The Rising of Merlin

By Teekalin

Merlin has lived for almost 1400 years without intervening with the wizard world. But when the time comes tha... More

The One With the Additional Details
The One That is the Prologue
The One Where Merlin Just Shows Up
The One Where Merlin Lies, a Lot
The One Where Merlin Leaves the Hospital Wing
The One Where They Question Him
The One About the Prophecy
The One Where They Leave Hogwarts
The One Where Ron Opens Up
The One Where Hermione Eavesdrop
The One With the Mind-Talk
The One With the Pranks
The One With the Truth
The One With the OWLs
The One With the Anger Issue
The One With the Secrets
The One With Harry's Theory
The One on the Train
The One With the Welcome Speech
The One With Death
The One With the Time-jumps
The One With the Long Conversation
The One With an Uncertain Surprise
The One With Morgana's Introduction
The One With the Goblin Incident
The One With the Rat
The One With Lancelot's Death Day
The One With the Quidditch Game
The One With the Memories
The One With the Christmas Party
The One Where Merlin has an Headache
The One With the Horcruxes
The One Where They go to Camelot
The One With the Denial
The One With the Awkward Looks
The One With the Funeral
The One With All the Fluff
The One With the Deaths
The One With Morgana's Explanation
The One Where Merlin Wakes Up
The One With Dolma
The One With the Wedding
The One at Grimmauld Place
The One Where Ron Gets Hooked
The One With the Cup
The One With the Friends
The One With Gellert Grindelwald
The One at the Lake
The One With the Hoodie
The One With the Grave
The One at the Hospital
The One With the Broken Wand
The One With the Dragon
The One With the Battle
The One That is the Epilogue

The One With the Vision

1.8K 75 11
By Teekalin

Chapter 43 The One With the Vision...

They're digging out the old tombs underneath the castle. Uther thinks he might find riches down there but all it does is making Arthur grumpy from lack of sleep and he's taking it out on me on the training field.

...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Uther was right. There were riches in one of the tombs. The tomb belongs to Cornelius Sigan and it's filled with gold and artefacts, but it is also booby trapped. One of the workers died and Gaius would too if I hadn't managed to stop the arrow.

There's a crystal on top of Sigan's coffin. Gaius believes it contains his soul and should not be touched under any circumstances.

According to Gaius, Sigan was a powerful Sorcerer and he helped build Camelot before the people turned on him. When he died, he transferred his soul to the crystal so he could possess anyone who touches it and then use them as a way to avenge everyone that had tried to kill him, not caring that that was hundreds of years ago.

Gaius is trying to convince Uther to seal the tomb before that happens.

...

I can't believe I've been over a year in Camelot now, but Arthur still doesn't trust me completely.

I thought he was my friend but he replaced me with Cedric after one mistake. It's not like I was planning on falling asleep while mocking out the stable and they did manage to catch all the horses again, so I don't understand what the problem was. Clotpole.

...

Cedric is on to me and he's using it to play in Arthur's favour. I'm not sure how much more I can take before I do something stupid like start a fight...

...

So it turned out I was right, again. Cedric was a thief and he got possessed by Cornelius Sigan while trying to steal his crystal from the tomb underneath the castle.

But I did manage to trap him inside the crystal again and Arthur practically apologised to me afterwards. It's not like he could deny that I was right about Cedric all along, not when everyone saw him use magic to destroy Camelot.

He's a prat and a clotpole, bit I think I'm starting to change him for the better.

...

They all gathered in the lounge when they got up from the basement. Merlin paced back and forth while the trio sat in the sofa and Morgana leaned against the bar.

The sun shone in from the big windows, highlighting everything. It had only been a few hours since Kreacher had arrived and it was still early in the afternoon.

"How will we be able to get to her from inside the ministry?" Harry was the first to speak up and Merlin stopped his pacing momentarily to look at him, before starting again.

"I don't know yet." Merlin had an intent look on his face while trying to come up with a plan that wouldn't put the others at risk.

