Little Shy Ariel (ft. Harry S...

By BelWatson

I was named after the little mermaid, thought to be strong and brave. A name worthy of a princess, my mum use... More

Before Reading!
Prologue - The Fairy-tale
Chapter 1 - Summer Season
Chapter 2 - Shortcomings
Chapter 3 - Mystery
Chapter 4 - Clumsy
Chapter 5 - Try
Chapter 6 - The Note
Chapter 7 - Failure
Chapter 8 - A Love Story
Chapter 9 - Praises
Chapter 10 - Disappointment
Chapter 11 - Talents
Chapter 12 - Decision
Chapter 13 - Homework
Chapter 14 - Total Success
Chapter 15 - Excitement
Chapter 16 - Contract
Chapter 17 - By The Dock
Chapter 18 - Friendship
Chapter 19 - Older Brother
Chapter 20 - Safe Haven
Chapter 21 - Language
Chapter 22 - Mare's Song
Chapter 23 - Ella
Chapter 25 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 26 - Celebration
Chapter 27 - Moth Guy
Chapter 28 - Lake Girl
Chapter 29 - Surprise
Chapter 30 - Summer Ball
Chapter 31 - Birthday Presents
Chapter 32 - Betrayal
Chapter 33 - Record Deal
Chapter 34 - Grownup
Chapter 35 - Comfort
Chapter 36 - Misunderstanding
Chapter 37 - Villain
Chapter 38 - Goodbye Lake
Epilogue - Happy Endings
Author's Note

Chapter 24 - Respect

211K 7.8K 1.1K
By BelWatson

Chapter 24 - Respect

“And why are you here?” I ask Ella once we’re sitting on a fence near the stables. She told me she used to come here to have lunch with her best friends, Charlie and Olivia who also left when Ella did.

Ella has also told me she left last year when summered ended, once her contract expired and back then she had thought she was never coming back.

“Oh, that’s because I came back before to face Rhonda, you know? To cut all the ties and tell her she couldn’t control me anymore. I also told her that I would come back from time to time to check on her, make sure she’s treating this place right and the people who work here. I came to check on her and I was surprised to see that she’s being nicer to the employees. I was also surprised to see she got a hold on the lake.” Ella looks at me, the question clear in her eyes.

“We were having money problems,” I say before she can ask the question out loud. We had to do it. Dad is still the owner, we just… we just provide a service.”

“Well, that’s not… terrible,” Ella says. “But still, be careful with Rhonda. She’s too clever.”

“She’s been really nice to my father and I,” I tell her which clearly surprises her, but then she smiles, glad with the news. I hope.

“And you like the centre?” Ella inquires. “Is Rhonda really doing a good job?”

“Yes,” I reply in all honesty. I mean I… I don’t really talk to everyone but I see them and… they look content. And the guests are really happy. I mean, Harry has told me how much he likes this place.”

“I see that boy made a new friend, uh?” I remember how Harry said Ella was his friend and he liked they way she treated him so normally.

“I guess,” I say feeling my cheeks heating a bit at the mention of his name. “He misses you. He’s told me that.”

“I’ve missed that idiot, too,” she laughs. “Did you know he has a moth tattoo?” Ella says bursting out laughing but I only open my mouth in surprise. “It’s huge and in the middle of his torso. Seriously, that boy is crazy.”

I laugh too because Ella’s laughter is just so contagious. She’s so easy-going and welcoming. I mean, at the beginning I talked too much because I was too excited and I wasn’t even thinking. I was only thinking of Niall. But once that excitement went away we still talked. I could still answer her questions and asked a few myself. She doesn’t make me feel nervous and she’s really nice.

“He’s a good guy, though,” Ella adds once her laughter has faded. “A good friend.”

“He is,” I agree, looking down at my lap and putting one lock of hair behind my ear, thinking of Harry. My heart races immediately when his image comes to my mind and I feel that tingly sensation in my guts, what I assume are butterflies.

Ella doesn’t say anything else but I know she’s watching me, I can feel her eyes on me and I feel nervous. Can she tell what I’m thinking? What I’m feeling? Is it obvious?

