The Mentor

By xXMeXx627

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS THE SEQUEL TO THE TUTOR! Margret wasn't raised as your average teenage girl. She has be... More

1. The Mentor
2. The Mentor
3. The Mentor
4. The Mentor
5. The Mentor
6. The Mentor
8. The Mentor
9. The Mentor
10. The Mentor
11. The Mentor
12. The Mentor
13. The Mentor
14. The Mentor
15. The Mentor
16. The Mentor
17. The Mentor
18. The Mentor
19. The Mentor
20. The Mentor
21. The Mentor
22. The Mentor
23. The Mentor
24. The Mentor
25. The Mentor
26. The Mentor
27. The Mentor
28. The Mentor
29. The Mentor
30. The Mentor
31. The Mentor
32. The Mentor [END]
The Mentor: Epilogue

7. The Mentor

24K 532 86
By xXMeXx627

7

I cried for almost half an hour just thinking about the kind of life I’m stuck in.  I felt like I didn’t belong.  Sadly though my mother was definitely my mother.  I have her hair and eyes.  My dad’s nose, mouth, and calm demeanor.

I kept wishing something would happen.  I know something has.  I now have just a little bit of freedom, but I need something big.

Suddenly I heard my phone vibrate on my nightstand.

I quickly got up and answered it.  I didn’t have time to check the name, but honestly there are really only two people with my number right now.

“Hello?”

“Hey Mags! How’d the dinner go?!” Declan’s excited voice blew through the phone and I couldn’t help but smile just a little bit.

“It went well.” I said kind of quietly.

“Hold on, why do you sound like you’ve been crying.  What happened?”

“Nothing bad.  My mother is going to let me go to Lyn’s house now, but…” I paused.

“But what?”

“She’s a horrid person!” I exclaimed.

“Woah woah woah, tell me what happened Maggie.”

“She was faking the entire night because she thought that we might as well settle with them as friends for me.  That there wouldn’t be anyone better.  There isn’t, but it’s the fact that the whole night she was looking down on them and being a condescending b-”

“Condescending what?”

“Bitch!” I couldn’t believe I called her that, but at the same time it felt so invigorating finally saying it out loud.

He sighed, “Maggie calm down, I completely understand how you’re feeling, but she is your mother.”

“I know.” I said quietly.  “You’re right I shouldn’t have said that.”

“No, you should’ve, because the way she acted it’s deserved.  I was just worried she might hear you.” He said chuckling.

I began giggling too, “Good point.”

“There’s a laugh.  Listen my suggestion is to look at the positives.  You get to go to Lyn’s now and that means we can spend more time with each other too.”

My cheeks heated up and I got a goofy grin on my face.  “Yeah…we do.” I said.  Once again he can’t see my blush, but I still covered my face with my sheets.

“So, I was thinking that maybe you can see if you can go to Lyn’s tomorrow and I’ll head over later.  Her mom loves me and won’t mind me just popping in.”

“I don’t think her mom minds anyone just popping in.  She’s so kind.”

“Yeah she is.”

“But yes, I will see if my mother will let me go.  I hope she will.”

“I’m sure she will.  It’ll be fun too.  We can have a movie marathon.”

“A movie marathon?! That sounds amazing!”

“Yeah, so what’s your favorite movie?”

I hesitated, “Uh…well…I don’t really have one.”

“What? How can you not have a favorite movie?”

“Well…I’ve never really seen a good one I guess.  My mom makes me watch documentaries most of the time.”

“Oh Lord! Yeah we’re definitely having a movie night.”

“I’m so excited.” I whispered.

“I’m glad.” He whispered back.

I giggled, “Well, I have to go to sleep.  I’ll talk to my mother in the morning then I’ll call Lyn.”

“Okay, that’s perfect.  Goodnight Maggie.”

“Goodnight Declan.”

~*~

“Mother?”

“Yes Margret?”

“I was wondering if it would be alright if maybe I went over to Lyn’s house today.  She invited me over to spend some time together since we haven’t ever gotten a chance outside of school.”

She eyed me and thought about it for a minute.  After what seemed like forever she finally spoke. “Alright, you may go.  Your father will take you later.”

“When exactly is later?”

“Around two.”

“That is perfect!” I said happily.

I ran upstairs and quickly called Lyn.

“Hello?”

“Hi Lyn, Um…I know this is rude but-”

“Declan already called me.” She chuckled. “Yes you can come over.  What time?”

“Around two?”

