Inferno

By Caruscus

At the Choosing Ceremony four years ago Tobias Eaton left more than an abusive father behind; he also left hi... More

Book Trailer!
Chapter 1: New Beginnings
Chapter 2: Old Faces
Chapter 3: Not What I Was Expecting
Chapter 4: Easier Said Than Done
Chapter 5: I'm Going To Make It
Chapter 6: I Can't Believe I Did That
Chapter 7: I Owe You
Chapter 8: Not What You Think
Chapter 9: Thank You
Chapter 10: Wishing Things Were as Before
Chapter 11: Regrets (Part 1)
Chapter 12: Regrets (Part 2)
Chapter 13: Worst Fears Come True
Chapter 14: Family You Hate, Family You Love
Chapter 15: Finding Out the Truth
16: Facing Your Demons
Chapter 17: I'm Okay
Chapter 18: Learning to Trust
Chapter 19: Moment of Truth
Chapter 20: You're A Lunatic
Chapter 21: How Could You Not Know
Chapter 22: The Beginning
Chapter 23: In His Arms
Chapter 24: What Is Happening?
Chapter 25: Goodbyes
Chapter 26: Taking Control
Chapter 27: Change
Chapter 28: Revelations
Chapter 29: Meetings
Chapter 30: Back to the Start
Chapter 31: Home
Chapter 32: A Spark
Chapter 33: A Flame
Chapter 34: A Fire
Chapter 35: An Inferno
Chapter 36: Salutem
Author's Note/Watty's!
SEQUEL

Chapter 37: The Ashes After the Fire

18.1K 332 236
By Caruscus

I feel like crying, guys. This is it. This is the end of this book.

I'll post an author's note here soon, maybe today or tomorrow on what my plans for the future will be.

I would like to thank each and every one of you for being with me on this crazy journey. I've been working on this book for three years (not consistently might I add) and it's finally over. Thank you for the comments and the votes (53k reads and 2k votes!! Insane!) and for helping me with something when I needed it.

This chapter is super long because I had so much I wanted to get out. I hope you enjoy.

Lots of love,

~Caruscus

------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks and Mary finally discharges me from the infirmary. I'm going to have the cast on for another two weeks, and my ribs won't heal for at least three, but everything else is good enough for me to move out of the hospital wing. I don't complain at the restrictions she gives me, simply happy that I can get out and move.

Since I've been awake I've had multiple visits from people in Dauntless. Justin, Cameron, Jack and his friends all made sure to check up on me. Tris and Tobias have been in everyday, fretting over me and scolding my rash decisions. I just laughed and was happy that they were worried in the first place.

Christina was an absolute mess. Apparently they found the missing patrol group in the same area that I was being held. Will suffered no more than a broken nose with a nasty bump on his head, but he still stayed in the infirmary overnight when he got back just to be safe. Christina rushed in as soon as she heard he was back, sobbing uncontrollably.

Then when she came to see me, I was still unconscious at the time. Eric had to tell her to leave when she got close to having a panic attack, and Mary got her some tea. That much stress wasn't good for neither her nor the baby. When I woke up she was one of the first ones to see me, thanking me over and over again for helping find Will. I tried to explain to her that it was just dumb luck they were in the same area I was being held, but she wouldn't have any of it. She kept going on about how if I hadn't been taken there, then they most likely would have killed Will. I just hugged her and told her everything would be okay.

I was moved to my apartment via wheelchair. Even though I hated riding in the thing, I did realize that there was no way I would have been able to make the journey, even with taking the elevator. Tobias and Tris helped me make the transition. Eric would have been there but there was a fight in the Pit that he had to break up, and then deal with the people who started it.

Serenity makes sure to come in with Ange every time she shows up at my apartment. She always has to sit on the bed or couch with me--depending on where I'm currently located. Ange must have told her that I was hurt, because she's always very careful for a three-year old when she's around me. Sometimes she gets restless when her mother and I talk, though, so I had Tris bring me a pack of markers for her to decorate my cast with. She squealed when she found out she could draw on the white plaster.

Christina and Tris try to keep me company throughout the days. With Christina now in her 4th month of pregnancy, her belly is starting to show more and I can see that Will is loving it. Christina works part-time at the tattoo parlor, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying it. Sam, the guy who gave me the option of designing my own tattoo when I first got here is her boss. He takes it easy with her, knowing that as she gets bigger it'll be harder for her to work. I may have also asked him to be gentle with her work load.

After the girls leave, I'm usually by myself for a couple hours. They can't be here all the time, and if they were I'm sure it would get boring. During the time I have alone I clean up what I can, trying my best not to bump or move anything wrong. Sometimes when I take a breath my ribs ache, and I have to sit down for a few minutes. It's long and it sucks.

