Regrets and Mistakes

By murphyyy_xo

Secrets are meant to be kept secret, but some manage to surface. Unfortunately this has happened to Christen... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - one
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Four
THE SEQUEL

Ten

5.9K 103 6
By murphyyy_xo

Rachel's POV
I don't remember much from before I fell asleep. I don't even know how I got into my room. I could feel a weight against me but I didn't want to move just in case. I turned my head a little to see Alyssa sound asleep next to me with her arm around my abdomen hugging me close. I couldn't help but smile and snuggle closer into her.

"Good evening."
"Evening Lys."

She scooted closer into me and kissed my forehead. I heard laughter coming from outside and down the hall. I didn't want to move from where I was. I was comfy and I'm pretty sure Lys was too.

"Do we have to go out and be social?"
"I guess not. We can go back to sleep and if they need anything, they'll wake us up."

I hummed in response. Lys tightened her grip around me and we both fell asleep straight away only to be jumped on by Kelley a few minutes later. I screamed out in pain because she landed on my ankle.

"Oh my god. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."
"It's fine Kel."

Lys chuckled and kicked Kel off the bed. I swung my legs off the side of the bed and looked around for my crutches. Lys got up and walked out of the room, apologising to Kelley in the process. Kelley came over and sat next to me and rubbed her head.

"Sorry, I forgot about your ankle."
"Don't worry about it Kel. It doesn't hurt anymore."
"Do you need help?"
"Will you get Ashlyn for me please?"
"I'll be back."

She practically sprinted out of my room. I chuckled and flopped back onto my bed. There was a knock on the door and I turned my head to see Ash.

"You summoned me?"
"Yes. I need a bit of help."
"Hop on."

She knelt down in front of my bed. I chucked and crawled over to her and got onto her back. She carried me out of my room and down the hall to the kitchen and dining room. We walked in and I saw everyone sitting outside on the deck chairs. Ash carried me over to a free one next to mom and saw my crutches there. Mom chuckled at me when I landed on the chair with a thud.

"Enjoy your sleep?"
"I was until your idiotic teammate came in and jumped on us."
"I told you I was sorry."
"I know Kel. I was only messing."

The doorbell rang and Zach stood up and walked back inside. Hope handed me a plate of food and I thanked her. They all continued talking with one another. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out to see it was twitter notifications. I stared at the black screen for a while having an inner debate with myself. I stood up and set my plate on the chair.

"Where are you going?"
"To freshen up. I feel like crap."
"Do you need help getting to your room?"
"No I'm fine. Thanks though."

I limped inside and saw Zach was still standing by the door talking to a man I didn't recognise. Zach smiled when he saw me and winked at me. I limped down to my room and sat on my bed. I unlocked my phone and clicked on her number and pressed call. I waited for a few seconds but she answered on the fifth ring.

Alex; Hello?
Me; Uh, hi.
Alex; Hey Rach, uh, what's up?
Me; I wanted to thank you for the jersey. I love it so thank you.
Alex; I'm glad. Listen Rach, I'm sorry I cou-
Me; I know. I better go. We're having a barbecue with all the girls.
Alex; Okay, call me tomorrow after your mom's game.
Me; I will. Talk to you tomorrow.
Alex; I love you Rach.

I frowned and couldn't forge a sentence. I hung up and limped over to my desk and plugged my phone in to charge. I faced the window and looked out at the sky. The sun was setting giving the sky a nice pinky and orangey colour. They were all still talking and laughing outside and I could hear a few of them in the kitchen.

"Knock knock."

I turned my chair around and saw Hope standing at the door. I smiled at her and she walked further in.

"What can I do for you?"
"I must go to the airport to collect Haley and Jess if you'd like to come?"
"Why are they coming in so late?"
"Haley was visiting children in the hospital and Jess flew back from Wales."
"Ah that's nice of Haley. I'll go."
"Great, let's go."

I stood up and limped over to Hope. She smiled and led me down the hall. Mom was waiting at the kitchen door with my crutches. I smiled and kissed her cheek before taking my crutches and following Hope out to the car. The drive was silent except for the radio playing softly.