“That sounds great.  I’ll let your lover boy know.” She giggled.

“Lover boy?!”

“I’m kidding Margret…kind of.”

“He…but…I…”

“I know you like each other dork.  He’s playing it safe though because he knows you’ve never had a boyfriend.”

I felt so touched, “That’s so kind of him.”

“Yeah he’s a good guy like that.”  I heard the smile in her voice.  “I’ll make sure everything goes well today too.  He said something about a movie day. I’m inviting Chelsea and Quinn over too so I’m not the awkward third wheel.” She chuckled.

“Third wheel?”

“You know…like you guys are the couple then I’m over there by myself?”

“But we’re not a couple!”

“But you’re going to be!”

“You don’t know that.”

“But I do.”

“Well, can I invite Noah?” I asked.  I thought about it and this would be a nice chance to get him to talk to Lyn.

She paused for a moment. “Sure…I’ll be surprised if he actually comes.”

“I don’t see why he wouldn’t.  It sounds like fun.  Who can refuse that?”

“You’re a strange girl.” She chuckled.  “Ask away, the more the merrier.  I’ll see you at two Margret.”

“Bye Lyn.”

I hung up the phone and quickly looked out my window to see if Noah was there.

Just my luck he was sitting on his bed by the window.  I quickly threw mine open and grabbed a pen.

I threw it across to his window.  It hit and he jumped and fell off his bed.

I giggled.  He looked over and I waved.

He grinned and whipped open his window.  “How can I help you?”

“I wanted to invite you to watch movies at Lyn’s house.  She said I could invite you.” I said smiling.  “Please come.”

“Uh…I don’t know.” He replied rubbing his neck nervously.

“Noah, I don’t know why you’re so frightened to be near Lyn, but I know that you care about her.  If even I can see it then you know it is obvious.  Why don’t you talk to her? Tell me.”

He sighed.  “I’m ashamed.”

“Of what?”

“I don’t feel comfortable telling you right now.”

“Alright, I understand, but please come tonight.  I’m sure whatever it is can’t be so bad you cannot come tonight.  She doesn’t even know why you run from her.”

“I know.”  He paused, “I guess coming won’t hurt.”

I smiled.  “Great!  We’re meeting at her house at two.  I would take you with us, but I am pretty sure my mother wouldn’t really approve of that.”

He chuckled, “That’s no problem.  I have a car.  I’ll be there at two.”

“Great!  I’m so happy you are coming.”

He smiled and shut his window.

I did the same and began deciding what I should wear.

I thought about what Lyn said about normal clothes yesterday.  Unfortunately I don’t have anything but dresses and skirts.  I sighed.  Maybe my nice light blue dress will look okay.

I put it on and like all my other dresses it went to just above my knees and covered the entire plain of my chest completely.  It was fitting around my torso, but then became looser as it went down.

I was sure it’d be okay.  I know it wasn’t jeans and a t-shirt, but it was nice and casual.

I went into my bathroom and curled my hair and made sure it looked perfect before exiting.

Then I realized it was only eleven.  I still had three hours to kill. 

I collapsed on my bed and shut my eyes.

My mind began wondering to my old friends back in Colorado at the girls’ school.  I wondered how they were and what they were doing.  I thought about if they were to come here and meet me now, and what they’d say.  I suppose I’m not that different…yet.  The more I thought about it though, I began to think that maybe it wouldn’t be them not liking me, it might be me not liking them.  I remembered the things we used to talk about and say and they would say about other girls in our school.  I didn’t always like it, but now I realize that you don’t always have to be a certain way for people to like you.  Sometimes just being yourself goes a long way.  I never spoke poorly of anyone, but they always did and I never stopped them, even if it was a girl I knew personally and rather liked.

Before I knew it I had fallen into a sort of half sleep half conscious state and was waken by my mother knocking on my door.

“Margret, it’s almost time for your father to take you to Lyn’s.  Are you ready?”

“Oh! Yes mother.” I quickly looked in the mirror to make sure I was still presentable. 

Once finished I rushed downstairs and jumped in the car with my dad. 

“Thank you dad.” I said smiling as he drove me over.

“No problem sweetheart.” My dad had always been kinder and more understanding than my mother.  He doesn’t speak up much and is usually at work, but whenever I do get a moment with him I always feel like he loves me.

It was quiet, but not like the angry quiet I usually have with my mother, just a simple one.

We got there and I got really excited.  “Bye dad! Thanks once again.”