Eric has also gotten into the habit of coming over every night after work, so at least this way I know I'm not alone. A part of me feels like he's trying to make up for how he acted before--when he lost his memory. I've told him that it's not his fault, that he didn't know what he was doing, but every time I see that steely look in his eyes I know he won't be budged.

I just finish reading The Legend of Tarzan one late night when I hear the routine knock on the door. I let out a yawn, closing the thick book and placing it on the coffee table in front of my couch. I grab the pair of crutches that Mary said I could now use and stand, lifting my broken leg in the air slightly as it aches at the sudden movement.

I slowly make my way to the door, the clacking sound of the crutches resounding on the tiled floor. I pause once I reach the knob, shifting one of the crutches to the side so they're both under my left arm. I flip the lock on the door and turn the handle, opening it. When I see Eric standing there with a take-out box of what I'm assuming is Chinese food, I smile up at him. The corners of his mouth turn up slightly as well as he steps inside.

He walks past me towards the kitchen and I shut the door behind him. Situating the crutches again, I walk to the island in the middle of the kitchen and place myself on one of the bar stools, watching him move about the tiny space. He places the take-out box on the counter and walks to the cupboard that houses the plates.

"What's the damage?" I ask, popping open the lid on the container, my nostrils instantly hit with the smell of General Tso's chicken and fried dumplings. I feel my mouth water at the thought of eating it.

"Two fights at the bar, a couple was caught on the train making out by Lauren, and someone tried to steal a motorbike. It was pretty slow today."

"Making out on the train, huh?" I raise an eyebrow. He looks at me over his shoulder, smirking at me. He grabs the Chinese food and starts dishing it out onto two plates.

"I told you that someone tried to steal a bike and you're worried about some teenagers who were kissing in a train car?"

I tap my chin like I'm pondering something big. "No, not worried. Just wondering what that would be like."

He places the food down on the counter and faces me completely, standing tall and imposing. He takes slow, captivating steps towards me, his boots thudding each time they touch the floor. I feel my breath catch in my throat for a second as he draws near, a hungry look in his eyes.

And something tells me he's not hungry for the Chinese food.

He places his arms on either side of me at the island, trapping me there. I look up at him, mouth parted open slightly in anticipation. He has a determined look on his face, his eyes looking between my mouth and my eyes. One side of his mouth turns up in a smile, showing me his obnoxiously perfect white teeth. I love those teeth. I love that mouth.

I love him.

He leans forward and I meet him halfway, our mouths clashing against each other. My eyes close as he slips his tongue into my mouth, eliciting a groan from me in response. At that he reaches one hand up to cup the back of my head to pull me closer, and his other hand (to my surprise) gently grabs a hold of my hip, pulling me to the edge of the bar stool. He nudges my legs apart as he stands between them, getting close to my body.

He pulls away, leaving me breathless. His mouth peppers kisses from my mouth to my jaw and down the side of my neck. He finally stops at the junction between my throat and shoulder, where he proceeds to suck and lick on my flesh. In the back of my mind I know he's going to leave a hickey, but as I sit here with both of my hands tangled in his hair and his mouth doing wicked things to me, I can't bring myself to care.

"Hopefully it would be something like this." He says against my skin, his warm breath tickling me gently. When he leans forward and takes my earlobe between his teeth I can't help but let out a sound full of nothing but pure need.

He lifts his head and once more kisses me, hard, stealing the breath from my lungs. He does pull away, sadly, and leans his forehead against mine. He looks into my eyes, lips parted as he breathes through his mouth, his large chest rising and falling with every deep inhale and exhale.

"It's taking everything in me not to fuck the shit out of you." Eric growls lowly, and I feel myself go lightheaded while simultaneously feeling more alive than I have in a long time.

"What the fuck?"

Eric stands up straight immediately and whips his head towards the door that we hadn't heard open. Tobias stands there, one hand still resting on the door knob, one foot in the door. A look between disgust and pure anger shows on his face as he stares at Eric.

"What did you just say?" He asks, looking pointedly at Eric. I don't know whether to be embarrassed that he heard Eric say that, or pissed that he interrupted what we had going on there.

Eric merely rolls his eyes before fixing a lazy gaze on my brother. "Don't get your panties in a twist, Four. I wouldn't want to break her more than she already is."

"Hey!" I can't help but argue. Is he calling me weak?

Eric raises an eyebrow as he stares down at me. "What?"

"Are you saying I couldn't handle it, because let me tell you I would--" I start, but Tobias starts making gagging noises.