"Orlando Pride have just announced the return of the one and only Alex Morgan. Morgan has been away for half the season because she was in Lyon on loan. She won the Champions League with Lyon and played against our own Carli Lloyd in the semifinals in Manchester and in Lyon."
"It'll be great for the Pride to have Morgan back. Especially now alongside the GOAT herself, Marta. They're going to be such a threat for every other team."
"That's right. She's coming back early because of a hamstring injury she acquired during the final. Such a shame for her. She decided to come back now instead of waiting for her contract to end."
"I don't think that's the only reason. There have been speculations going around that Morgan and her national teammate Christen Press have a child. If that's the case I bet that Morgan just wants to see her kid again. I know I would after a long time away. She's due to arrive tonight 8 E.T. to Orlando. We'll have more news after the break."

Hope turned off the radio and sighed. I looked out the window and watched as the city come to life as we zoomed by. I could feel Hope looking at me every so often but I ignored it and continued looking out the window. We pulled into a car space ten minutes later and Hope turned off the engine.

"What time do their plane land?"
"Ten minutes. Let's go wait for them at their gate."

I nodded and unbuckled my seatbelt. I opened my door and grabbed my crutches and hoped out. I closed the door and used my crutches to support me and crutched over to Hope. Hope put on sunglasses and a cap and I frowned. I know she doesn't want to get bombarded but it would be nice to go out with her if she didn't have to put on a disguise. I kept my head down but I knew she knew what I was thinking but didn't say anything.

Hope led me towards their gate and we leaned against the railing. I looked around at all the signs. I noticed hundreds of people with their USA jerseys and flags and some with signs quickly surround us. I turned around to see security guards quickly pile in. Hope wrapped her arm around me but I pulled away. I crutched away from her and towards an empty area. I caught my breath and then crutched out of the airport completely. I crutched to the car and sat on the hood waiting for her to come out. Hope lied to me. She made her way towards me and her disguise was off.

"Rachel? What was that about?"
"You lied to me."
"I know but I'm sorry. It was the only I could get you to come with me."
"Did you lie to mom too?"

She looked down at her hands and I sighed. We didn't park far from the entrance, only 20 meters, so I could her all the screaming coming from inside. Hope's phone started ringing and she answered it and walked away. I groaned and fell back against the windshield.

A few minutes later Hope came back with her. They were surrounded by security guards and paparazzi. I immediately got down from the car and snuck around the the other side away from them. The car unlocked and I climbed into the back seat. Thank god these windows are black out. The boot opened and the shouting and screams got louder. She got into the front seat and Hope got into the driver's seat.

"SHIT! Rachel."
"I'm here."
"How?"
"Climbed in when you unlocked the car."
"You've got to stop hanging out with Kling. I didn't even notice you."

I looked away from her and out the window. Hope started the car and drove away from the paparazzi. Hope and Alex spoke for the whole drive until Hope stopped at a gas station.

"Do you want anything Rach?"
"No thank you."
"Alright. I'll be back."

She got out of the car and walked into the shop. I took out my phone and began to play games. Alex opened her door and got out and I frowned. I couldn't see where she was going but the door opposite to me opened and she got in. I looked at her and then back at my phone to play games.

"You're still mad?"
"I was never mad."
"Then what's wrong?"
"Just drop it. I don't want to talk about it now."
"When will we? Every time I try to talk to you you shut me out."
"Can't you see I don't want to talk? Can't you see that I'm hurting? You left Alex. You didn't even tell me you were leaving until ten minutes before you actually left. I'm not mad. I'm hurt. I feel betrayed. You didn't even call to see how my first day at school was or how my ankle was doing or how I was doing. You don't care Mum. You never did."

I looked away from her and moved closer to the door as humanly possible just to get away from her. She was about to say something but Hope got into the car and we took off home again. Once we pulled up into the driveway I got out of the car immediately and crutched straight to my room and slamming the door in the process. I jumped onto my bed and got in under the covers and cried silently.

Christen's POV
We all jumped at the loud bang of a door closing. Jules, Kel, Alyssa and I stood up and walked inside. Carli and Tobin were already by the front door speaking with Hope and Alex.

"What the hell happened here?"
"We don't know. One second we were in the car and the next her bedroom door slammed shut."
"Who's? Rachel's?"
"Yeah Chris. Look, I'll go talk to her."
"You'll do no such thing. You don't get to waltz back in here after leaving for months and pretend like nothing is wrong."

Tobin stood in front of me and held my wrist.

"Calm down Chris. She just suggested it."
"She's my kid."
"She's my kid too."
"You weren't there for her Alex."
"Neither were you for sixteen years of her life Christen. You aren't miss perfect either."
"Alex!"
"I am her mother. I haven't been much of one but I promised the second I found her that I would be a better one and I have. That kid means more than life itself. When you make the decision to have a child you're also making the decision to take responsibility for that child. You don't abandon you obligation as a parent because you have "other plans". You of all people should understand that Alex. She was afraid that left her. She blocked us all out because of it. You have a decision to make. You can either stay here and make it up to her or else you can leave and cut off all contact with her. You have an hour Alex and I mean it. One wrong mistake and you're out. For good."