"Can you stop with the bloody pacing, Merlin." Morgana called out with a frustrated sigh. "It's not helping."

"I'm sorry." Merlin took a deep breath and sat down in one of the armchairs and placed his head in his hands.

"We could take turns and study the people coming in and out of the ministry and then use Polyjuice potion to take their place." Hermione suggested.

"That's too dangerous." Merlin looked up at her. "The chance that you will be discovered is too big. I need to go in alone."

"But we want to help," Ron piped up. "You don't need to do everything alone, mate."

"I know," Merlin smiled faintly at him. "But this time it's for the best."

"And if we refuse?" Harry said with a scowl. "Dumbledore gave this mission to me; I'm supposed to get the Horcruxes."

"Had it been any other place, I would gladly bring you, but this is the ministry we're talking about." Merlin tried to make him understand; he wouldn't be able to live with himself it something happened to these kids. "You are a wanted man, Harry... All three of you are. If you get caught inside there, I'm not sure I can save you."

"Then what is your plan?" Morgana asked, interrupting Harry's reply. Merlin leaned back in the armchair so he could see all four of them at the same time.

"I will go in alone, disguised." Merlin began but Hermione interrupted him.

"How about the wards?"

"The wards are only designed to detect New Magic; I'm not intending to use that." Merlin smirked. "I will use a spell very similar to a confondus charm, but placed on me. No one will be able to look at me directly, their eyes will subconsciously avert from me, so I will be able to walk right in without anyone noticing."

"How will you find the toad?" Ron raised his eyebrows.

"I will trace her magic. I spent enough time with her last year that I will be able to recognise it." He paused and a faint smile graced his lips. "She has a very distinct magic after all."

"When will you do it?" Harry asked and Merlin could see that he was still a bit put out, but he would soon see that this was the right way to go.

"First I need something to destroy it with." He licked his lips before continuing. "A Horcrux is a dangerous item and it's not something I want lying around the house. It has the power to control people as you discovered with the diary and Ginny."

"How can you destroy a Horcrux?" Hermione asked.

"Have you come upon one before?" Ron asked at the same time.

"There are but a few things that can destroy a Horcrux," Merlin began. "I think you already know about the Basilisk poison." He looked at Hermione who began shifting uneasily.

"Yes," She finally nodded. "I read it in a book I took from Dumbledore's office."

"I'm not reprimanding you, Hermione." Merlin tried to assure her with a smile. "There are other ways to destroy them, like Fiendfyre, but that is an extremely unreliable spell...

"And dragon fire," Aithusa added.

"Yes, Dragon's fire works as well and we have access to it." He nodded to Aithusa who just jumped up on the bar and started to drag her head over Morgana's arm in an attempt to make her pet her. "But that is also something I don't want to use unless necessary because it will require space... If the Horcrux is animate, you can use a killing curse to kill the host, but it won't work on inanimate objects."

"How did Dumbledore do it?" Harry interrupted him.

"Dumbledore used the Basilisk poison embedded in Gryffindor's sword." Merlin answered.

"So that's why he wanted to give the sword to me in his will?" Harry brightened up a little.

"I believe so, but the sword is in Hogwarts now... But I might have a way to get it." He bit his lower lip in thought. "If you give me a week, I think I will be able to get it and can then go to the ministry and retrieve the medallion."

"I thought the ministry had confiscated it." Harry frowned.

"The sword they confiscated is a fake; Dumbledore hid the real one behind a portrait." Merlin explained.

"Did you know Dumbledore planned on giving the sword to Harry?" Hermione asked.

"No," Merlin shook his head. "But I knew he planned something. He never told me he switched the swords but I could sense that the sword he had on the wall at the end of the year wasn't the same one he had at the beginning of the year. He let me take a look at the real one once and I remember the magical signature of it, so when I visited him and the signature had faded significantly, I knew something was up. So I returned later when he was busy and traced the faded signature to a portrait and sure enough, the sword was stashed behind it."