"I never want to hear any discussion of anything like this from either one of you again, hear me?" I open my mouth to argue, but Tobias points a finger at me as he sends a glare our way. "No. Not a single word."

Eric scoffs and steps away from me, going over to our plates of cooling Chinese. After watching him for a moment, Tobias walks towards me. He watches Eric out of the corner of his eye.

"Any who," Tobias grits out, shoving the key to my apartment I gave him back into his pant pocket before sitting on Eric's stool beside me, "I wanted to talk to you about something, and I'm glad I came when I did and not a minute later."

"I kinda wish you had."

"Crys!" Tobias shrieks, and I can't help but laugh at how uncomfortable he is.

"That makes two of us." I hear Eric mumble behind us, and telling by Tobias' lack of reaction, I take it he didn't notice the quip.

"What do you want?" I ask once my giggling dies down.

Tobias lets out a sigh, his eyes flicking to Eric briefly. "I, well, I was hoping to tell you this alone--"

"--eat my ass, Four--"

"--but I'll just get it out." Tobias growls, sending a look at Eric's back. He turns his attention back to me, taking a deep breath. This must be serious.

"What's wrong? Did something happen with Marcus?" I ask, my voice lowering when I say his name.

Tobias bristles, making a disgusted face. "No. Nothing happened; sadly. Listen, this is supposed to be a good thing, so just let me talk, okay? Don't interrupt."

I shake my head, holding my hands up. I gesture for him to continue, and so he does.

"I'm going to ask Tris to marry me."

I feel my mouth open in shock. I watch Tobias for a second, looking to see if he's joking around with me, but when I see the slight grin in his eyes I know he's serious. My open mouth spreads into a full-tooth smile, and I can't help the girly moment where I let out a scream.

"Oh my god!" I yell as Tobias scrunches his face up and covers his ears. He's smiling though, so I can tell he's pleased by my reaction. "Are you for real?"

He nods, letting out a chuckle. I scream again and pull him in for a hug, holding onto him tightly as I feel happiness spread through my entire body. "I'm going to have a sister! And it's Tris!"

Tobias lets out a real laugh at that. He pulls away, raising an eyebrow at me. "Now, she hasn't said yes yet."

I slap him on the shoulder. "You know she's going to."

He runs a hand through his hair, letting out a puff of air. "I sure hope so; otherwise I just spent a shit ton of money on this ring for nothing."

Tobias reaches into his other pant pocket and pulls out a little black and velvet box. He pops it open, revealing a delicate diamond ring inside. It's in the shape of a square, but the way it cuts lets the light reflect off of it in many different direction.

"Tobi, it's beautiful." I whisper, reaching out and touching it carefully. The rock is smooth to the touch.

He doesn't say anything about me using his name in front of Eric. Instead, he simply smiles down at the box. "Yeah, and it'll look even better on her."

I pull him in for another hug. "I'm so happy for you."

He holds me tightly against him before letting me go. "Who would have thought that we would end up where we are today?"

Eric walks around and places a plate of food in front of me, complete with silverware and a glass of water. Had it been anyone else, Eric wouldn't be caught dead doing something so civil as preparing me a meal. During the time that I was recovering, however, Tobias and Eric seem to have gotten along well enough to tolerate one another. They still loathe each other, and I'm not sure that will ever change. But Tobias knows that I care for Eric, and Eric knows that I'll never stop loving my brother, so they're willing to try.

It's rough, but it's better than what it was.

Eric holds his plate in his hand and looks pointedly at Tobias, indicating that he wants his seat back. They stare at each other for a few seconds, daring the other one to make a move. I sigh, rolling my eyes. At least they're not throwing punches at one another.

"I'm going to head back." Tobias gives in, standing and pushing the bar stool far away from the island just to piss Eric off. I roll my eyes but smirk nonetheless. I will admit that it's pretty funny. "I'll see you tomorrow, Sis." Tobias presses a kiss to the top of my head and walks out the door, shutting it behind him.

"You should change the locks." Eric says as he pulls the bar stool back over to my side, the sound of it dragging across the floor making me cringe.

"I'm not changing the locks, Eric." I say as I twirl my fork in my noodles.

"Then how are we supposed to have any fun without Buzzkill there barging in every time it gets interesting?" Eric grumbles into his food. He shoves a forkful of white rice into his mouth, chewing it angrily.

I smile at him, silently appreciating how normal this moment seems to be. True, it's not really that normal, but it's domestic. It's nice.

"We'll find a way."

Eric looks at me out of the corner of his eye, watching me.

"Train car?"

I nod. "Train car."

