Adds Up
Chapter 42: Take A Moment
Chapter 43: Stay, Stay Here
Chapter 44: Terrestrial Alien
Chapter 45: A Pinstriped Mob Boss
Chapter 46: Our Past... Our Future
Chapter 47: Mint Touches
Chapter 48: The Cat and the Bag
Chapter 49: A Chance Meeting
Chapter 50: The Cat's Out
Chapter 51: The Library
Chapter 52: Meteorite Map, Found
Chapter 53: An Impromptu Intervention
Chapter 54: Not A Monster
Chapter 55: Freedom or Capture
[Part IV] Chapter 56: Through the Desert
Chapter 57: A Promise to Hurt No More
Chapter 58: The Stranger
Chapter 59: Belly of the Beast
Chapter 60: Take a Seat
Chapter 61: The Man with a Galaxy on His Hand
Chapter 62: That Night, That Meteorite
Chapter 63: To Trust One's Enemy
Q&A
Chapter 64: Testing, Testing
Chapter 65: Tug-of-War
Chapter 66: Reunion
Chapter 67: Una Estrategia
Chapter 68: The Schrodinger's Cat of Plans
Chapter 69: Everything, Their Everything or Our Everything.
Chapter 70: Escape Area 51
[Part V] Chapter 71: Night Air
Chapter 72: A Thing or Two About Bad Memories
Chapter 73: A Fugitive's Questions
Chapter 74: Dialling...
Chapter 75: CafΓ© Rendezvous
Epilogue: Poppies and Daisies
Final Author's Note

Chapter 12: A Warm Feeling

3.9K 212 32
By SpookiPunk

Seth

Consciousness returns to me slowly, almost body part by body part. First I'm aware of the cool grass sticking to my cheek, and then the rough brick wall at my back and the stiff ache to my shoulders. I almost wish I could reach out and snatch back the peaceful bliss of sleep, so I can go back to floating on that problemless cloud where real life has no standing. But cold hard reality has wrapped its fist around my mind, and it slowly squeezes tighter and tighter, till every last drop of sleep has left my mind.

On another dreadful note, my nose is freezing.

With a groan, I curl up tighter into a ball, knowing chasing sleep is futile but... I can at least just lay here... for a little longer... Strangely enough, the rest of my body doesn't feel as cold as my nose. A little stiff and sore maybe, but not frozen to the point of no longer being able to feel the extremity. I find myself struggling to understand the oddity, and I suppose a little bit of grogginess still clings to my brain, since I can't shake the warm and fuzzy enveloping feeling I have.

Hazily, I move to push myself up into a sitting position, feeling my bones creak in protest as I do so. The movement has something coarse brushing over my skin that I don't understand at first; Two and two bump against each other in my head for a couple moments before they come together, and I abruptly realise why the rest of me is warmer than my nose. I lean my back against the brick wall behind me, and look down at the bluish-green fabric that is balled up in my fists. A fleece blanket is wrapped around my shoulders for a reason I don't understand, and I struggle to push through the grogginess of sleep to figure out why. When did I ever get a blanket..?

My vision fades in and out of focus a bit with fatigue, and I blink to clear away the feeling. My gaze adjusts to be treated with the familiar view of Joshua's backyard, and just like that everything seems to come back to me, hitting my sleep-addled senses in a cold, sobering wave. I remember trying to talk to Joshua last night, I'd been mad about the girl, and— he wouldn't let me in, he had a friend over, and I couldn't bring myself to leave despite that. I felt replaced, and I stayed outside all night like a punished dog. My jaw clenches involuntarily, but I force myself to relax. It's not his fault I stayed, I scold myself, and it's not wrong of him to seek company. I just wish it'd be my company.

But the blanket. I prompt myself to try to remember, but, I know I didn't have it before I went to sleep... However... I do remember seeing a similar blue blanket draped over the side of the couch in Joshua's living room. The connection is like a happy pill that takes effect immediately: Once I realise, I can't help the cheek splitting grin that works its way onto my face of its own accord.

Joshua must have given it to me while I was sleeping, there's no other explanation. I mean, how else could I have gotten the blanket? If anyone else had found me, they would have surely woken me up and made me leave, considering the fact that camping outside someone's house is typically unacceptable behaviour. But if Joshua found me and gave it to me... Just the thought of him being concerned for me has the warmth from the blanket spreading to my insides in a light feeling that bubbles in my chest, making me feel excited and giddy.

I hug the blanket against myself tighter for a moment, enjoying not only its warmth, but also the faint smell of his house that reminds me of Joshua. Not only that, but I'm smiling stupidly as I think about what it could mean for my relations with my favorite human. Has he actually accepted me? Or is he apologizing? The giddiness is exuberating!

But my racing thoughts have to come to a fizzing halt as reality checks me; I hear the front door click and swing open. I'm still hiding beside Joshua's house, I remind myself, and my ear twitches as my head turns in the direction the sound. I am able to pick up at least two sets of footsteps, one of which I know is Joshua's.