"So it's still in Hogwarts." Harry stated. "How will you get to it?"

"I have someone who can help me." Merlin stated.

"Who?" Hermione asked, she was also frowning.

"I can't tell you, I made a promise." Merlin said without hesitation. He could see Harry thinking intently before answering.

"One week then," Harry nodded. "And if you haven't been able to get the sword by then, we will use Aithusa."

"Deal." Merlin took Harry's arm and shook it. "Now, on to Ron's question." He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I have come upon a Horcrux before, in Camelot."

"Camelot?" Ron exclaimed.

"Yes," He nodded. "You have all read the diary right?" They all nodded. "Do you remember Cornelius Sigan?"

"That was a Horcrux?" Hermione gasped and covered her mouth with her hands.

"It was one of the first ones made." Merlin confirmed. "Instead of just putting a piece of his soul into it, he transferred his entire soul into the crystal when he died. And when someone later touched it, the soul transferred to that person and he was able to posses him or her."

"How did you destroy it?" Harry leaned forward slightly.

"I didn't." Merlin stated matter-of-factly.

"But..." Harry began but Merlin silenced him.

"I recaptured him in the crystal by letting him take control of my body after casting a spell." Merlin frowned a little. "I almost didn't make it." He said silently before shaking his head free of the memories. "I took the crystal to a safe place afterwards and after Gringotts was built, I placed it in my vault where it still is. The spell prevents the soul from escaping again."

"Won't that spell work this time?" Hermione questioned.

"No," Merlin shook his head. "The way to make a Horcrux changed after New Magic became the common practise. It renders the spell ineffective and besides," He grimaced. "We need to destroy Voldemort's Horcruxes completely in order for Harry to be able to kill him."

"So that's the plan then." Morgana said and they all turned their heads towards her. "Merlin will contact someone that will have access to the sword at Hogwarts, which I presume is Snape since he did manage to get in once before..."

"You're working with Snape?" Harry called out and stood up.

"Morgana!" Merlin exclaimed and looked at her with narrowed eyes.

"... And then Merlin will go to the ministry and take the medallion from the toad lady before coming back with it here where Harry will destroy it." Morgana finished, ignoring Harry's and Merlin's outbursts.

"Is it true?" Harry glared at Merlin. "Are you working with Snape?"

"It's not that simple, Harry." Merlin stood up as well and raised his hands in submission. "He's a double spy, he's on our side."

"He killed Dumbledore!" Harry cried out, tears running down his cheeks in anger.

"On Dumbledore's own orders." Merlin explained. He tried to place a hand on Harry's shoulder but he backed away.

"You trust him?" It wasn't really a question and Merlin sighed tiredly before answering.

"I do." He nodded. "I'm not asking you to start liking the man, but I ask you to trust me with this. I would never put your safety in jeopardy."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Harry looked hurt.

"Because I had my own doubts about the man until we talked this summer." Merlin looked pleadingly at him. "He explained everything to me and I believe him... and... and he made me promise not to tell you."

"I need to some time to process this." Harry said and walked out of the room without another word.

"You should have told him earlier." Ron stated and stood up.

"I know." Merlin sighed. "But I promised Severus I wouldn't."

"He will get over it." Hermione said and stood up as well. "It's just hard for him to trust Snape with the way he has treated him over the years."

"How about you two?" He looked between Hermione and Ron.

"I may not trust Snape but I trust you and that's good enough for me." Ron shrugged. "If you believe he's really on our side then he is."

"Same with me." Hermione smiled weakly before looking to where Harry disappeared. "We should probably go and talk to him."

"Yeah," Ron grimaced. "Did you search for the other Horcruxes, by the way?"

"I tried, but it didn't work." He licked his lips. "But when I get a hold of the medallion I will be able to recognise the magic easier and I might be able to find the rest then."

"Sure," Ron nodded, seemingly thinking about something. "See you at dinner, mate." Ron patted Merlin on the back before following Hermione. As soon as they had gone, Merlin rounded on Morgana.

