Their Next Chapter

By donmaryfan

This story follows Love is the Best Medicine. I wrote this about 4 years ago. I only have a few chapters of i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85

Chapter 9

1.5K 32 3
By donmaryfan

Meryl was happy when she finally got to go home to her husband. It was a hard movie to shoot. She and Don were so unlike Arnold and Kay; but she liked playing those characters who were unlike her so she could find the similarities. She was even more grateful that she and Don had the relationship they did; and that even after 33 years of marriage they still loved each other as much, actually more, than when they were married. She came through the house calling for him. "Don? I'm home. Sweetheart?" She didn't see the lights on in his studio when she drove up. All of sudden she saw him come through the back door.

"Hey, beautiful." Don gleed as he kissed her on the cheek. "I was hoping to beat you home."

Meryl took off her jacket and put her bag down on the catch all bench in the kitchen while he placed bags on the kitchen counter. "What's all this?"

"See for yourself." He winked as he opened the paper containers.

Meryl's face lit up. "Beef and broccoli? Egg rolls?"

"Wantons." Don winked and then went to the refrigerator. "Pinot. No cooking for you tonight, my love."

Meryl clapped excitedly and then went over to him wrapping her arms around him. "You do love me!"

"As if there was any doubt." He said hugging her tight then he placed a welcome home kiss on her lips and kissed her forehead. "How's my girl? You doing okay?"

Meryl didn't want to worry him. "I'm much better now that I'm home. It's just an emotional movie and I'm so glad you are who you are; that you're my Don Man."

"Me too, my girl." Don winked. "Let's eat."

***

"This is so good." Meryl moaned in delight as they ate.

Don laughed at her. "I don't know if I even get moans like that."

"Oh, yes you do." Meryl winked. "Maybe I can prove it later?"

Don winked at her as they continued to eat. "You can count on it, beautiful. So, tell me about your day? Everything was really okay?"

"Yeah." Meryl was vague. "Still a little jumpy but I'm fine. I've been looking forward to time with you all day. Kay is just so sad."

Don nodded as he poured her some wine. He didn't want to push her about the thing Roy called him about though he was dying to know. He knew she would tell him in her time. "Tell me about it."

"Kay and Arnold are just so different than Meryl and Don." Meryl smiled.

Don raised his eyebrows. "We're better, right?"

"Much MUCH better." Meryl laughed. "They don't talk or touch; you read the script."

Don laughed. "We are better. I'm pretty proud of that."

"Me too, Don Man." Meryl smiled at him. "How was your day?"

Don didn't want to tell her that after Roy called he lost focus. "Pretty productive. Got the billing done. Website is updated. I'm just looking forward to a relaxing night in with my beautiful wife."

"I'm so glad I got off early." Meryl sighed relaxedly. "Only a few more weeks."

Don smiled. "Then back to New York."

"As long as I'm with you then I'm happy." Meryl said squeezing his hand.

Don was relieved that she seemed so relaxed. "Me too; now eat up. I have a night of movie watching and cuddling on the couch planned."

***

"I love that movie." Meryl smiled as The Breakfast Club was coming to an end.

Don nodded. "Remember the first time we watched it?"

"Of course." Meryl smiled. "One of our date nights in when we had just Hen and Mamie."

Don winked at her. "But you were pregnant with Grace."

"I was pregnant a lot, Gummer." Meryl teased as she got up.

"I'm pretty proud of that." Don said as she got up when the ending credits started to roll. "What are you doing?"

Meryl started dancing to the song Don't You Forget About Me. "Come on, Gummer. You love this song."

"No way. Not going to happen." Don laughed as he sat back, his hands locked, cradling the back of his head, as he watched his wife dance like some crazy teenager.

Hey, hey, hey ,hey
Oh
Won't you come see about me?
I'll be alone, dancing you know it baby
Tell me your troubles and doubts
Giving me everything inside and out and
Love's strange so real in the dark
Think of the tender things that we were working on
Slow change may pull us apart
When the light gets into your heart, baby

"What's the matter, old man?" Meryl teased. "Don't think you can keep up with your young and energetic wife?"

Don jumped up and threw her over his shoulder. "I'll show you how I can keep up, baby cakes." Don said with a smack to her ass.

"Don!" Meryl was giggling in delight. "Put me down! I don't want you to get hurt!!"

Don practically ran up the stairs, thankful for the new hip and knee. "Are you calling me old, woman?"

"Yes." Meryl said then giggled when he smacked her ass. "I mean no."