------------------------------------------------------

I find out I was correct in my assumption that Tris would say yes when 3 days later Tobias finally asks her. He does it on top of one of the buildings outside of the compound, away from all the noise of Dauntless. Tris comes back and her and Tobias aren't seen leaving the apartment for the entire day following the proposal. I can't wait to tell Tobias about how big of a hypocrite he is and how he says that I shouldn't do things.

Yeah, like he's going to stop me.

When Tris finally finds me and expresses her happiness at becoming my sister, she breaks down into tears. Most of them are happy, but some of them are also sad. It confuses me at first, but then she explains that she just wishes her family could enjoy this with her. Her entire family.

She doesn't have to say his name for me to know she's talking about Caleb. After the situation with Jeanine went down, he went missing. No one has seen or heard from him in three years. We looked for the longest time, and Tris knows what would happen if he was found. Caleb tried to exterminate Abnegation with Jeanine and control everyone. He is labeled as a traitor.

Still, I can't help but empathize with her. Even though I no longer consider Marcus my father, I still wish that I had one in my life. I have Hendricks, and he's as close to a Father that I believe I'll ever get. Surprisingly, I'm okay with that.

Christina and I get together with Tris and start planning her wedding. She wants it to be small, with only her close friends and family there. I agree, her and I both knowing that it's what Tobias will want as well. He's not exactly a people-person.

Every night Eric comes to my apartment, whether it's to check in on me or just to be with me. More often than not he has started spending the night. I'm going to need a bigger bed if this continues happening.

Eric and I haven't had sex. I know he wants our steamy make-out sessions to go farther, but he's holding back. I think he's afraid to hurt me. I try to tell him that he can't hurt me, but every time he sees the cast on my legs and the fading bruises on my body his eyes harden. I'll just have to be patient.

Two weeks later finds me sitting on a bed in the infirmary while a doctor takes a saw to the cast on my leg. It's quick and painless, as it should be. Once the plaster is off my leg I can't help but grimace at the skin on my leg. The first thing I'm going to do is take a bath when I get back to my apartment.

"Continue taking your medication for another week," Doctor Markle instructs me as he writes something down on a clipboard, "and then come back if anything out of the ordinary happens. Pain, unexplained headaches and migraines, anything like that."

I hop off the table, relishing the feel of my bare foot against the cool tile of the room. I lift my leg up, hating how weak the muscle there seems to be, and slide my sock on. I then slip my foot into the shoe I brought along with me. My toes feel slightly cramped, like when one goes a long time wearing nothing but sandals.

"I will, Doctor. Thank you." I tell him, flashing him a smile. The older man smiles back, turning and hanging the clipboard up on the wall before leaving the room.

"So what do you want to do now?" Tris asks. She stands from where she was sitting on the bench outside of the room. She doesn't have to work today so she decided to come along with me.

I smile at her. "I want to get a tattoo."

She raises an eyebrow. "Alright. Do you know what you want?"

I nod. "And I know where I want it."

"I've been wanting to get another one for a while now, anyway."

------------------------------------------------------

Christina and Sam were more than happy to help Tris and I with our tattoos, and when I showed Sam what I wanted, he just laughed and said it was perfect for me.

It's nothing big, not too flashy. I just decided to get a music staff around my ankle, with the first few measures of Moonlight Sonata intricately placed on top of it. Christina and Tris also thought it was appropriate.

Tris got the birth dates of her mother and father tattooed on her left hip. It's tiny, and quite honestly, very cute. Christina would have gotten inked with us, but Sam informed her that it probably wasn't a good idea to while she's pregnant. Christina begrudgingly agreed but made Tris and I promise to come back with her and get another one once the baby's born. We laughed and said we would.

------------------------------------------------------

I awake to a light brushing sensation across my forehead. Cracking my eyes open, I see a shadowed figure standing above me. Any other time and I probably would have started freaking out, but when I see the glint of a piercing on their face I calm down.

Eric sits himself on the edge of the couch, forcing my body back into the cushions more. I let out a sigh, my limbs feeling heavy as I shift to make room for him. He faces me, one thigh resting on the couch while his other leg stays on the floor. He reaches up a hand and cups my cheek, watching me closely as his thumb brushes underneath my eye.

It's soothing and I'm still exhausted from the day's activities that I close my eyes again, very close to falling back asleep.

"Let's go to bed." He murmurs, reaching above me and turning the lamp beside the couch off. He stands, his hand leaving my face and instead grabbing my hand in his. He pulls on my arm until I'm sitting up on the couch, but I don't want to move. I yawn, stretching my arms out in front of me.