I see her hand on my thigh, a soft touch yet comforting and I know, I know in that moment that she’s figured it out, that she’s aware of my feelings for Harry. I just fancy him but I wonder if she sees herself in me right now, a younger Ella, an Ella that was starting to fall in love with Niall. How do I look to her right now?

“It’s gonna be all right,” she whispers and I nod because when she says that, the heartbreak comes again.

I don’t say I’m in love with Harry but if one day I fall in love, I would like it to be with Harry. And I’d love if he falls for me, too. Like Niall fell for Ella and she fell for him. I’d like that.

“You know what? I wish you would’ve been here last summer,” Ella tells me and my head snaps in her direction, my eyes meeting hers. “It would’ve been so nice to have more time to get to know you. I’m just passing by, I’m not even staying over today.”

I… I never thought someone would want me to be around, that someone would want to have got a chance to know me better.

“Me… me too,” I reply with a hesitant smile, still surprised by her confession

We smile at each other and stay there for a bit longer until Ella realises she has to go, Charlie is waiting for her. She even laughs that she forgot about her friend. She asks me if I want to meet him but I decline at first, yet she insists.

“He’s really nice and you’ll like him!” she tries once again.

“I-I-I’m… it’s hard… new people… I” I ramble again, feeling all anxious one more time.

“He’s really nice, I swear! Come on,” she begs and I take a deep breath.

Mare says to talk to someone I’ve never seen before or known of. Ella… well, I had heard of her and I met her when I was a kid so she doesn’t exactly fit the profile Mare gave me. But Charlie… well, I haven’t even heard oh him before.

“O-okay,” I give in and Ella is so happy about it.

I follow her to where an old truck is parked, a guy inside resting calmly with his hands in the back of his head, lying back.

“Charlie!” Ella calls and he snaps back to reality, only then he opens the door and gets out of the truck, walking up to us. I stay a bit behind, scared and too nervous to move.

“Ella! Where did you get? I was about to go looking for you.”

“You were sleeping”, Ella accuses him folding her arms and Charlie laughs, confessing he was indeed asleep. “Anyways, I met Ariel,” she turns around and only then she notices I stayed behind so she runs to grab my wrist. “Come,” she tells me softly and I gulp but let her lead me to Charlie. “Charlie, this is Ariel. She lives by the lake,” she tells him and he opens his eyes in recognition.

“Hi there, Ariel. Nice to meet you. Ella says that place is amazing, you’re lucky to live there,” he says with a kind smile, his brown eyes inviting me to trust him.

“Hi,” I say. I can’t utter anything anymore and he looks worried, he even looks at Ella as if she has the answer, but Ella only shrugs. “It’s… it’s nice to meet you,” I manage to say with difficulty but he smiles encouragingly and offers his hand, which I shake shortly.

“So… you work here now?” I nod, hugging myself. “How did that happen?” he asks and I see the exchange between Charlie and Ella.

“It’s okay, Charlie,” Ella tells him. “Rhonda didn’t buy the lake, she’s just… renting it.”

“Oh,” Charlie says. “Good, that place is too great to sell it.”

“I-I know,” I say and that’s all I can think of. Talking to Charlie is not as easy as talking to Ella, but I’m doing it. “Dad… Dad would never sell it,” I add, struggling to make the words come out but trying.

“Clever man,” Ella and Charlie say at the same time, smiling at each other. “Anyways, we gotta get going,” Charlie reminds Ella and she nods. “It was great meeting you, Ariel.”

“Likewise,” is my answer.

“Goodbye, Ariel. It was great meeting you. Please, take care of this place and the horses,” Ella says stepping in to give me a hug. “And please, take care of Niall while he’s still here.”

I hug her back when she says that last part.

“Will do,” I whisper in her ear.

She pulls back and gives me one last smile before she and Charlie get in the truck and drive away and stay there watching until they disappear in the horizon. I didn’t think I would see Ella here. I had assumed she would never come back, like Harry and Niall thought. I wonder what would’ve happened if Niall had walked in instead of me. What would have they done? What would Niall say if he knew Ella was here and he didn’t get to see her? Would he get sad? Happy? Should I tell him?

