Regrets and Mistakes

By murphyyy_xo

Secrets are meant to be kept secret, but some manage to surface. Unfortunately this has happened to Christen... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty - one
Twenty - Two
Twenty - Three
Twenty - Four
Twenty - Five
Twenty - Six
Twenty - Seven
Twenty - Eight
Twenty - Nine
Thirty
Thirty - One
Thirty - Four
THE SEQUEL

Seven

6.8K 130 28
By murphyyy_xo

Christen's POV
It's been great having Rachel around. She lights up everyone's moods. Especially now in the locker room. She's laughing away with Crystal, Mal, Pinoe and Jules. Everyone else is in their zone. I looked at Rach and saw looking at Hope. She excused herself from the girls and walked over to her. Hope hasn't been herself since the flight here and everyone knows it. She isn't opening up to Carli and we're all worried. Everyone is looking at Hope and Rachel now.

Hope's POV
I saw Rachel making her way towards me and my mood lightened. She came over and sat on my lap and smiled. I chuckled at her and held her close into me.

"Hi."
"Hey."
"You know there's free seats around the entire place and you choose to sit on my lap. May I ask why?"
"Can't a girl sit on her friends lap without being asked any questions?"
"Nope."
"I was just checking up on you to see if you're okay. We haven't talked in a while."
"Rach we talked yesterday and I was sitting with you at breakfast this morning. We talked at breakfast as well actually. How much more talking are we gonna do?"
"Not that kind of talking smart ass."
"Should've been more specific then. Wanna stay with me tonight?"
"Do well today and maybe we'll discuss it."
"So what you're saying is that I need to win you over for you to stay with me?"
"Yes that is exactly what I'm saying."

I chuckled at her. I pushed her off me and she fell to the ground. Everyone looked at me in disbelief and Cass crawled over to her and sat in her lap.

"I'll get you back. Better watch out."
"Damn Hope. She has your glare already."

We all chuckled and they went back to doing their own thing. I leaned forward and kissed the top of Rachel's head and giggled.

"Well geez, I love you too.."
"I love you Rach."
"Excuse me."

She picked Cass off her lap and ran out of the locker room. They all looked at me in confusion. I was about to stand up but the door opened and Jill walked in.

"Warm ups in ten ladies."

Rachel's POV
This is getting too much. This whole idea of mom taking me back was a mistake. Jill caught up with me before I could go far.

"What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Rach?"
"I can't be here. I need space for a while. I'll be back at the hotel if they ask."
"Where will you be really?"
"I saw a park on our way here. I'm going to go sit there for a while. Please don't tell them."
"Call me, and only me, if something goes wrong okay? I don't want anyone to worried."
"Yes ma'am. Thank you."

She let go and I ran. I ran out of the stadium. I ran straight to the park and ignored all the calls and messages my phone was vibrating with. I found a bench by the water and sat down. It was five in the evening so it was quiet enough. It was peaceful.

I sat for ages and just thought. Thought about my life and how much it's going to change. I don't know of it's for better or for worse.

"Peaceful, isn't it?"

I jumped and turned my head to see Lauren Holiday and Amy Rodriquez sitting beside me. They smiled at me and I looked at them in starstruck.

"At lot more than Carson. That's for sure."
"You're probably wondering how we found you huh?"
"It's just a thought, yes."
"Well we were here for the game. We were meant to surprise the girls afterwards but then Jill called. She knew something was going to happen either during or after the game so she called us."
"Full of predictions when we don't need her to be."

I chuckled at them and dropped my head. I looked at my hands and played with them. Lauren reached over and took one of them in hers and squeezed it.

"She called us to come find you before the game but to give you some time to cool off before doing so. So we stayed until halftime and then came here."
"Have I been gone that long?"
"Longer. We couldn't find you for a good fifteen minutes."
"Sorry."
"Don't be. As long as you're okay then that's all that matters to us."

One of their phones started ringing and Lauren pulled out hers.

"I'll be back. I gotta take this."

She stood up and walked away from us. Amy scooted closer to me and we looked out at the city. I closed my eyes and let out a sigh.

"What happened? Back at the stadium."
"They all care so much and I hardly know them and-."
"Now you're afraid you'll lose them so you're scared to trust and open up to them."
"How did you know?"
"I watch a lot of Law and Order."

I laughed at her and looked at her. She smiled at me and grabbed one of my hands.

"You and Christen are really alike. More than you two actually realise. If you're feeling like this, imagine how she must be feeling."
"I should probably go talk to her."
"I think that's a good idea. Come on, we'll take you."