I hear him let out a laugh. He leans down, placing his arms underneath me and lifting me into the air. My eyes fly open as I watch him, but he just looks at me with a playful gaze. I smile at him, wrapping my arms around his neck and resting my head on his shoulder.

He walks us into the bedroom. He pauses by the bed, kicking his shoes off without putting me down, before using his knee to shove the bed covers open. He places me on the soft mattress where I slide underneath the covers, huddling up as my body slowly begins to heat up.

I hear him flick the bedroom light off and then pad his way over to the bed. There's a creaking sound as he places his weight on the mattress, the bed bowing as it accommodates to his size. He scoots in, tugging some of the blankets away from me. He molds his front to my back, wrapping one arm around my stomach, careful of my ribs.

I turn my head over my shoulder and press a quick kiss to his lips before situating myself more into the bed. He lets out a sigh, his breath tickling the back of my neck. I smile, my body once more falling into sleep's strong embrace.

------------------------------------------------------

I return to work at the end of the week. Thank God, because quite honestly, I was losing my mind doing practically nothing all week. Hearing about what was going on from Eric wasn't enough. I wanted to be there. I wanted in on the action.

I open my office door to find someone sitting in my chair, their feet resting on the desk and hands laced together in front of them. They smirk at me, happiness radiating out of their pores.

I let out a laugh, closing the door behind me. "I see that you've been keeping my seat warm for me."

Hendricks lowers his feet from my desk, letting out a sigh as he leans back in my chair. "This is actually quite comfy. Why don't I have one like this?"

I walk over and sit in one of the chairs facing my desk. "You could, you know. That's completely your choice to have that hard-ass chair in your office."

He waves a hand at me, dismissing my completely logic explanation. I roll my eyes. Oh, Hendricks.

"Are you the welcoming committee?" I ask, sending him a lazy smile. He returns it, the little hairs of his gray mustache moving with his mouth.

"That's Eric's job. I hope he's doing a good job at it." Hendricks raises an eyebrow at me.

I blush, looking to the side. Well, that's awkward. Everyone's automatically assuming Eric and I have a physical relationship. Sure, we cuddle, but nothing more. Okay, the occasional steamy kiss in a dimly lit hallway, but again--it doesn't go any farther than that.

What kind of person was Eric before that everyone is automatically jumping to these conclusions?

I push that into a corner of my mind for me to worry about another day. "Him and I are fine, thank you."

"That's good. Otherwise I'd kill him."

"Hendricks!"

Hendricks shrugs, though I can see the amusement in his eyes. "Whether he loses his memory or not, he treats you like he did before and I'll skin him alive."

I roll my eyes, face-palming. This is ridiculous. "So what did you come here for?"

The playfulness in his eyes slowly fades. He leans forward, resting his arms on my desk and folding his hands together. "It pertains to the Factionless."

I feel the leader side of me take control, realizing that this is serious. "Does it have to do with me being taken?"

Hendricks seems to ponder that for a moment. "Kind of. Yes. No." He shakes his head. "Either way, you have to be there for this meeting."

"Meeting?"

"The leader of the Factionless has complied to meeting in person and discussing things."

I feel my eyebrows raise into my hairline. I lean back against the chair, not believing Hendricks for a moment. "Holy shit!"

He nods. "I know. It seems that your kidnapping and the capture of Patrol 25 has seemed to change their... minds when it comes to certain things."

Hendricks then frowns, seeming puzzled about something. "But they specifically requested your presence."

I think about that for a second. "Okay, I mean that's not that strange. I'm a leader, and their people beat me. Maybe they want to apologize?"

Hendricks seems to flinch when I mention them hurting me, but he skips over that part. "See, that's what we also thought; but then they also said they wanted someone else there."

I frown. "Who?"

"Four."

A silence falls over us. Tobias? Why would they want him there? Do they even know who he is?

"Why on Earth would they want him?"

"That's what we don't understand." Hendricks says, looking angry at himself.

"How many people will be at this meeting?"

"Three people from Factionless will be attending, their leader included. On our side will be you, Four and I. They wanted it to be kept even, so there would be no chance to try anything. We complied."

"Well, I would hope so." I say. "We don't want any trouble--we just want peace."

"That's the message we hope to get across."

Hendricks then leans back in my chair and lets out a sigh, obviously preparing to tell me something he knows I won't like.

"Eric doesn't want you going."

I stare at Hendricks blankly for a moment. "Pardon?"

"When we held this meeting three days ago and it was expressed that you were to attend, Eric immediately protested. He doesn't want you near them anymore, and quite frankly, we agreed with him."

"I'm going to this meeting, Hendricks. I've been working for this for three years."