“Hey there,” I hear someone saying and I scream, jumping five feet in the sky.

I turn around and I find Harry laughing at me. My heart is in my throat and I have to fight to catch my breath. He really scared me.

“Harry,” I whine but he keeps laughing. “Don’t scare me like that. I was deep in my thoughts,” I scold him but he keeps laughing.

“I never heard you being so loud,” he laughs. “Sorry, though.”

“It’s okay,” I tell him once my heartbeat slows down a bit. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, I saw your truck so I thought you were here and… yeah, that,” he replies with his usual kind smile, all laughter gone. “Why were you so deep in your thoughts?”

“Oh I was… I was thinking, nothing important,” I reply, not sure if I should tell him about Ella. Maybe he’d tell Niall but I’m beginning to think it wouldn’t be good.

Ella said it would ruin all what they’ve done so far, didn’t she? He’s tried to move on. Harry regrets he forced Niall to come here because he now knows it hurt his friend. If I tell Niall that Ella was here I’m sure it’ll bring all the pain back. He would look like Ella looked when I told her Niall was here. I saw the sorrow in her eyes and Niall has had enough. It wouldn’t make any difference, right? If Ella didn’t want to see Niall now I need to respect that. Her decision is to stay away and not tell Niall she was around. If I tell Harry he will tell Niall because, after all, that’s why they really came here.

“Are you busy now?” he asks me next and I shrug.

“I was going to go back to the lake. Why?”

“Uh… I have nothing to do so… well, maybe I could keep you company, if you don’t mind, of course.”

I smile at him, loving the idea. “I don’t mind at all,” is my answer.

“Great!” he chirps so happily. “By the way, your birthday is getting closer! Any idea of what you want to do?”

We start walking in the direction I left the truck, by the kitchen entrance. There’s something reassuring in walking next to Harry although my heart is always racing and I feel the butterflies fluttering in my belly.

“Uh… I dunno, I haven’t thought about that,” I confess. I’ve been so centred in working with Mare that I haven’t given my birthday a second thought.

“Well, if you don’t have any request I’ll have to organise it all. I’m thinking of a big party with hundreds of guest and you can make a huge entrance in an elephant. All the eyes will be on you and then—”

“NO!” I exclaim, horrified at the mere idea and Harry laughs again.

“You don’t want an elephant? Well, I guess I can get a white horse if you want,” Harry carries on but I even stop walking, my eyes wide in horror.

“Please, no. I— I could never—”

Harry burst out laughing and I’m just more confused. “I’m joking, Ariel. I know you wouldn’t feel comfortable.” His smile is reassuring and I can breathe again. “Something quiet and simple, yet special. Like you,” he says and the butterflies go crazy in my belly at his words.

“Th-thank you,” I say, blushing furiously and avoiding his eyes as I put a lock of hair behind my ear.

“It’s the true,” he continues and I can’t dare to meet his eyes, but I know he’s watching me. “Well, let’s go. And don’t worry, I’ll make sure your birthday will be a good one. It’s eighteen, after all. Come on, let’s go, your truck is there.”

I don’t say anything else, I resume my walking with him next to me trying not to overthink what he said, but failing. I can’t stop thinking of his words.

Oh boy.

-:-:-

Well, with almost 4K votes how wasn't I going to give you an early update?

Dedication to @That_Crazy_Kid. I love how you described Ariel and Ella.

Bell, xx

NU: Friday (3.5K votes for early update)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 4.8K 34
I'll tell you a tale of the bottomless sea, and it's hay to the starboard, heave-ho. Lookout lass, a merman be waiting for you. In mysterious fathoms...
3.8K 69 19
(Book #1 in TRUE PRINCESS TRILOGY) (COMPLETED) What happens when your reality suddenly becomes fantasy? When five ordinary human girls--who happen to...
737 80 20
So you think you know the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears? You think you know the story of Beauty and the Beast and how Belle came to love he...
633K 54.5K 60
As someone who's been so pampered to the point of oblivion, I never noticed the similarities with the fairy-tale. Every little girl should see her...