Brooklyn's Queen: A Spot Conl...

By queenofnewsies23

Finley Kelly, the little sister of the famous Jack Kelly. She's the only girl newsie in all of New York, and... More

Intro
Chapter 1: Carrying The Banner
Chapter 2: You learn from Jack, you learn from the best
Chapter 3: Girl?
Chapter 4: Darkness
Chapter 5: The World Will Know
Chapter 6: Ambassadors
Chapter 7: Spot Conlon
Chapter 8: Seize the Day
Chapter 9: Those Eyes
Chapter 10: Brooklyn Is Here!
Chapter 11: You's A Brave Goil
Chapter 12: Jack 'ill Kill Me
Chapter 13: Perfectly Toned Body
Chapter 14: Any Problems?
Chapter 15: High Times, Hard Times
Chapter 16: Our Man Denton
Chapter 17: I Don't Understand
Chapter 18: You's Stabbed Us All In The Back
Chapter 19: Firery Goils
Chapter 20: John Davis
Chapter 21: The World Will Feel The Fire and Finally Know
Chapter 22: Dear Old Brotha
Chapter 23: You's Spot's goil?
Chapter 24: Thank Ya, I Mean It
Chapter 25: Harry from Queens
Chapter 26: Guess That Lucky Guy Is You
Chapter 27: About, You and Spot
Chapter 28: Business
Chapter 29: Girls Night Out
Chapter 30: Murderers in New York
Chapter 31: Still Living In Brooklyn
Chapter 32: Comin' to 'hattan
Chapter 34: Us?
Chapter 35: Wit and Maisy
Chapter 36: Caught
Chapter 37: Awake
Chapter 38: Cookies
Chapter 39: I Love You

Chapter 33: Who Disobeyed My Orders

3.9K 70 57
By queenofnewsies23

McGee and I began to walk back to Brooklyn. We then were passing Sarah, David, and Les's apartment building. I then remembered Duke asking about Lillian, and I was going to tell Sarah about it. 

"Wait, wait," I said and stopped in my tracks.

McGee sighed and stopped slowly. "What's it now?"

"Can I's jus see a friend quickly?" I asked sweetly. 

McGee rolled his eyes.

"Please McGee, it'll only be a minute, don't worry." I told him.

He waved me away, indicating I could run up to the building. It was around lunch time, and I was hoping Sarah came home from work today to eat. I ran up the stairs to the 3rd floor and knocked on their door. 

Mrs. Jacobs answered the door. "Ah! Finley! Nice to see you!" She came out and gave me a hug.

"It's nice to see ya too Mrs. Jacobs!" I said. 

"Come in, come in." She indicated. I stepped inside their cozy home. "What can I help you with dear?"

"Is Sarah home today?" I asked. 

"She is in fact, just in the bathroom washing up for lunch. Why don't you stay to eat?" Mrs. Jacobs said. 

I shook my head. "I's wish I could, but I's on a tight schedule. Jus was here in 'hattan and wanted to talk to Sarah."

"Still living in Brooklyn I see." Mrs. Jacobs went over to the sink and began scrubbing the dishes. 

"Yeah, I means, I know Jack's keepin' me safe there. It's become so dangerous." I told her.

She shook her head in disappointment. "These murderers are just terrible, terrible! Why go after poor, innocent children. Its such a shame."

Sarah then walked out of the bathroom and saw me. "Finn!" She ran over to me and gave me a hug. I smiled and hugged her back. 

"What are you doing here?" Sarah asked. 

We each released each other and I faced her. "I's was in da neighborhood and jus wanted to talk to ya quickly." 

"I'll leave you two alone for a few minutes." Mrs. Jacobs excused herself from the room.

Sarah and I sat down at the table they had set up for lunch. 

"So, what brings you to Manhattan?" Sarah asked. 

"Well, I's was here to see da boys, I's had to afta, Skittery..." I looked down, not wanting to talk about it because I knew I would cry again.

Sarah reached over and grabbed my hand. "I'm so sorry about Skittery, Finn." 

I took a deep breath and continued talking. "Well, do yous know a guy named Duke from Brooklyn?" 

"Name sounds familiar." Sarah said. 

"I's was talkin' to him yesterday, and he's said he really likes Lillian!"

"No way!" Sarah squealed. "Yay Lillian! But, wait, I don't know this guy."

I chuckled. "Well, I's do, and he's super nice, and caring, and I's wouldn't have tried to set it up if he ain't a good guy. Trust me Sarah, theys would be a great couple."

Sarah smiled. "Okay, yes, then let's set something up for them!" 

"Perfect!" I stood up from the chair. "I's sorry to have to rush, but I's really gotta go, Spot's gonna be mad that I's disappeared for dis long, but, wills ya be able to make it too Brooklyn one of these days?"

"Yes, I think I can make it tomorrow, my boss is leaving for vacation in the afternoon, so all workers have a half day tomorrow."

"Great! I'll finish my papes early. Bring the girls, it'll be nice to see dem too." I told her and gave her one last hug. "See ya tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow." Sarah said. "We miss you here Finn."

"I knows, I'll be back soon, don't worry." I told her.

I walked over to the door and opened it. McGee stood outside by the door.

"Yous finally done?" He asked. I nodded. "No, surprise stops on da way back?"

I shook my head. "Nope, I's all good."