I walked away from them and towards Rachel's room. I tried opening it but it was locked. I knocked on the door.

"Rach, open up. It's just me."
"I don't want to talk."
"I know you don't but please let me in."

I got no reply. I sighed and leaned against the door and slid down to the ground. I leaned my head against the door and I could hear movement from inside. I heard her lean against the door and slide down against it as well.

"I'm scared mom."
"I know you are sweetie but I promise we'll get through this together."
"If I let her in and she leaves again I don't know how I'll cope."

I looked down the hall and saw Alex making her way towards me. She slid down next to me and took my hand in hers. I smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

"Then I promise I won't leave you again. I'd much rather stay around with you not talking to me then have no contact with you at all. It's a chance I'm willing to take. I love you Rach and I'm so sorry. If you'll let me, I'd like to make it up to you. Starting the second you open this door."

I looked at Alex and she smiled softly at me.

"Hey, at least you tried. So thank you. It'll take time but if you're up to it I'd like for you to stay with us for a while to work things out."
"I'd love to. Thank you Chris, for giving me a chance."
"A girl needs her mother's."

Rachel's POV
I crawled away from the door. I grabbed my phone from off the desk and leaned my back against it as I opened it. I went into Julie's contact and pressed and the message.

To Jules;
I need to talk to you, alone. Meet me on the roof in ten?

From Jules;
Of course. Want me to bring snacks?

To Jules;
Steal the kisses.

I closed my phone and put it in my pocket. I opened the double doors and climbed up the ladder to the roof. There's two ways to get up here. The one I just took, which isn't as safe, or through the attic, which is safer. You can see the city of Chicago from the view. It's amazing at this hour because of the sun setting.

I hear grunting behind me and I turn my head to see Julie and Alyssa climbing up. They sit on either side of me and let out a sigh. Julie set the Hersey kisses on my let and kissed my temple.

"So, you snuck out didn't you?"
"How did you know?"
"Your mother's are sitting outside your bedroom door."
"Is everything okay?"
"Am I making a mistake? Letting her back in. Alex I mean. It's just, I don't know."
"You see Rach, life is one big game of trial and error. Not every relationship is going to work out. It's the way of life. Sometimes you just got to learn the lesson and move on. Alex is a good person but messes up a lot but that's just part of who she is but if you give her a chance she'll do everything in her might to protect you from everything and anything. I guarantee you. She loves you. She really does. And I know you love her too."
"Wise Naeher out tonight."

She chuckled and shoved my shoulder lightly. We sat in silence for a while just looking out at the city and enjoying each other's presence. Alyssa took the Hersey kisses and I smiled. I heard deep breaths coming from behind us and I turned to see Zach.

"Your mother is looking everywhere for you."
"How did you know I'd be up here?"
"Jules left her phone downstairs."

Julie glared at him and Alyssa and I chuckled. They all climbed down and Alyssa stopped before going down.

"Are you coming?"
"I'll be down in a few. Just need another few minutes."
"Alright. Shout if you need help."

She climbed down and I was left alone to my thoughts. I looked up at the sky and closed my eyes. I thought about Caleb and dad and how they were doing. I thought about uncle T and aunt M. I thought about uncle Jas and how he's no longer in war. I thought about my permanent family. I thought about how if I let her in will she stay? It's a chance I'm willing to take.

I climbed down the ladder and back into my room. The door was still closed but I could hear the chatter coming from around the house. I limped to my closet and grabbed my USWNT jersey with Morgan-Press on the back, my Red Stars jersey with Press on the back and my new Pride jersey with Morgan on the back. I set them on the bed and went to the wall of pictures. I grabbed a few with all the girls and I smiling together or making faces. I looked around my wall for one specific one that I loved. It was one of Zach and I. We were on the beach by the water. He had just picked me up and Julie captured the moment he kissed my cheek and I was smiling. It was by far my favourite photo and it was in black and white.

I brought them over to the jerseys and spread them around.. I took a picture of it and went to twitter. I now have over 700,000 followers and there's still speculations about them being my parents. What a better way to show her that I forgive her than announcing I'm her daughter on social media. I hopped onto my bed and began to write my not for it.