Lauren walked over and smiled. Amy and I both stood up. We walked together towards the hotel. Just as we left the park my phone started ringing. I pulled it out to see it was Tobin calling me.

"It's Tobin."
"Answer it. She's worried."

Me; Hi Tobs.
Tobin; Oh thank god you're okay. Where are you? We're all worried sick about you.
Me; I'll be at the hotel in ten minutes. Don't tell them please. I don't want them to ask me what's wrong.
Tobin; I'll be waiting on the bench outside the hotel for you. If you're not here in ten minutes I'll tell Chris or worse, Alex.
Me; You wouldn't.
Tobin; Oh but I would. Ten minutes Rach.

I smiled after she hung up. Amy chuckled at her childlessness. It took only five minutes, and like Tobin said, she was sitting on the bench on her phone. I ran towards her and jumped onto her. She screamed but hugged me back.

"I missed you."
"I missed you too Toby. I'm sorry I missed the game."
"As long as you're okay then that's all that matters."
"I'm okay. I had two lovely women help me. I think you know them really well. Ladies."

I got off of her and she turned her head. She jumped up and ran to Lauren and Amy. They hugged her back. I smiled at them and then turned to face the hotel. I sat on the bench and put my head in my hands and sighed. I pulled out my phone and went into mom's contact. I pressed call and brought the phone up to my ear and stood up.

Mom; Hello?
Me; Hey.
Mom; Where are you Rach? You haven't been answering anyone's calls or messages. They're all worried.
Me; I'm fine. I'm with Tobin.
Mom; Good. Look, Rach, we need to talk about what happened earlier. Please come back so we can.
Me; I'm scared mom. I just need time. I'll talk to you later.

I hung up and wiped my eyes. I turned to look at the three and saw they didn't notice me. I slowly walked away and then sprinted. I ended up at the pier. I decided to go on the Ferris wheel. I bought a ticket and got in line. I got onto my cart and relaxed. It took a while but I was at the top. The ride stopped and it was peaceful. The city looked beautiful. It was all lit up by lights. I took out my phone and went into camera. I took a picture of it and looked at it. I smiled and locked my phone. After a few minutes I got off the ride and walked along the pier. I got tired and began walking back up the pier. I froze in place when I saw Alex and Kelley. I made eye contact with Alex and she ran straight towards me. She looked all over my body for cuts and bruises and it made me smile that she cared so much.

"Why are you smiling?"
"Because you care. You genuinely care."
"Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?"

I looked down at my hands. I felt them beginning to shake and I shut my eyes tight and let the tears fall. I heard Alex sigh.

"Oh Rach."

She wrapped her arms around me and held me tight. She put her chins on my head and rubbed my back. I cried into her chest.

"I'm here now. I'll always care about you. Christen isn't like her. She loves you so much. She cares about you so much. We all do. You changed our lives for the better. I know this is hard but if you give us a chance we will help you."
"Why couldn't you adopt me?"

I felt her tense against me and I pulled away. She wouldn't make eye contact with me and I took a step back. I thought about everything that happened the past few days and then it hit me, you need two people to sign an adoption cert, especially when a mother is claiming back her child.

"You already did, didn't you?"
"I can explain."
"Were you going to tell me?"
"Eventually yes I was. Please let me explain."
"You lied to me."
"Lying is pushing it. I didn't lie. I just didn't tell you the whole truth."

I brushed past her and began running. I ignored her and Kelley's calls and kept running. All the way back to the hotel. I ran past everyone in the lobby and up the stairs to the third floor. I ran down to mom's room and knocked on the door. I heard shuffling from behind and it opened and Tobin appeared. She opened the door wider and I walked in. I walked in and looked right at mom and I felt my eyes water. She stood up and walked towards me but I held my hands up.

"Why!"
"Why what?"
"Why didn't you tell me she signed the papers as well?"
"Let me explain-"
"Explain what? Why, why, why you, you left me in the first place? Why why you signed the papers? Why I'm even here?"

I stormed out of the room and slamming the door shut behind me. The elevator door opened and Alex and Kelley stepped out. We all froze in our steps. I turned and began to walk the other way when mom stepped out as well. I was stuck in the between the middle of them. I closed my eyes and balled my fists. My phone started ringing and I sighed. I pulled it out and answered it without looking at the ID. I heard deep breaths coming from the other line.

