Shadows and Lights

By ReturnTriumphant

Alex Heights got more than she bargained for when she agreed to study abroad at Teiko. Time finds her attendi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 26

100 7 0
By ReturnTriumphant

There are a few things that surpass the comfort of my futon. One is Tetsuya's bed, which is fluffy and wonderful and warm (I promise I found that out by accident and not by being a complete weirdo). Another is the hugs that Ryouta and Atsushi gave me on a daily basis. But that which surpasses all of those is what I'm experiencing now. The tall, grumpy, ill-mannered Daiki provides all the comfort I need.

My head rests against his chest as I sit between his legs, reclining against him as the TV prattles on and on about a new drama. I wonder if Daiki can feel the way my heartbeat is steady and unafraid. I wonder if he knows that I can tell his pulse is just a little faster than normal. Daiki rests his chin on the top of my head and wraps his arms around me. I make a noise of contentment, relaxing the tension that keeps me alert.

We have unexpected rain today, and it roars against the windowpanes, screaming across my balcony. I'm just glad to be inside. Twenty minutes ago Daiki and I stumbled through the door, dripping all across my floors. I'm still half-soaked, trying to suppress the shivers that race down my spine. "Go take a bath." Daiki mutters as I burrow into him more thoroughly. I make a dying animal noise that hopefully voices my displeasure in all ways possible. "Take it," He groans as I cling to him. "or I'll go in and take one with you."

I groan loudly. "Daiki, you're so mean to me." It takes me a long while to shuffle to the bedroom, stripping off my socks and my jacket and half my shirt before grabbing my sleepwear and a towel.

"Your shirt is see-through, Alex!" Daiki calls as I waltz into the bathroom.

"Thanks for mentioning it earlier, Daiki!" I hiss through the door, irritation threatening to make me snap at him. I don't like moving when I'm cold. I'd rather just curl up against him and steal his body heat, but that's apparently not an option.

The water of the shower is nothing short of scalding as it washes over my head. It's good like this, I think. It brings a sense of warmth flowing back into my veins. The air seems increasingly cool around me. As I towel off, the mirror only offers me a blurred mixture of colors instead of my reflections. I look down hesitantly as I towel off, mainly to dry my legs, but notice the four short lines that are very pink and very bold. I wince visibly before slipping into my sleepwear.

"Daiki, you can shower now and stuff." I say as I open the door, a cloud of steam exploding into the hall in my wake. Daiki merely raises an eyebrow, staring at me and my steam in what I'll pretend is wonder.

"How could you even breathe with that much steam?" He asks as I wrap the towel around my hair and slump into the sofa. I shrug.

"I didn't really notice it." I say sheepishly. Daiki vanishes into the bathroom with some clothes and hopefully a towel before I turn the TV on again. Channel surfing is not one of my strong points, but boredom drives me to pursue it. My stomach rumbles, so I try to decide whether to cook or order takeout. The latter seems much more promising, and much faster, so I order takeout and write a note to myself as a reminder to apologize to my boss for all my missed days of work since joining basketball. 

Today I'm not at basketball practice. This is one of my many future softball-days, and being introduced to so many new people with new names that I haven't entirely memorized is a little stressful. Coach Wantanabe is much more relaxed than my previous coach, and he actually teaches and gives feedback, instead of screaming at me. 

My throw downs aren't quite as good as they used to be, but there isn't much to improve. After a few throws, I'm back in the swing of things, watching how my new teammates interact with each other. They all seem friendly and sweet, like Mizuki and Haruna and Kagome were. Thankfully, they're also very much relaxed. Not in a bad way, mind you. Teiko girls tended to play because they wanted to say they did or because they wanted to win. Touou girls still want to win, it's probably what holds this team together in some ways, but they also know how to joke around and have fun. I haven't been a part of a team like this in a few years. 

"Hai-chan! Is it okay if I call you that?" This pitcher is sweet. Sweet and gentle, but tough as nails. 

"Sure." I supply, shrugging casually as I slap on my chest protector. I'm not hoping for a starting position. I'm just hoping for a chance to play. I trust this coach not to overwork me, especially since Coach Harasawa isn't cutting me any slack. Oh well. It can't really be helped either way. "Sorry, I can't remember names well. Would you remind me of yours?" 

"My name's Hayashi Honoka." She says. Hayashi's a pretty girl, that's for sure. I'm almost jealous. I almost call her by her first name as she grins at me, but manage to keep my mouth shut. Practice seems especially easy, but I guess that's because nobody's trying to drive their teammates out of their positions. I can only hope that the previous catcher won't be angry with me for using her position. 

I'll be the first to admit that these girls have exceeded my expectations. They're all talented from what I can see, and they work together well. "Hai-chan, you're up." Coach Wantanabe says, motioning to the machine. I shed my gear, grab my helmet, gloves, and bat, and move to measure up at the plate so I can take batting practice. 

If this coach knows anything about me, he'll realize that I can, and will, place hit on demand. I'm almost certain he knows, especially since he merely points in a direction and feeds me the ball. I adjust my swing accordingly. 

