Frost on the Green (The Green...

By CatMint5

After getting shot during a burglary some months ago, Alissa Clover Green is on her way to full recovery. She... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Last A/N to Frost on the Green - What's to come?

Chapter 13

6.2K 158 75
By CatMint5

Chapter dedicated to ElinHadasa and her mom, Yolanda

Disclaimer:  I am not a licensed herbalist. The plants-related information I give in this chapter, I've gather after basic research. DON'T USE THIS AS A REFERENCE IF YOU FEEL ILL!!!

*****

Alice's POV

I inhaled deeply as I entered the store and the rich aroma of the herbs made me smile.

"Back already?" The owner asked, looking at me through the thick lens of her glasses.

"Yep, I need to fill my supplies," I responded and walked straight in the direction of the plants I was after.

I really enjoyed this store.

It wasn't just because of the affordable prices, or the helpful owner who loved herbs as much as my aunts and I did. Nor was it the close proximity to our apartment building.

No.

It was the atmosphere that made it my favorite in Aberville.

Miss Marjolaine Odell, or Margie for short, was the proud owner of Odell's Herbs & Spices store, the products for which she supplied mostly from her own personal garden. You would not only come upon ziplock bags and mason jars bursting with goods but also find clay pots with living plants such as basil, parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme.  And those – the living, growing ones, were my favorite, especially now that I no longer lived under Elanor's rule and I could raise them in the apartment.

"Something calming again, Alice?" Margie inquired as I neared one of the many wooden stands.

"Yes," I replied, picking a bundle of freshly cut lavender and valerian.

"You know, you could get some passion flower," she suggested moving away from the counter to come by my side. "You shouldn't use it with other sedatives though; it might cause some nasty side effects."

I turned my gaze to the pot which contained the passion flower. I'd never used it before but I was familiar with its purpose.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" Margie asked the two middle-aged women who had just entered her store. After they gave her a nod, she passed me with a smile and went to aid them. It wasn't uncommon for her to leave me on my own as she knew I'd find my way around the place. Both of us being herb-lovers, we'd spent hours – yes, literally hours, talking about our hobby. Well, my hobby, her livelihood.

"Passion flower," I read from one of the information labels that Marjolaine put on each of her products. "A flowering plant," Duh, I could see that! "An herbal sedative that can give you a sense of calm and help you sleep better." My heart jumped. Could this be what I needed to get through my nightmares? I kept on reading, paying more attention than before. "It's often used to treat insomnia related to anxiety... DO NOT USE WITH OTHER SEDATIVE DRUGS!!!"

The last sentence was written in capital letters and with not one but three exclamation marks and I wondered how awful the side effects could be for Margie to feel the need to put such a noticeable warning.

"Alice," a wrinkled hand was put on my shoulder and pale eyes gazed at me from behind thick lenses. "Maybe if you tell me exactly why you need the calming herbs, I'd be able to give you something more suitable?"

I bit my lip and looked around the shop.

It was empty now even though it usually had at least a couple of costumers browsing through the stands.

"The nightmares," I muttered and her eyes filled with sympathy. It took four visits to this shop for me to open up to her and tell her about the shooting. It had always been hard to go back to those memories, but Margie made it somewhat simpler. Maybe it was because at the time she was a stranger and sometimes it's easier to talk to strangers.

"The chamomile and the rest you tried don't work?"

I shook my head.

"Maybe if I had more, but I don't want to take too much; I know what might happen then," I replied. "That's why I'm a bit scared to try the passion fruit."

"That is very commendable, Alice," the old lady smiled warmly. "It is good to see that even after what you've been through, you are still in control."

"I don't feel like I'm in control," I started to protest but she hushed me.

"Of course you are! Many people would turn to drugs, some would go into such deep depression as to harm themselves, but you, Alice, keep fighting. You are careful with what you take and how much you take and you do your best to move on."

"You sure know how to make me feel better, Margie," I said with a smile. "Thank you!"

"You are a very responsible girl, Alice," her hand was on my shoulder again. "And I got just the therapy for you!"

I raised my eyebrow, thinking she'd suggest that I use a new herb.

"Why don't you come and work for me?" She asked instead.

"What? You are offering me a job?"

"Yes," she nodded. "You know enough to handle the clients and I could use some help around the store. Besides, that way I'll get to see more of that handsome boyfriend of yours if he comes pick you from work," she added with a wink, making me laugh. It was amazing how jolly I felt right now even though I felt like crying not five minutes ago.

"So what do you say?"

"When can I start?"

*****

I semi-jogged on my way to the apartment, almost dropping my shopping bags in my haste.

I couldn't wait to tell Caden!

I knew that his pride would be slightly damaged since he was still unemployed, but with me helping out at the herb shop, we wouldn't have to worry so much about money. Besides, I was sure that he'd be happy I'd found a job I'd love.