Hendricks holds his hands up in a calming manner. "I know. Which is why even though I'm not happy with it, we're not stopping you. Eric, however, might try to keep you locked up in your room. Be wary of that."

I tap my chin in thought. That explains why Eric was insisting on me waiting another day until I return to work. He literally wouldn't let go of me in bed that morning. I was confused, but I enjoyed the affection so I didn't complain that much.

"When is the meeting?"

"In an hour."

"Wow, thanks for the heads up, Hendricks."

He rolls his eyes at my sarcasm. "We didn't want you anxious and make you feel like coming back to work before you were ready."

"Where is the meeting being held?" I ask, ignoring what he just said.

"In the woods outside of Dauntless. We leave in half an hour."

"That isn't shady at all." I mumble to myself, standing at the same time as Hendricks. He throws me a confused look but I just shake my head. He leaves a folder on my desk, saluting me before exiting my office.

I walk around my desk, sitting down in the chair Hendricks just vacated with a huff. First day back, and already my life is 1000x more interesting. Well, at least I can say my job isn't boring.

I flip open the folder and start looking through the information. There's not much. The only things here are the information we've gathered ourselves on the Factionless. Their hideouts we know about, the people who are currently registered to be Factionless, and finally the attack that occurred at Amity. I feel my body sag as I read about how much damage was done due to the fires. Amity is still reconstructing the school, and I see that there were two casualties, both of them children. It makes me sick to my stomach. This should have never happened.

I debate on whether or not to bring the casualties up in the meeting with the leader of the Factionless. I could either express how much wrong happened and how if we had been united it would have never happened and risk pissing them off, or not mention it and let them start with a clean slate, their people involved never being punished.

I close the folder with a sigh, already feeling angry at myself. Just a part of the job, I guess.

I throw the manila folder in one of the drawers in my desk, standing and cracking my knuckles. It's time to get serious about this.

I walk out of my office, heading for the elevators. I hit the button, waiting for the elevator to arrive. Once inside I press the button for level two and wait for the doors to slowly close. It isn't until they're almost completely shut do I hear Eric shout my name from down the hallway. I see him moving quickly towards me, but then the doors seal and he's gone.

Would I have stopped and waited for him? Would I have listened to whatever opinion he had on this meeting I'm about to have with the Factionless?

The short answer: yes. I love Eric, and I know he feels the same for me. Though he may have inevitably pissed me off by telling me not to go to this meeting, I still would have listened. If you don't listen to the person you love, then you don't have a real relationship.

The elevator dings and I step out, making my way through the throng of people, occasionally waving and saying hello. Everyone seems in such a happy mood.

I turn the corner and pull out my key card. I walk up to the steel door and swipe my card on the switch beside the doorknob, watching the little light turn from red to green. I push the door open, stepping inside and letting out a giggle.

Tris and Tobias pull their mouths away from one another, looking at me with matching surprised faces. Tris stands out of his lap and walks over to her chair, not looking me in the eye.

"Hey Tris, hey Tobias." I greet slyly. Tobias rubs the back of his neck, sighing and looking at the ceiling. Tris turns her back to me at the computer but throws a wave in my direction at least. I laugh and shake my head.

"I'm assuming you were informed about this 'meeting'?" I ask my brother, stopping at his side and peering at the security footage that's currently playing on the screens. Nothing too out of the ordinary. People are bustling from the stores in the Pit, drunks are coming out of the bars, and people are stopping and conversing with one another in the hallways.

Tobias types something on the computer, and the footage switches to another part of Dauntless. "Yeah, I was. I was also told not to say anything to you."

I roll my eyes. "I'm trying not to dwell too long on the fact that they decided to keep information like this away from me."

Tobias gets an uncomfortable look on his face. "I don't think you should go, Crys."

I stand up, looking down at my brother. "What?"

Tobias puts on his 'I'm older than you and know more than you' face as he looks up at me. "I have a bad feeling about this meeting."

"You know, I expected this from Eric, but you?" I shake my head, feeling a headache brewing. "Even Hendricks knew he wouldn't be able to keep me from going to this meeting."

Tobias flicks his eyes to the opposite side of the room at Tris and then back to me so quickly I almost think it doesn't happen, but Tris stiffens. I look between the two of them, squinting between the two of them.

"Spill."

Tobias frowns up at me. "Huh?"

"You two are keeping something from me. Spill. I want to know."

Tobias watches me for a few seconds, not saying a word. He almost has a 'deer caught in the headlights' look. He finally lets out another sigh and once more runs his hand through his Abnegation-short hair. Pesky habit of his to continuously cut it to that length.

"It sucks whether we tell you or you find out at the meeting."