"Why did you have to tell them?" He snarled at her.

"It's for your own good, Merlin." Morgana said calmly, petting Aithusa behind her ears.

"She's right you know." Aithusa said and stared at him, but he ignored her and focused on Morgana.

"How?" He narrowed his eyes.

"You need to stop keeping secrets from them." Morgana sighed and met his eyes. "You and Snape are the same; you're both too scared to open up because you're afraid the people who care about you will turn their backs on you." She walked up to him and placed her hands on his shoulders while looking into his eyes. "It's the opposite, you now." She stood on her tiptoes and gave him a small kiss on the lips. "It's the secret keeping that will drive them away, not the truth." She let go of him and left him alone with his thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------

"You made it." Merlin stood up from his chair in the dingy looking room. He had sent Aithusa after Snape the moment he was alone in the lounge, and the man had agreed to meet with him the same evening in the old building they had met in last time.

"You wanted to ask me something." Snape said in his monotone voice, getting right to the point as usual.

"Do you think you can sneak into Hogwarts again and retrieve the Sword of Gryffindor?" Merlin walked up to the man.

"I thought the ministry had the sword." Snape drawled and quirked an eyebrow.

"They have a sword." Merlin smirked. "The real one is behind the portrait right behind the Headmasters chair. I believe it is Albus's own portrait that holds that place now."

"So you want me to break into Hogwarts, retrieve a valuable sword from the Headmaster's office, and then sneak out again without anyone noticing me? I thought you would ask me to do something difficult." Snape said sarcastically.

"I know it's not an easy task, but you have managed to break in before." Merlin smiled encouragingly.

"That was before the Dark Lord took over the Ministry." Snape pointed out.

"So you don't think you can do it." Merlin sighed and faked a disappointed look.

"I never said that." Snape said quickly and Merlin looked up at him with a big smile.

"I knew you could do it." He patted him on the shoulder.

"When do you want it?" Snape sighed loudly and rolled his eyes, he knew he had been played.

"Preferably by the end of this week." Merlin walked over to a window and looked down at the busy evening traffic.

"What do you need it for?" Snape said with a casual tone and walked over to stand beside him, but Merlin wasn't fooled.

"I can't tell you that." He levelled him with a serious look. "It's crucial that Voldemort doesn't know about this."

"You shouldn't say his name." Now it was Snape's turn to look at him seriously.

"Why?" Merlin frowned.

"He plans on putting a jinx on it." Snape explained. "Every time someone says it, he will know. He hopes to find Harry that way."

"When will it be put into function?" Merlin was glad Snape had told him. Who knows what could have happened if he hadn't.

"Within the nearest days." Snape looked down at the street below. "They have a few problems with the spell, but they are close to fixing it."

"Thank you for telling me." Snape looked up at him and Merlin gave him a big smile. "You should go now."

"I will." Snape nodded once and walked away to the middle of the room.

Merlin bit his lower lip as he watched Snape get ready to apparate away. He had mixed feelings inside his head, whether or not he should tell Snape about Harry. Snape had his back to Merlin and before he could regret it, Merlin exclaimed. "Harry knows!" Snape turned around with an angry look on his face.

"You told him." Snape snarled.

"No," Merlin shook his head. "Morgana did, but it's for the best. We shouldn't keep secrets from the people we love."

Snape didn't say anything; he just turned on the spot with his black coat swirling around him and disappeared with a pop.

Merlin sat down on the chair again and rested his elbows on his knees before burrowing his head in his hands. All this lying and scheming was taking its toll on him and he hoped he would come out of this war the same man, but he wasn't sure.

The house was dark and silent when Merlin came back. It was the middle of the night so it wasn't surprising; Merlin had stayed in the old building for a few hours, collecting his thoughts, before returning.

He walked upstairs and opened the door to his and Morgana's room. He stood in the doorway watching Morgana's sleeping form for a few minutes. It was calming watching her sleep, her face was relaxed a small smile graced her lips.