"... and you know you can always talk to me, right?" A voice is saying as it's owner steps out of the house. It must belong to Joshua's replacement friend— Ethan, I believe his name is?

I can faintly make out a sound that might be Joshua's sigh. Quietly I try to creep closer to the corner of the house to hear better as he responds, "I know... and I appreciate that, Ethan. Thank you. And..." There's a pause as I can only assume that Joshua looks at his friend. I'd move closer to see, but my fear of being caught is stronger than my desire to see. "And maybe I'll explain everything to you. Sometime. I promise." Joshua says finally, and the words take a moment to sink in with me.

The serious way he's talking, the vulnerability in his voice... He's... He's talking about me, isn't he? My heart lumps into my throat, and I can't decide if this is a good thing or not.

"But not now?" I hear Ethan finish for him with a smile in his voice. "That's fine, bro. Whatever's bothering you, you can tell me on your own time. No rush. Just know I'll be here for you no matter what." I hear a muffled thump as he... clasps his shoulder, it sounds like? I strain my hearing to make sense of the situation without seeing it.

"Now," Ethan's voice says again, suddenly more chiper. "That's enough seriousness for one day— I can get out of your hair now. Thanks for having me over, Malone! And— Thanks for having me over, Mr. Gonzalo! I swear I'll let you know before I come over the next time!" He raises his voice for the last part, which is directed over Joshua's shoulder, inside the house.

I don't listen to hear if Joshua's father responds; Ethan then heads down the porch's cement steps to the driveway, where I can finally see him from my hiding place at the house's side.

"See you later, you dork." Joshua calls after him, his begrudging smile audible in his voice. "And do your homework when you get home! I want it done before we get to school!"

Ethan stops before where his bike is sprawled on the ground to pivot in place, saluting his friend comically. "Aye, aye, Capt'n!" He responds happily.

Shortly after Ethan mounts his bike and pedals off, I hear the front door click shut again behind Joshua. After he's gone, I'm filled with a moment of wishing he would have somehow noticed me, but I know I shouldn't want that. He doesn't want you, remember, Seth?

With a bittersweet sigh, I tilt my head back against the wall behind me. I try to think of anything other than my need to have Joshua's attention, so I instead wonder as to the time. If Joshua is telling his friend to do his homework before school, then it must be a good while before 8:15. A quick glance to the sky above confirms that, with the sun's positioning, it's probably around 5:30-ish? Honestly, it's not surprising to me that Joshua would kick his bedraggled friend out at the crack of dawn for school work. It's almost kind of amusing.

I can't distract myself for long with these thoughts though, as my attention is slowly dragged away by the sound of Joshua's footsteps moving further into the house. Eager to follow, I stand in a low crouch and trail close behind the sound from the other side of the house's outer wall. I soon find myself sitting back down on my haunches beneath the same window as before, listening to Joshua stop somewhere between the kitchen and the living room. A part of my brain whispers to me to lean up and peek inside through the window, but I deny myself. I shouldn't let Joshua see me since I still don't know how okay he is with me.

Despite these thoughts, I soon hear the faint murmurings of another conversation, and I can't help my curiosity from being piqued. Presumably he's talking with his father, but about what? Sinking well below the windowsill to remain hidden, I lean close against the wall and strain my ears to listen to what I can of the conversation.

"...know who it was?" I hear the severely muffled voice his father saying, and I frown somewhat with confusion. Know who?

"No, dad, I don't know who it was. He was just some random guy who was valiant enough to want to, and strong enough to actually stop the car." It's Joshua this time who speaks, and what he says finally clicks. The car incident, they're talking about the car incident.

My stomach clenches with unease at the reminder of it, only growing when I realise that Joshua is lying to his father about me. Oh god, he hates lying, he hates doing that..! I feel a wave of guilt wash over me; This can't end well, for me or for Joshua.

"Then why did you chase him?"

I can just faintly hear Joshua sigh. "I don't know, okay, Dad? I— It was a spur of the moment thing; I was in shock, I wanted to know who he was, and I wanted to thank him, so I just went for it. I didn't end up catching him, and I missed practice anyway. I know better now, alright? It was a mistake; a big, giant, blundering accident. I won't to let myself be distracted by my phone enough that I'm not aware of my surroundings again, promise. And— I'm not going to chase after strange people I don't know. Sound fair?"

Now it's his father's turn to let out a long sigh. "Alright, yes..." He says, any anger in him deflating, "And I'm sorry, son, if I'd have known my date was going to be so surprising to you I would've called after practice, so it's partly my fault as well, I'm sorry. I didn't at all think something like this would... happen. But, I'm just glad you're safe."

"Oh, Dad... Don't blame yourself, alright? I know you're gonna beat yourself up about this, but it wasn't your fault. It was a combination of a lot of different peoples' mistakes."