"I should be informed of any surprises before a meeting with another faction leader, don't you think?" I ask, watching him carefully for any sign he's lying.

"Crys, I was really hoping you wouldn't have to find out about this at all. I just," he frowns at himself, fingers tightening their grip on the arms of the chair until the skin turns white at his knuckles, "I wish that I hadn't found out about this. It would have made my life a lot easier."

"Tobias, you're freaking me out."

A knocking on the door draws my attention away from my brother. I look over to see Hendricks stick his head in and look at us. He looks down at Tobias expectantly, but my brother just shakes his head in response.

What's going on?

"Time to go!" Hendricks claps his hands together, putting on a smile that I can easily tell is forced.

I throw Tobias a look that says 'this isn't over' then march past Hendricks and out the door. I walk ahead of them the entire way outside of the compound and to our truck. I feel the headache pounding away at the walls of my mind. I should've taken some of the medication that doctor gave me last week.

I feel surprise at the sight of Eric leaning against the passenger door of the truck. He has one leg crossed in front of the other, eyes squinting against the harsh light from the sun as he watches me walk towards him. He's wearing a pair of black cargo pants with a long-sleeve leather jacket that has blue stripes running down the arms.

"What are you doing here?" I ask as I walk closer. He pushes away from the truck and takes long strides towards me, purpose in every step he takes.

He wraps his arms around my waist and presses his mouth to mine in a breath-taking kiss. He's nervous and worried, the way his lips move against mine are filled with concern. When he pulls away he cups my face with one hand, tilting my head up so he can see me better. I blink rapidly, still trying to get my breath back.

"Hello to you too?" I ask, giving him a look of confusion.

"If I have to see that ever again I don't know if I'll shoot him or vomit." Tobias's snarky comments drifts through the wind and over to us. I look behind me to see Tobias standing tall with his arms crossed, a clearly unamused look on his face. Hendricks, on the other hand, is grinning from ear to ear as he looks at us. He looks at Tobias out of the corner of his eye, nudging him with his elbow and flicking his head at the truck. Tobias rolls his eyes but gets the hint and climbs into the backseat with Hendricks.

"I thought you'd enjoy that greeting a little more than you did." Eric murmurs as he peers down at me. His full lips look a little pinker than usual after the sudden onslaught of his mouth against mine.

"I enjoyed it plenty," I defend, wrapping my arms around his back, pressing my hands flat on his shoulder blades. The tips of my fingers reach up and brush the skin exposed above the collar of his jacket, causing him to close his eyes for a moment as he takes in a deep breath through his nose. When he opens his eyes again I see the affection in his eyes that only I get to see.

And I love it.

"I take it you already know I'm not enthusiastic about you going to this meeting."

I pull back a little bit when he says that, some of the playfulness slipping from my face. "Yes, I was informed."

"Then you also know that I can't technically stop you."

"Hendricks said you would keep me locked in my room."

"Mm, tying you to the bed. Kinky. I like it."

"Eric!"

He chuckles, bending his head down to brush his lips against my forehead. I shut my eyes, enjoying the feel of his soft lips on my skin.

"So I'm just going to come with you."

My eyes fly open at that. I look up at him, bewildered. "Hendricks said that only three people can go to this meeting."

"Yes, he did say that." Eric says as he releases me and bends down to pick up a bag that was lying by his feet. "So I'm not going to the meeting. I'm just going to sit in the truck and watch from a safe distance away but not too far that I can't shoot their faces off should the situation arise."

"Eric, I don't need protected."

Eric opens the passenger door and tosses the bag in, the sound of it hitting the floor of the truck seeming very loud for some reason.

"I know you don't." He says, pulling the truck keys out of his pocket. How did he get those? "But there are the people who took you and beat you. If you need to go out to the wall and fight monsters, I'll let you. I won't stop you. I'll be there right beside you. But this? Factionless? I'm not taking that chance."

Even though my headache is making me have a short fuse right now and I don't really want anything to go wrong with this meeting and I'm confused as to what Tobias was trying to tell me earlier and a part of me just wants to go back to bed with Eric's arms wrapped around me, I know I can't stop him. He can't stop me from going to this meeting and the same goes for him.

I also know that in a twisted form, this is Eric's way of showing he really cares. He's coming with me. He knows I can handle myself--I have for the past three years, after all--but the thought of me being in the same area with the Factionless again must really grind his gears. So I won't stop him.

I let out a sigh, planting my hands on my hips and closing my eyes. "Go. Get in."

I feel his lips press against mine and then they're gone, the kiss done so fast it's like a ghost was there. I open my eyes and pull on the door handle, pulling myself up into the passenger seat.