After changing into his pyjama bottoms, he climbed into bed beside her and slung an arm over her stomach, pulling her closer. He soon fell into a dreamless sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------

It took four days before Snape sent a message to Merlin, saying he had the sword.

Merlin went and picked it up immediately; Snape was still a bit grumpy; and when he came back, Morgana and the trio were waiting for him in the lounge.

Harry had come and talked to him the day before and they had talked things out. Merlin had told him everything he knew about Snape and his double life and even if he still wasn't happy about it, Harry understood why he had decided to trust Snape and they had come to a mutual understanding.

"Is it the real sword?" Harry came up to him and took the sword from Merlin's hand.

"It is." Merlin nodded and went to the bar and poured himself a glass of whiskey. He turned to face them while taking a slow sip. "I will go to the ministry tomorrow morning."

"Have you practised the spell?" Morgana furrowed her brow, concern evident in her eyes.

"I have." Merlin tried to assure her with a smile but he could see it didn't work completely.

"Are you sure about this, mate?" Ron asked, he too looked worried.

"Don't worry about me," Merlin breathed out a small chuckle. "I can take care of myself, and besides... I've broken into worse places during my life." He grinned.

"How long do you think it will take?" Hermione gnawed at her lower lip.

"It shouldn't take too long," He wrinkled his brow as he tried to work out the best ways in and out of the ministry.

"I still wish I could come with you." Harry said quietly and fidgeted with the sword.

"I know." Merlin sighed quietly.

-----------------------------------------------------

Merlin left early the next morning without waking anyone up, and made his way to the ministry by calling for a cab. He jumped out a few blocks away and made the rest of the way by foot.

The chilly morning air was felt nice against his cheeks and he pulled his hands inside his grey hoodie to warm them; the incoming autumn starting to make itself known.

He stopped when he came to a building just beside the ministry entrance, peeking his head around the corner. He waited until the alleyway was empty until first casting the ageing spell and then the delusion charm on himself. "Áblgan mín ansíen!"

Getting through the magical toilets was a piece of cake; his magic was undetectable by these simple wards.

He looked around the large Atrium and the first thing he notices were the statue. It was a witch and a wizard sitting upon a large throne made of muggles and the words MAGIC IS MIGHT was engraved at the base.

Merlin almost felt sick when he looked at it and decided to make something about the monstrosity before he left the ministry.

He stayed by the statue; the charm protecting him from unwanted attention; and closed his eyes. His magic flared out in search of Umbridge. She wasn't difficult to find, her magic having a distinct repellent feeling about it. He opened his eyes again and followed the trail.

He stepped into the lifts and didn't get out until he reached Level One, Minister of Magic and Support Staff. He walked down the corridor and all he met on the way averted their eyes as if it was dangerous to look at him and he smirked and pushed a little more magic into the spell.

Eventually, he reached an open space were dozens of witches and wizards sat at desks, scribbling something on papers.

Ignoring them, he made his way to the door at the back and read the plaque.

Dolores Umbridge

Senior Undersecretary to the Minister

Head of the Muggle-born Registration Commission

Then his eyes got caught to the large eye stuck in the door and Merlin recognised it immediately. It was Alastor Moody's.

Feeling his anger rise inside him, he pushed the door open and walked in. The room was decorated with lace draperies, doilies and dried flowers. The walls were filled with ornamental plates featuring kittens and the desk was cowered in a flouncy, flowered cloth. There was also a poster of Harry on the wall, UNDESIRABLE NO. 1 written over his chest.

Dolores Umbridge sat by her desk, writing something on a paper, but when the door opened she looked up. He blocked the whole opening but the spell made it impossible for her to focus on him, instead she glanced around him, worry starting to line her expression.

"Who's there?" She called out while standing up and Merlin quickly closed the door behind him.

"Your doom!" He said darkly in his raspy old voice and had to hold back from laughing when he saw her scared expression.