“Bye Margret, be good.”  He smiled as I ran inside.

I knocked three times and I heard feet stomping and the door whipped open.  “Margret!” Chelsea yelled. 

“Hi!” I said excitedly. 

“Let’s go!” She grabbed my hand, dragging me inside and took me to Lyn’s room. 

“What’re we doing?  When’s Declan going to be here?”  I asked.  I saw Lyn standing in front of her vanity holding some clothes.

“We’re going to make you look like a normal teenage girl.  With your permission of course.” Lyn said with a big smile.

“Uh…sure.” I said smiling.

“Well we’re about the same size so here.” She handed me a pair of jeans and a blouse, and then shoved me into the bathroom.  “Change into those and let’s see how you look.”

I did as I was told and slipped on the jeans.  Honestly they felt weird since I was so used to wearing dresses and skirts.  They were a little big around my hips, but they still stayed on easily.

I slipped my dress off over my head and put the shirt on. It was black and loose.  The material was thin and the sleeves came down to my elbow, but half the sleeve was an old fashioned thick lace.  I loved it.

I smiled and kept looking at it with the jeans in the mirror.  It was so cute!

I walked out of the bathroom and both girls turned and smiled.  “That looks so perfect on you.” Chelsea said.

“Thank you.  The pants are a little loose though.”

“Oh here, let me get you a belt.”  Lyn dug through her dresser and fished out a brown belt that she tossed to me.

As I put it on I asked again, “So when’s Declan going to be here?”

“Oh he’s already here.” Lyn said smiling.

“What?!”

“He got here while you were in the bathroom.  Chelsea is my door answerer.  Noah got here too.  They’re both downstairs.”

“Oh…I see.  Where’s Quinn?”

“Last minute she said she couldn’t come.  It was weird.” Lyn shrugged.

“Did she say why?” Chelsea asked.

“No, I just told her who was going to be here and she said she actually might not be able to.”

“That’s strange.  We always hang out.”

I spoke up finally.  “Maybe it’s Noah.”

They both looked at me.  “Why would it be him?  Yeah I mentioned that you were going to try and get him to come, but that makes no sense.  She doesn’t know him.”

“Are you sure?” I asked.  Something told me that maybe there was something else going on.  I don’t know how I came to this conclusion, but every once in a while my observational skills kick in and the fact that she suddenly didn’t want to come just because she heard Noah might be coming was weird.  She is always with the rest of us, so he’s the only explanation.

“Yeah, we never hang out with him.”

“You all together don’t, but what if she has before?”

They both stopped short.

“But I may be wrong, I mean she may have just become busy with something else at the last minute.” I shrugged.

“Margret your observational skills are scary.” Chelsea said chuckling.  “For someone who’s never been to a co-ed school you pick up on a lot of stuff.”

I smiled, “I guess that will come in handy.”

“Well, the boys are waiting for us.  Let’s go!” Lyn said smiling.  “Oh and by the way Margret, I asked Declan to come late on purpose because of this.” She smirked.

I blushed, “You are devious.”

“Thanks.” She giggled and we all walked out to the living room.

I saw Noah and Declan sitting next to each other on the couch and my heart picked up. 

They both heard us and turned. 

Declan’s face immediately brightened when he saw me.

“Wow!  Maggie you look beautiful.”

I blushed and looked away, this time he really could see me.

He chuckled, “Come sit down.”

I went over and plopped down next to him. 

“I’m so happy I get finally spend time with you outside of school.” He said.

“I know me too.” I began getting more comfortable.  Even though it has been a little while I can’t help being a little awkward around him.  I’m not entirely sure how I should act.  I obviously like him, but does that mean I should act different?  I wasn’t sure.

I looked over at Noah and he was sitting and talking with Lyn and Chelsea.  He was looking more at ease than usual, but I noticed him playing with his hands and took it at a sure sign of him being slightly nervous.

Suddenly Rosie burst into the room surprising me.  “Would anyone like something to drink or eat?  I’ve made some cookies and some lemonade.  They’re in the kitchen.” She smiled widely.

“I’d like some Rosie.” Declan said.  He then turned to me, “Do you want some?”

“Um…sure.” I went to get up with him, but he pushed me back down.

“Don’t worry, I got it.” He grinned.

My head was swirling and I felt like I was being too weird.  I needed to calm down.  Maybe a cookie will help.

Noah got up too to go get Lyn and Chelsea some cookies and lemonade, which in turn gave Lyn the perfect chance to talk to me.