I turn and see Tobias looking at Eric in the drivers seat with a disgusted look on his face. Hendricks simply winks at me and pulls out a tablet before beginning to tap away on it. I turn back in my seat and buckle up as Eric does the same. He puts the key in the ignition and starts the truck, looking at me out of the corner of his eye quickly before we start moving.

The ride is short. It's about ten minutes on a gravel off-road path. Hendricks finally tells Eric to stop when we reach what appears to be an old campground. There are run down buildings on the large piece of property, the weeds growing up along the sides of the wooden walls. Picnic benches, most of them destroyed, are placed beside circular areas that must have been used for fires. It's kind of sad that this place wasn't taken care of more--it would be fun today.

Eric turns the truck off and reaches over, taking my left hand in his. He merely glances at the people in the backseat before lifting my hand to his mouth and pressing a soft kiss to the back of my knuckles. After that he drops my hand and gestures to the campsite in front of us, his way of telling us to 'get out'. I roll my eyes, laughing to myself.

I open the door and jump out, situating my clothing and waiting for Tobias and Hendricks to also get out. Once they're down on the ground Hendricks leads us over to one of the log cabins on the edge of the property. I look behind me and see the truck now looks smaller since we're so far away. I wonder if Eric can still see us.

"They should be here shortly. We're supposed to meet them in here." Hendricks says as he opens the door. I'm surprised when it doesn't creak or make any noises.

I step inside, my nose crinkling at the overwhelming smell of mildew and must. Our boots echo as we walk on the wood. I walk around and inspect the cabin, but there's not much inside. There's a desk with a chair and there's a bed frame with no mattress in another room. There's a bathroom with the tub missing at the opposite end of the cabin.

"Nice place." I say casually, hearing Tobias snort at my comment.

Three precise knocks on the door draw my attention away from the giant stain underneath the window and to the living room. I walk out, Hendricks and Tobias standing at one end of the room. I join them, standing on Tobias's right side. He reaches down and interlaces our fingers together. I'm confused but I don't deny him, just wrapping my fingers tightly around his own.

"Enter." Hendricks calls, his voice loud and strong.

The door swings open and two tall, lanky men enter. They're dressed in brown shirts and black pants, the shirt on the man on the right looking a little too big. They have blank looks on their faces as they look from Hendricks to Tobias and then to me. They look at each other and nod, looking out the door and nodding once more.

I feel Tobias's hand squeeze mine tightly. I almost want to ask him what he's so anxious about.

A woman enters, looking to be in her late 40's. She has curly brown hair with graying sections. There are wrinkles on her forehead and crinkles in the corner of her eyes. Her lips are thin, like she's pressing them together on purpose. She wears a white blouse with a pair of simple black slacks. One hand rests in the pocket of her pants while the other hangs by her side. Her slightly crooked nose and ears that she has her hair tucked behind catches my attention, at least, until I see her eyes.

They're such a dark brown that they're almost black. They're unfeeling, whatever happiness one may think she might have by the crow's feet at the corner of her eyes proven false once they see the almost dead look in her eyes. It's unnerving.

"Thank you for agreeing to the meeting, Mr. Hendricks."

Hendricks nods, his jaw set in a firm position.

She turns her attention to Tobias and I, and when she looks me straight in the eye I feel my breath catch in the back of my throat.

"My name is Evelyn Johnson, the leader of the Factionless."

Tobias's grip on my hand is so strong he might actually break it. I would tell him to let go, but right now he's the only thing grounding me to the planet.

The ears and nose that look familiar. The brown hair. They eyes that show how much has happened in her life.

I feel my headache take a sledgehammer and swing at the edges of my mind. It threatens to break through my skull and end me.

I take in a deep breath, finally realizing what it is that Tobias was trying to tell me earlier. He knew about this. He didn't want me to know about this.

I stagger back a step, my other hand latching onto Tobias's arm to hold me upright. I find my voice, though it doesn't really sound like me anymore.

"Mom?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 83 21
What if Marcus and Evelyn Eaton had more than one kid? Meet Shannon Eaton, Tobias Eaton's forgot little sister.. the "golden child". Shannon has neve...
2.7K 73 13
With an abnegation life haunted by shadows, Mare fights to find a way out. In a desperate attempt to escape her father she ends up in dauntless, tryi...
Ashes By Caruscus

Fanfiction

130K 3.1K 17
Things were finally going her way: her brother was marrying her best friend, she had a group of stable people in her life, her work was helping peopl...
24.9K 718 23
Sequel to Initiate Sasha is still in hiding at Amity, regretting the choice that took her there, she thinks she was a coward, running away from the...