Joshua sounds much more level headed than I'd expected, and I almost can't believe I doubted him. His logic is sound, and I can tell his father understands as I faintly hear him make a sound of acknowledgement. I assume he must have nodded, because then Joshua is moving into the living room and away from the conversation.

"Thanks again for getting my phone, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully it'll work again after charging it, even if it's cracked to hell." I hear him saying as he walks. I stiffen as his voice grows clearer the closer he comes to my hiding place.

Glancing up through the window, I can actually see him moving around in the living room, grabbing a backpack off the ground and looking through it. His father responds with something I don't catch, my attention focused only on Joshua now. Please don't come over, I think anxiously, just don't come over, and don't turn around. He'll be mad if he knew I stayed, blanket or not.

I'd actually try to leave now if I wasn't afraid of the movement catching his eye. He starts to turn towards the hallway, thankfully, to go to his room to work on the homework he ignored yesterday probably, but then for some reason... he stops. My blood freezes as I see him pause for a moment, before then turning heel and starting to meticulously make his way to the window I'm hiding under.

I know the moment he spots me as his brown eyes lock onto mine, and I'm uneasy to say I can't tell the emotion hiding behind them. He continues to make his way to the window, without halting till he reaches it. I can't help but stare up at him with a deer-caught-in-headlights look as he stares down at me with that impassive expression, before — much to my surprise — he unlatches the window and slides it up.

"Give it to me." He says in a voice as blank as his face, and I freeze, momentarily not understanding.

But then I'm reminded of the blanket still wrapped around my shoulders, and I realise what he means. With a sheepish smile, I shrug it off and hold it up to him, allowing him to snatch it from my hand. The very fact that he's talking to me of his own accord, whether it's to take the blanket back or not, still fills me with such an elated feeling that it leaves me light as air inside.

"Thank you, by the way." I work up the courage to say, smiling in earnest now. "It was actually growing kind of cold... So I appreciate it."

The reaction I get isn't what I expected at all; Joshua stiffens and his eyes widen only slightly, something strange and almost scared-like reflecting in them for a moment. I look up to him in confusion, and he seems to notice, shaking his head as if to rid himself of the emotion, whatever it was.

"No problem." He mumbles distractedly, before looking back to me with that hard look again. "Next time don't sleep outside here, find somewhere else to stay. I don't care where it is, as long as it's warm and you're out of my hair. I don't want to have to explain..." He gets stuck as he tries to find the right word, gesturing with his free hand for a moment before he settles on, "you  to my dad or his girlfriend— who, by the way, would recognise you because of your little stunt — Alright?"

I can only stare up at him for a stunned, silent moment, not knowing what to say.

"Alright?" He asks more firmly this time, jolting me with the sudden fierceness to his words. "This is the closest you're going to get to being in my life, so you better take it and run or I swear you'll get the real boot. Do. You. Understand?"

I quickly nod, not trusting my voice at the moment to speak, and I have to keep my mouth from hanging agape. He's actually... being nice to me? Or, accommodating at least, but this is a giant step forward from not wanting to see me ever again. He didn't even say I couldn't be near him during the day, all he's making me agree to is not sleep outside his house. Holy hell, I can deal with that.

"Then good." Joshua grumbles in affirmation, still looking down at me when the look I don't understand slowly starts to creep back into his gaze. He looks as if he's recalling something, and worrying about whatever it is. I grow eager to figure out what it is as he hesitantly opens his mouth to seemingly say something else, but he seems to wait just a second too long to get it out.

"Joshua? Are you talking to someone..?"

My blood freezes as I hear his father's voice and the sounds of his footsteps coming over from the kitchen; Joshua's reaction is similar. He startles me as he swiftly shuts the window and latches it again, sending me a quick look through the glass that I can easily figure out. I'm disappointed with the interruption, but I do as he wants as I quickly scamper out of the view of the window and around the house. I can't hear them talking anymore, but I assume he's telling yet another dreaded quick lie for my sake.

Just the knowledge of it and thinking about the encounter makes me pleased on a small level though, making me feel like this visit had been successful even if I wasn't able to talk to him about what I came for. Even so, this gives me something to work with and, well, work for as well, if I'm being honest.

Now all I really have to do is find out where this Marcel, "Maggie" friend lives, then hopefully I'll be able to right everything all at once. How exciting!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 235 27
I was used to the quiet. The isolated life I had made for myself felt safe away from the greed and carnage the world left behind. The apocalypse wasn...
17K 778 78
Stolen away by the Reapers, Killian must quickly adjust to his new surroundings in order to survive. It isn't easy when your captor seems to have a c...
21.8K 978 24
πŸŒˆγ€π’Άπ“ƒ 𝓂𝓂 π“π‘œπ“‹π‘’ π“ˆπ“‰π‘œπ“‡π“Žγ€‘ Andrew Parker's life has always felt like a series of tough breaks. Growing up in the remote stretches of Alaska, h...
70.8K 7.1K 37
Being queer isn't the easiest shit. Being queer and living in small town South Dakota is by far the most difficult shit. Unfortunately, five extrem...