"Cade," I almost shouted once inside the apartment. "Are you here, baby?"

Seems like he hasn't returned yet, I thought when I got no reply. I went into the kitchen and started putting the new herbs in the cabinets. He's probably out drawing again. Maybe he's gone to that church he talks about so much? I know he'd sketched it before but he keeps returning to that place. Perhaps the two of us could go there together over the weekend... Well, if he's not around, I guess there's no harm in telling Beth and the others first.

With that thought in mind I went into the hallway and knocked on the door of apartment 203. No one came to open so I knocked louder before placing my ear on the door.

No sound came from the inside.

Beth and Ash must not be at home. Those two kept going out together unlike...

I sighed.

Unlike Caden and I.

He'd been so busy with the Academy that we only saw each other in the evenings and mornings.

Perhaps I should plan something for us to do on the weekend; just the two of us, without the twins, Keegan and Asher.

The idea of visiting that little church which was a source of inspiration for my boyfriend seemed even more tempting now.

I had barely knocked on 202 when Keegan opened the door.

"Alice?"

"What's with the surprise?"

"I expected Sky; he forgot his keys again. Come on inside," he moved so I could enter. "So what brings you..."

"Kee, where did that thing go?" The male Miller twin inquired, squeezing through the doorway, just as Kee was about to close the door.

"What thing?" His roommate asked puzzled.

"The thing that sucks."

"Is that a code name for a girl you've brought here? Because I could come later," I suggested. I really didn't want to run into any random chicks the boys could've invited over. I still remembered how one such girl confused me for Skyler's girlfriend and sprained her ankle as she ran down the stairs of the Miller's estate to get away from me. Apparently she thought I'd 'smack her a good one for sleeping with my man'.

"No," Sky waved his hand dismissively. "I haven't had a girl in... Oh, my God! I haven't gotten laid in weeks! I've just been making out."

He gasped in horror at the sudden realization.

"Aren't you scared of kissing diseases?" I asked, as perplexed as always by his wanton behavior. The boy should've spent a third of his life in a hospital with all the hooking up he did.

He didn't reply and just kept on shaking his head, amazed at how long it had been since he'd last scored.

Kee cleared his throat.

"You were looking for something?" He reminded our blond friend.

"Oh, yeah," Sky's face brightened up. "I was actually looking for the vroom-vroom thing."

Keegan and I both stared dumbly at him.

"The sucking machine," the twin repeated his previous words, slightly irritated that we still couldn't catch up.

Realization suddenly dawned on Keegan.

"You mean a vacuum cleaner?"

 "That's the one," Sky chirped happily.

"It's in the small room," his roommate pointed to the premises; a similar one was made into a drawing room at our apartment but these two, just like Beth and Ash, used it mostly for storing things.

"Great," the blond grinned, striding that way.

"He's still this hyped up over chores? Even though we've been in Aberville for about six weeks now?" I questioned, listening to Skyler humming a merry tune as he got the vacuum out.

"Well, he's never done any before," Keegan replied, "so he sees them as an adventure. The other day I came back from shopping and I saw him dancing with a broom Mrs. Doubtfire style. He claimed that he was cleaning."

I laughed as the image of Skyler swinging a broom around popped in my head.

"And you just let him do it however he wants?"

"Hey, at least he's doing something useful," Kee shrugged. "So what did you come here for?"

"Oh, that!"

I grinned.

*****

"I got some good news," Caden commented as soon as he opened the door to our apartment.

"And I got some great news," I stated, getting off the couch and skipping his way to great him with a peck.

"So who goes first?"

"Oh, me, me!" I jumped up and down like an overexcited puppy, making him laugh.

"Okay, okay – you go first."

"I got a job!"

He blinked a couple of times in silence before plastering a smile that almost seemed sincere... almost.

"That's... great, Alice," he tried to sound cheerful.

I barely suppressed a groan.

Why was Caden so proud?

Why did guys think they should be the only bacon bringers?

It wouldn't make him less of a man if I paid all the bills until he found a job.

"It's in Marjolaine's shop," I added and this time he smiled for real.

"She offered you a job?" I nodded. "Can't think of a better place for you!"

I knew I had a goofy grin when he snuggled me and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"So what's your news?" I asked, not moving from his embrace.

"Remember the redhead – Galya?" I muttered a yes. "She's coming over this weekend."

*****

A/N: Look at the multimedia section. Now imagine Skyler doing that ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 139 36
𝗔𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿𝘀 ↬ she's your basic, molded into the background, type girl. She does everything she can to stay unseen. The only people she...
2.4K 149 33
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...
241K 2.5K 89
Alisha's life had never been normal. Having adoptive, overprotective brothers, who also happened to be superstars guaranteed that. She dealt with hat...
1.3K 417 50
Some people wait their whole lives to find the perfect friend. But not Isabella Washington. She knew she'd be best friends with Aiden Cunningham the...