Don finally got to the bedroom and pushed her against the door once he closed it. "I'll show you old."

"Don!" Meryl moaned into his mouth as he placed the most needy and wet kiss on her lips. A kiss she felt as her nipples tightened and she felt herself immediately grow wet for him. "Oh, God."

Don's mouth trailed from her lips to the v-neck of her dress. "You know what I'm going to do?"

"Huh?" Meryl was losing all train of thought.

Don's hand slipped underneath her dress and rubbed on the cotton panel of her lace underwear at her core. "I'm going to fuck you...hard. I'm going to make you forget about any younger man." Don then stepped back and threw his arms up in the air causing her to give him a look as he started dancing. "DON'T YOU...FORGET ABOUT ME! DON'T....DON'T YOU...FORGET ABOUT ME."

"You're a goof ball, Donald Gummer." Meryl laughed loudly at her husband but then pulled him back to her by the collar of his open shirt. 

Don smirked as he went back to his earlier position and was placing kisses all over her neck as his thumb pressed on the nub that always got her going. "Your goof ball?"

"Always." Meryl moaned into his mouth as she brought his head back up to hers. "Don...Don..."

Don's free hand had slipped into the top of her dress and caressed her nipples over the fabric of her bra. "What baby?"

"Touch me." She breathed as she shoved his hand into her panties.

Don unbuttoned her dress and pulled the cup of her bra down and his mouth began mating with her nipple and his fingers pleasured her. He didn't know the last time he had felt her so loose and ravenous. It made him painfully hard. "How's this, wild thing?"

"Holy fuck, DON!" Meryl screamed as she coated his fingers with her pleasure and she wrapped her leg around his waist. "YES, BABY!"

Don removed his mouth and fingers and lifted her so her legs were wrapped around his waist and he nuzzled her breasts with his face. "Come on, hot stuff, I am far from done with you."

***

"You." Meryl collapsed on her husband trying to catch her breath. "Are not old, husband of mine."

Don's hands ran up and down her back and settled on the swell of her ass as his lips kissed along her sweaty forehead. "Gotta keep up with my young and sexy as hell wife."

"Your wife is trying to keep up with her gorgeous as hell husband." Meryl sighed as she summoned enough energy to take her place in bed.

Don held Meryl close to him as he wrapped the sheets around him. "Don't you...forget about me."

"Never." Meryl whispered with a kiss to his chest. "How do you always know just what I need?"

Don shrugged as he smiled into her hair. "It's my job."

"I felt something today." Meryl said out of the blue, ready to bring her husband into the loop.

Don couldn't help but laugh. "You're not the only one, baby."

"No." She laughed as she turned onto her side to face him; then she became serious. "On set today, I felt that creepy feeling."

Don nodded for her to continue. He knew when she was ready she would tell him. "Can you tell me about it?"

"I didn't call you because I didn't want to worry you." Meryl said oblivious to his and Roy's conversation. "It's silly."

Don shook his head as he tucked her sweaty hair behind her ear and kissed her bare shoulder.  "Nothing is silly when it comes to you and how you're feeling. You can tell me."

"I know." Meryl said kissing his lips as she ran her hand up and down his arm. "I was talking to Roy outside of my trailer and I felt this weird feeling, creepy and unsettling feeling. I only remember feeling it once before."

Don held his breath; afraid of what she was going to say. "When?"

"30 years ago when Mann first made an appearance and we think he was watching Henry and me at the Farmer's Market." Meryl said knowing Don knew that she was referencing. "It felt like someone was watching me but I didn't see anyone. Roy could tell I was distracted and I kept telling him I was fine. He said I better be because you would kill him if he let anything happen to your girl."

"Damn straight." Don said seriously with a kiss to her lips. "You're really okay, though?"

Meryl nodded. "I am; no one was around. I am just so jumpy. I feel like I did both times with..."

"Me too, sweetheart." Don sighed. "I felt that way all day-jumpy and wondering how you were doing."

Meryl knew he did. "I know; we have to live our lives, though."

"We do." Don said in agreement. "We just keep doing what we're doing?"

Meryl smiled at him as she nodded. "I sure do love you, Gummer."

"I love you, Gummer." Don said holding her close after she turned off the light and decided to sing to make her laugh. "Don't you...forget about me."

Meryl laughed as she kissed his lips. "Never."

***

The next night Don and Meryl were sitting down to dinner as the house phone rang. It had hardly rang since the strange phone calls several days ago. Don pushed Meryl back down as he stood up to get it. He first looked at the caller ID and then looked at Meryl. "It's Tom." Meryl smiled and nodded as he sat back down with the phone.