Hi, my name is Rachel. As many of you have already guessed, I am the daughter of Christen Press and Alex Morgan. What you don't know is that Christen is my biological mother and Alex is my adoptive mom.

I had a rough life before I met my mothers. I was given up at birth for adoption. I'm not mad at my mom for doing that to me. If anything I'm glad she did because I wouldn't be the person I am today so please don't be mad at her.

My mother is the kindest, most loving and caring person I've ever met despite her childlessness. We both have our rough days and not talk to each other but that's where my 'aunts' and Zach all come into the equation. They've made my life so much better and I'm forever grateful for them. More than they could possibly know.

Zach, you deserve your own paragraph. I can't begin to thank you for everything you'd done for me. You're the father I've never had. I know you'll protect me from getting my heart broken by the wrong guys. You'll make a great father to your own kids one day but just remember I'll always be your favourite. I love you Ertz.

Mom, ladies and Zach, this one's for you. You mean so much to me. Thank you.

I tagged all the girls and Zach in the post. I pressed send and smiled. I got off my bed and walked out of my room. I heard all their phones ding and I walked into the kitchen. They were all looking at their phones and smiling. Zach was the first finished and walked over to me and hugged me close.

"I love you kid."
"I love you too."

He pulled away but kept her arm around my shoulder. I looked the rest and saw they were all crying. I limped over to mom and hugged her.

"I'm so proud of you Rach."
"Thanks mom."

She kissed my forehead and squeezed my hand. I hugged the rest of them and wiped most of their tears. Hope and Alex were left. I limped to Hope and hugged her.

"Thank you."
"For what?"
"For being there when I need you most. Please don't ever leave me."
"That's a promise I never plan on breaking."

She pulled away and went to talk to the girls. I limped over to Alex and stood in front of her. We looked at each other for a while before I felt arms wrap around me. They were strong arms. I relaxed into them and I knew by their chuckle that it was Carli.

"I want to have a word with both of you, in private."

Alex and I followed Carli out back but I was held back by mom. She gave me her look and I frowned. I limped over to my crutches and limped back over to her.

"There is only two weeks left Rach and then you'll be off them. Until then please use them."
"Okay."
"Promise?"
"I promise mom."

I kissed her cheek and crutched out the back door. I looked around and saw the two at the end of the garden sitting on the bench. I crutched down to them and sat in beside Carli and Alex was on the other side of her. I looked down at my hands and Alex spoke first.

"You wanted to speak with us?"
"Yes. Listen, the two of you are like daughters to me. So I feel as though I should be start acting like a mother figure to both of you. So, what's happening?"

I didn't lift my eyes off my hands because I could the both of them looking at me.

"The minute I wake up tomorrow my life is going to be different. I'm scared to see if it's gonna be a good difference or a bad difference and I don't want to find out."
"Why not?"
"Because I'm afraid."
"Of what?"
"Not what, who."

I looked up at them and they were frowning. I grabbed my crutches and stood up. I crutched a step but Carli grabbed my arm.

"Afraid of who?"
"Of me."

I looked at Alex. She was looking at her hands. Carli looked between the both of us and let go of my arm and stood up. Alex looked up at her. I turned my head to face the house and saw Mom, Hope and Becky looking out at us. Becky?

"Becky."

I felt my eyes tear up as I looked at them. Becky smiled and waved. I turned back to Carli and saw her looking at the house too. She looked at me and smiled softly.

"You can go."

I smiled at her and turned back to the house. I crutched as fast as I could inside and dropped my crutches as soon as I got in. I ran straight to Becky and jumped on her. I wrapped my legs around her waist and my arms around her neck. She stumbled a bit but kept standing. She wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me back. I buried my face in her neck and started crying.

"Shh, I'm here now. I've got you."

I felt her walking and then I was in my room, in her lap, as she sat on the bed, holding me close.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 704 28
"The real game begins here." Yang y/n was living with her mom after her father's death. Until one day, her mother decided to marry a guy she fell in...
16.8K 539 17
*CREDIT TO Itswoof* To anyone else, Jordan MarceƱez-Costello has the perfect life- a World Cup Winner, a good relationship with her family and the l...
21.5K 585 28
My name is Hayley Gray. I'm 21years old. I play soccer and I also do barrel racing and bull riding. I've been playing soccer since I was 6 years old...
29.2K 515 22
One girl and 12 brothers. How does she keep the secret of being raped? Not only that but the rapist was her boyfriend and her brother best friend. Wi...