"Who said that?" She tried to sound confident and pulled out her wand. "Show yourself."

"Give me the medallion." He demanded and he saw her hand fly up to her chest and he knew she wore it around her neck.

"Why?" She cried out almost hysterical. "Who are you!?" She exclaimed and this time Merlin couldn't hold his laughs back. She whimpered and brought her hands up to her ears, trying to block out his laugh.

"It doesn't belong to you." He said after having gathered himself. He stepped up to her and even if she still couldn't focus her eyes on him, she could feel his body heat and feel his breath when he leaned down to speak into her ear. "Give it to me."

"Just take it." She cried out and pulled out the medallion. She threw it on the floor before crouching down behind her desk.

"Thank you." Merlin smirked and picked up the medallion. The power inside it overwhelmed him and he lost control over his magic as it flared out. The feeling he felt was similar to the one he had experienced with the Malfoy boy, but this time he knew what was happening and he could quickly control himself.

"You," He looked up and saw Umbridge pointing a finger at him. "How dare you, you filthy old man." He realised the deflection spell had worn of but the ageing spell was still intact. "Who are you?" She almost shrieked. "You won't get away with this." Umbridge screamed at him and he pocketed the medallion in his jeans.

"Are you sure about that?" Merlin smirked at her and took a few steps closer. He could tell she was terrified of him but she held her ground and raised her wand at him.

"The Minister is just down the hall." She said in a sweet, sickly voice. "One word from me and you'll be a wanted man."

"I doubt you would have the time to utter one word to him." Merlin smirked and she gulped nervously. "I am Dragoon." He tilted his head. "Dragoon the Great, as you so kindly asked." He took a few more steps forwards, until he had her backed against the wall, and brought a hand up take the wand from her hand.

"I will have your face up on posters all over the country the moment you leave." She shrieked when he had backed away.

"I don't think so." He looked down at his hand while twirling her wand between his fingers. He then gathered up his magic and looked up at her while whispering a spell. "Ofergitolian nebwlite!" His eyes flashed golden and he heard her gasp at the sight. "Good luck putting my face up on a poster like that now." He nodded to the poster of Harry.

"I still know your name." Umbridge snarled. "Dragoon the Great... What kind of name is that anyway?" She said in a mocking voice.

"One that will haunt your dreams forever." He grinned when he saw her furious expression.

"You will regret ever stepping inside this..."

"Áblgan mín ansíen!" Merlin chanted the delusion charm again before Umbridge could finish and walked out of her office, taking Moody's eye with him and throwing her wand in a dustbin in the other room, after having effectively snapped it in half.

He heard Umbridge call for security, but they all ran past him, and he made his way out to the Atrium as easily as he had made his way to her office.

When he reached the statue again he stopped and placed a hand on it. He closed his eyes and directed his magic at it. He smiled when he opened his eyes again and saw the result.

Gone was the hideous throne with the witch and wizard and the tormented muggles underneath, in its stead was a pure white unicorn, standing on its hind legs and golden sparks sprouting out from its horn.

He walked away towards the exit with a big smile on his face which only grew larger when the people around him started to notice the change, and the Atrium filled with questions and furious outcries.

---------------------------------------------------

Harry was waiting for him on the stairs when he came back, holding the sword tightly in his grip. He stood up when he noticed Merlin.

"Did you get it?" His voice was silent but it sounded loud in the empty hall.

"I did." Merlin pulled the medallion from his pocked and handed it to Harry. Then he motioned for him to follow him downstairs.

"Did you...?" Ron started when they passed him by the sofa in the lounge.

"Yes." Merlin said and Ron stood up to follow them.

Merlin opened the hatch and showed them to a room that was designed like a prison. The walls were scribbled with magical spells and wards, making it impossible for anything to escape from there.

"Place the medallion there, Harry." Merlin pointed to a stone altar at the back of the room and Harry walked over and put the medallion down. He could see Ron eyeing it curiously. "When I say go, you stab it with the sword, is that understood?"

