Act of a Demon: The Dark Bloo...

Od Lady_Lucia

The mortal world has fallen into chaos, and death reigns under Demon Queen Blethinette's rule. Mundus, Erian... Více

Prelude
Chapter 1 - Cheerful Anguish
Chapter 2 - Midnight's Pastime
Chapter 3 - Parallel Orders from Parallel Worlds
Chapter 4 - The Vacant Room
Chapter 5 - Recycled Words
Chapter 6 - Through Chained Eyes
Chapter 7 - The Hollow
Chapter 8 - Shards
Chapter 9 - Lover I Don't Have to Love
Chapter 10 - Fatherly Advice
Chapter 11 - Better Than Nothing
Chapter 12 - Goodbye to Sleep
Chapter 13 - Aqua Oscura
Chapter 14 - Haven
Chapter 15 - Fabulous
Chapter 16 - Division of Power
Chapter 17 - The Chase for Valor
Chapter 18 - Morbid Homecoming
Chapter 19 - Homely Growth
Chapter 20 - Clash of Fire
Chapter 21 - Crossroads
Chapter 22 - Acceptance's Absolution
Chapter 23 - Awkward is an Understatement
Chapter 24 - Doubled Delusion
Chapter 25 - The Ambition of a Queen
Chapter 26 - Shadows and Memories
Chapter 27 - Requiem for the Living
Chapter 28 - Collision of Dark and Light
Chapter 29 - Encasing Walls, Enclosing Thoughts
Chapter 30 - Therapy Part I
Chapter 31 - Mother
Chapter 32 - Relinquish
Epilogue
Author's Note - Please read!

Chapter 30 - Therapy Part II

1.9K 184 58
Od Lady_Lucia

Important Author's Note: Again, just letting you know that this is the second part of chapter thirty and both parts were uploaded at the same time. 

Dedicated to Dragon_of_Writing for all her wonderful votes on my story. Thank you! 

30.

Therapy - Part II

Mundus leaned on the wall with his arms crossed. He had been alone for too long, and it was as irritating as it was boring. He kept hoping the surface behind him would transport him somewhere else or at least bring someone to him. However, when the walls in front of him rippled and cracked, spitting out a person, he wished to be alone again.

He watched through narrowed eyes as Ayame gave him a glare of her own. Having her this close, Mundus could see the holes and nicks on her clothes. Despite the absence of blood and actual wounds, he was familiar with the tears. They were testimonies to the injuries he had given her so long ago, and her entire wardrobe might as well been tattered rags. A pit opened in his stomach and for a moment he couldn’t breathe from the intensity of his shame.

If he had only allowed her a moment to speak that rainy night when he encountered her with Kibito. It was a haunting and disturbing though he had obsessed with since he had found out the truth about Ayame’s intentions during that night. What was the cost of a moment? Had he given her that, how differently would have the events have unfolded? Her death was the only thing that was certain, he knew. Even if they had had their happy ending, it wouldn’t have been a long one.

He watched as Ayame walked to a corner of the room, the one furthest from him, and sat down on the floor. Her long hair draped around her, concealing most of her huddled form. He remembered when Reyna’s hair was once that lustrous too. He sighed. She never should have cut it.

The wall in front of him, the same one that had brought Ayame, rippled and sputtered again and Reyna stumbled out from it. He straightened away from his lean, eyebrows up in surprise. Ayame and Reyna. Within the same room as himself.  

“Uh,” Reyna said, head darting from him to Ayame. “Hi?”

Ayame’s head snapped up. “Reyna!”

The petite woman jumped to her feet and dashed the short distance across the room to the stunned Reyna. She wrapped her arms around her.

“Ayame?” Reyna asked. Mundus could hear the confusion in her voice.

“Reyna,” Ayame gasped. She dropped to her knees, bringing Reyna down with her. Her face was buried in her chest. “My family.”

Mundus saw the pained expression that graced Reyna’s features. Her arms came around the Japanese woman and the two bowed into one another, fingers grasping their clothes tight.

“Yeah, Ayame,” Reyna said. “I guess I am.”

 Mundus looked away from them, unsure what to make of what he had seen. Disgrace, sorrow, and a touch of awkwardness gripped inside his chest.  