The ball will always go where I want it. Whether it's hitting, throwing, pitching, or fielding, I can dictate the movements of where it'll go with miniscule adjustments. It's something that I learned at Teiko, after working my ass off for several summers. My predictions of where hits will go are fairly accurate. I don't hit for long, just long enough for Wantanabe to get a good idea of my skill level, before I return to catching, and later, moving around to other positions. 

Catching is my primary position. It has been for several years, and I wouldn't give anything to change that. Reality says, however, that I am a utility player. I've played every position, and I like to think I've mastered each one. I don't have the height for first, but I can catch, and I can jump, and I can stretch. Third base makes use of my arm fairly well. Outfield as well. 

Practice goes on for another hour or so before Coach calls it a day and we're left to clean up the field. "Hai-chan, come over here, will you?" He calls as I help pack up team gear. I nod and jog over, watching and reading his expression carefully. The last thing I need is to piss him off, especially since this team seems like one I could fully enjoy. "What did you think of practice?" 

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "I'm not sure I understand your question." I say in return, my eyes slightly narrowed. "Could you rephrase it?" 

"Sure." Coach replies, laughing slightly. "How was your first practice?" My eyes seem a little wide for this question. Nobody's asked me that in three years. 

"It was fun." As they tumble from my mouth, the words seem shy but confident. "I'm glad I could come." He offers me a smile in return. 

"Good." I'm not sure what he was looking for, but it seems he's found it. I go back to helping pick up gear and clearing the field with the others. My gear goes in the shed with everyone else's, something that almost surprises me. 

"Hai-chaaan!" A familiar voice comes blaring from across the field, followed swiftly by a resounding, "Satsuki, stay off the damn field!" Hayashi raises an eyebrow at me, glancing at the no doubt infamous duo that lies in wait for me. With everything away, I'm free to change and meet up with the blue- and pink-haired duo. 

"Daiki? Satsuki? What're ya doin' here?" I ask, coming closer to the fence so we can talk at a normal conversational level. 

"I wanted to see how you were doing!" The pinkette chirps, her hands grabbing the fence. "You're done, right? Daiki wouldn't stop comp-" 

"Shut up, Satsuki." Daiki growls, squeezing the top of her head gently. I raise an eyebrow but make no comment. 

"Yeah, we're done. I'll change and be out in a couple minutes." It takes me around five minutes to change back into my uniform and meet the arguing pair out in front of the lockers. "He causing you trouble, Satsuki?" I say teasingly. 

Satsuki giggles and waves me over. "Ne, ne, Akashi-kun wanted to talk to you." She says cheerfully. "He didn't sound as scary as usual." Either something real good is about to happen, or I'm about to get murdered. Probably the latter. 

I dial Sei's number reluctantly, walking with the two club members out of school and down to the nearest convenience store so I can stock up on snacks for the next week or two and escape the nighttime air. "Akashi." Sei's voice is calm, like always, but not intimidating. I raise an eyebrow. 

"It's Alex. I heard you wanted to speak with me..." 

"Yes." He says calmly. "It's been a while since you had that game with Kirisaki Daiichi." I nod slightly. 

"Yes. A while now." I confirm, paying for my snacks and thanking the cashier. "Did you have a question?" 

"I want you to tell me what happened with Hanamiya Makoto." My body tenses. I hold onto my bag more tightly. "After the Haizaki incident, I won't let this one slide." My eyes narrow at the sentence. 

"I don't want to talk about it." I reply icily. "And I didn't need a reminder of that time." Dark eyes dark eyes dark eyes. 

"What happened with Hanamiya Makoto, Alex?" Sei's always been unusually persistent in these sorts of things. "You ended up in the hospital again. We're not letting this slide. I couldn't get anything out of Satsuki and Daiki because nobody but you was there." I bite back a venomous reply and glare hatefully at a man who won't stop staring at Satsuki. 

"I don't want to discuss this, Seijuurou. It's done, it's over, and it won't happen again." Daiki's giving me a strange look, like I've said something completely out of character. I give him a rather sour expression in return before turning my attention back to where I'm walking. 

"Alex. It is important that I know." Sei's English startles me, as it always does. "This will not slide. I will find out the truth whether you like it or not." I grit my teeth furiously and try my best not to think of various ways to kill the short redhead. 

"I said I don't want to talk about it, Seijuurou. You should respect that." Ah, my boss is going to kill me. According to my schedule, I'll be late for my first shift this weekend. I'll have to call and tell her tomorrow morning, or after school. Whenever I have time should be fine. It isn't Friday quite yet, so hopefully she won't be mad as long as I tell her ahead of time. Sei growls into the phone. 

"I won't say a word to anyone else." By 'anyone else', Sei mainly means the rest of his beloved Miracles. My teeth are probably grinding audibly by now. 

"I will tell it once, and I will never tell it to you again after that. Is that clear, Sei? This isn't something I want to remember." I hear a noise of approval on the other end, followed by the rustling of paper and a popping noise. If I'm not mistaken, it seems like Sei's about to take notes. 

"Begin." Sei commands, clearing his throat slightly. I sigh loudly. 