Uncle Jason; It's just me. I know you're pissed but I'm doing this to protect you.
Me; You didn't have to leave so soon.
Uncle Jason; I know, I'm sorry. I needed to get out of there.
Me; And I didn't? Yeah you lost your brother and nephew but imagine how I'm feeling Jason? I lost my best friend. I lost a woman who, no matter how much I despise her now, was my mother and treated me like her daughter. I lost my dad. The only man I left close enough to see the real me. So I'm sorry if all of this got too much for me but fuck you Jason. I lost them too. I lost them and I lost Theo and Marjorie.
Uncle Jason; Rachel I-
Me; No, you know what Jason? You do what you do best. This time around I'm not waiting for you to come back. Goodbye Jason.
Uncle Jason; Rachel don't do thi-

I hung up and smashed my phone of the wall opposite to me. I slid down against it and brought my legs up to my chest and cried harder. I felt two people sit on either side of me but I shut my eyes tight and tried to stop crying. I could feel my body shutting off all emotions and I stopped crying. I lifted my head to see Mom and Alex looking at me with puffy eyes.

I stood up and walked away from them. I walked into the room I was sharing with mom and Tobin and walked straight to my bag, ignoring everyone in there. I started putting everything into my bag.

"Rachel, what are you doing?"
"Getting away from here."
"Where will you go?"
"As far as possible away from here."

I zipped my bag shut and flung it on my back. I brushed past Tobin, mom and Alex and out of the room again. I was nearly at the elevator when I felt someone grab my wrist. I turned around abruptly and stood tall. Alex looked at me with tears falling down her face.

"Don't do this. Please don't do this."
"Let go of me."
"Rach-"
"No. I trusted you. I told you everything and all I got back was dishonesty. If this is what I get for trying..."

I walked away from her and to the stairs. I pushed open the door and ran down them. I walked out of the hotel. I crossed the street and walked through the city of Atlanta. I weaved through the crowds of people in the streets. It was really busy for this late at night. I was just about to cross the road again when all of a sudden I heard the screeching of tires. I turned just as the headlights got too bright. Everything went black.

Christen's POV
It's been hours since we've last heard from Rachel. Some of the girls are checking the streets, others are walking around the parks and Alex and I are sitting in my room waiting. She hasn't called or isn't answering anyone's calls. My phone started ringing and I jumped for it and answered it without looking at the ID.

Me; Hello?
Hospital; Hello, may I speak with Christen Press?
Me; This is she.
Hospital; Hello Miss Press. There's been an accident. A hit and run to be more precise. Your daughter Rachel was the victim. I highly suggest you come here as fast as you can and we'll discuss the details in person.

I hung up and jumped off the bed. Alex figured something was wrong and put on her shoes as well. We ran out of the hotel room and down the stairs.

"What happened Christen?"
"Rachel got hit by a car. She's in the hospital. We need to go there quick."
"It's only a block from here. We'll be faster if we run."

We took off sprinting to the hospital. It only took three minutes to get there. We ran straight up to the front desk.

"Hi, my name's Christen Press. I got a call about my daughter."
"Yes. Dr Alloy should be with you in a minute. Please, take a seat."

Alex and I walked over to the seats and sat down. She began calling the girls one by one. I zoned out and it wasn't until Alex put her hand on my leg that I realised that the doctor was here. He smiled at me and held out his hand.

"Sorry."
"Don't be. I'm Dr Alloy. I was the one that did the surgery."
"Surgery?"
"I'll explain everything in a moment if you'd like to follow me to Rachel's room."

I nodded and Alex and I both stood up and followed him.

"What exactly happened?"
"Witnesses say that Rachel was just about to cross the road when a car came out of no where and sped towards her. She didn't realise until the second she got hit. Luckily for her there was no serious organ damage but her leg fibula and tibia completely shattered with the impact which is why I had to do the surgery. We had to put some bolts in there to help restructure it."
"How is she?"
"She's not speaking to any of us. She woke up a few minutes ago and hasn't said a word."

He stopped outside a door and knocked. He opened it and walked in opening the door for us to walk in.

"Rachel, your mother is here. I'll leave you three alone."

Alex and I both thanked him and walked further into the room. I walked over and sat on the chair beside the bed and looked at her. She stared up at the ceiling and I could see the tears falling. Alex walked over and took one of her hands in hers and Rachel shut her eyes.

"Rach, look at me."

Rachel opened her eyes and turned her head to look at me. I stood up and sat on the edge on the bed and rubbed her cheek with my thumb.