“Toyoko,” he heard Ayame say. “Her children survived. My sister lived on in them. Reyna, you are my sister as well.”

His hands became fists. “Enough,” he roared. He didn’t wish to be reminded of his mistakes.

The two women looked at him, Reyna a glower and Ayame a pensive stare. This was too bizarre.

“I apologize,” he said. “I merely meant—”

“No,” Ayame said as she stood. “We should probably get this over with.”

“Get this over with?” Reyna asked, also on her feet.

“Yes. I think it’s the only way we’ll get out of here. It seems these rooms work on emotions. At least that’s what Verden said.”

“Verden? As weird as it sounds, Ram did say we had to solve our ‘distress’ and issues.”

Mundus’ chest tightened. Did they mean to talk about everything that has happened between them? He faced the wall behind him, mentally pleading it to take him away to another room.  

“Mundus doesn’t talk about his feelings though,” Reyna said, prompting him to face them again.

Ayame snorted. “Then you know a different Mundus than the one I met. I recall him prancing around, constantly reminding me of his love.”

She giggled. “What?”

“Such did not occur!” Mundus boomed, his face hot.

Ayame crossed her arms. “Alright. You weren’t exactly prancing around. I’ll give you that, but perhaps you should say how you feel, and I don’t mean between us.”

“If you wish for me to proclaim where my love lies between the two of you, it is indeed within Reyna.” His words were curt; he was tired of the games with the walls and the spite in Ayame’s voice was not helping his distress.

Reyna shook her head. “You can’t love me. It’s Ayame. It always was. Ram told me.”

He knew what she meant. “I am aware of what he spoke. He voiced such to me as well, and while there may be truth in such words, there is indeed no falsehood in what I currently feel towards you, Reyna.”

“No. You can’t,” she insisted.

“Foolish wench—”

“Hey!” the two said at the same time.

He ground his teeth and rolled his eyes. That one was on him. He was weary of exposing his emotions. He had already done so at the Aqua Oscura fountain and saw no need to do it again.

“I see ‘wench’ is still your favorite word, Mundus,” Ayame told him,” but come on. Tell us why what Ram said was wrong.”

He remained silent.

“It’s okay. It hurt at first, but it’s okay.” Reyna’s voice was a hesitant encouragement.  

He sighed. If anything—the rejection, the memories, the pain—he wanted Reyna to know the truth at least.

“Reyna,” he said, “upon our initial meeting, your presence did recall memories of Ayame, and such is most likely what caused me to become quite attached to you. My overprotection stemmed from my desire to not relive the loss of Ayame. My pilfered kiss from you the night of your celebration was simply a longing in desiring her to be with me once more, yet such changed when you had been the one to kiss me. It occurred during the thunderstorm.

“It had been raining the night I lost Ayame, yet the rain was also present in the night I found you. Through the warmth of your lips, I felt affection. I felt…redeemed. A second chance had graced me.”

Mundus stopped and glanced at Ayame to see if his speech had any impact on her, but she appeared stoic, if a little intrigued.

“Your face, Reyna,” he continued, returning his gaze to her, “your gestures, your words, you essence replaced and removed Ayame’s. My thoughts revolved around your being and intensified with each passing day. Such is why when we stepped into my home world, I did not wish for you to discover the truth about your roots or my lineage. I desired to keep you safe and oblivious to the truths detained within that world. I did not desire to lose you as well.

“It was that infuriating mortal boy. His words were what prompted me to discover the location of the Aqua Oscura fountain.”

“Mortal boy?” Ayame interrupted. “Do you mean Dante?”

Mundus saw the blush that crossed Reyna’s cheeks. He was not surprised.

He continued as if Ayame hadn’t said anything at all. “‘What will you do when you have Reyna? How long will you be together as she begins to age and grow weaker? When she dies? What happens then?’ he had asked me. Those questions sank into me until my realization answered them: I did not know. The one method to solve such difficulties was not within my grasp. In order to obtain the Aqua Oscura, I had to rejoin my mother for she was the sole bearer of its location.

“Yet such had been another mistake. Confined to my mother’s orders once more, I slaughtered and destroyed only to realize such was not the way. Such was not the action to show I cared for you, Reyna. I was extinguishing all you loved. I was destroying your home.”