McGee nodded and we started our way back. We came to the dock and found Red standing outside smoking a cigar. We walked up to him and McGee motioned to him to give him a smoke. Red handed McGee the cigar.

"Yous betta get inside Finn, Spot's been lookin' for ya." Red told me.

"I's wasn't gone for long." I complained and went to go into Spot's room.

"Yeah, but he's couldn't find ya, hope ya have a good excuse." Red went back to smoking his cigar. I walked up to the door and knocked.

"Who's there?" 

"Me, Finn." I said. 

I heard footsteps and Spot threw open the door. "Finn, where yous been?" Spot gave me an angry look. 

I stepped inside his room. "Listen Spot, I's-"

"Where, did ya go?" Spot asked again.

I looked down at my shoes. "'hattan."

Spot rubbed the back of his neck. "Do yous know how dangerous that was, Finn? Those murderers are afta newsies, and yous one of dem! I's can't imagine, I's can't loose ya."

"Spot,I knows, I's was careful and look," I grabbed his hand. "I's fine, and I's had to see them, afta what happened..."

Spot ran his hands through his hair. "Finley, I understands, but yous ain't goin' any where alone, eva again, you hear?"

"I's wasn't alone." I whispered, I tried to make it low enough so that he didn't hear me, but that failed.

Spot narrowed his eyes. "Who brought ya?"

I looked into his blue eyes. They caught me, and I couldn't let go. "No one." 

"Finley, who's disobeyed my orders, and brought ya too Manhattan?" Spot asked.

"I's said no one Spot!" My voice got a bit louder. "You's know, yous don't need to knows everythin' all the time! You's can let some thin's go!"

"I's can't do that." Spot said. "I's the leader of Brooklyn, the King of Brooklyn, people haveta listen to me, and when they don't, they pay."

"What, yous can't do dis for your girl? What, do I's not matta to ya? I's should have a say in this!" I found myself yelling now. 

Spot was getting angrier. "Who brought ya?" He was yelling too.

My breaths were short and my fists were almost clenched. I have never been so mad at him. I get it, he was the top guy around here, but if I told him McGee brought me, he would be punishing his best friend. I could not let that happen. 

"Finely," Spot's voice became lower. "I's know you may not like what gonna happen next, but yous need to tell me, now." 

I shook my head and scoffed at him. "No, yous don't."

"God damn it Finn!" He was get frustrated. He slammed his fists on the desk. This startled me and I jumped a bit at the noise. Spot closed his eyes and leaned him self on the desk.

"You don'ts understand, tis what happens 'round here, yous just have to deal wit the fact-"

"That fact that what?" I yelled. "Yous stronga than any one else? Yous, da king of Brooklyn? What Spot, tell meh? No one else knows but me and the person that took me, keep it that ways."

Spot got up and started towards the door. "I'lls find out Finley."

And then he left. I sat down on the bed. I brushed my hands through my hair, trying to relieve the stress. Spot and I had never fought before. I just didn't understand why he had to punish McGee, all because of me. I then realized something, I broke the rules, I was one who disobeyed his orders. I was still so mad at Spot, that I didn't think in the moment. 

I threw open the door and found him talking to Zip, Mac, and Bud. I stomped my feet to him and grabbed his arm. 

"Punish me then, King of Brooklyn!" I said, pointing at me. Spot just looked at me like I was crazy, trying to keep this under the radar for now. I wanted others to hear it. "Come on, I's disobeyed your orders. I's was the one who broke yous rules."

"Finn, enough." He glared at me.

"No, come on king, if yous need to make a statment, make one rights now!" I narrowed my eyes at him.

Spot grabbed my arm tightly. "Thats enough." He said sharply.

I looked around me and saw other boys starting to stare. I caught the gaze of McGee, who looked at me like 'don't push it'. My fists clenched and I looked back at Spot. He still had an angry look in his ice blue eyes. The red and blue clashed together. I shoved his grip off my arm and scoffed at him.

My voiced lowered. "Yous can control all dese boys, but yous can't control me, and if yous can't live wit that, you can find youself anotha goil."

I turned and walked back into Spot's room, not looking behind me once. I needed to rest and take a breather. I sat on the bed and took deep breaths. The sun light was growing weaker every minute, and soon it would be gone. I didn't want night to come, because that meant Spot was going to come in here. I was not ready to be with him right now. I heard some commotion outside, but I ignored it. Sometimes the boys picked on each other, and that wound up in a fight in the end. 

The darkness finally came and I was tired. Spot still had not come to the room. I went over to the sink and washed my face. I then slipped off my shoes and curled up under the covers. Spot still wasn't here. I watched the door, but there was no sign of him. I finally dozed off and my eyes began to close on me. I guess Spot was giving me as much room as possible. It was late, and I finally fell asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 152 18
"I'm the queen of New York!" In which, Annabeth Kelly faces many challenges amongst being a Newsie in Manhattan, New York. Alongside her is Jack Kell...
111K 2K 25
{Y/N} Kelly gets herself into some complicated situations. A girl posing as a boy to escape law enforcement and an overprotective brother that doesn'...
14.3K 326 31
Dixie Kelly is none other than Jack Kelly's younger sister. The other Newsies will describe her as kind-hearted, loving, mischievous, beautiful and s...
140K 2.6K 39
Little sister of Jack Kelly, Kenny Kelly, works for Joseph Pulitzer along with the rest of the newsboys. But as Pulitzer raises the price of the news...