"Like I said I said before, I left you once.
I prom-"
"Promise you won't leave my side again."
"I promise I won't leave you side again."

I leaned forward and kissed the top of her head. She took my hand and laced our fingers together. I smiled and rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb. I looked at Alex and saw she was looking down at her and Rachel's hands.

"I'm sorry we never told you about it Rach. I guess we didn't know how you'd react."

She looked down at our hands and I looked at Alex. She frowned and I saw her shoulders drop. We sat in silence for ages, just waiting for Rachel to speak up first. I could see Alex was slowly breaking down by the second. Rachel looked up and stared at the wall.

"Rach please say something."
"Welcome to motherhood."

She looked between Alex and I and we both realised a breath of relief. I leaned in and hugged Rachel tight into me. I pulled away and we both looked at Alex.

"What?"
"You're family now. You gotta be a part of our family hug."

I held my arm out and she chuckled. She leaned in and we hugged her close. There was a knock on the door and we let go to see some of the girls walking in. They all gathered around the bed and smiled.

Rachel's POV
Alex got off the bed and went to talk to some of the girls. Mom stayed by my side and hasn't let go of my hand. The girls were broken off into groups like they are at breakfast and laughing away.

"Scoot over kid."

I moved over the best I could and mom climbed onto the bed. She wrapped her arms around me and I put my head against her chest. I felt her kiss the back of my head and I sighed in content. She began running her hands through my hair and I closed my eyes. I felt her vibrating against me and I thought she was crying but then I heard her humming. Her humming turned to soft singing so only I could hear.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you so please don't take my sunshine away."

I lifted my head so I could look at her. She looked down at me and smiled. She leaned down and kissed my forehead and carried on running her hand through my hair.

"Mom?"
"Yeah sweetie?"
"How long am I out for?"
"I don't know Rach. We'll get you back as soon as we can. I know soccer is your life and all bu-"
"It's not not. Not anymore at least."
"Rach you live to play soccer."
"I also love to be your daughter and right now, that is what matters most to me. I've put you through so much in such a short period of time and I'm sorry. No one should have to go through it. I'm really sorry."
"Hey, Rach, look at me."

I looked at her and she smiled. She cupped my face with her hands and wiped away my tears. I didn't even realise I was crying until she did that.

"You, my daughter, are the best thing I've ever I did. You are absolutely perfect."
"You've got incredible skills."
"A kind heart."
"A hot temper."
"Most importantly, you've got an amazing family."

I looked at all of them in the room and smiled. Mom wrapped her arms around me and held me tight.

"Ohana means family."
"Kling!"
"Family means no one gets left behind."

We all looked at the door. I smiled when I saw Jill. She closed the door behind her and we all looked at her.

"This is why we are the number one team in the world. You're not only world class athletes but you're a family. Not every team has that. This is just one of the many examples of how close we really are. I'm so proud of you ladies. Each and everyone of you."

We all sat around and talked for hours. The doctors allowed them to stay passed visiting hours but it was nearly midnight and I had to get some sleep. They all said goodbye and left. All but two. Mom and Alex. I told them they could go back to the hotel but wouldn't listen so now here we are. A girl and her mom's.

"What's going to happen after this?"
"What do you mean?"
"I know I'm gonna be living with you but how am I gonna see Alex?"
"Well we've talked about it and you're gonna be staying with Christen for 3/4 of the year. Once you go back to school, I'll get you at breaks. Christen will come and spend Christmas with us too."
"And you'll get to see her at camps and when the Red Stars beat Pride."
"Oh you wish."

I giggled at them and they laughed along. Mom looked at her phone and I saw her facial expression change slightly.

"Alright missy, it's past your bedtime and you need sleep. It's been a long day."
"But mom-"
"I don't want to hear it. We have all day tomorrow to talk."
"A whole lifetime too."
"Goodnight Rachel."
"Night mom. Night Alex."
"Night kid."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

412K 7.3K 52
Sage is 17 and her life has taken a turn for the worse ever since she lost her father. Her mother has become abusive and hasn't let Sage out of the h...
11K 379 18
hi everyone this is my first story and plus english is not my mother tongue so sorry for the grammatical mistakes and the spelling mistakes I hope...
3K 87 6
Taylor Marshall is 15 years old. Her mother died when she was 5 years old in a car accident so she lives with her abusive father who is constantly...
181K 3.6K 63
Karima has been through a lot . But she doesn't want you to know that. Raised in an abusive household unable to distinguish right or wrong, Karima ca...