"Yes..." Harry said and gripped the sword tighter. Merlin walked up to the altar and placed a hand over it. "Before we do anything, I want to try and use it to trace the other Horcruxes." He explained when he saw their confused glances and closed his eyes.

He stood like that for several minutes and when he opened his eyes again, he could feel the energy getting drained from him and he staggered at bit.

"That was something else." He breathed out a huff and licked his lips.

"Did you find them?" Ron asked.

"Kind of," He shook his head and glanced at Harry with a concerned look. "One of them is here in London, but I can't pinpoint it... And I think one of them is up north somewhere, but it's too far away to tell where... It's blocked by a strong magical force." He rubbed his forehead. "The third one is contained in a living thing that felt like a snake..."

"Nagini." Harry said.

"Yes," He nodded. "She's not far from here, just outside of London. I will try and pinpoint them more, but it will probably take time."

"At least we know more now than we did before." Ron said with a small smile.

"Yeah," Harry nodded and patted him on the back. "You did good." He smiled at him and Merlin returned it hesitantly. He knew where one Horcrux was, but he couldn't tell them. How do you tell someone that they have a bit of another's soul inside of them?

"I will try and open it now." He said and walked up to the altar again. "Be ready with the sword, Harry." Harry nodded and held up the sword. "Ætýnan!" Nothing happened. "Ætýnan!" He tried again but still nothing.

"Maybe you should try another spell." Ron suggested but Merlin shook his head.

"It's not the spell." Merlin said and crouched down to eye the medallion better. "Harry, come over here." He waved him over.

"What?" Harry asked with a frown.

"Doesn't that S look like a snake to you?" He pointed to the S sprawled on top of the medallion.

"Maybe." Harry shrugged.

"Try and command it." Merlin backed away to make room for Harry.

"Command it?" Harry looked very confused.

"You are a Parselmouth, are you not?" Merlin quirked an eyebrow.

"Yes, but..."

"Then it's no problem." Merlin smiled.

"Okay..." Harry sighed and turned towards the medallion. Merlin could see him concentrating before opening his mouth. Out came a loud hiss and the medallion opened with a click. Behind both of the glass windows inside was an eye.

"Stab it Harry!" Merlin yelled and Harry brought the sword up quickly and smashed both of the eyes in two quick strokes.

----------------------------------------------------

When they resurfaced, Morgana and Hermione were waiting for them in the lounge.

"Did you destroy it?" Hermione asked and gnawed at her lower lip in worry.

"We did." Harry smiled and held up the broken medallion.

"I have something to tell you." Merlin interrupted them before they could start celebrating, and they all turned to face him.

"What it is Merlin?" Morgana walked up to him with a worried look in her eyes.

"I found this." He held up a round ball that looked distinctly like an eye and it took Harry a few second to realise exactly what it was.

"It's Moody's eye." Hermione gasped and covered her mouth with her hands.

"Blimey," Ron exclaimed. "Where did you find it?"

"Umbridge was using it as a way to a spy on her workers." Merlin said and gave the eye to Harry. "I took it because he deserved much more than that."

"Thank you." Harry said silently and put it in his pocket. He intended to go out in the garden and bury it later.

"Did she discover you?" Morgana put a hand on his upper arm.

"Yes." He said and then quickly continued when he saw her starting to get riled up. "But I took care of it." He held his hands up before placing them on her shoulders. "Don't worry about it, okay. I was just a bit overwhelmed when I grabbed the medallion and I lost control over the spell, but it's all fine now."

"It better be or I will personally make a visit to her." Morgana narrowed her eyes and Harry finally understood why Morgana had been able to gather her own army back in Camelot; she was one scary lady. He was impressed that Merlin didn't even cringe under her look.

----------------------------------------------------

After holding a small ceremony while burrowing Moody's eyes, the atmosphere in the house turned to a happy one. They had destroyed a Horcrux and thanks to Merlin, they were closer to finding the other three than they had been before.