He paused, debating whether he should say it.

“You’re right,” Reyna said, cutting into his thoughts. “What you did was beyond wrong. It was beyond—”

“Unforgiveable,” Ayame finished for her.

He bowed his head. “I am aware of such,” he whispered. “I am aware of my idiotic and reckless nature.”

A frustrated sigh escaped Reyna and she shoved her hair behind her ears. “This is stupid.”

“No.” The word came out solid from his tongue.

The two women, his past and present, face him with surprised curiosity.

“Despite what you may think, Reyna, I will not allow you to believe my current emotions for you are false. If anything, do not deny my feelings,” he said.

“Even so, Mundus, I want to be with Dante,” she answered dryly, sights on the ground.

He already knew that, but it pierced him nonetheless. “I am aware of such. There is only one favor I request from you. Do not consume the flower I gifted you. I do not wish for its effect to destroy you.”

Reyna’s hand came to her pocket but he wasn’t sure if she still carried the flower.

“All that being said, you do understand you don’t deserve Reyna, right Mundus?” Ayame said. She crept closer to him. “You do see how you can’t possibly hope to think good wishes upon her soul will make her like you again. I’m honestly surprised she still talks to you. That she still allows you to even be in the same room as her.”

A growl emerged from him. He had heard similar words form his brother. He didn’t need to hear them again, much less from Ayame. He knew what he had done was nothing but mistakes.

Yet why do I continue to repeat them?

“So it comes down to me now,” Ayame continued. “Why do you want me here, Mundus?”

She was standing before him now. Mundus observed her one last time. He remembered how excited he had been when he saw her again. It meant he could ask of her something he thought he would never be able to do. He had been given another rare second chance. He was lucky in receiving them but not in executing them.

 “I desire to ask for your forgiveness,” Mundus told her, “yet whether you bestow it upon me or not, I wish for it to be known I sincerely plead for it.”

She smiled. “You don’t have my forgiveness, but it’s nice to know you asked for it.”

He knew she wouldn’t give it to him, but he smirked nonetheless. “If at all I should thank you as well, Ayame. It was because of you that I now hold this love for Reyna. You stirred my curiosity that night I chanced upon you. I bestowed humans a chance and distanced as far as to fall in love with one. Our encounter did not end well, but it led to Reyna. I love her.”

“Mundus,” Reyna said and Mundus knew that was all she would say.

~*~*~

Dante wished he could at least have some sign to tell him what time it was. He was drained but he dared not fall asleep. Not that he could. The high from his kiss with Reyna was still in his system. His thoughts kept turning to it and what she said, a grin blossoming on his face. His cheeks hurt.

There was also the dread. It wasn’t as potent but it was still there. What if Reyna decided she didn’t like him after all? What if telling her no was the wrong thing to do? What if she never comes back?

He shook his head and sighed, staring at the ground. He just had to trust his actions and her words. It would’ve been so easy to just give in but there had to be no doubts. Reyna had to truly want him.

The sound of footsteps caught his attention. He lifted his head and saw Mundus.

“Great,” he muttered.

The demon heard him. “This such situation does not elate me either.”

“What are you doing here?”

“You insinuate as if I possess control over this.”

“Well I sure as hell don’t want you here.”

Mundus scowled at him. “I am in no mood for arguments. In fact, I fail to see the reason for you to harbor any distaste towards me. Reyna is yours. Is not such what you desired?”

He lifted an eyebrow at him. It was tempting to go along with what he said. The craving to gloat and scour his wound raw etched through him.

“She’s not exactly mine,” he said instead. “Though I doubt she would appreciate us claiming her like that.”

Mundus gave a small smirk. “I believe such of her as well, yet why do you speak such words?”

Dante sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. “I was actually the one that turned her down.”

Astonishment overtook Mundus’ face. “You rejected her advances?”

“Don’t rub it in. I just wanted her to be sure. I actually wanted her to talk to you too.”

The demon looked at him like he was stupid.

“Yeah, I don’t know why I’m telling you all this either,” he said.

His usual cocky grin settled on his lips. “How generous of you. Your failure to act nearly tempts me in charming her away from you again.”

Again.

“From the kiss she gave me, I doubt it.” Dante matched his grin.