"Yeah, fine." I mutter. "We'd just played Kirisaki Daiichi-" I accidentally catch Daiki's attention. "-and all throughout the game he'd been kind of violent. He even had me triple screened for at least a full quarter. Daiki wasn't there, so of course he wouldn't be able to tell you anything. Almost all my teammates got injured or hit several times throughout the game.

"In the end we won, but that was only after Satsuki and I changed our playing strategy so I was doing mostly offense with limited defense and screening. Hanamiya and one of his teammates both fell on me on two different occasions, one of which was responsible for my ankle. 

"After the game was when that incident happened. I'd called Daiki 'cuz I was getting ready to head home. He wasn't here yet when Hanamiya knocked my phone from my hand. I don't know if he heard anything I'd said, or if Daiki could hear what was going on over the phone, but Hanamiya was really... he was pissed. 

"He blamed me for his team losing, and he said he'd make certain players trash by 'breaking' them. I don't know how it started, but all I know is that something, probably his fist, hit my stomach, and I was doubled over. Somehow I ended up on the ground and he just kept kicking me over and over again until Daiki came rushing in and I think the team came out when they heard the weird noises. We went to the nurse, and then the hospital, and that's the long and the short of it."  We cross the street carefully. 

"Thank you." Sei says. I hear scratching noises from the other end. "Did the doctor ask you if you wanted to press charges?" I raise an eyebrow. 

"I was pretty out of it." I say, scratching my head as I try to think back. "I can't recall him asking, but then again I wouldn't really know. What would I do that for?" 

"Assault. Plus it could compensate your school for the bills they paid. You're lucky they covered that." I nod. 

"I know. It's not a bad idea, but I don't want to see him again." Sei must have a strange look on his face. 

"This won't slide. I think it's best to do this." I nearly run into a guy on a bike, who barely dodges me. 

"Can we continue this another time? I almost got run over by a bike. I'll think about it." To be honest, I'm not against pressing charges. That brat deserves to be punished for what he did, but I have other things to think about first. 

"Hai-chan!" Satsuki chirps, holding me half a popsicle. "Want some?" I laugh slightly. 

"Sure, Satsuki." I reply with a smile, taking my half of the cherry-flavored ice. "You really like cherry, don't you?" She nods enthusiastically, almost completely absorbed in what must be a flooding of her favorite flavor. 

The air has grown chilled, but it isn't ridiculously cold. Uncomfortable? Maybe a little, but tolerable. It probably doesn't help that my jacket's at home and my skirt is a little short. It would be better if there weren't any breeze, but the slight gusts that blow through fan warmer air across my face. It isn't unwelcome. 

Of course, deciding to succumb to the temptation of a popsicle wasn't in my best interests. My lips feel frozen after a while and I can no longer feel my tongue. I'm half afraid that if I talk, I'll bite off my tongue and won't notice. The fear is unwarranted, but it exists nonetheless. Soon all I'm left with is the popsicle stick, which I'm about to toss into the trash when Satsuki stops me. "Wait, wait, check the back! Maybe you've won something!" I raise an eyebrow as she speaks.

Although I'm half tempted to humor her, I'm positive that there's nothing on it, and even if I did win, we're too far from the store for me to be willing to go back and get anything. "What did yours say?" I ask, trying to delay the inevitable. Satsuki will get what she wants sooner or later, so I might was well attempt to prolong the time until she does.

The pinkette gives me a look of surprise before offering me her popsicle stick in her open palm. I take it from her, hoping I'm not touching the part that was actually in her mouth. Flipping the thing over doesn't offer me any clues, so I check the part beneath my hand. "There's nothing on this one." I say in surprise, my eyes widening slightly while I feign innocence. The pinkette rolls her eyes at me comically. 

"Of course not, Hai-chan!" Satsuki says. "You have the other half! It'll only be on one half or the other, not both, ya know!" I offer her a grin and polish off the other segment of the popsicle stick. 

"Of course, Satsuki. How could I forget?" Daiki rolls his eyes beside me. He knows I just don't wanna share the status of our popsicle with the pinkette. 

"Just finish your damn popsicle before I take it from you." Daiki says, whacking the back of my head none too gently. I let out an indignant yelp before glaring at him. 

"Rude." I shoot back. "Don't hit girls, Daiki." The bluenette rolls his eyes again. With the popsicle finished, I place it in my palm, letters up. In black ink, the status of our popsicle is glaringly obvious. Loser. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

434K 11.6K 30
The Generation of Miracles was always a force to be reckoned with. No one could beat them at their game, until one little shadow showed up and blew t...
56.6K 2.6K 12
Unlike the Generation of Miracles, he wasn't anyone with special abilities. To say the least, he's just an average guy. But, why are they so drawn to...
527K 14.2K 47
Tsukiko Satoshi is Tetsuya Kuroko's distant relative who comes and lives with him and his sister. She attends Seirin High and joins the basketball te...
488K 12.2K 25
Generation Of Miracles x Reader Apart from Kuroko, there was another rumor about the Generation of Miracles. The rumor was named the phantom girl...