They celebrated long into the night and they all got a bit drunk and danced and played games until they no longer could stay upright without falling asleep.

Merlin fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow, curled up next to Morgana, who started to dream the moment she fell asleep.

----------------------------------------------

"Merlin, stop it." Morgana giggled as she ran away from Merlin, but he caught up with her and they tumbled down onto the grass.

They lay there, looking into each other's eyes and Morgana felt serene happiness course through her body and she could feel herself smile in her sleep.

But then the dream changed. The green grass disappeared and in its stead was a cold grey concrete and the blue sky was replaced with a starry night.

She stood at the end of an alley, looking out over an empty street. She recognised the street, it was the same one she saw every time she looked out of the window in her bedroom, but this was further down.

She turned around to look into the alley and saw two men arguing. Their faces were blurred but she recognised them somehow. She took a few steps closer until she could hear what they said.

"Can't you see what you're doing?" One of the men exclaimed and raised his arms in frustration. She could see that he was very muscular and had blond hair. He wore muggle clothes; fitted jeans, sneakers, a white T-shirt and an orange hoodie that was open at the front and rolled up in the sleeves; but his face was still blurred. "You're killing yourself, don't you realise that?"

"What do I have left to live for?" The other man said in a tired voice and took a few steps backwards until his back hit the wall and he glided down to the ground.

He had raven black hair that was extremely familiar to her but she couldn't remember why. Unlike the other man, this one was skinny, too skinny; no muscles evident under his clothes; and his clothes were worn. He wore baggy jeans that were torn by the knees and his sneakers were dirty to the point it was impossible to tell what colour they were. He had a red T-shirt on, above a black long sleeved shirt, and it was stained with unidentifiable things.

"Why would you say that?" The blond man said with a concerned and sad voice and crouched down in front of the raven haired man. "There are still people that need you. Your students need you."

"No," The raven haired man shook his head. "The war is over, I completed my destiny and Jon and Hermione can take over my position at Hogwarts... but she is still gone." He reached into his jeans pocket and pulled out something that looked like a syringe. "And I'm so tired, I just want to sleep." He said pleadingly and rolled up his sleeve.

"No!" The blond man said with renewed intensity and took the syringe from the raven haired man. "You don't get to do this to me." He stood up and dropped the syringe on the ground before stomping on it until it broke.

"Arthur, please." The raven haired man said and Morgana could hear he was crying, but it was the name he said that shook her to the core. She took a closer look at the blond man and this time the blurriness disappeared and she could make out his face. She never thought she would see her dear brother again.

"No, Merlin." Arthur said and Morgana just had time to look at the raven haired man that she now could clearly see was her Merlin; his cheeks hollowed and his eyes empty with dark circled underneath; before she was pulled away and she woke with a gasp in her own bed, Merlin's arms wrapped tightly around her.

As she woke up, the details of the dream faded until she no longer could remember anything from it except that something terrible would happen when she left. She turned her head towards Merlin and stroked a finger across his cheekbone before closing her eyes again and falling back to sleep.

-----------------------------------

A/N

Áblgan mín ansíen = Deflect my face/form/figure/presence/view/aspect/sight/thing/seen/surface

Ofergitolian nebwlite! = Forget the form of the face.

Ætýnan = To open

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144 18 7
When Albion's need is greatest. That was the deal. Until something went wrong. Arthur Pendragon died in the battle of Camlann. Only to awake in t...
80.4K 3K 21
Freya lives the attack, only just. But when she dies giving birth, Merlin's Son is born just before the Tears of Uther Pendragon, what will Merlin do...
709 17 8
Agliophobia ~ the fear of being hurt. Years have passed since Merlin and Arthur first met. And the two were closer than ever. Merlin finally told Ar...
12K 336 35
"It takes a village to raise a child." And when the village turns its back on said child, the child will raze it. Morgana Pendragon, Camelot's belo...