It felt good to see Mundus’ defeated expression. In fact, he wasn’t sure if he had ever seen the demon in a defeated state of anything.

“I simply ask one thing of you,” Mundus said.

“If you’re gonna tell me to take care of her, that doesn’t need to be asked.”

He shook his head. “Do not allow Reyna to consume the flower of the Aqua Oscura.”

Dante sneered. “That won’t be a problem, I promise.”

“Very well. I shall hold you to that vow.” 

~*~*~

Reyna didn’t know what to say to Ayame. Now that they were alone, she was focusing too much on the young woman’s torn clothes. What could it have taken to cause so much damage to her that her outfit looked like the remnants of scraps?

It was what Mundus did. Mundus…

His words still swarmed in her head, but they hadn’t settled enough for her to dissect them. For now, that’s all they were: words. Mundus’ lover form another life was smiling at her, and Reyna felt that was more important to think about right now.

She licked her lips. “Are you okay with what Mundus said?”

Ayame’s smile widened. “Why should it bother me? It made sense. I believe Mundus truly loves you. You don’t?”

“No. I…I don’t know. I don’t think I can think of that right now. What I mean is doesn’t it bother you that he fell in love with someone else, thinking of that person as you? In fact, shouldn’t this all bother you? You guys were in love, weren’t you?”

Her laughter filled the entire tiny room. “I guess you could say that. I was what, sixteen or seventeen? How would I know what love was? I can say I was infatuated and that I did care for Mundus and enjoyed being with him.” A glint of warmth seemed to tint her eyes.

“But I’m not sure if it could have worked out. Oh, I wanted it to. We talked about leaving and running away, but to where? Where could we hide, especially when those that would come looking for us could easily find us through our Magika essence? I’m sure we would’ve wanted it to work out. We would’ve worked on it to work out, but it never came to that point. In the end, it fell apart.” Ayame shook her head.

“Fell apart,” Reyna repeated. “That is one way to put it.”

She laughed again. “You’d be surprised what the memories of time can dull.”

“But not enough to forgive him.”

“I said dull, Reyna, not erase.” She appeared thoughtful. “But maybe with more time.”

Her face was so young, Reyna noted. Her cheeks were still round and her lips hinted at more to come, but Reyna knew it never would. Ayame would always appear as a teenager, and maybe that’s why the sorrow on her young face was so evident. Reyna threw her arms around her. She felt her stiffen with the unexpected action but Ayame embraced her too, clasping her close.

Toyoko,” Ayame whispered through her silent sobs.

Reyna combed her fingers through her long locks. It felt like silk.

A tug at her shirt was felt. She turned around to see the creepy white arms slither out from the wall behind her.

“No,” she said when they tugged at her again. “I don’t—Ayame.”

The young woman shook her head. “Just go, Reyna. It’s okay. I’ll be fine. Make sure to remember all of this because I won’t once we go back.”

Reyna wanted to call out to her again but the darkness silenced her as she passed through the wall. She held her breath and waited, wondering where she was going to appear next. Hopefully it was Dante. She had always enjoyed his cuddles and she really needed one now, but when the blackness lifted, it was Ram who smiled at her.

She screamed. Her frustration, anger, resentment, confusion—everything—erupted from her throat.

“Oh, Sister, you’re so adorable,” he said when she finished.

“What do you want? I thought we were through. I thought I wasn’t going to see your face anymore!” Her voice was raspy but she hoped he still heard the venom in it.

“Why, Sister. What hurtful things.” His expression was pained but she knew it was also feigned.

“I don’t care. Just stop this already. This isn’t helping!” Her hands went up and her fingers curled at the air.

“Help? But that’s what I want to do,” Ram said.

His markings, all of them that were visible on his arms and face, began to swirl and stretch. They clawed up his skin, coating him with more blackness. The texture swarmed up his arms and neck like smooth ink; it did not settle into the creases and cracks of his skin. Ram’s already darkened hands came up to his face, hiding the dancing marks there, and he fell to his knees.  

Reyna edged towards him. “Ram?”

His hands came down and her eyes widened. His face had previously been framed by the black branches but now they darkened his lips and outlined his eyes. The tiny inked fingers crawled over his cheeks and forehead, opposite ends almost meeting at the bridge of his nose. Ram looked at her. The white of his eyes was dyed a deep emerald.