"Go ahead and answer." Meryl said.

Don pointed to her food for her to go ahead and eat as he answered the phone. "Hey, Tom. How are you and the kids?"

"Hey, Don." Meryl and Don's friend Tom said on the other end. Tom and his late wife, Diane, were long time friends of Dona and Meryl's. Tom became friends with them when he first started dating Diane as Meryl and Diane had been best friend's since college. "We're doing okay. School just started back up which is good."

Don laughed. "We were always happy to see September roll around with our kids; still are with Lou."

"Yeah; I hear ya." Tom took a deep breath. "Listen, I got a really strange phone call that I think you should know about."

Don nodded a she looked at Meryl. "What kind of phone call? Reporter?"

"I really don't know; this person said he had an vested interest in you." Tom began. "I tried to call the number back but it was disconnected."

Don shook his head as he grabbed Meryl's hand that was laying on the table; she hadn't picked up her fork since the conversation began. "What were the questions? What did he say?"

"He first said that he was a person that had a vested interest in you and your family. He was concerned if you were happy. He asked if Meryl really loved you and if rumors of her repeatedly cheating on you were true." Tom began.

Meryl became concern when she saw how red Don's face got. "Don?"

"He also asked where you were living." Tom said from his Manhattan apartment.

Don picked up Meryl's hand and kissed it as he gave her a small smile. "Yet, he wouldn't tell you who he was or why he was asking?"

"No." Tom said. "I probably should have hung up; but I didn't want rumors to swirl around so I answered. I always wanted to see if I could get a sense of who he was or what he was up to."

Don nodded. "But you didn't get a sense? What did you say?"

"No, I have no idea who he is or what he is up to." Tom said. "First of all, I refused to give your addresses. I was honest and told him how much you and Meryl love each other. That those fucking rumors are just that...RUMORS. I told him you and Meryl have never been happier or more in love. At least that's how you were the last time we had dinner."

Don leaned over and gave her a quick peck as he could see the worried look on her face. "We still are. We got a few strange phone call several days ago but nothing else has happened; until now. Thank you for letting us know; I really appreciate it. I'm sorry you were pulled into whatever this is. One more question...did he sound younger or older?"

"I just want you, M and your family to be safe. I'm sorry whatever this is is happening." Tom began. "He sounded older. He actually sounded like an older version of you."

Don shook his head. "What in the fuck is going on? That is exactly what M said the first time he called. He hung up soon as I got on the phone and I warned him not to mess with her; then he called back a little while later and I answered and he hung up. When I called the number back it had been disconnected and Larry couldn't track it down."

"Anything I can do?" Tom asked.

Don shook his head. "No, I need to talk to M about all this. Thank you for calling; I really hope you're not bothered again. I'm sorry for all this."

"Not your fault. I would do anything for your family." Tom said.

Don took a drink from his wine glass. "We would for yours as well. Give our godchildren hugs from us. Talk soon. Bye, Tom."

"What? What's wrong? What happened?" Meryl asked taking both of Don's hands in hers.

Don leaned over and gave her a long, loving and yet tender kiss on her lips. "Baby, I want you to stay calm; the last thing we need is for you to have a heart episode. Okay?"

"Don, you're really scaring me." Meryl said as he picked up his fork.

Don shook his head. "That is the last thing I want to do; please eat."

"If you'll tell me what in the hell is going on." Meryl said.

Don gave her a small smile as they both ate. "Someone called Tom and started asking about us. Saying he had a vested interest in me and my family."

"What about us?" Meryl asked concerned.

Don knew this would upset her just as much as it had upset him. "This person was concerned if I was really happy. If you really loved me; and if the repeated rumors of you being unfaithful to me are true."

"Does THIS look like I don't love, adore and cherish you?" Meryl asked getting up and showing him a framed picture of the two of them from their trip to Italy only 2 years prior. "Do I look like a woman who is unfaithful to you? I am GUSHING at YOU! YOU are GUSHING at ME!"

Don got up and wrapped his arms around her. "WE know the truth. Our friends and family know the truth. Rumors aren't anything new."

"I'm just tired of it." Meryl sighed. "What else?"

Don led her back to her seat. "I guess he also asked where we were living. Tom of course didn't say anything. He did say how much we love each other and that you have NEVER and would NEVER cheat on me. He didn't get a sense of who he was or what he wanted. He did say that he sounded like an older version of me."

