Chapter 62

When Mamie got back into the apartment, she collapsed in tears in her parents' arms. Don and Meryl spent a long time holding and consoling their oldest daughter. Not really saying anything; just letting her cry and yell. They told Mamie they would honor her wishes, of course, and not say anything to the family or anyone else about what was going on with Ben. Soon it was time to get ready to leave for Indianapolis. Mamie and Don were hovering over Meryl after Ben knocked her down, but she insisted she was fine. Don wouldn't let her do anything. She insisted she could help carry bags but they wouldn't hear of it. Soon, they found themselves on a plane to Indianapolis. Don was glad that all the girls slept most of the plane ride; leaving Don to have some one on one time with Henry. They landed the same time as Louisa's plane so after grabbing the rental cars, all the Gummers headed to the hotel and then out to the new Gummer lake house at 10727 Seaside Ct. on Geist Lake.

***

All of the Gummers couldn't believe the amazing, and huge house, Brad had bought. Don and Meryl were thrilled at how surprised Jane was. Brad told her he wanted to surprise everyone with the new house and a family weekend; planning on surprising her and proposing the next night. All of Don's brothers and their families were there as well. Brad had catered in the meal so no one had to do too much work and everyone could just enjoy time together. Meryl didn't know the last time she saw Don so relaxed and happy with his brothers which made her even happier that they made the trip despite her recent pregnancy complications; and everything Mamie was going through.

***

"Darl, you need to stay here and rest." Don said when Brad offered to take everyone on a tour of the house. "There's a lot of stairs in this place; it's over 5,000 square feet."

Meryl pulled Don to the side. "Sweetheart, I really am fine. The baby is fine. It will look weird if I was the only one who didn't go. It probably wouldn't go over well with your mother either."

"I don't give a shit." Don hissed. "You and the baby are much more important than my mother."

Brad noticed his son and daughter-in-law in the corner, whispering. He also noticed how his son hovered over his wife more than normal that night. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine." Meryl said winking at Don. "I really am."

Don shook his head. "I'm worried about her; she had an incident a few days ago and has preeclampsia now."

"We could have figured something else out." Brad said. "You didn't have to come all this way."

Meryl sighed. "The doctor said it was fine. I'm fine. The baby is fine. I want us all here. I also fell today but am FINE."

"I want you to be okay." Don sighed not knowing his mother was coming over to them. "I want the baby to be okay."

Jane's ears perked up. "Is there something wrong with the baby?"

"What?" Brad, Don and Meryl all said at the same time.

Jane pointed to Susie. "I know Susie is getting close to popping. Everything okay?"

"We're just worried first time grandparents." Meryl said covering. "She is fine, and the baby is fine."

Don nodded in agreement with his wife. "We just want to make sure they are."

"Well, let's do this tour then everyone can sit." Brad pointed out. "Right, Mer?"

Meryl smiled at her father-in-law. "Absolutely."

"Come on, Brad." Jane said grabbing Brad's hand. "I can't wait to show everyone."

Don pulled Meryl back. "We go sit down if you need to."