“Ram?” She stepped away from him.

He smiled and despite all Reyna had gone through today, this was by far the most mournful smile she had seen.

“It was a family. That was all I wanted,” he said. His voice was quiet and his words escaped him slowly.

A few seconds of silence passed before Reyna answered. “I don’t understand.”

“I just wanted to be part of a family. A real family. That was all, but Uncle Amon”—his face wrinkled but then he smiled—“I saw him when he passed. He recognized me and he called to me. He cried, ‘Forgive me. Forgive me’ over and over and over. I told him to sleep. He would find forgiveness there. And he did.”

Reyna swallowed, her throat aching from her earlier yell. “Ram, do you want to stand up?” she asked, testing his coherence.

“Mom and dad. I had been able to see them too,” he said, oblivious to her question, “but it was only mom who hugged me. I know they remembered. I know they remembered who I was. All Magika is gone here. She hugged me and cried. She called me her little boy.”

His eyes found hers and it chilled her.

“She held me and cradled me, and I was happy, Reyna. I was happy. Is that what a mother’s love feels like? That was all I wanted. It was dad who told me my real name. I had been named. I remember I had been named. I had seen the name, but it was always a blur, but I remember it now. Aleric Felix. Do you like it, Reyna?”

She flinched. “Y—yes, Ram…Aleric.”

He smiled and despite his unsightly face, it radiated with joy. “You said my name. That makes me so happy. It was just a family I wanted. I just…I just…”

Ram’s palms smashed onto the floor, his head lowered to the ground. “I’m sorry, Reyna. I love you, Reyna. I wanted a sister. I wanted a sister and a mother and a father and an uncle. I wanted all of that, but I wanted you all to love me too. I wanted you all to love me.”

It took Reyna a few second to realize he was crying. His shoulder blades jutted into the air and there were tears on the floor under his head. She bit her lip, uncertain as she approached him and came down to one knee.

“Ram?” Her voice was so quiet she didn’t even hear herself speak.

“Reyna,” he answered and lifted his head. He pushed himself to his knees.

She was certain he was crying but his face was too dark for the tears to be seen. Even his eyes were alien orbs that hid his emotions.

“Ram, I…I don’t know what to say.” She voiced her truth.

He reached for her arms. Reyna recoiled.

“Please, Reyna,” he begged.

The softness in his voice brought her back, but she still tensed when his touch fell on her arms and he pulled her towards his chest. His arms embraced her and though she hugged back, it felt more out of necessity than sincere affection.

Too many people are trying to hug me today.

“You have to know I wanted to help. Umbra wanted to help too. The balance,” he said.

Reyna could feel the vibrations of his voice on the side of her face. She frowned and pulled away. “I don’t know what you mean. You keep telling us about the balance and how we’re supposed to help it, but how?”

He held onto her hands. Despite the dark taint on them, they felt gentle. “You have the knowledge. You know how the balance works.”

“But how are we supposed to apply it?”

Though Ram looked at her, she felt he wasn’t. His strange eyes appeared focused on something else. He blinked.

“I can’t, Reyna. I’m sorry.”

“What?”

“You all have to go now. You’re not part of this realm anymore, Reyna. None of you are. You’re going back.”

She shook her head and tried to speak but her voice wouldn’t work.

Ram squeezed her hands. “Just remember my real name, okay, Reyna? That’s all I ask. I may forget it again.”

The whiteness from the room ate him and Reyna no longer felt the warmth of his hands. The ground gave away from under her. 

Aleric, she thought as she felt herself fall. 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

5.8K 771 37
Even in the darkest of times, one can still find light. They just have to look at the stars. Humans have been blessed by the Divines. For centuries...
266K 14.2K 45
★ 2013 Watty Finalist ★ The day Reyna gives her friend Dante the chance to be her boyfriend is the day a demon's soul awakens within her body. His na...
4.8K 2.7K 128
It all started with a happy group of friends. Everything seemed perfect until a terrifying scream was heard at a party they all attended, from then o...
37 5 25
An unlikely friendship develops between a Demon and Angel, but after a misunderstanding they became estranged. Meeting again when they are older, Lle...