"Which could be digitally fabricated." Meryl said thinking then looked up at Don. "I'm not the target."

Don shook his head. "What do you mean?" 

"We've thought that it was a crazed fan or something. I'm not the target; YOU are the target, Don." Meryl choked. "Whoever this is, is coming after you."

Don reached over and wiped a stray tear. "But why?"

"Somehow I'm involved. I don't know." Meryl said taking a drink of wine.

Don reached over and squeezed her hand. "I'm going to keep you safe."

"I'M going to keep you safe." Meryl choked. "I can't let you get hurt."

Don went over and knelt in front of her as he wiped her tears away. "I know this is upsetting; but we aren't going to let anything happen to each other or our children. Right now, no threats have been made. Just some weird phone calls and questions. Larry is pretty sure it's not Mann so that's good. We KNOW it's not James. Let's eat dinner then we'll call Larry. We have some pretty exciting things coming up: our anniversary, you have promotions for a movie that has a special place in both of our lives cause of everything that went on while you were shooting and also, my brilliant and breathtaking wife is going to be honored at The Kennedy Center in a few months. Lots of good."

"We are together, happy, in love and the children are happy." Meryl said taking a deep breath. "And we're going to STAY that way."

Don nodded as he tried to check her pulse, inconspicuously. "Damn straight, my girl."

***

"Well?" Don asked Larry on the speakerphone as Meryl listened in. "What do you think?"

Larry shook his head. "I don't know; I mean neither of you have been threatened. It's just weird. Maybe it's one of your enemies, Don."

"Enemies?" Meryl gasped. "How in the hell could he have enemies?"

Don rubbed her neck. "Maybe I gave a student a bad grade on a class I taught? I have no idea. Meryl thinks I'm the target."

"It sounds like it, Don." Larry said.

Meryl was getting upset. "But WHY? He's the best god damn person in the world."

"Sweetheart, it's okay." Don said calmly.

Meryl shook her head. "No, it's not. What in the hell have you done?"

"I feel that it is more an attack on us." Don said. "With the questions about Meryl."

Larry nodded. "Could be. Nothing illegal has been done."

"Should we get a private investigator?" Meryl asked. "I will pay anything to keep Don and our family safe."

Don smiled softly. "I would pay anything to keep you and our family safe; but sweetheart, what would they investigate?"

"Don's right, M." Larry sighed. "You could get  a GPS tracker in case this person calls again. Also, if he calls again record it on your cells."

Don nodded. "Okay, we will. Thanks for your help, Larry."

"I don't think I've been much. As soon as it's something illegal I will jump in it. Right now it is just weird and creepy. All I can tell you is to stay aware and know what's going on around you." Larry said. "I know you two will look after each other."

Meryl sighed. "Always."

"You know it." Don sighed. "Thanks again, talk soon." Don then watched Meryl go pick up a picture of them and the kids. He could tell how down she was. "Well, that was fun."

Meryl looked up at Don with tears in her eyes. "I hate this."

"Baby." Don sighed as he took her in his arms. "We're going to be okay."

Meryl nodded as she blinked back tears. "I'm just so tired of the rumors. I mean, you are happy; aren't you? With me, with..."

"Mary Louise Gummer." Don said taking her head into his hands. "You should KNOW that you and our family make me so unbelievably happy. You give me such joy and happiness; more than I could ever put into words."

Meryl pressed her forehead against his. "I just don't like it when people say I've hurt you. I never would, Don, not in any way."

"I know that, Darl." Don said with a kiss to her lips. "I wouldn't hurt you either. You're happy; aren't you?"

Meryl crushed her lips to his. "You and our children bring me the greatest happiness and joy in my life. Not movies. Not awards. Not even being honored by the President. None of that means anything without you and our children."

"I feel the same way." Don said as he wiped her tears. "Feel like a relaxing shower with your husband?"

Meryl sandwiched his hand in both of hers. "Lead the way."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 714 116
4th part of my story started and published in 2014 - 2017 check my works for the previous 3 ~ family is everything
3.8K 224 28
My chapters aren't too long but I try to update frequently, if you want longer chapters just tell me and I'll do it 😊 Thanks for reading! ♥️✨
24.5K 407 61
i wrote this story a couple years back and stopped because no one read it .. im doing a sequel tho because of the requests.. my grammer was really...
26.3K 406 12
I have decided to post some of my older stories. I wrote this one about 7 years ago and it follows Don and Meryl from the beginning. Thank you to tho...