“So I think you should kiss Declan tonight.”

“What?!” I screeched. 

She chuckled, “We’re watching movies.  It’ll be dark.  Think how nice it’ll be.”

“K-kiss him?!  No, I can’t, I couldn’t…no!”

“Relax Margret, I was half kidding.  I thought I would put that little thought bubble in there though.” She winked.

I just stared at her in horror as the boys came back in.  Kiss him?!  Kiss Declan?! No, I can’t.  It’s way too soon.  We’re not even dating!

Declan handed me my cookie and lemonade.  I looked over at Lyn.  She wiggled her eyebrows at me and I blushed. 

I then looked at Declan and nearly swooned. He looked so…adorable!  He was munching on his cookie and had gotten crumbs all over his face.

After I came too, I giggled. 

“What’s so funny?” He asked.

“You have a little something on your face.”

He touched his face and blushed, quickly wiping the crumbs.

“Hey you turned red.” I pointed out.

“I was embarrassed.” He stated smiling.

“Why?  It was….cute.” I said quietly.  I looked away from his eyes smiling.

“Yes, but ever so improper.  I mean I need to present myself as a gentleman don’t I? And having little cookie crumbs coating my face is no way to do so.”

I giggled, “That is an excellent point sir.”

“Oh and pardon me, it seems you’ve got something right…..there!” He said flicking my forehead.

“Hey!” I exclaimed laughing.

He began laughing too.

“Yo! Love birds, let’s choose a movie.” Lyn said snapping us out of our bubble.  This time we both reddened together.  “Alright, here’s what I have.” Lyn laid out all the movies on the floor.  Some looked scary, some looked cheesy, some looked kind of stupid.  The one that I saw that looked the most interesting was Pride and Prejudice.  I’d read the book and loved it.

The boys shot down that one almost immediately though.  I sighed and did not really care what they picked.  I hadn’t watched many movies, so any one they picked would be new to me.

Finally one was decided on.  I didn’t think I’d like it very much since it seemed super futuristic and science fiction-like.  Those weren’t really my kind of movies.

When it started and began going though I was so immersed I didn’t even realize that Declan had nonchalantly wrapped his arm around the back of me until our little intermission.

Lyn got up and turned the lights on and I looked over at Declan and quickly realized the situation I was in.  My heart picked up.  What if he tries to kiss me tonight?! No, he wouldn’t…

It’s not that I don’t want to kiss him…it’s that…I don’t know how.  I’ve never even seen kissing on television.  Only read it in books and I can imagine, but it’s difficult.  And I’ve seen couples do it from a distance, but I still am nervous.  What if I miss?!  What if I’m terrible at kissing?! 

My head was spinning until Lyn knocked my out of my frightening thoughts.  “So Margret, how do you like the movie so far?”

“Oh! I really like it!  It’s very interesting.  What’s it called again?”

“Tron.”

“Yes, I didn’t think I would enjoy this much.”

“I didn’t think you’d be paying that much attention.” She said giving me a sly wink. 

I’ve never actually felt the need to hit someone.  I love Lyn, but for a minute I actually wanted to reach over and smack her.

I looked up at Declan who was laughing and chatting with Chelsea.  He still had his arm around the back of me.  For a minute I just looked at the situation I was in and realized I was a normal teenage girl.  I had the guy I like here with his arm around me.  My girl friends and a guy that liked one of them here that I was trying to get her with.  It was so beautifully typical.

I felt happy.

**The last paragraph was funky to write so I hope you understand what I was saying:) So the songs I usually post with the chapter are just ones I'm listening to as I post it lol just thought I'd say that.  Let me know what you think of this chapter.  I promise that more interesting conflict is coming.  If any of you have read my stories you know that not everything is as it seems ;) hehe Peace!**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 560 63
There are few things that humble Allie Carson. As a senior, she is a central part of the popular crowd and can have any guy she wants - and she knows...
77.8K 3.9K 40
[WATTY'S 2022 SHORTLIST!] Marley Miller and Daniel Gold grew up going to camp together. They experienced each other's awkward teenage years, pulled p...
4.1K 313 30
Harper Gregory just wants to graduate and get out of the picture-perfect suburb of Westbrook, Minnesota. She's tired of pretending to be the perfect...
47.1K 1.8K 52
She had never meant anything to him Until she meant everything to him *** Sylvia Hale is ready to start a new life. Finally, she is in Merlac Unive...